Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mcgarrett
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 12:42 pm

Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by mcgarrett » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:34 pm

I apologize for a very basic question, but I admit to being rather unsophisticated with newer technology. I am hoping to discontinue my landline phone and ultimately keep this number and use Google Voice. Through the forum, I have learned that this requires porting the # to a cellular carrier and then porting the number to Google Voice. I'm getting a runaround at my local AT&T store about how to do this without paying a lot for a phone, and to get an inexpensive phone they try to commit you to a contract. I would prefer to simply find a cheap unlocked phone that could be activated on T-mobile (this approach was suggested on a previous thread using a Ting SIM card, which apparently works on T-mobile phones), but I am having trouble as to where to get such a phone. E-bay has dozens of listings, but it is difficult to determine whether the phone would fit my needs based on seller descriptions. I thought I would just buy a phone and buy a SIM card and pop it in and be up and running, but it might not be so simple. I would feel more secure using a retailer that could walk me through this, but the Big Box store I tried does not sell phone compatible with T-mobile, and their AT&T compatible phones are either expensive or have terrible reviews, although I realize I might only need the phone temporarily. They also seem to push some form of contract. Any shopping advice would be greatly appreciated.

McGarrett

letsgobobby
Posts: 12078
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:37 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoHeat
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:13 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by NoHeat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Costco.com has several unlocked phones, the cheapest are LG K30 16GB at $169.99 and Moto G6 32 GB at $239.99. As usual, Costco may not have the cheapest price for electronics, but they offer tech support.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... cked+phone

Horsefly
Posts: 508
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:13 am
Location: Colorado, mostly

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by Horsefly » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Amazon has several models of the Moto G6 unlocked for less than $200 right now.

I've got the Moto G5 Plus, and it's the best phone I've ever owned.

btenny
Posts: 5144
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by btenny » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:03 pm

Go to Best Buy and ask them to port your existing land line phone number to a new unlocked cell phone. They sell dozens of low costs phones. See below. I am partial to the Motorola G series phones. They work fine and are low cost ($150ish) and do everything. Try out several then pick one you like. You can get the phone initialized and hooked up to the network of your choice (ATT, Verizon, T Mobile, etc.) all at Best Buy. You can do a month to month pay as you go phone or prepaid setup, your choice. Best Buy is not the cheapest store around but the service is pretty good and they do everything all at once and explain the trade offs. So no waiting and lots of choices.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage ... act+phones
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mobile-cel ... lsrc=aw.ds

Good Luck.

deskjockey
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:15 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by deskjockey » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Amazon has dirt-cheap unlocked phones, including feature phones like this one. It should be pretty easy to active one of these feature phones on any network--pop in the SIM card and you're done.

If you truly are looking to use this phone only as a bridge to then move the number to Google Voice (and will then toss or not use the cell), a feature phone is the way to go given the prices.

The one I've linked to is a GSM phone, so it will work on T-mobile and Ting. Note that, to port your landline number to the cell, you will have to deal with the cell company on the phone and there's little or nothing a store can help you with there.

Edit to add that feature phones go from $20 up, so they are significantly cheaper than a smartphone.

Katietsu
Posts: 2535
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by Katietsu » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:43 pm

I spent $15 on a AT&T prepaid phone at the grocery store. Then signed up for a $10 a month cell phone plan. I would think if you are comfortable using this forum and converting to google voice, you should be able to handle the cell phone step yourself. You are not going to get this kind of phone at a AT&T store or a Verizon store. Additionally, you do not need an unlocked phone if this is meant to be temporary. Find a phone that is locked to a service with a cheap month to month plan that meets your needs. The phone will be subsidized and cost a lot less.

You might want to try Cricket. They have people to help you and they carry lower priced phones with month to month contracts.

As far as ratings and reviews, it depends on what you are going to do with the phone. In other words, if you are just going to talk on it, it does not matter what kind of camera it has.

Have you made sure your number can be ported to google voice? Google Voice does not accept all numbers. Your exchange must be compatible- landlines in my area do not port. Moving it to a cell phone still would not make these numbers port. What device would you use with google voice in your home? Be careful of the date on any article that talks about this plan. A lot of options hav changed since the peak of those articles.
Last edited by Katietsu on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02nz
Posts: 2566
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by 02nz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Best Buy has an unlocked Moto X4 (better than the G series) for $150: https://slickdeals.net/f/12889945-moto- ... BarV2Algo1

This isn't the cheapest unlocked phone you can get but probably the best value, if you'd like to resell it or keep it as a backup.

vu8
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by vu8 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Go on AliExpress, get a global version Xiaomi or Huawei, best money for the spec you can get

desiboy
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by desiboy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:59 pm

You can get iPhone SE's unlocked from Apple directly. They are $249-$299 depending on storage configuration.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/clearance

-desiboy

Topic Author
mcgarrett
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by mcgarrett » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:15 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I might pursue the feature phone idea, as I really only expect to use this phone as a bridge to Google Voice, and then have calls directed by GV to my current iPhone, that I will maintain.

McGarrett

michaelingp
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by michaelingp » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:53 pm

We did this quite a while back, but we didn't use a phone, per se. I'm pretty sure we used the ZTE Wireless Home Phone Base ($50). We were Consumer Cellular customers, so I don't remember other charges. Since Consumer Cellular sells this device specifically for the purpose of porting a land line to cellular, it went very smoothly. I have a feeling that other carriers will try to sell you something. Every time I ask Verizon a simple question the answer is always to go to the store and buy a new phone. We gave the ZTE device to a neighbor after we ported the number to Google Voice. Incidentally, we've been really happy with Google Voice for this application, but since it's a free service, I don't expect it to last forever. Hopefully, if Google terminates the service we'll have some way to keep our number.

I also think buying an inexpensive used phone on eBay would work as well, but there is some risk there that it might not work for your application.

2015
Posts: 2906
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by 2015 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:57 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:37 pm
Moto g series
+1

spectec
Posts: 1433
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by spectec » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm

I've bought a couple of unlocked phones from a local independent storefront repair shop. They were used, but worked just fine. I think I paid $50 for one of them and $60 for the other.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

DarthEnol
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:50 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by DarthEnol » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:14 pm

Right now Simple Mobile, is selling an “open box” iPhone 8/64 GB for $299, plus a minimum $25 for 1 month of service. These phones are in basically new/never used condition and unlocked. I’ve bought two of these.

That phone for that price is an excellent buy.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5023
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm

OP has two distinct needs.

1) Port landline to cell, then GV. Oodles of cheap AT&T or T-Mobile phones to do this, you use a few minutes / text and then the account closes. Or if you have a cell, just buy a SIM card for the port.

2) Using GV with old landline number, with a cell? Or not? Does OP have a cell already?

No cell store is going to waste their time on #1.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

retire2022
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by retire2022 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm

Op

go to opensignal and see where your coverage is https://www.opensignal.com/

the maps show where the four major network covers, ATT, Verizon, TMobile and Sprint.

I used this app to verify most coverage in rural area where my vacation home is.

Then I switched my cell to Verizon network via Straight Talk via Walmart which is lower than Verizon directly, because my vacation home handles ATT & Verizon.

Straighttalk phone can work on T-Mobile capable network phones.

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home
Last edited by retire2022 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnny
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:31 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by johnny » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:48 pm

+1 for Moto G5 (my daily phone) and Moto X4 (bought one for my son). Good phones at good prices.

For even better deals you can purchase used phones at www.swappa.com

I have purchased a number of used phones at Swappa. They have great quality control over the sellers, check serial numbers against the stolen phone registry, and have good guarantees for buyers should the phone not come as advertised. The typical sellers are either individuals such as software developers who upgrade phones regularly so they always have the latest thing, or dealers who are eliminating extra stock (like new) devices.

Fclevz
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:28 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by Fclevz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm
...Or if you have a cell, just buy a SIM card for the port...
Yes, it sounds like you don’t actually need another phone, but just a second cheap SIM card that you can put in your iPhone for 10 minutes.

jerryk68
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by jerryk68 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:01 am

Like you, I also wanted to keep my home number by porting same to Google voice thru the Obihai 200 that activated Google Voice. The Obihai is an interface between Google Voice and your ported home phone number making your home phone free of monthly service charges. The Obihai plugs into your home router and your home phone lines. Among it's many features Google Voice will answer your home phone and transcribe the message and save it to the Google Voice app on your iphone. My research indicates that you do not contact the carrier in my case it was Verizon when porting your number. The porting instructions are on the Obihai website below. I just borrowed an old Android phone ( must be an android phone as Google Voice is Android) because you only need it for a few days. I used T-Mobile to port my home number to the T-mobile cell phone and then I ported the number from the cell phone to Google Voice. Basically, I needed a dial tone to operate a home fax machine and Obihai 200 provides that service plus my home phone works as usual. Keep in mind if the electric goes out there is no phone service and you have to purchase 911 service if you want it for $15 to $25 a year. I think the 911 service is worth it for peace of mind in case of an emergency. The Obihai 200 is about $50, Google Voice charges $20 to port the number. The sim card for the phone was about $50 (I bought a month worth of service on T-Mobile). Google Voice does not charge for monthly service fee.

https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/
https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5023
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:05 am

A Sim card with a few minutes of service should be $10 or less.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

User avatar
Taz
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Florida

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by Taz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:51 am

I bought a $15 Tracfone branded flip phone when I switched my home number to GV. The home number was on Ooma which made the port difficult. After a couple of weeks the number was ported out of Tracfone to GV. Make sure you have the correct account numbers, billing addresses, & pins/passwords correct.
The destination matters.

pacodelostigres
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:14 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by pacodelostigres » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:01 am

I just ported my Google Voice number to Sprint to get the Kickstart Unlimited plan for $25 / month (~$30 after fees/taxes), and bought a Moto G6 unlocked for $150 to go with it, through Best Buy. It's not T-Mobile, but you won't find a better deal.

It took a couple extra steps to do it this way, but was worth it.

Topic Author
mcgarrett
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by mcgarrett » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm

Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice and experiences. It turns out that my brother has 2 Tracfone phones that he has replaced, and he is sending these to me. I hope I can buy a Tracfone SIM card and put it into one of the phones and "activate" it in my name to get prepaid service for about a month. Then I will try to port my landline to this phone. If that works, my next step will be to then port that landline number over to Google Voice. I don't know if there will be any problem taking his phone and making it mine by changing the SIM, but I am hoping this is something that a Google or YouTube search can walk me through. Most sites described using T-mobile as the intermediate carrier, but I did see Tracfone mentioned somewhere as another option.

McGarrett

Jeff Albertson
Posts: 730
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by Jeff Albertson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Moto G6 is $249 - $150 = $99 with Google Fi activation. https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

cowbman
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by cowbman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:42 pm

Swappa has good rates on used phones in varying conditions. Samsung makes good Android, as is the Pixel if you like stock Android. You can find cheap used iPhones too.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1833
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 am

Wow @DarthEnol, that’s a good price! Tempting!


User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5023
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:29 am

mcgarrett wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm
Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice and experiences. It turns out that my brother has 2 Tracfone phones that he has replaced, and he is sending these to me. I hope I can buy a Tracfone SIM card and put it into one of the phones and "activate" it in my name to get prepaid service for about a month. Then I will try to port my landline to this phone. If that works, my next step will be to then port that landline number over to Google Voice. I don't know if there will be any problem taking his phone and making it mine by changing the SIM, but I am hoping this is something that a Google or YouTube search can walk me through. Most sites described using T-mobile as the intermediate carrier, but I did see Tracfone mentioned somewhere as another option.

McGarrett
Once ported to Google Voice, how do you plan on using that phone number?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

robphoto
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by robphoto » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:30 am

If you're on Ting, they are super helpful, you might ask them if there is a workaround; there might be a way to park the number without actually putting it on a phone with service, and then moving it to Google voice. There are also number parking services which might work as an interim solution.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2141
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:29 am
mcgarrett wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm
Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice and experiences. It turns out that my brother has 2 Tracfone phones that he has replaced, and he is sending these to me. I hope I can buy a Tracfone SIM card and put it into one of the phones and "activate" it in my name to get prepaid service for about a month. Then I will try to port my landline to this phone. If that works, my next step will be to then port that landline number over to Google Voice. I don't know if there will be any problem taking his phone and making it mine by changing the SIM, but I am hoping this is something that a Google or YouTube search can walk me through. Most sites described using T-mobile as the intermediate carrier, but I did see Tracfone mentioned somewhere as another option.

McGarrett
Once ported to Google Voice, how do you plan on using that phone number?
You buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/OBi202-2-Port-Ad ... B007D930YO

Then you have free VOIP phone service for your home! You can use your regular 'landline' phone system.

I just bought another Obi202 and connected it last weekend (we moved and I lost the old box.) System recognized our GV number, it's like we never left!

OP, for your purposes just buy any used GSM phone from ebay. Pay no more than $20 since you won't be using it thereafter. You could even skip the phone, just get the SIM card and someone else activate it if a separate step is even needed. (eg the sales kid at the T-mobile store.) You only need to get the number ported to the new card, nothing more. Then you port it to GV.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5023
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:04 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:01 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:29 am
mcgarrett wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm
Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice and experiences. It turns out that my brother has 2 Tracfone phones that he has replaced, and he is sending these to me. I hope I can buy a Tracfone SIM card and put it into one of the phones and "activate" it in my name to get prepaid service for about a month. Then I will try to port my landline to this phone. If that works, my next step will be to then port that landline number over to Google Voice. I don't know if there will be any problem taking his phone and making it mine by changing the SIM, but I am hoping this is something that a Google or YouTube search can walk me through. Most sites described using T-mobile as the intermediate carrier, but I did see Tracfone mentioned somewhere as another option.

McGarrett
Once ported to Google Voice, how do you plan on using that phone number?
You buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/OBi202-2-Port-Ad ... B007D930YO

Then you have free VOIP phone service for your home! You can use your regular 'landline' phone system.

I just bought another Obi202 and connected it last weekend (we moved and I lost the old box.) System recognized our GV number, it's like we never left!

OP, for your purposes just buy any used GSM phone from ebay. Pay no more than $20 since you won't be using it thereafter. You could even skip the phone, just get the SIM card and someone else activate it if a separate step is even needed. (eg the sales kid at the T-mobile store.) You only need to get the number ported to the new card, nothing more. Then you port it to GV.
I know how to use GV, I've been doing it since 2012. I'm unclear that OP knows how he intends to use it.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

acegolfer
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by acegolfer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:26 am

mcgarrett wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm
Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice and experiences. It turns out that my brother has 2 Tracfone phones that he has replaced, and he is sending these to me. I hope I can buy a Tracfone SIM card and put it into one of the phones and "activate" it in my name to get prepaid service for about a month. Then I will try to port my landline to this phone. If that works, my next step will be to then port that landline number over to Google Voice. I don't know if there will be any problem taking his phone and making it mine by changing the SIM, but I am hoping this is something that a Google or YouTube search can walk me through. Most sites described using T-mobile as the intermediate carrier, but I did see Tracfone mentioned somewhere as another option.

McGarrett
Previous Tracfone user

1. No need to activate Tracfone for 1 month and then port in landline phone number to Tracfone. You can do it in one step.
2. Yes, you can activate a new Tracfone BYOP SIM in your brother's old Tracfone device. Tracfone uses 3 networks (Verizon, ATT, Tmo) and you will need the SIM that your brother's phone uses. Not sure now (I was a Tracfone user), but in the past, the SIM kit came with all 3 cards in the box. I paid $1 for the kit.

If you have more question about Tracfone, visit https://www.howardforums.com/forumdispl ... fone-Net10. This community is the most knowledgeable.

goaties
Posts: 347
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by goaties » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 am

Could our OP skip the whole "port to cellphone" bit and instead port his landline number to a VOIP provider? (I used to use Callcentric, which was no-contract and fairly cheap). I understand that VOIP services have kind of gone the way of the horse-and-buggy (how quickly!), but might just be what he/she needs.

dziuniek
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: Corrupticut

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by dziuniek » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:57 am

vu8 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm
Go on AliExpress, get a global version Xiaomi or Huawei, best money for the spec you can get
I second aliexpress for a lot of things.....

It's soooooo cheap.

I find a lot of amazon items there for a fraction of the price...

acegolfer
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by acegolfer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:59 am

goaties wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:29 am
Could our OP skip the whole "port to cellphone" bit and instead port his landline number to a VOIP provider? (I used to use Callcentric, which was no-contract and fairly cheap). I understand that VOIP services have kind of gone the way of the horse-and-buggy (how quickly!), but might just be what he/she needs.
Not sure whether that works for OP, as ultimately he wants his landline number to become his Google Voice # (see his posts). So he plans to use a cell phone # as intermediary. I'm not sure whether GV will allow port in from a VOIP#?

MisterMister
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by MisterMister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am

Fclevz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm
...Or if you have a cell, just buy a SIM card for the port...
Yes, it sounds like you don’t actually need another phone, but just a second cheap SIM card that you can put in your iPhone for 10 minutes.
Yes, this is an excellent idea. You can buy the TracFone SIM kit for about $1 and do what you need to do. I think you will have to buy a small air time package to port your number.
Last edited by MisterMister on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

MisterMister
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by MisterMister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am

deleted

gogleheads.orb
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by gogleheads.orb » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:21 am

moto x4 @ best buy

MisterMister
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by MisterMister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am

Remember the OP does not actually need a phone, just a way to port a landline to GV.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5023
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am

MisterMister wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am
Remember the OP does not actually need a phone, just a way to port a landline to GV.
That's unclear as OP hasn't said how they plan to use the number on GV. Perhaps they are planning to forward it to their already existing cell phone that has its own number, or use GoogleVoice via a tablet or computer?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

MisterMister
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by MisterMister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am
MisterMister wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am
Remember the OP does not actually need a phone, just a way to port a landline to GV.
That's unclear as OP hasn't said how they plan to use the number on GV. Perhaps they are planning to forward it to their already existing cell phone that has its own number, or use GoogleVoice via a tablet or computer?
He says he may only need the phone temporarily. That coupled with a careful reading of the rest his original post tells me he just wants to get the land line ported.

Although some clarification on your bullet points by the OP would help.

EDIT: I do just what the OP appears to be planning. I forward my GV number to my cell for "dual ring" at home and to my mobile number. Works great. OP says he has an iPhone which appears to be the only actual cell phone he needs. Perhaps he can confirm.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5023
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:41 am

MisterMister wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am
MisterMister wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am
Remember the OP does not actually need a phone, just a way to port a landline to GV.
That's unclear as OP hasn't said how they plan to use the number on GV. Perhaps they are planning to forward it to their already existing cell phone that has its own number, or use GoogleVoice via a tablet or computer?
He says he may only need the phone temporarily. That coupled with a careful reading of the rest his original post tells me he just wants to get the land line ported.

Although some clarification on your bullet points by the OP would help.

EDIT: I do just what the OP appears to be planning. I forward my GV number to my cell for "dual ring" at home and to my mobile number. Works great. OP says he has an iPhone which appears to be the only actual cell phone he needs. Perhaps he can confirm.
You are correct, I missed that subsequent post he made.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

MisterMister
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by MisterMister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:56 am

MisterMister wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am
Fclevz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm
...Or if you have a cell, just buy a SIM card for the port...
Yes, it sounds like you don’t actually need another phone, but just a second cheap SIM card that you can put in your iPhone for 10 minutes.
Yes, this is an excellent idea. You can buy the TracFone SIM kit for about $1 and do what you need to do. I think you will have to buy a small air time package to port your number.
EDIT: TraceFone will require you to maintain active service, else you could lose your phone number. But since you are planning to port it to GV anyway, that should not be an issue.

Teague
Posts: 1652
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by Teague » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:01 am

The very cheapest can be found sitting on the passenger seat of many cars in any busy parking lot. However, acquiring one of those is generally discouraged.

Otherwise, I've had good shopping deals on the Moto G series.
Semper Augustus

acegolfer
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by acegolfer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:02 am

MisterMister wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am
Fclevz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm
...Or if you have a cell, just buy a SIM card for the port...
Yes, it sounds like you don’t actually need another phone, but just a second cheap SIM card that you can put in your iPhone for 10 minutes.
Yes, this is an excellent idea. You can buy the TracFone SIM kit for about $1 and do what you need to do. I think you will have to buy a small air time package to port your number.
OP, if you already have an "unlocked" iPhone, then you don't need another unlocked phone to activate a new service. You can use your existing phone + new SIM. You can swap between 2 SIMs using the same phone.

But if your iPhone is locked, then you will need a phone to activate Tracfone service.
Last edited by acegolfer on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

MisterMister
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by MisterMister » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:06 am

acegolfer wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:02 am
MisterMister wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am
Fclevz wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:43 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:26 pm
...Or if you have a cell, just buy a SIM card for the port...
Yes, it sounds like you don’t actually need another phone, but just a second cheap SIM card that you can put in your iPhone for 10 minutes.
Yes, this is an excellent idea. You can buy the TracFone SIM kit for about $1 and do what you need to do. I think you will have to buy a small air time package to port your number.
But if OP had an unlocked iPhone, why would he start this thread?
Good point. I have no experience with this but apparently It's sometimes possible to get the phone unlocked by your current carrier.

EDIT: All recent iPhones are unlocked. If not, this article could help: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphon ... e-3501427/ This particular article is UK but concepts still may apply. There are ways to determine if you iPhone is locked, which would be a useful first step.

Topic Author
mcgarrett
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 12:42 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by mcgarrett » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am

Thanks everyone for the tips. To summarize, my current iPhone 6S is not unlocked (unfortunately) and I don't think I can simply swap SIM cards temporarily on this work-provided phone, although that would be a very desirable option and I might try to explore this. I will get the phones from my brother, and buy a SIM card to insert into one of the phones and activate it as mine, but I did look at Howardforums for some advice, and my brother might have to delete the phone I would use from his own Tracfone account first before I can activate it as a new owner. My ultimate plan is to port the original home landline number to GV and then have the calls to that number forwarded to my current cell to be answered. I believe that GV might also be able to convert any voicemail messages to text and also send them to my iPhone. I appreciate all of the posters for taking the time to respond and help me with this challenge.

McGarrett

acegolfer
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by acegolfer » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:08 pm

mcgarrett wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am
Thanks everyone for the tips. To summarize, my current iPhone 6S is not unlocked (unfortunately) and I don't think I can simply swap SIM cards temporarily on this work-provided phone, although that would be a very desirable option and I might try to explore this. I will get the phones from my brother, and buy a SIM card to insert into one of the phones and activate it as mine, but I did look at Howardforums for some advice, and my brother might have to delete the phone I would use from his own Tracfone account first before I can activate it as a new owner. My ultimate plan is to port the original home landline number to GV and then have the calls to that number forwarded to my current cell to be answered. I believe that GV might also be able to convert any voicemail messages to text and also send them to my iPhone. I appreciate all of the posters for taking the time to respond and help me with this challenge.

McGarrett
That's the right process.

One tip: get a SIP device so that you can use your existing landline phones (throughout the house) to make/receive Google Voice calls. For incoming calls, it may take more than 25 seconds before you can locate your smartphone, especially if you have a large size house. A popular choice is Obihai devices.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 2141
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Where to find inexpensive unlocked phone

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:19 am

mcgarrett wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am
Thanks everyone for the tips. To summarize, my current iPhone 6S is not unlocked (unfortunately) and I don't think I can simply swap SIM cards temporarily on this work-provided phone, although that would be a very desirable option and I might try to explore this. I will get the phones from my brother, and buy a SIM card to insert into one of the phones and activate it as mine, but I did look at Howardforums for some advice, and my brother might have to delete the phone I would use from his own Tracfone account first before I can activate it as a new owner. My ultimate plan is to port the original home landline number to GV and then have the calls to that number forwarded to my current cell to be answered. I believe that GV might also be able to convert any voicemail messages to text and also send them to my iPhone. I appreciate all of the posters for taking the time to respond and help me with this challenge.

McGarrett
So your goal is to port your existing number to GV and then use it on a Tracphone? Will that even work? IME Tracphones are very locked down and won't allow you to pop in a different SIM. My brother has one and I wouldn't touch a TP with a 10-ft pole.

And since you already own an iPhone 6S, why not unlock it? Just look on ebay, should cost you $2 to get it done. I've done this several times.

Post Reply