Advice on Grand Pianos?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
texasdiver

Re: Advice on Grand Pianos?

Post by texasdiver » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:20 am
Just a quick response to some people above who are “it has to be grand, uprights are no substitute” type of people. It is highly unlikely your children will ever outgrow a good upright piano. In fact there are plenty of concert pianists who could never afford a quality grand piano and learned to play on uprights. The idea that you can’t play the entire repertoire on a quality upright is simply snobbery. I’m not saying a grand piano isn’t great to have, but I just don’t want you to be pushed into a grand because your kids will “suffer”.

I personally have played many “difficult” pieces on an upright including Chopin Etudes and Waltzes and there are hundreds of YouTube videos of people playing the most difficult of difficult of pieces on uprights—including Balakirev’s Islamey and Schumann’s Toccata.
Not actually opposed to an upright piano. I think, however, our space is much more conducive to a grand. We have a large seldom-used formal living room that has windows on one wall and a fireplace on the adjacent wall and the other two sides are open to the dining and entry. So the piano will have to sit in the middle of the room as there is no wall to push it against.

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:44 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:32 pm
A good upright is better than a cheap grand. It will be difficult to impossible to get a good grand or baby grand for under $10k. An under $10k grand could require significant restoration and if you decided to get rid of it would require someone naive to purchase if it hasn’t been restored.

I would consider looking at some of the Yamaha hybrid pianos as you’ll get the baby grand look for a price hopefully you can stomach.
I support the good upright is better than a bad baby grand comment.

The good Chinese brands have come a long way. Friends of mine that know music recently got one after testing quite a few, and many more well established brands.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:05 pm

I suspect that if you can find a baby-grand piano owner who is retiring and downsizing, especially if they are moving far away, you can find a bargain. Perhaps if you contact a few people who have suitable pianos for sale and explain to them your circumstances and that if they can't find a buyer at their listed price to please contact you it may work to get you a fine piano at a price you can afford. People are attached to their pianos and someone downsizing may want the piano to go to a good new home where it will be used and loved.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:24 am

dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:01 pm
snackdog wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pm

Those are the worst! Depreciation is catastrophic the first several years (e.g. 50% or so).
Certainly not Steinways. They generally increase in value with inflation while losing a little over time due to wear and tear if not restored. My father purchased my Steinway B in 1995 for 45 K, it's now worth approximately 60-65 K. Not that I care really, as it will never be sold.
Steinways included and in particular. You can buy a five year old Steinway for at least half off retail. If someone has offered your father anything over $50K he should take the money and run!

Topic Author
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:10 pm

snackdog wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:24 am
dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:01 pm
snackdog wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:13 pm

Those are the worst! Depreciation is catastrophic the first several years (e.g. 50% or so).
Certainly not Steinways. They generally increase in value with inflation while losing a little over time due to wear and tear if not restored. My father purchased my Steinway B in 1995 for 45 K, it's now worth approximately 60-65 K. Not that I care really, as it will never be sold.
Steinways included and in particular. You can buy a five year old Steinway for at least half off retail. If someone has offered your father anything over $50K he should take the money and run!
It seems like what also happened from the 80s to the 2000s is that new prices on pianos about doubled. So a piano that might have cost $15,000 in 1980 was up to about $30,000 by 2000 or 2010. Same basic model with minimal changes as pianos don't change that much from year to year or even decade to decade. So there are buyers who may have bought new pianos in the 80s who may not have lost much money on their pianos simply due to the price appreciation and replacement cost of new pianos going up so much. Whether those price trends continue into the future I have my doubts. Chinese manufacturers are getting better and better and are massively scaling up for the growing Chinese middle class market. So what happens from today into the future may not resemble the past few decades.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm

snackdog wrote:

Steinways included and in particular. You can buy a five year old Steinway for at least half off retail.
Where do you find such a deal? From the Steinway market I see, such a deal cannot be had for a Steinway grand.

Here is a 2010 of the model I inherited (will never sell, its a family heirloom):

https://steinwaygrand.com/products/2010 ... 5808418934

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:19 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm
snackdog wrote:

Steinways included and in particular. You can buy a five year old Steinway for at least half off retail.
Where do you find such a deal? From the Steinway market I see, such a deal cannot be had for a Steinway grand.

Here is a 2010 of the model I inherited (will never sell, its a family heirloom):

https://steinwaygrand.com/products/2010 ... 5808418934
Shops around the interweb are selling 6'11" model Bs of various vintages (all fully refurbished) for ~$33-40K. That's a far cry from a Park Avenue NYC shop price that includes free national shipping as well.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:25 pm

mrc wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Shops around the interweb are selling 6'11" model Bs of various vintages (all fully refurbished) for ~$33-40K. That's a far cry from a Park Avenue NYC shop price that includes free national shipping as well.

Oh yes, I'm aware -- but certainly not recent years as mentioned in the previous post. I think it would be very difficult to find a Steinway B recent model example for that much of a discount. Normally at those lower price points you're looking at something 25+ yrs old at least, sometimes 60 yrs. Still, 33-40 K for a piano that cost approx that same amount new and is a few decades old is not all that bad for a depreciating instrument.