2014 CR-V Heater Core Flush cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kalo

2014 CR-V Heater Core Flush cost

Post by Kalo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 pm

I own a 2014 CR-V purchased new. 69K miles on it now. Heater was not blowing very hot in the sub zero temps we've had this winter, and dealer says heater core needs a special flush that takes a few hours. Quoted price $700. I looked it up online and it's a known issue with 2013 and 2014 CR-V's where the driver side of the heater core gets clogged and needs this flush. Honda sent a special pump to dealers to do the process and in the instructions to it that I found online it says the mechanic does not need to monitor the process once it's going. Just hook it up and walk away while it flushes.

I declined the service at the time. Price seems to high to me. I feel it's a $200 to $300 job. I can check other dealers or mechanics but since Honda sent a special pump to the dealers, I am concerned that only a dealer can do this. Winter is almost over now and the heater works fine as long as it's +10 degrees or above, so I feel I can wait until fall or my next oil change to have this done.

Any thoughts on the price they're asking for this? I'm thinking of asking them why it's so high if the mechanic doesn't have to monitor the pump while it runs. Seems to me the mechanic can work on other jobs during that time.

Thanks in advance.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

ncbill

Re: 2014 CR-V Heater Core Flush cost

Post by ncbill » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm

What do online Honda forums recommend?

I just got the heater core on our minivan flushed out with plain water (partially clogged after 15 years) at my local mechanic for $20.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 pm

For $700 I would do it myself. I haven't needed to do that repair for 20 years now, but it's easy and cheap. Google if you're so inclined. In general, don't get general repairs done at dealers. You're paying for expertise and branding you don't need.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:22 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:15 pm
For $700 I would do it myself. I haven't needed to do that repair for 20 years now, but it's easy and cheap. Google if you're so inclined. In general, don't get general repairs done at dealers. You're paying for expertise and branding you don't need.
I agree. You could do this with the help of google.

Or you could find an independent mechanic to do it for probably a third of the price, maybe less.

JT

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 pm

I just looked on line, and a new heater core (aftermarket, not OE) can be had for $54 to $138. Of course that is in a box -- installation is extra.

I would be strongly tempted to ask an independent mechanic about replacement of the core instead of flushing the old one...

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 pm

CurlyDave wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 pm
I just looked on line, and a new heater core (aftermarket, not OE) can be had for $54 to $138. Of course that is in a box -- installation is extra.

I would be strongly tempted to ask an independent mechanic about replacement of the core instead of flushing the old one...
Couldn't hurt to ask. In my experience, unfortunately, it's always seemed like they suspend the heater core from a wire going down the assembly line and construct the rest of the car to completely surround it.
Semper Augustus

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:21 pm

Teague wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:15 pm
CurlyDave wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Couldn't hurt to ask. In my experience, unfortunately, it's always seemed like they suspend the heater core from a wire going down the assembly line and construct the rest of the car to completely surround it.
LOL. Yes, one does not simply replace a heater core. Clean it until it works or until it leaks, then replace.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:41 am

Depending on the area, replacement cost can be hefty!

https://repairpal.com/estimator/honda/c ... ement-cost

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 am

ncbill wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:54 pm
What do online Honda forums recommend?
This is what I would recommend. See how others have dealt with this issue.

Had the drivers side heater core fail on my wife's Range Rover two years ago. Dealer wanted $3,500 + tax to do the repair. Said the entire dash, center console and front seats had to come out of the car. Contacted several after market Land Rover certified tech's. Quotes were mostly in the $2,000 range. Then came upon an independent certified tech outside of Philly who said he would do it for roughly $1,100 out the door. He got the job and did it without issue. Said that although the recommended LR procedure requires taking all the stuff out, if you know what you are doing (have done it before) you don't need to do all that. It's cramped but can be done for much less effort. I bring this up to say many independent guys can probably do it for a fraction of the time the Honda manual indicates. Start with the forum and then make some calls. Ask what equipment they have to do the flush (and how it compares to the one Honda claims is made specifically for the procedure).

Good luck.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

rashad3000

Post by rashad3000 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am

I'm curious, was there not a recall for this, since it has been such a widespread issue?

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am

rashad3000 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 am
I'm curious, was there not a recall for this, since it has been such a widespread issue?
Recalls cost the manufacturer a lot. They are generally reserved for significant safety issues. If the steering wheel tended to fall off, that's a recall. But a car that doesn't heat the interior enough on the coldest days is not recall material.
Semper Augustus

rashad3000

Post by rashad3000 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am

Teague wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am
rashad3000 wrote:
Recalls cost the manufacturer a lot. They are generally reserved for significant safety issues. If the steering wheel tended to fall off, that's a recall. But a car that doesn't heat the interior enough on the coldest days is not recall material.
OK, thanks for the explanation. I thought manufacturers recall anything that was a defect that impacts a good amount of people. I didn't know that it was only safety-related.

Thanks!

German Expat

Post by German Expat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 am

Looks like somebody just did it themselves and I would assume a good independent mechanic should be able to do it too. Assuming its 3 hours of work and then some material it should be a lot less then 300. Also most of the time is just waiting for it to finish.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14 ... ore-5.html

Also there is the service bulletin from Honda:

https://f01.justanswer.com/clmcr8/3cc24 ... lusher.pdf

Also see nice step by step in the link here:

https://honda.oemdtc.com/264/low-heat-f ... honda-cr-v

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:39 am

rashad3000 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 am
Teague wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am
rashad3000 wrote:
OK, thanks for the explanation. I thought manufacturers recall anything that was a defect that impacts a good amount of people. I didn't know that it was only safety-related.

Thanks!
Separate from recalls, sometimes manufacturers will issue a policy of fixing a non-safety defect for free or at a discount. Those usually require you to show up at the dealer with the particular problem. Those policies aren't always publicized, but in the Internet age word tends to get around.
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
Kalo

Post by Kalo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate all the info.

Thanks to German Expat for the links. I'll check them out.

I haven't fixed my issue yet because I decided to wait, since winter is over. Will have to do something before next winter.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:00 pm

I find it interesting that Honda recommends using CLR to flush mineral buildup out of the heater core of a 2014 vehicle. If the cooling system is intact, and hasn't been contaminated by high mineral content water or non-spec coolant, Honda's Long-Life Coolant (120kmiles/10yr life) should resist such a a build-up. There are many coolant orifices in an engine smaller than those in a typical heater core--I'd be concerned about other coolant obstructions causing hot spots and block/head warping. Not really sure what's going on with Honda these days.