Men & Women: What do you pack for travel inside 1 carry-on luggage only??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Men & Women: What do you pack for travel inside 1 carry-on luggage only??

Post by Sandtrap »

Newbie Global Traveler needs advice and suggestions and your examples.
DW and I. so. . male and female.

Various International Travel Vacations (europe, asia, etc)
International flights, 3-5 star hotels.

2 - 3 week trips.

"One" Carry on max 25 pounds plus 20L small backpack. (no check in)

1. How many tops, bottoms, pants, slacks, shirts, etc ???
2. What type?
3. Shoes, sneakers, slippers, etc??
4. Electronics?
5. Suggestions??

Thanks for your help. :D
Super Newbie Global Traveler.

PS: huge thanks for the slacks and gear suggestions from a previous post: Prana, Zion, PacSafe (great stuff!!)

UPDATE: (recent experiment)

Recently returned from a 2+ week trip back to Hawaii to visit with family. Also Hilton Resort on the Big Island (awesome!!!) :D .
The "test drive" with the above setup yielded these results:
1. 20" carry on was marginally 25 pounds. with 3 pairs of pants and shirts (lightweight), meds, etc. Will look into lighter brand carry on.
2. Needed to put my MacBook Air and Camera in my backpack to keep the carry on weight legal. Made the backpack a bit heavy.
3. Found that 3 pairs of underwear and socks were not enough of the times laundry was not available. Though "no cotton" material helps.
4. Hawaiian Rubber Slippers and thicker cotton pajamas were comfy but added bulk and weight. Need to substitute these??
5. Wish I could carry a compact heating pad for my spine at night but I think it would show up in airport security scanners as something threatening. (coiled wires and so forth).
6. My vitamins and meds containers are too bulky. Need to find a way to reduce bulk and weight. Maybe tiny ziplock bags. Dunno??
7. Substituted a foam neck travel pillow for my previous bean bag one and it is lighter but not as comfy and cozy. :(
8. Having 1 pair of secure pants and 2 pairs of non secure pants seems silly. Need to find options for this.??
9. The new MacBook Air is low on "Air" and high on weight compared to my other MacBook Pro.
10. Substituted an Olympus OMD3-MKII and 1 Pro Zoom for my normal full frame camera gear. It was way more compact but still pretty heavy considering it's M4/3. Will think about using my Sony A6500 (APSC) with a single Zeiss zoom instead. Tests in progress.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:56 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
barnaclebob

Re: What do you pack for international vacation travel??

Post by barnaclebob »

Doesn't really matter as long as it fits in a carry on bag.
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Here's one guy's opinion - https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light
If you are moving around much, then do yourself a favor & pack light.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Look on YouTube. There are many videos on this very subject.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

For one week tropical vacation:
Male (me):
1. How many tops, bottoms, pants, slacks, shirts, etc.
- 2 pairs of shorts
- 2 swim suits
- 1 pair of casual slacks (Dockers)
- about 5 t-shirts of various colors
- 2 polo shirts
- 2 button down short sleeve shirts with (bright Hawaiian style designs)
- sleeping shirt
- underwear, handkerchiefs
- belt
- sneaker socks (2 pair - probably won't wear them there...maybe 1 pair for the trip home)
- 1 ball hat
- wearing blue jeans down and back
2. What type?
- 1 flip flops (for beach use)
- 1 leather sandals (a little dressier than the flip flops)
- 1 sneakers (wearing these down, probably not after that unless there is a place for long walks on paved surface)
4. What else?
- sunglasses
- reading glasses
- a book
- suntan lotion, aloe
- toiletries
5. Electronics?
- Google Fi cell phone
- Kindle reader
- earbuds
- chargers
6. Etc???
7. Suggestions??

Female (DW):
Don't know the details, but A LOT MORE than me
Last edited by munemaker on Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Depending on the weather of the location traveling to, as little as possible. You don't need half of what you think. I'm down to just carry on luggage, DW is almost there!

Washers/dryers (hang dry in many locales) are usually available reducing amount of clothes needed.

One pair of comfortable walking shoes and nicer pair if going to a better restaurant. Slippers, no, if some hospital socks with the grippies are available, use them. They work great on the plane too.

Electronics, camera, cell phone and/or tablet. Just be sure to have the proper electrical adapters for chargers.

A over the shoulder, soft, carry bag to use when out exploring comes in handy. On the plane it's a personal item storing the camera, tablet, extra clothes, etc ..that I stash under the seat.

Unless in the jungle, bush, third world country or isolated island just about anything you may need can be obtained at the intended destination.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Rick Steves list is a good start, although he carries more stuff than I generally would, and it's locked into about 1995. Things like guidebooks and travel alarms can be replaced by phones and kindles. For a trip to civilized places, when in doubt, leave it out. You can buy stuff along the way if you're wrong, and buying weird stuff in foreign locations is part of the adventure. Remember that anything you take, you're going to be carrying.

I do bring a pair of flip flops and 2 swimsuits, though, no matter where I'm going. They're light and easy to pack, and come in handy in a lot of places you'd never expect.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I second those who suggest packing light. If you're going to be moving around much, take a carry on bag for your clothes, and a back pack for electronics, books, valuables, papers, etc. Knowing ahead of time if your apartment or hotel will have laundry facilities is good to know. A smaller bag is very helpful especially with Europe travel if you're planning several locations and have train travel mixed in.

I wear my heavier shoes on the flight. If I'm going to a warmer climate, I often wear pants that have zippered legs, so i can convert to shorts. Will sometimes pack my flipflops in my packpack.

Bring paperbacks I'll leave at the destination, and download books to my Ipad Kindle app. I never bring a full size laptiop, just an Ipad.

If we're on a cruise, we'll pack a little heavier, check a bag or two. I think if we were going on an extended trip, and staying a week plus in some locations, then it can make more sense to take larger bags.

But, in general, lighter is better. I always find I have more clothes I brought than I need.

I like Prana pants as well. :D
sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 »

Try to blend with the locals. Black tennis shoes; older is good. Minimal jewelry. Spare pair of reading or Rx glasses; zenni is a good value.

Cheap unlocked cell phone, with GPS which provides maps without a data connection -- install maps.me and download maps using WiFi before leaving home. Also mp3 library on microSD in the phone.

Audio books downloaded from public library to Kindle Fire. Books downloaded on Paperwhite - some from library; turn off WiFi to avoid automatic return before you finish.

Cheap laptop. Portable drive with videos. Extension cord. Adapters for power plug. HDMI cable. Lightweight ear buds. Noise cancelling headphones. Batteries. Camera, SD adapter, memory stick.

I have tried to install the United Airlines app, but have only been able to use it once; it no longer works on my phone or Kindle fire. Very strange that an app should even be needed to watch a video on WiFi.

Don't forget your meds.
Doctor provides Rx just in case of infection. Ginger root for motion sicknesses. Aleve is Rx in many countries. Mucinex, Actifed, etc. are easier to find. Pesto bismol tablets. Imodium.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

I have a checklist that I maintain so I don't forget stuff (what to pack and other prep).

I like to have my passport on my person in a zipper pocket when I am traveling by air. Not sure what to do if I lose that. Good to also have a copy of it from a scanner or copy machine.

I also think it's good to take some clothes that allow you to blend in, particularly if you are not going to be in a place where they will stare at a tourist because they don't see many. Avoiding tennis shoes and shirts with English writing on them seems to do the trick, at least when we were in a small non-tourist town in Sicily.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jeff Albertson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:29 pm Here's one guy's opinion - https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light
If you are moving around much, then do yourself a favor & pack light.
+1

If you are going to some place in the developed world if need something that you did not pack you can just buy it there unless it is something real unusual. Once in awhile I will run short of something like socks or underwear so I will just buy some if I need them.

I only rarely will wash stuff in my hotel room. I have never had any problem with finding places to get my laundry done about every 5 to 7 days. In many countries most people will not have a washing machine and dryer in their home or apartment so laundry services may be a lot more common and reasonably priced than in the US.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I find that most foreign hotels have a laundry service so I usually pack everything I think I need and then pare that down in half. I then wear some of my outer clothes more than one day, utilize laundry services and don't pack for extremes. If where I'm going gets unseasonable, I just buy whatever I need there.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

This is what I carry. It fits in a carry-on sized travel bag, although I check it along with my wife's larger wheeled bag (hence "pocket knife" contents). Even though we check the bags, using a backpack style carry-on lets me carry my bag on my back and pick up hers if we're going up and down a lot of steps.

I keep a foldable backpack in the bigger bag that I take out for plane or train travel, and for walking around at destination.

Carry:
- IPad
- Kindle
- Battery/Charger
- Passport
- Int’l D/L
- Reading glasses
- Camera
- Wired ear buds
- Spare clothes for a night

Wear:
- pants
- button shirt
- underwear
- undershirt
- Socks
- Shoes

Pack:
- Hat
- Jacket
- Sweater (if cold)
- 1 pair pants
- 2 button shirts
- 3 underwear
- 3 undershirts
- 3 socks
- Tevas
- 1 T-shirt
- 1 Sweat pants (if cold)
- 1 Cotton Shorts (if warm)
- 1 Hiking Shorts
- Toothbrush
- Toothpaste
- Shaving cream
- Razor
- Clothesline
- First aid kit
- Pocket knife
- Hearing aid batteries
- Hearing aid cleaning kit
- Tide packets
- Chargers/adapters
- Sun Glasses
- Book/map
- Car charger
- Packable duffel
- Shoe cleaning stuff
- If Kayaking or Hiking
- Extra Water Shorts
- Drybag
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

As little as possible. Take a look at https://www.onebag.com/ for suggestions -- although I wouldn't take that much.

Keep in mind that both volume and weight matter -- use those to help choose alternatives. A single multi-use item may or may not be better than multiple single use items -- but it's easier to deal with the single item.

Do not try to pack for all possible conditions -- you want to thrive during expected conditions, and survive (get to the stores) for the extremes.

Another note: My wife and I have very different feelings about how much clothing is "necessary" and how often we're willinlg to do laundry -- don't assume your spouse agrees with you...
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm Newbie Global Traveler needs advice and suggestions and your examples.

Cruise ship, land, train, International flights, 3-5 star hotels, custom road tours.
It depends on where you are going and what you'll be doing. To some degree also how long (because DW will get tired of the same outfits).
Dragging large/multiple bags around gets old quickly (porterage is pretty rare these days outside of hotels). In general, less is more, but there are limits that may fit your personal style. Prescription or custom-fit items are really the only necessities.

We've been doing trips that are about five weeks to europe lately, and I pack about 8 days worth of clothes and plan to do laundry each week (we don't generally wash things out in a hotel sink, we either have a washer in the apartment or find a laundromat). My wife tries to pack tops and bottoms which can be paired in various ways to create more variety.

These days nice casual clothes are adequate for almost anywhere, even the opera. A possible exception would be formal night on a few of the cruise lines, where you might choose to be dressed up.

I prefer the two-wheel bags with larger wheels over the "spinner" bags. The spinners are great in airports with perfectly smooth floors, but will drive you nuts on cobblestone streets in Europe (and are also more prone to break). I aim for a 22" bag size (which may or may not meet "carry-on" size depending on the airline), though I normally check it for flights. On most trains, you'll be pulling that bag up the steps and stowing it in the rack yourself. My wife usually has a slightly larger bag, but not by much. It was a little tricky a year ago when we had a combination of midwinter Germany, southern Spain, and a cruise to Canary Islands and Morocco all on the same trip, but we managed (layers were the key). If the whole trip will be with a rental car, I might loosen up a bit on bag size, but we are usually spending some time in cities where a car is a nuisance and so we stick to packing lighter. Even with a car, though, we might end up in a B&B with a flight or two of steps to our room where a heavy bag is a pain.

We have some relatives who do long (multi-month) cruises, and they will generally have a couple of big bags sent by a luggage service to/from the ship, but that's a special situation.

----
edited to add: Oh, and active noise-cancelling headphones are really helpful to reduce fatigue on long flights!
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

I wear the following to the airport: Lightweight jeans, t-shirt, underwear, socks, running shoes, watch.

I pack:
Two pairs of shorts
One pair of underwear
Two pairs of socks
Five t-shirts
A windbreaker
A light fleece or down sweater (if I'm going somewhere cold)
Passport, phone, camera, pen, paper, meds, toothbrush, sunglasses, wallet
Laptop (If I have to work)
Whatever chargers I need

Stuff it all in a 30-liter daypack and go.

Have fun!
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

Some more thoughts:

If you're expecting to buy much over there (gifts, souvenirs, etc.) pack (or buy onsite) a duffle bag to check on the way back. We bought cheap luggage from a street seller in London -- worked fine for shipping back some extra clothes.

Mix-and-match is a popular concept with most travel clothing suppliers -- more variety out of fewer items.

Your choices may also be affected by whether you plan to check luggage (the list with pocket knife comes to mind).

If you don't take liquids, they can't spill, and security checks are faster/easier. I've done this for years, never checking luggage -- there are a lot of solid alternatives (solid shampoo and hand cream, shaving soap instead of cream, etc.)
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee
kramer

Post by kramer »

On some trips how much you bring really matters (moving around a lot, using buses, etc), on others it is not so important (cruise, single destination city), so determine that first. I also carefully evaluate the climates to which I will be traveling.

One thing I do before the trip is figure out what the laundry situation will be. I only ever do my own laundry out of desperation. I always bring plenty of underwear (they don't take much space) so as to avoid having to launder too often and have a couple fast dry underwear in case I had to wash a couple of them in the sink in a pinch along with a generic sink drain. Fortunately, I have not had to resort to self-laundering in years. If you are in a bunch of places for just two nights, for instance, that can make laundering difficult. Almost all developing countries have inexpensive laundry services everywhere, something I didn't know before traveling around the world. It's one of the first questions I ask in any hotel.

For pants, I only bring "travel pants" on trips, never jeans, unless wearing jeans is almost part of the culture (which it is in a place like Colombia). These sorts of pants are much lighter than jeans, dry much faster, don't wrinkle, and are more comfortable. It's not normal to wear shorts outside of the house or the running park in some cultures, so do your research.

Normally, I wear neutral colored tennis shoes that match anything (I have light Gray and dark Gray, never white, never funky multi-colored tennies) and a pair of nice flip flops. Extra shoes take up a LOT of space and that's why I stopped bringing sandals. I bring mostly no-show socks unless it's a cold place.

In colder places, I dress in layers. And I try to make sure each layer is useful on it's own for maximum utility. I can remember on a trip to the Middle East, I was only going to encounter quite cold temperatures once (an air balloon ride at just a few degrees above freezing). I actually wore 6 layers that morning but all those layers were separately useful throughout the trip.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Here's my pack list. Everything fits into a small backpack which is usually filled to about half to 1/3 capacity. The length of the trip is irrelevant. I don't buy souvenirs anymore, so no extra empty bags needed either.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

I would also +1 to the recommendations to travel light. Most of my multi-week international vacations have involved moving "home base" across multiple cities for multiple days at a time. In other words, you're not usually just flying to London/Paris/Rome/etc and staying in the same hotel room for all 13 nights. More commonly, you're moving locations every few days... and lugging a huge 50 lb suitcase from buses, to taxis, to trains, to subway, etc... just not worth it. IMO, you should aim to bring one carry on suitcase + a backpack, maximum. Especially in Europe, keep in mind that you're likely be walking with the luggage more than you would when in the USA (more trains and subway use). And unless you're truly going on an African Safari or something wild, you can buy what you need in country... and can do laundry too.

For clothes, please try to emulate the local dress as much as reasonably possible. Jeans work everywhere. Avoid wearing white tennis shoes in Europe as it screams "I'm an American!!!". Shorts (nice ones) are usually fine in warm weather months, but make sure you google the country... there may be culture / religious implications in some places. Ditto for women's shirts as showing shoulders and arms can sometimes be offensive, such as when visiting a religious site. If you're on the beach, no worries usually.

Electronics - I'd suggest bringing an unlocked cell phone with you and then buying a local SIM card for service once there. Much cheaper than activating global coverage on ATT/VZW, and that's assuming that ATT/VZW even have partner coverage where you're going. Europe would be no problem, but elsewhere may be. I'd also take an iPad vs. a laptop due to weight. Bonus points for setting up a VPN on your cell and tablet prior to leaving.

Drugs - If you're planning to visit any higher risk areas, make sure you get immunized for the local concerns before leaving, and if visiting Asia, Africa or the ME, I'd even consider bringing some antibiotics with you (e.g. Cipro) JIC -- most travel medicine clinics that do immunizations can also write you a small script for the antibiotics. Glad I did that when visiting Egypt.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

There are some areas I've visited where I take antibiotics. My colleague lost 25 lbs on a trip to India. You can theoretically go to the hospital in a developing country, but you first. I also take malaria medication for a long stay but it is very rare to contract it and the incubation period is long, so you can also just treat it after you return if the medication bothers you. Malaria is very treatable if you have money. Hepatitis vaccines are also a good idea. I've never gotten sick in a developing country. I get sick in rich countries, LOL.
Bogle7

pack for international vacation travel = as little as possible

Post by Bogle7 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm 1. How many tops, bottoms, pants, slacks, shirts, etc.
2. What type?
4. What else?
5. Electronics?
6. Etc???
1. 7 golf shirts (5 will be left behind), 1 cargo shorts, 1 convertible short/long pants, 8 undies (6 left), 2 pairs of socks, 1 light fleece, 1 hat, 1 ditty bag
2. 1 pair Mephisto walking shoes
3. 2 50 ml bottles of hot sauce, 2 cotton cloth napkins, champagne stopper
4. 1 journal, Scotch tape for journal
5. 1 MacBook Pro, 1 iPad, 1 iPhone, 2 chargers/adapters
6. Extra pair of glasses, 5 credit cards
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I spent several weeks in Egypt solo and I took in my bag:

5 T-shirts
1 jeans
2 shorts
6 underwear
A couple pairs of socks

I didn't have to pack the running shoes that I was wearing.

You can buy extra t-shirts or shorts if you run out or damage them on the trip, so pack less rather than more.

I hate carrying big backpacks, so I limit myself to anything that would fit in a small bag.
flyingaway

Re: pack for international vacation travel = as little as possible

Post by flyingaway »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:55 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm 1. How many tops, bottoms, pants, slacks, shirts, etc.
2. What type?
4. What else?
5. Electronics?
6. Etc???
1. 7 golf shirts (5 will be left behind), 1 cargo shorts, 1 convertible short/long pants, 8 undies (6 left), 2 pairs of socks, 1 light fleece, 1 hat, 1 ditty bag
2. 1 pair Mephisto walking shoes
3. 2 50 ml bottles of hot sauce, 2 cotton cloth napkins, champagne stopper
4. 1 journal, Scotch tape for journal
5. 1 MacBook Pro, 1 iPad, 1 iPhone, 2 chargers/adapters
6. Extra pair of glasses, 5 credit cards
Do you really need to carry 5 credit cards?
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

climber2020 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:05 pm Here's my pack list. Everything fits into a small backpack which is usually filled to about half to 1/3 capacity. The length of the trip is irrelevant. I don't buy souvenirs anymore, so no extra empty bags needed either.
Thanks for the link.
Good stuff!!!!
j :D
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

GAAP wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:46 pm As little as possible. Take a look at https://www.onebag.com/ for suggestions -- although I wouldn't take that much.

Keep in mind that both volume and weight matter -- use those to help choose alternatives. A single multi-use item may or may not be better than multiple single use items -- but it's easier to deal with the single item.

Do not try to pack for all possible conditions -- you want to thrive during expected conditions, and survive (get to the stores) for the extremes.

Another note: My wife and I have very different feelings about how much clothing is "necessary" and how often we're willinlg to do laundry -- don't assume your spouse agrees with you...
Very Interesting Site.
Thanks for the link.
Great info there.
j
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Our carry ons usually have 10lbs of pharmaceuticals, and 10 lbs of cameras.
The other 40lbs with clothes and toiletry are checked in. We usually come back with 80lbs+ so we have started packing empty suitcases into the larger ones as well.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Question for those who have responded so far: if you're not traveling for business, what is the purpose of carrying around a laptop? It's big, heavy (even the lightest laptop weighs about a pound and a half not including the charger), a target for thieves, and it's another electronic gadget that requires frequent charging. Nearly everyone who travels has a smartphone, which is pretty much a miniaturized computer that fits into a pocket, so why bother packing a computer?
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

munemaker wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:57 pm Female (DW):
Don't know the details, but A LOT MORE than me
Lol! I am a female who goes carry-on only almost everytime heading out and most of the time coming home. (I have been known to check my carry-on-size bag on the way home since I don't care if my dirty laundry is delayed a few days. :wink:) The largest bag I have used in the last 10 years is a 22" carry-on. My current favorite is this one by Eagle Creek. Since my suitcase is a back pack, I carry a lightweight fold-up tote-bag as my personal item. I also have a lightweight fold-up day pack that I use at my destination for sightseeing.

I normally pack black pants and light-weight denim jeans (and/or capris) and then make sure all my tops coordinate with both. I wear black walking shoes on the plane and pack a pair of ballet flats (which double as dress up shoes and slippers). For summer trips, I also pack walking sandals. I always pack something for warmer or cooler weather than I am expecting. For example, a sweatshirt for a summer trip or a few short sleeved tops when I am expecting cooler weather. Sometimes they are not needed, but when the weather changes, you you don't want to be miserable. Be prepared to layer! I try and pack tops that are light weight and dry quickly so that they (along with underwear and socks) can be washed out in the sink. I travel with a couple of collapsible hangers for shirts and clothes pin clips for socks and underwear and use travel-sized packs of Woolite.

I always pack a light-weight wind and rain resistant jacket and a compact umbrella for international travel. I did a tour of Italy with a friend and was amazed by the number of people who didn't pack a rain jacket or umbrella. I suspect those who are telling you to "buy it there" have never actually needed to do so! Or they weren't traveling internationally.

Also keep in mind that unless you are in a major metropolis, there may be only 1 24-hr pharmacy in the entire city. The rest are open 8 am - 5 pm weekdays usually and some still observe early closing on Wednesdays. Weekend hours will vary. And unlike in the States, many grocery stores don't sell OTC drugs (like pain relievers, allergy pills, or remedies for indigestion) or even bandaids, suntan lotion, personal hygiene products, etc. They may only be available from the pharmacy. I always carry a personalized first aid kit to mimic what I keep at home just in smaller quantities -either individual blister packs or loose pills in a small ziplock pill bag. All my toiletries are in travel sized containers to meet the TSA requirements and I travel with a minimum of makeup.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 am Question for those who have responded so far: if you're not traveling for business, what is the purpose of carrying around a laptop? It's big, heavy (even the lightest laptop weighs about a pound and a half not including the charger), a target for thieves, and it's another electronic gadget that requires frequent charging. Nearly everyone who travels has a smartphone, which is pretty much a miniaturized computer that fits into a pocket, so why bother packing a computer?
I grant you that a laptop might get stolen, and adds bulk (though something like a macbook air packs pretty light).

I usually have a camera on trips, and I like to copy the pictures to the laptop (as a backup) and also do a quick look at the photos. This is obviously optional. But if photography is partly your thing, it makes sense.

Also, yes I have a smartphone, but I still hate doing many things on it, versus having a bigger computer. Like researching stuff during the trip -- yeah, you can do it on a phone. I'd rather have a keyboard and a bigger display.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:13 pm Newbie Global Traveler needs advice and suggestions and your examples.

Cruise ship, land, train, International flights, 3-5 star hotels, custom road tours.

2 - 3 week trip.

1. How many tops, bottoms, pants, slacks, shirts, etc.
2. What type?
4. What else?
5. Electronics?
6. Etc???
7. Suggestions??

Thanks for your help. :D
Super Newbie Global Traveler.

PS: huge thanks for the slacks and gear suggestions from a previous post: Prana, Zion, PacSafe (great stuff!!)
For quantity of clothing, I'd figure out what access and type of laundry facilities I'll have access to, and work backward from there. I always overpack on the underwear, myself, in case I didn't get to the laundry when expected and had to wear clothing longer than expected. But we usually pack about a week or so of clothes, where some of that can be worn more than once before laundering.

Obviously, layers, I prefer lightweight nylon clothing, etc. [Edited to add]. And I'll always have a rain jacket shell and a warm (fleece or puffy) jacket to wear under that if I might encounter wet or cold weather. The down puffy jackets are great for lightweight warmth. For shoes I'll have running/walking sneakers that are usually white or grey :happy. And often something suitable for hiking in wet weather (i.e. waterproof hiking boots, but that obviously depends on what I expect to do .... for beach trips instead of the hikers I'll probably have sandals or mesh sneakers that can get wet).

Be sure you have the right charging adapters for the electronics -- you might need more than one type for a multi-country euro tour.

I expressed my opinion on the likelihood of successfully dressing like "the locals" in your other thread :-).
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

TN_Boy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 am
climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 am Question for those who have responded so far: if you're not traveling for business, what is the purpose of carrying around a laptop? It's big, heavy (even the lightest laptop weighs about a pound and a half not including the charger), a target for thieves, and it's another electronic gadget that requires frequent charging. Nearly everyone who travels has a smartphone, which is pretty much a miniaturized computer that fits into a pocket, so why bother packing a computer?
I grant you that a laptop might get stolen, and adds bulk (though something like a macbook air packs pretty light).

I usually have a camera on trips, and I like to copy the pictures to the laptop (as a backup) and also do a quick look at the photos. This is obviously optional. But if photography is partly your thing, it makes sense.

Also, yes I have a smartphone, but I still hate doing many things on it, versus having a bigger computer. Like researching stuff during the trip -- yeah, you can do it on a phone. I'd rather have a keyboard and a bigger display.
+1
Good points as always.
I am a photographer and use a laptop often so not sure if those are reducible items.

The new MacBook Air is only marginally lighter and smaller than the non-Air.
I'm on a "trial run" 3 week trip to Hawaii with a new "world traveler setup" that includes: (counting what I have on)
3 pants : zion, prana, clothing arts.
3 long sleeve shirts: Columbia
laptop: MacBook Air
Camera: Olympus OMD1Mkii w pro zoom.
1 pair sneakers, 1 pair Hawaii slippers

The MacBook Air and camera together really add to the weight of everything. But, as a photographer, I don't know what the alternative would be without sacrificing image quality (already a move down from "full frame" that may compromise my portfolio submissions).
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am
TN_Boy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:21 am

+1
Good points as always.
I am a photographer and use a laptop often so not sure if those are reducible items.

The new MacBook Air is only marginally lighter and smaller than the non-Air.
I'm on a "trial run" 3 week trip to Hawaii with a new "world traveler setup" that includes: (counting what I have on)
3 pants : zion, prana, clothing arts.
3 long sleeve shirts: Columbia
laptop: MacBook Air
Camera: Olympus OMD1Mkii w pro zoom.
1 pair sneakers, 1 pair Hawaii slippers

The MacBook Air and camera together really add to the weight of everything. But, as a photographer, I don't know what the alternative would be without sacrificing image quality (already a move down from "full frame" that may compromise my portfolio submissions).
Yeah, photography gear can be bulky. I don't have to submit anything, so I still tend to take my FZ1000 as a travel camera; give me okay or better light and it takes quality pictures. But I sometimes take a lightweight tripod and that adds to the problem :-)

Some islands in Hawaii require cool weather gear if you hike around the volcano craters (Maui, Big Island, you may be at higher elevation). Which means jackets you didn't take, plus hiking boots.

And if we are on a snorkeling trip, we take our masks, snorkels, and fins (just about forcing us to check a bag). We could probably rent fins (albeit with a bit more hassle) but we like taking our own masks (proper fit and mine have corrected lenses) and good snorkels.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I just ordered some power adapters for an upcoming trip I have.

One thing to be clear on is a power adapter only allows you to connect a US plug into a local socket. It does not actually change the current.

For any electronics you need to look at it closely to make sure that it says something like 110-240v which means that it can run on voltages within that range. Most electronics will but you should double check. Things like curling irons and hair dryers may not so check things like that carefully.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

Agree with a lot of the above. Wanted to emphasize: use a large backpack so you can move easier, especially because it sounds like you’re moving every few days.

I use a 45L bag like

https://www.rei.com/product/112654/ospr ... ravel-pack

And a 65L

https://www.rei.com/product/134628/ospr ... -pack-mens

I also have a daypack that I bring so I can have some thing with me during the day.

Have fun!

Blue man
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am The MacBook Air and camera together really add to the weight of everything. But, as a photographer, I don't know what the alternative would be without sacrificing image quality (already a move down from "full frame" that may compromise my portfolio submissions).
I understand the camera, but what does a laptop have to do with photography? I usually travel with a full frame Sony RX1 and have never felt the need for a computer. I shoot RAW, take plenty of high quality SD cards so there's zero risk of running out of storage, and transfer everything to my computer when I get home.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

There are a lot of hotel websites that don't work well on smartphones. If your itinerary is not fixed in advance, you will be dealing with them -- if only to figure out what's available, where it is, how much it costs, and especially how to contact it. Many other websites for museums and attractions (Eiffel Tower, for example) work far better on a laptop/tablet.

If you're a photographer, a laptop or tablet provides an easy way to backup your photos. Connect it to cloud backup, and you have the basic 3-2-1 backup strategy in-place.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am I understand the camera, but what does a laptop have to do with photography? I usually travel with a full frame Sony RX1 and have never felt the need for a computer. I shoot RAW, take plenty of high quality SD cards so there's zero risk of running out of storage, and transfer everything to my computer when I get home.
You have part, but not all of a good backup strategy in place. With this example, all of your photos are subject to loss at the same time since they are all physically in the same location until you load them on the computer.

Take it from someone who knows. I lost 25 years of photographs in one day to thieves before I implemented a 3-2-1 strategy. Take a look at https://www.slrlounge.com/data-backup-3 ... ement-now/ for one photographer's explanation of the strategy.
student

Post by student »

I do not do anything special when compare to domestic travel except I bring 1) travel adapter for plugs and 2) no fee ATM cards.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

As little as possible. Whether it is a week-long international business trip or a 10+ day family vacation; it fits in one carry-on-sized bag. Period.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:07 am The MacBook Air and camera together really add to the weight of everything. But, as a photographer, I don't know what the alternative would be without sacrificing image quality (already a move down from "full frame" that may compromise my portfolio submissions).
I understand the camera, but what does a laptop have to do with photography? I usually travel with a full frame Sony RX1 and have never felt the need for a computer. I shoot RAW, take plenty of high quality SD cards so there's zero risk of running out of storage, and transfer everything to my computer when I get home.
As noted by GAAP, you'd lose all your photos if your camera gear was lost or stolen (or an SD card became corrupted later, you'd lose some photos), so copying the pictures to a laptop is a backup strategy (there are others, but a lightweight laptop works well). I generally don't back up the photos to the cloud during the trip, because I have too many photos that are too large -- unless I had a marvelous hotel wireless which I generally do not. Either way, I have two copies of the pictures.

In slightly more detail, I import the RAW images into lightroom. I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend a lot of time on the photos during the trip, but I enjoy tinkering with them a bit in the evening -- there are usually a few I'm really curious about (looking at the photos on the camera back won't cut it). Back home, I copy the pictures with lightroom catalog to a thumb drive, and then import and copy the pictures from the thumb drive onto the computer and lightroom at home -- thus preserving edits made on the laptop. At home, I have both cloud and external drive backups. I like this workflow, and don't find carrying the macbook air that painful, and as noted, the laptop is useful for other things.
praxis

Post by praxis »

student wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 am I do not do anything special when compare to domestic travel except I bring 1) travel adapter for plugs and 2) no fee ATM cards.
+1

The advice that counsels against looking "too American", and saying to avoid jeans or running shoes or caps is pretty outdated. I've traveled internationally for business and leisure for over 30 years and the world has gone casual. If you are comfortable in your everyday clothes, wear them overseas. There will always be people who like to dress up, just like at home, but there's no code you have to follow.
I wear slacks on business, pretty much jeans and shorts otherwise. For vacation travel I wear a pair of dark denims on the plane and dress up with collared shirts and down with T's and polo shirts. I bring 1 synthetic V-neck sweater and a light zippered wind/rain shell jacket. My socks and u-wear are synthetic so they dry overnight after a rinse in the shower at night. Put enough thought into your shoes that you can bring just one pair. If you're headed to the beach, consider comfortable rubber shower thongs in a dark color. Maybe a couple of those shirts could be quick dry polyester like Under Armour so you can rinse those out and dry them overnight too.

Of course, check the weather and pack accordingly. If you head to the tropics, nylon shorts double as swimsuits. I don't wear hats, but I do when I'm in the tropics. Read recent reviews and suggestions of best things to do in Trip Advisor. It's a great resource for familiarizing yourself for a first time visit.

I like to feel at home in my room when traveling. That means bringing some coffee and a way to prepare it. Lightest is an immersion heater and instant. I load songs on my phone and play it in a bowl or water glass in the room. Plenty of sound for me. I bring an alarm with lighted screen and a kindle with a variety of titles from my library. I bring 1 quart ziplocks and fill them with my liquids for TSA of course, but others for snacks, medicines, a nice bar soap if I'm spending a week in one bathroom, packing damp clothes etc. You can buy whatever you need pretty much anywhere.

I always wear earplugs on planes and if it's a long flight, I add an eye mask, take an Ambien, and arrive rested.

Best advice: pack light. Start a week before and re do it several times. Consider going with just carry-on luggage. You'll be first in line going through customs.

Just an idea. When we vacation in a 3rd world country and are allowed a checked bag besides our carry-on, frequently we have stopped by Salvation Army or Goodwill and bought a duffle load of bluejeans in many sizes. If we have a few hours free at our destination, we might locate an orphanage. If not, any church would find plenty of people to share with. It kind of spreads some kindness. Not for everybody.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

GAAP wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:59 am
climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am I understand the camera, but what does a laptop have to do with photography? I usually travel with a full frame Sony RX1 and have never felt the need for a computer. I shoot RAW, take plenty of high quality SD cards so there's zero risk of running out of storage, and transfer everything to my computer when I get home.
You have part, but not all of a good backup strategy in place. With this example, all of your photos are subject to loss at the same time since they are all physically in the same location until you load them on the computer.

Take it from someone who knows. I lost 25 years of photographs in one day to thieves before I implemented a 3-2-1 strategy. Take a look at https://www.slrlounge.com/data-backup-3 ... ement-now/ for one photographer's explanation of the strategy.
I think it's just a difference in risk tolerance. I do have backups of my entire photo collection in several separate physical locations, but I don't worry about this when I travel. It'd be different if I were a pro who depended on those pictures to make a living.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

In terms of backing up photos, there are services that will automatically backup photos from your phone, and I almost always just use my phone as my camera. For me, OneDrive backs up all my photos automatically when I'm connected to wi-fi, at no added cost. Ditto Amazon Prime photos.

I've found that a phone plus a 7" tablet is a great combination for traveling. The phone is used for a host of things, particular for anything where I want to have it with me, handy, almost all the time. With t-mobile as my carrier I get free 2G internet and texting pretty much anywhere in the world I want to go, and 25 cents per minute calling --- a whole lot easier than all the times that I got a local sim card from various carriers in an unlocked GSM phone.

The tablet is good for:

- doing things while my phone is charging (and vice versa)
- reading books
- web browsing
- email
- looking at maps, both cached (maps.me, here) and online
- TV, movies, either wi-fi or cached from netflix or amazon. With a Fire recast at home, I can watch my local news from anywhere I get wi-fi

A 7" screen isn't huge, but makes a big difference over the phone screen for a lot of things.
A blue tooth folding keyboard can be nice at times (depending on the trip) too, along with a lightweight folding tablet stand.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

xb7 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm In terms of backing up photos, there are services that will automatically backup photos from your phone, and I almost always just use my phone as my camera. For me, OneDrive backs up all my photos automatically when I'm connected to wi-fi, at no added cost. Ditto Amazon Prime photos.

I've found that a phone plus a 7" tablet is a great combination for traveling. The phone is used for a host of things, particular for anything where I want to have it with me, handy, almost all the time. With t-mobile as my carrier I get free 2G internet and texting pretty much anywhere in the world I want to go, and 25 cents per minute calling --- a whole lot easier than all the times that I got a local sim card from various carriers in an unlocked GSM phone.

The tablet is good for:

- reading books
- web browsing
- email
- TV, movies, either wi-fi or cached from netflix or amazon. With a Fire recast at home, I can watch my local news from anywhere I get wi-fi

A 7" screen isn't huge, but makes a big difference over the phone screen for a lot of things.
A blue tooth folding keyboard can be nice at times (depending on the trip) too, along with a lightweight folding tablet stand.
Thanks.
Small iPad might help lighten things up.
Although I use Lightroom on my MacBook to do pic reviews from the days shoots.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:06 pm
xb7 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm In terms of backing up photos, there are services that will automatically backup photos from your phone, and I almost always just use my phone as my camera. For me, OneDrive backs up all my photos automatically when I'm connected to wi-fi, at no added cost. Ditto Amazon Prime photos.

The tablet is good for:

- reading books
- web browsing
- email

Thanks.
Small iPad might help lighten things up.
Although I use Lightroom on my MacBook to do pic reviews from the days shoots.
+1. I organize and rename the photos as I shoot them via importing to lightroom at night. In addition to now having a backup and checking out some of the pictures, I don't get home with 500+ pictures named 12345.RAW spread across multiple SD cards to organize. I already have the photos renamed in the folder structure I want; all I have to do at home is import the pictures from the laptop to the desktop.

I mean, that's surely overkill for most people, but "why a laptop?" That's why. And it's nice having a real computer for other things.

If not doing photo stuff, I'd usually be happy with my phone and my ipad. I will say that seriously, the macbook air is not that much more trouble to transport than an ipad.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

Typically, whatever can fit in a carry on size bag. Not so much for the plane but so that it can stay with me on a bus, inside a taxi, etc.

Anything I can't easily get locally. For instance, with my size of feet a second pair of shoes comes in handy for multi-month trips.

In many areas of the world the locals dress as well as they can afford. Looking the part can go a long way towards maintaining their respect. In addition to that, nowadays I bring a decent enough set of clothes that I wouldn't be embarrassed if I ended up in the office of the VP for a major bank in the country or at a wedding. That and some business cards.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

halfnine wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:23 pm Typically, whatever can fit in a carry on size bag. Not so much for the plane but so that it can stay with me on a bus, inside a taxi, etc.
Also worth noting: many European airlines have much stricter/smaller/lighter requirements for carry-on -- yet another reason to travel light.

They also enforce those carry-on restrictions much more than US carriers. I've seen a (very upset) musician forced to check his guitar).
Bogle7

pack less

Post by Bogle7 »

climber2020 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:36 am Question for those who have responded so far: if you're not traveling for business, what is the purpose of carrying around a laptop?
I agree.
We took a trip to Europe in 2017 with 2 iPhones and an iPad Pro with keyboard. The iPad worked quite well for all the vacation stuff.
But, we found that we had more difficulty supporting our customers, so for our 2018 trip, we added an Macbook Pro and it made life easier.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.