Why do you live where you live?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BUBear29

Why do you live where you live?

Post by BUBear29 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi Bogleheads,

I was wondering why people choose to live where they live?

I am from Texas, live in Texas now (Southlake (Dallas area). I used to live in Denver for a period of time /and absolutely loved it. I really enjoy Southlake as I now have a young daughter and one more on the way (April). Recently I find myself asking why I am where I am. I love Denver and Colorado and always dreamed of living there, but I moved back to TX a few years ago for a job promo (could move back to Denver almost anytime and keep the same job).

Southlake has the best schools in TX (arguably) and is a wondeful place to live for families, but at what point do you do what you want to do (live where you want to live) vs do what is “prudent”.

I have been asking myself this question across many areas of my life lately, and I am curious of other BH’s thoughts.

Thanks
Last edited by BUBear29 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

StandingRock

Re: Why do you live where you live?

Post by StandingRock » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:47 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm
Hi Bogleheads,

I was wondering why people choose to live where they live?

I am from Texas, live in Texas now (Southlake (Dallas)) area. I used to live in Denver for a period of time /and absolutely loved it. I really enjoy Southlake as I now have a young daughter and one more on the way (April). Recently I find myself asking why I am where I am. I love Denver and Colorado and always dreamed of living there, but I moved back to TX a few years ago for a job promo (could move back to Denver almost anytime and keep the same job).

Southlake has the best schools in TX (arguably) and is a wondeful place to live for families, but at what point do you do what you want to do (live where you want to live) vs do what is “prudent”.

I have been asking myself this question across many areas of my life lately, and I am curious of other BH’s thoughts.

Thanks
I live where I live 100% so I can make enough money to live where I want.

IPS&IPA

Post by IPS&IPA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Just out of high school I travelled a bit and met a girl.
I fell in love with her and fell in love with where she was from.
She is long gone but I still love where I live.
Had nothing to do with opportunity, I would never live somewhere I didn't love.
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses. Jake: Hit it.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:58 pm

I was not born in Texas, but I got here as soon as possible.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Well, I'll play. SYRACUSE, NY

I moved here from Manhattan (which we also loved) because I was recruited for a job.
But I think, implied in your question is why are you still living where you live?
After fifteen years, we decided to remain in this town when retirement starts (Dec), because:
1. It must be said: we love snow. We get a lot of it. Snowshoeing.
2. LCOL area---one of the lowest cost housing markets in the nation, great historic homes cheap.
3. Summer=70F days, green and cool, never have to water the lawn.
4. See above, we're gardeners, fabulous climate for gardening.
5. Small town, several universities, very interesting people.
6. Medical care & doctors are excellent; several nationally-rated hospitals.
7. Progressive politics (see #5).
8. Nice art museums & galleries; history & science museums; nearby towns with other options.
9. Great food: restaurants, Wegman's, largest farmer's market in the state.
10. Stone's throw from the Finger Lakes Wine District for jaunts.
11. Four hour drive to Manhattan; or by train; also Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal.
12. Perfect airport; large enough, small enough.
13. Summer world-class opera company nearby; great theater hereabouts.
14. Fall is simply glorious.
15. Wonderful Zen Center.
16. 15-20 minute drive to five parks for hiking/snowshoeing/swimming.
17. Nearby dozens of upstate weekend destinations for side trips.
18. Great people. Love the community.

This is ALSO a rustbelt town with poverty and many challenges; we are happy to be part of the solutions.

Our Town. :D You should love where you live. Or you should move.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Washington D.C. Metro area:
- metropolitan area
- excellent public transportation
- easy walking
- parks
- moderate weather
- museums
- live theater
- international film festivals
- comedy scene
- think tanks
- access to political hearings
- embassies
- highly educated people
- the best Bogleheads local group

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Topic Author
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:22 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm

I moved here from Manhattan (which we also loved) because I was recruited for a job.
But I think, implied in your question is why are you still living where you live?
After fifteen years, we decided to remain in this town when retirement starts (Dec), because:
2. LCOL area---one of the lowest cost housing markets in the nation, great historic homes cheap.
8. Nice art museums & galleries; history & science museums; nearby towns with other options.

This is ALSO a rustbelt town with poverty and many challenges; we are happy to be part of the solutions.

While I’m not a “progressive”, it seems I should visit the cuse! Sounds like a lovely area.

My old college FB college is now the head coach of Orange football. I should make an excuse to go up and visit him.
Last edited by BUBear29 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:23 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Nice summary Rus In Urbe

Syracuse born, raised and retired :D

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Born and raised in southern California, completed undergrad and began grad school then decided to move to Utah at 24 on a whim because I joined the LDS church. Stayed for 2yrs before moving to Mesa, Arizona for grad school. Got married and wife got into dental school in Houston, where she was originally from. Begrudgingly moved, but ended up absolutely loving Texas. Completed my PhD, and after 5yrs had every intention of staying in Texas, but got divorced and almost everybody I knew was either family or friends of ex. The day after my divorce was final, packed up my truck and moved back to Utah without a job or even a place to live. At least I had some friends there. Married again 2yrs later and all of my wife's family is here and a lot of my family (parents, 3 of 4 sisters, 1 of 2 brothers) has moved here in the last 5yrs. There are several reasons, that we'll likely stay forever:

1. Best economy in the country for the last several years and booming tech sector (wife is in tech).
2. I'm in a niche area of health and 3 of the 4 largest companies in my industry have their global headquarters within 25 miles of my front door. I work for the biggest and it's the best company I've ever worked for.
3. Very economical higher education options; wife is finishing her undergrad (while working full-time) and we'll highly likely be paying for the education of our 2 kids.
4. Along with most of family here, my In-laws are very financially dependent on us and it is looking like my parents might be pretty soon as well...maybe a reason to leave.
5. Healthy outdoorsy culture. There are two handfuls of great hiking trails within a few miles of my home and several public bike trails; it's just a great area for people that prioritize outdoor activities and physical health.
6. Decent COL and it isn't too crowded...yet.

Without family, wife and I would strongly consider Texas. All we know is absolutely nothing could get us to move back to California (she's originally from Bay Area).

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:29 pm

I live where I live because I was born here and have lived here my entire life with the exception of four years of college. This is home.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Once upon a time, it could have been almost anywhere but the place we are now started with a particular job offer then it became home for us and our family. We are pretty deeply involved in our community and do not have plans to leave.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Sweet Home Alabama.

Moved here from Kansas in 1978 for a job. Retired last year after 40 great years with the employer.

Kids and grandkids all stayed close to home. Family dinner for the whole crew every Tuesday night. Great weather. Great college football.

Why would we leave?

One tip - if you can learn to say “fixin’ to” and “y’all”, you’ll fit right in.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Post by 2015 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:28 pm

The natural beauty takes my breath away.

lws

Post by lws » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:43 pm

SoCal.
May I say more?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm

In the gentrifying urban core of San Diego. We left for a few years for career pursuits, but came back when I retired. We spent several months last year traveling the country. Went to 28 states. Talked to people, got a feeling for a lot of places. Then went home, happy with our decision to live where we live.
  • The weather. When we go someplace then come home, the weather is almost always better at home. Good weather for outdoor activities all the time.
  • The neighborhood. Jane Jacobs said that as neighborhoods gentrify, the people who lived in the neighborhood through the bad years become passionate advocates of the neighborhood. I know from experience this is true.
  • I can walk, bike, or scooter to nearly everything. I drove all of 2000 miles last year.
  • Amazing food within walking distance. Lots of it. Of all types.
  • Walking distance to Balboa Park, the Zoo and most of the museums in town.
  • Bike or a quick Lyft distance from downtown, the central library, shows, nightlife.
  • The airport, being downtown, is an $8 Lyft ride.
  • At parties, nobody asks me what I do for a living or where I work. They don’t care. The culture is not focused on work.
  • I know my neighbors and feel safe walking around at night.
  • My spiritual community is here.
  • My friends are all here.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm

• I prefer cool weather, and relocate seasonally to avoid summer heat.
  • I refuse to pay state income taxes, so choose appropriate states.
  • Very low cost of living means I can have a very high savings rate.
  • I prefer the presence of a college or military base for purposes of tenant availability for my rentals.
  • Mountains. Must have mountains.
  • I prefer the people and attitudes of the "Old West" portions of the US. I will never again live east of 102 deg W within the U.S.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Amphian

Post by Amphian » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:10 pm

I'm in Denver because I got a job here when things fell apart in the last recession. I now work 100% remotely and can't wait to leave, but there are reasons for me to wait until fall 2020. My lease runs through September, and my particular project at work would benefit from my not taking time off to move in the next year or so, since I already need to take time off this year for some family-related things. Partly, I also haven't figured out where I want to go - back to the city I loved before the recession or somewhere new. If the lease renewal is awful, maybe I will pull the trigger this year, but otherwise I will wait. I could also end up staying here longer depending on my next project at work, but I hope not.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Why? Family and at one time my job.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:19 pm

I live next to Vanguard HQ to keep an eye on my money!

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Came to Atlanta in a corporate relocation from Oregon during a merger when I was in my late 40's but we planned on moving somewhere else when I retired.

The choice was move or be laid off and there were other reasons too but the move to Atlanta turned out to be the right choice.

By the time I retired my son was grown and married to a woman that has an extended family here so they are pretty well tied down to Atlanta. Since housing is still reasonable here my son was able to afford to buy a nice house about ten minutes from us. We now have two grand-kids here so there is no way that we would move away now.

It has actually worked out well, especially the finances since just by luck I ended up in one of the few counties that excludes seniors from paying school property taxes. I only paid $750 in property taxes last year on a pretty average house, without the senior exclusion it would have been around $3,000. Georgia also has a retirement income exclusion on the state income taxes of $65K($130K for a couple) so we will not pay state income taxes once we are both 65. Once I start Social Security I can probably manage my income so I will pay well less than a thousand dollars in federal income taxes.

With a paid off house and the low cost of living and taxes I was able to retire just before I turned 59 which is years earlier than I could have retired in Oregon because of the high taxes and cost of living there. Our budget is a lot higher but with our paid off house just Social Security would be about enough to live a frugal lifestyle if we needed to.

July and August are hot but the spring and fall are really nice and the winter is very mild and two inches of snow is an event that does not happen every year.

The flowers are already coming out I and I mowed the yard this morning for the first time this year.
Last edited by Watty on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:23 pm

I live in Kansas City, and the only reason I live here is because I followed a woman here (not my wife, but then I met my wife afterwards).

We plan to leave for warmer climates, but we're waiting for our last kid to finish high school first.

(I'm much nicer than my dad. His generation didn't care what the kids thought. He moved us whenever a good job opened up. I should be more like him).

Edit: But I should say, other than winter, I really like KC. Plenty to do, good food, good sport teams, near lots of water (rivers and lakes), and we don't seem to have any weather related problems like the rest of the country...

I find it amazing watching the news and seeing the NE get blizzards, the SE get flooding and hurricanes, the West get wild fires and mudslides and drought, and here in the middle, nothing ever happens. Even tornadoes, which most people associate with Kansas, seem to hit Oklahoma nowadays. We haven't had a tornado siren go off in like 4-5 years.
The J stands for Jay

Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm

I lived here, there, and everywhere in my 20s - Louisville, Dayton, Cleveland, Rochester, and Santa Monica. Then from 1980 to 1996 I lived in a place that everyday I thought was heaven on earth - Reno NV. Snow capped Mount Rose always in sight and great hiking all around. I especially loved hiking in the Sawtooth range outside of Bridgeport CA. Then heaven turned into hell. And can you guess why? The gangs came in and it became nothing but drugs, graffiti, and lots of crime. Since then by mere happenstance I ended up living in a small farming community of 14,000 in south central KY - Glasgow.

Glasgow is by far hands down the absolute best place I have ever lived. Call me old fashioned but living here is like going back in time 40 years or more. Friendliest people I have ever encountered, family values like in the 50s, and you can walk the streets late into the night. Concerts during the summer on a picturesque town square. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] All in all kind of like living in the fictional Mayberry. It also didn't hurt that much to my surprise I met the love of my life here. A good old fashioned soft and sweet woman - a rarity in this day and time.
Last edited by Trader/Investor on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Trader/Investor wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm
I lived here, there, and everywhere in my 20s - Louisville, Dayton, Cleveland, Rochester, and Santa Monica. Then from 1980 to 1996 I lived in a place that everyday I thought was heaven on earth - Reno NV. Snow capped Mount Rose always in sight and great hiking all around. I especially loved hiking in the Sawtooth range outside of Bridgeport CA. Then heaven turned into hell. And can you guess why? The gangs came in and it became nothing but drugs, graffiti, and lots of crime. Since then by mere happenstance I ended up living in a small farming community of 14,000 in south central KY - Glasgow.
Glasgow is by far hands down the absolute best place I have ever lived. Call me old fashioned but living here is like going back in time 40 years or more. Friendliest people I have ever encountered, family values like in the 50s, and you can walk the streets late into the night. Concerts during the summer on a picturesque town square. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] All in all kind of like living in the fictional Mayberry. It also didn't hurt that much to my surprise I met the love of my life here. A good old fashioned soft and sweet woman - a rarity in this day and time.

Outstanding! It is a very nice area.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:21 pm

I’m in the Bay Area. We live where we do because life is good to us here. Reasons include:
-Family is nearby. Both sets of parents live a few minutes away and my sister and her family are our next-door neighbors so our daughter can play with her cousins every day and visit grandparents often
-We are friends with many of our neighbors
-The weather is outstanding
-There are lots of activities to enjoy (museums, theater, restaurants, beaches, wine country)
-Our neighborhood is nice
-The schools are excellent
-We like our home
-I absolutely love my job (very fun and fulfilling and offers reasonable hours)

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Los Angeles

Diverse and accepting communities.
Support from family and friends (been here 20 years).
Great economy and wide range of companies and jobs.
Nature, can snowboard in the morning and go for a mid afternoon beach trip on the same day.
Travel hub.
Hands down entertainment capital with arts and sports.
Endless count of acclaimed restaurants at all price level.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Retired 2 yrs. ago & moved back into family house I inherited several years before that (my choice of the estate distribution)

Good set of compromises for me: college town - house within walking distance of both campus & downtown; a good base to explore the western US & Canada. Agricultural area ( ie not too crowded) with both mountains & canyon areas nearby. Small local airport (easy in /out - much fewer hassles than dealing with large metro airport as the base). All four seasons but nothing too extreme weather wise. Downsides are manageable (lack of good ethnic food - I can make a foodie trip now & then) Summers (I dislike hot weather which is just about everywhere in summer) - read books in basement or go to higher latitudes / elevations.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Proximity to the beaches and relaxing lifestyle. Plus I’ve been here in SoCal for nearly 45 years, I know this area very well.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:37 pm

Denver suburb

Positives:
1. Great outdoor activities/opportunities to spend time in nature.
2. Fit/healthy population: culture of fitness is very strong.
3. Sunshine approximately 300 days of the year.
4. One of the strongest economies in the U.S.
5. Good opportunities to attend cultural events, museums, etc.
6. Central location within the US makes it easy to fly to other parts of the country/decent competition among airlines = reasonable flight costs.
7. Amazing local, state, and national parks. I love to hike.
8. Highly educated workforce.
9. Safe/low crime.
10. Very few bugs.
11. Low humidity.
12. Great public library system.

Downsides:
1. Rising home prices, not affordable for many younger people. I may relocate to lower cost area in order to ER a couple years earlier than I would otherwise, although I love it here 95% of the time. Would prefer to downsize to a townhouse in the Denver metro area some day, but they currently cost as much as my home, so there would be no cost savings. :(
2. Overcrowding/poorly designed roads (in Denver metro area, not in my 'burb.)
3. Forecast is for -4 degrees tonight. I hate cold.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:44 pm

Blaine, WA:

1. I thought it would be best to live close to my in-laws.
2. I wanted less than a 15 min commute (9 min right now).
3. Cheaper than surrounding areas (more house for less $).
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:03 pm

Lived the same place that i was born. Family is a big reason, but to be honest with myself, me and my wife don't like change. I do agree that for many people, moving can be a positive change for economical and happiness reasons. You should live where you and your spouse want to be, not where others want you to be.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Twin Cities

For us, so far, it’s completely because of jobs. We’re managing to get debt free / max retirement accounts with hopes in the near future to move. We also recently had a kid and we are now ‘tricking’ ourselves that MN is the only good place to raise a child. Truth is, I’ve lived in 3 cities and have found I liked all.

We don’t love it here. It’s certainly a good place, but not lovable. Weather plays a big role.

DH is eligible for law reciprocity in about 10 months now too.

Let’s put it another way. If we make the same HHI and could live anywhere, it wouldn’t be here. But I do love the fair.

Maybe I’ll repost in June.

Charlieville

Post by Charlieville » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Des Moines, IA. Born and raised here. Great place to raise a family. Growing vibrant downtown. Whole area is growing. Good jobs lower cost of living. Commute times are very good. Great restaurant scene. Triple A Cubs farm baseball team, two hockey teams. However, we have had a foot of snow on the ground for two months. Weather tolerable but I grew up here what do I know.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:11 pm

Huntington Beach, CA. 1 block to the beach, year round weather of 55-75 degrees, less than an hour for decent snowboarding/skiing, 5 hours for world class snowboarding/skiing and resort is often open until July, a variety of high end cuisines close by, half a dozen yearly high level bridge tournaments are within proximity. My requirements are good weather, close to beach, good food options, access to ski resorts, and good bridge tournaments close by.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:12 pm

The weather. No more shoveling snow or scraping ice.

LFKB

Post by LFKB » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:14 pm

I live in LA

Best weather in world
Beautiful landscape along the ocean
Great restaurants, nightlife, golf, hiking, sports and entertainment
My job is here

The only reason I don’t like living here is the taxes

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:20 pm

I grew up on the southern coast of England. Winters were brutal. Storms would dump 4 ft of snow. Then we moved to London. All of my childhood memories involve gloomy weather and rain.

Hated it.

When I was 8, I publicly vowed I would move to southern California.

Been here 20 years. This place is fantastic!

heathshuler

Post by heathshuler » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:45 pm

First 25 years were spent in Virginia. The last 13 years we’ve been enjoying life in Charleston SC. Given the increasing acceptance of remote work status, I feel safe saying I will live the rest of my life out either here, in Beaufort SC, or St. Simons Island GA. The Lowcountry life is for me....simple as that. The landscape, the food, the golf, beaches and boating, golf carting to the kids’ bus stop each morning and afternoon, golf carting to the pool from April to September, and being surrounded by other people who are happy and love where they live.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:02 am

Raised in a Northern midwest big city and hated every minute of it. Got out right after college and my first real job. Made several moves to 3 other large cities in the Southern US during 38 year career with mostly Fortune 100 companies.

Retired 3 years ago to a small town near the Gulf Coast and love it. Peaceful safe small town vibe and culture, friendly people, lots of activities for active retirees, wonderful warm weather, relaxed lifestyle, minimal traffic, and LCOL. Will never leave. Most surprising to me is that I have learned to love small town life and also come to realize that I hate almost everything about big cities with a passion - too many rats in the cage.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:33 am

I came here (a small town in the South) because I was offered a job here, more than 30 years ago. In my line of work (small-college teaching with the possibility of tenure), you're doing well to get one job offer per search. So I came down here after having grown up and gotten my Ph.D. in the Midwest, and taught in a temporary position in the Northeast.

I stayed here because (a) I met my wife here (another ex-Northerner who came here because there was a teaching job for her), (b) we both got tenure here in due course, (c) we decided we like the small-town lifestyle, and (d) I figured I'd be unlikely to find a similar teaching position elsewhere if I tried. If push came to shove, I would have had to switch to a different kind of job, probably programming-related.

Now I'm retired and my wife is semi-retired (still teaches part time). We still live here because (a) she still teaches here, (b) the cost of living is low here, (c) most of our friends are here, and (d) we have no compelling reason to move somewhere else.
Last edited by 22twain on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

baritone

Post by baritone » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:50 am

mickeyd wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:58 pm
I was not born in Texas, but I got here as soon as possible.
I was raised in Texas. When I left, it felt like I got parole.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:52 am

Because I like it here.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

mancich

Post by mancich » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:45 am

Lower Dutchess County NY here. Moved here from Albany 17 years ago for my job. Beautiful outdoors, Appalachian Trail is nearby, gorgeous in Fall. Warm summers, relatively cold winters with moderate snow. Easy trip to NYC, Jersey Shore, or New England. NYS taxes are not fun, but I'm a Northeasterner at heart, so I don't see us moving. Big downside for me (for job) is that major airports are about 75 minutes+ away (LGA or JFK) and I hate traffic down in that area. But overall like it here very much.

Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:51 am

Born and raised in Montana....but it's gotten so expensive and is colder than Hades...just never left because of family. I love to ski but Spring is awful, just more Winter without skiing since the Forest Service makes the ski hills close for bear habitat etc.

I hate humidity so I would consider moving to a warmer place that has more things going on without feeling wet all the time....maybe Arizona or Nevada? Southern Utah would be a great place as well with nice outdoor stuff and still some pro sports in Salt Lake and a short drive to Vegas....hmmmmm

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:31 am

I moved to NH in 1983 when I got out of college. My goal was to live in a place where most everyone drove to for vacation. It made me feel as if I was on vacation everyday. Great four season activities, skiing, canoeing, fishing, hiking. Moved further north five years ago as my former town was discovered as a retirement place for the wealthy. The flavor of the town changed over five years, so I knew it was time to go. Our new town is close to fly fishing, high peak hiking and great skiing. We did lose three weeks in the growing season which saddens my wife, but that is the only downside.

pharmermummles

Post by pharmermummles » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:41 am

Small town Wisconsin. I was born here, all of my family is here. I am a huge fan of the smiling midwestern culture and I'm half an hour from the Packers.

There are some practical reasons too. LCOL area means I can save like crazy and unleash my inner Boglehead. Also, my career field (pharmacist) has a lot to do with it. Unlike a lot of careers, I wouldn't make substantially more if I moved to a HCOL area since the field is growing saturated in the bigger cities (and I may actually make less in some areas). I also enjoy job security I wouldn't necessarily have in more saturated areas from what I hear from colleagues.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 am

4 colleges and universities. This is where I lived since 1972, worked in and retired in, within 100 miles from large cities such as Chicago, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, St. Louis but those are not the real reason. My wife of 59 years does not want to move.....so what can I do?
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:13 am

Grew up in went to university in Louisiana. Knew from a pretty early age that I didn't want to stay there, though I don't think my Mom ever actually believed it till I actually moved away. Degree was electrical engineering so I knew I would relocate after college for the sub-disciplines that interested me most. Most interviews when I was a senior in college were in TX and I landed my first job in Houston. Might have disliked living there even more than living in Louisiana. After 6 months, changed jobs and moved to Austin and here I've been since 1984, except for a 2 year expat assignment in Germany. Daughter will go off to college this fall and we're contemplating where we're going to live in retirement. Doubtful it will be in Austin - costs (especially property taxes) have gone up, traffic is all kinds of awful, and summers are hot. Some think it's humid, too, but those tend to be people who never lived in southeast Louisiana. :D

Beginning the early search as to where we'll downsize to.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:14 am

StandingRock wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:47 pm
I live where I live 100% so I can make enough money to live where I want.
That's mostly my approach, too.

I will add that my plan to maximize the savings and investments that I can reap from my location and job includes simultaneously saying "no" to most of the things that suck up people's after-tax income: family, children, expensive house, car loans, etc.

Some of these sacrifices are tough; others are not. Lumped altogether, I call it "discipline," and it's much, much harder to achieve than to say.

I believe that it's been much, much harder for members of my generation (and the younger generations today) to have the same kind of lifestyle that our parents did while securing our futures. The lifestyle includes kids, house, and one earner. That kind of life puts a huge strain today on even two-income high earners. The only way out, from my point of view, was to recognize that the game has changed and to start saying no to what the previous generation took for granted.

Clearly I'm not alone. The birthrate is down and continuing to drop. People are saying no marriages, houses, and cars like never before.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:55 am

"Clearly I'm not alone. The birthrate is down and continuing to drop."
Does not appear to be a significant recent trend....
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... rths-women

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:00 am

Lots and lots of sunny days
Culture
Beaches
Tons of tennis
LCOL
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.