Talk me in/out of $35k Tesla Model 3

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
levocap

Talk me in/out of $35k Tesla Model 3

Post by levocap » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:43 pm

With the news last night, I am serious considering exercising my option of buying base model of Model 3.
I deposited $1k for the Model 3 when it was first announced in 2016 but resisted the higher price models because I didn't think they were a good "value". Now that the $35k version is out, I am really tempted to go for it.
The model 3 would replace our 2016 BMW X3, which my wife drives. She doesn't love the X3, but also is not a car geek like me. I am a train commuter so i drive 2 miles daily to train station in a 2008 BMW 328i with 150k miles which I still love. But I would be driving the Model 3 on the weekends and every other chance i get ! My plan is to swap the X3 for the Model 3, which would result in an initial outlay of $15k (see calculation below)

Model 3 cost + tax + doc fees + Fed and State rebate = $37000
X3 private party sale price = $22000.

Some financial stats: 42yr old with wife and 2 young kids. NW about $4m and annual income ~$350k. Annual expense ~$100k.
Yes, financially I am stable and can afford it. But spending $37k car will literally the MOST i have ever spent on a car (last high price purchase was a $30k CPO MDX that preceded the X3).

I prescribe to the philosophy of Save, invest and LBYM. Never buy too much house or car. But I am also a car geek and like to read about cars and wrench on them (when i have time). And this is why this decision is hard.
Will go test drive the car this weekend with my wife and see how that goes. Anyone here currently own the Model 3 that can opine on reliability, build quality and overall satisfaction?

Should i just do it and chalk this up as one of those "don't need but really want and can afford and should do it just to make yourself happy?" things?

Litfury

Re: Talk me in/out of $35k Tesla Model 3

Post by Litfury » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Given the information provided I'd say just buy it. Heck, you could get a model S without even stretching.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:51 pm

As someone who said to myself that I would wait until the price is $35k, I'm also thinking about this. Similarly, I commute via train so I wouldn't really be getting much use out of it.

I don't typically look at cars in the $30k+ range though so I don't know what all my options are. I would take a harder look at all the cars that I could get for $35k.

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:52 pm

I'm in this boat too. :) I also have never paid more than about $25k for a car, but man that Model 3 is tempting.

I can give you some reasons not to buy:
  • Build quality and reliability are not great. They recently lost their Consumer Reports recommendation. A colleague at my work literally had parts of the front suspension fall off his August 2018 Model 3, so not even an early build.
  • Tesla may be in financial trouble. If they go under, you will be stuck with an unserviceable, complicated car.
  • Traditional car companies are getting serious about EVs, and many more are coming in the next few years. A Model 3 might be quickly leapfrogged by these more established competitors.
  • You'll have to get a charger installed at your house, a not-insignificant extra cost.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:55 pm

levocap wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:43 pm
Should i just do it and chalk this up as one of those "don't need but really want and can afford and should do it just to make yourself happy?" things?
You'll never know for sure if it'll make you happy - and for how long - until you do it. So, yes. Go ahead, if your wife says OK.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:56 pm

+1

You are doing well with your savings, you can afford it, and you are currently driving an older car. Sure, I grant you this ONE wish. Next toy goes to your beautiful wife :-)

bligh

Post by bligh » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:00 pm

It's called the "Tesla Stretch". Google it, its actually a thing. Lots of people in this exact situation - Would have never dreamed of spending that much on a car up until now.

Reminds me of when the iPhone came out. It was the same.. people spent more on their iPhone than they had ever spent on a phone before.

Go ahead and get it if you want it, you can certainly easily afford it. I almost got the Model 3 myself (another Tesla Stretch) but went scratched the itch with a used convertible at half the cost instead.

Good luck!

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:03 pm

You asked for opinions, so here's mine:

Cars are boring. Save your money.
Last edited by carol-brennan on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:06 pm

carol-brennan wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:03 pm
Cars are boring. Save your money.
To be fair, most cars are boring. Driving a Tesla is not boring

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:12 pm

wilked wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:06 pm
To be fair, most cars are boring. Driving a Tesla is not boring
That was my opinion. The OP asked for opinions.

I will elaborate: Driving is boring. Cars are boring. Best to get out of car and walk around, keep yourself fit. Put the money in a bank. Buy the cheapest, most reliable USED car you can and hold on to it until it's dead.

That's how you build wealth. Buying stupid cars is how you destroy wealth.

I know someone in 2008 who had a mortgage on a McMansion, not one but two car loans on expensive cars, and lost his job. Then proceeded to lose the expensive stuff. Then lost his wife and kids.

Best time to save for an emergency is when there is no emergency.

Additionally, buy a car that:

--- Does not look fancy
--- That no one will want to steal or defile
--- That you aren't afraid of taking to the bad part of town (a growing number of towns consist mostly of bad parts)
--- Looks worse than most other cars in the parking lot (theft and vandalism deterrent)
--- Has ridiculously low maintenance costs (Toyota?)
--- Very cheap to insure
--- Everybody has parts for, and every mechanic knows how to repair
--- Will go farther than 220 miles on a tank of gas
Last edited by carol-brennan on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:13 pm

I too had a reservation on a model 3 and was very excited for it. After sitting in one I was extremely disappointed by the style and build quality of the interior. Worst, I could not get over the uncomfortable seats which felt like you were sitting on a bubble.

When they announced the $35k version would be out and have a lower grade interior, my first thought was “how could the interior possibly be any more bargain basement than it already is”

For perspective, I drove a very similar car to you...2011 BMW 328 6mt. Same body style and interior as the 2008 that you have. The build quality, ergonomics and seats in that car are excellent, and I miss it every day. It was totaled in an accident and I replaced it with a 2017 530i. I still miss that 328 though, extremely reliable fun to drive great style and material quality and extremely safe. It saved my life from a truck traveling at speed and weighing many times what the 328 weighs.

Keep your 328, it’s such a well rounded vehicle. You may also want to consider the new BMW 3 series which is just hitting showrooms. Costs same as Tesla and has a far nicer interior and better technology, as does the latest X3 which is a complete redesign from the one your wife drives.
Last edited by ssquared87 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Watts

Post by Watts » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:13 pm

I've had a model 3 for about six months now and absolutely love it. Car is a joy to drive and has been rock-solid reliable. Already have 15,000 miles on it!

FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 pm

NW of 4mm and are worried about a $35K car. Sheesh

Topic Author
levocap

Post by levocap » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:20 pm

how do you think I got to $4m :D :D :D :D :D

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:24 pm

You can afford it, and want it so go ahead :) . Personally I would not buy a Tesla, but would buy another luxury brand, and probably a low mileage used car if available.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm

I have never spent more than $15K on a car and that was just last year, wife got used Mazda CX-9, my car is a 2001 CAmry with 152K miles on it. what is the federal credit on these? I already have solar so it wouldn't hurt my energy bill that much to charge at home, and I would use it to commute to work 15 miles each way per day

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 pm

Smart to replace a 2016 with a new car? No.

Can you afford it? Yes - to the point of you didn't really need to ask.

Would I ever spend more than 20K on a car anymore? Nope.

All about personal preference and I respect that.

penguindance49

Post by penguindance49 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm

bligh wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:00 pm
It's called the "Tesla Stretch". Google it, its actually a thing. Lots of people in this exact situation - Would have never dreamed of spending that much on a car up until now.
Woo boy did I have this. I've always been interested in electric (hybrid) cars since my friend's mom got a Prius when we were young. I recently (this past October/November) started the car buying process... and the temptation to get a Tesla was ridiculously strong. It made exactly zero sense for me, financially or practically. Well, financially I'm *pretty* sure I could have still comfortably swung it... but if I'm only *pretty sure* that's not sure enough for me. Practically speaking, I live in a complex and park in a large outdoor lot and know full well I couldn't get a charging station there. Tried to figure out if I could make it work anyway... charge at my boyfriend's occasionally, there's a Tesla dealership near me with a charging station, there's a super charging station about 20 miles away from me...

I realized I was bending over backwards to try to figure out how to make it work for me, and it just wasn't going to. I settled on a Prius Prime (and love it!). I'd still like a Tesla, but it's definitely not in the near future for me.

OP, it sounds like your asking for permission from internet strangers. If purchasing it isn't gonna cause you hardship or delay your plans, and your wife is on board - go for it!

Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:52 pm

IMO, Tesla seems to be on shaky ground and Elon Musk seems to be kind of a buffoon to me. I wouldn't splurge on that car; who knows how well its made.

GuineaPig

Post by GuineaPig » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:07 pm

You have loads of money, so that's not the issue. You can easily afford it.

But I notice that you've got two young kids. Seems to me that your next vehicle should be one that is better for transporting the family, not worse.

Ferdinand2014

Post by Ferdinand2014 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Can you afford it? Of course.

Tesla 3? Yuck. If you like to wrench on cars and love driving cars maybe consider a normally aspirated, Manual transmission car. In 5 years they will be a rare thing. More fun to boot. How about a 4 year old Porsche Cayman or Boxster? That would be way more fun. Base model well within 35,000 range. Plus someone else took the depreciation hit and they will hold there value way more than a Model 3. I track mine. Bet Tesla’s bankrupt in a few years.

penguindance49

Post by penguindance49 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Coltrane75 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:52 pm
IMO, Tesla seems to be on shaky ground and Elon Musk seems to be kind of a buffoon to me. I wouldn't splurge on that car; who knows how well its made.
He's a great inventor, but man is he going to screw up the company. I mean, you're really going to pick a fight with the SEC? Really? Also, he (like 90% of the population) really needs to get off Twitter.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:33 pm
my car is a 2001 CAmry with 152K miles on it.
I have a 2005 Camry with 95K miles on it. As seldom as I drive, I suppose the body will wear out before the engine does? I don't know. How long do these cars last if they're driven like mine is (maybe ~5,000 miles per year)?

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:51 pm

During the test drive, focus on the fact that you need to use the touchscreen to do everything. I mean everything. Change the radio station? Use the touchscreen. Change the AC settings? Use the touchscreen. Adjust the AC vents? Use the touchscreen. Open the glove box? Use the touchscreen (yes, you read that right). I've heard (and read) that it gets old really fast.

The model 3 also lacks Android Auto or CarPlay, if those matter to you, which is somewhat counter-intuitive.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:05 pm

I am going to try to drive my camry into the ground for another 2 years, then maybe when these cars can be had off original lease pre-owned they should be about half the price and then I will have paid off wifes CX-9 so maybe then I will get it. I like the idea of having solar and a EV car as well, and I am not an environment nut, but if it saves me money and is cool and helps the environment, sounds like wins to me, but also hearing lots of other car companies going to bring out EV cars, so maybe still better to wait until the technology is more proven and repairs are more known.

grettman

Post by grettman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:07 pm

levocap wrote:
I prescribe to the philosophy of Save, invest and LBYM. Never buy too much house or car. But I am also a car geek and like to read about cars and wrench on them (when i have time). And this is why this decision is hard.
Will go test drive the car this weekend with my wife and see how that goes. Anyone here currently own the Model 3 that can opine on reliability, build quality and overall satisfaction?

You should do what makes you happy because frankly, financially you can do this and that part of this decision is a no-brainer.

I don't know why someone who likes to wrench and who loves cars would want this vehicle though.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:08 pm

The nearest Tesla Service Center is 3 hours & over 200 miles away. I doubt that there are many local mechanics that can fix a Model 3. An Model S owner in the area was quoted a 4 month wait for a replacement windshield.

The above gives me pause, and has convinced a friend in the neighborhood to pass on a Tesla.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:11 pm

deskjockey wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:51 pm
The model 3 also lacks Android Auto or CarPlay, if those matter to you, which is somewhat counter-intuitive.
That's really crazy... A tech car that can't use those basic programs on your phone?

My Honda Civic that costs half as much has those features.

But OP, you can easily afford the car... You can even afford to buy it, drive it for a year, and sell it if you don't like it. You can easily eat the $10k loss if you go that way.
The J stands for Jay

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:13 pm

levocap wrote:
With the news last night, I am serious considering exercising my option of buying base model of Model 3.
I deposited $1k for the Model 3 when it was first announced in 2016 but resisted the higher price models because I didn't think they were a good "value". Now that the $35k version is out, I am really tempted to go for it.
The model 3 would replace our 2016 BMW X3, which my wife drives. She doesn't love the X3, but also is not a car geek like me. I am a train commuter so i drive 2 miles daily to train station in a 2008 BMW 328i with 150k miles which I still love. But I would be driving the Model 3 on the weekends and every other chance i get ! My plan is to swap the X3 for the Model 3, which would result in an initial outlay of $15k (see calculation below)

Model 3 cost + tax + doc fees + Fed and State rebate = $37000
X3 private party sale price = $22000.

Some financial stats: 42yr old with wife and 2 young kids. NW about $4m and annual income ~$350k. Annual expense ~$100k.
Yes, financially I am stable and can afford it. But spending $37k car will literally the MOST i have ever spent on a car (last high price purchase was a $30k CPO MDX that preceded the X3).

Having owned a BMW i3 for the last almost 2 years now, I can say with confidence that if I were in the market for a new car today, I'd buy a Tesla without hesitation. I paid 41k for my car, plus tax. I LOVE my car. I can not say enough good things about driving an all electric car. But, the Tesla Model 3 is definitely a better buy, though the 35k model probably doesn't have quite as many luxury features as the BMW. But, regardless, I would buy the Model 3 right now if I were you. You can afford it (easily) and you have definitely done your homework.
Enjoy!

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:14 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:08 pm
The nearest Tesla Service Center is 3 hours & over 200 miles away. I doubt that there are many local mechanics that can fix a Model 3. An Model S owner in the area was quoted a 4 month wait for a replacement windshield.

The above gives me pause, and has convinced a friend in the neighborhood to pass on a Tesla.
You call Tesla and they send a tech to you. They will fix it in your driveway or in your work parking lot;)

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:19 pm

hightower wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:14 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:08 pm

You call Tesla and they send a tech to you. They will fix it in your driveway or in your work parking lot;)
Yes, I know. Tesla says their mobile service can fix 80% of the problems that come up, but I fear they are possibly optimistic in this estimate. It also doesn't get you a part, such as a replacement windshield, that's on 4 month back-order.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:25 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:11 pm
deskjockey wrote:
That's really crazy... A tech car that can't use those basic programs on your phone?

My Honda Civic that costs half as much has those features.
The Tesla is missing other tech features as well. The omission that bugs me the most is that it doesn't have surround view parking cameras. A very useful feature that Tesla didn't bother including in any of their cars. You can get it on fairly inexpensive cars like the Camry, Mazda 6, and Leaf, but not Teslas. Bizarre.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:31 pm

deskjockey wrote:
During the test drive, focus on the fact that you need to use the touchscreen to do everything. I mean everything. Change the radio station? Use the touchscreen. Change the AC settings? Use the touchscreen. Adjust the AC vents? Use the touchscreen. Open the glove box? Use the touchscreen (yes, you read that right). I've heard (and read) that it gets old really fast.

First thing I noticed when my neighbor let me wife drive his (I sat in the passenger seat). Annoying as heck and IMO, actually a bit dangerous. My wife was drooling over his car until she had the opportunity to drive it. Shimmer wore off in a matter of minutes.

steve50

Post by steve50 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Tesla Model 3 owner for a while. One of the best purchase I ever made and is so much fun to drive. If you can afford it, I would go with premium package and AP & FSD options also.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:46 pm

For my birthday, my wife took me to the Tesla dealership for a test drive, which I suppose, should go into the "what frugal thing did you do today" thread.

The car was cool.

The company, though, is a hot mess, and I don't want to deal with company risk when I'm buying a car.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:48 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:31 pm
deskjockey wrote:

First thing I noticed when my neighbor let me wife drive his (I sat in the passenger seat). Annoying as heck and IMO, actually a bit dangerous. My wife was drooling over his car until she had the opportunity to drive it. Shimmer wore off in a matter of minutes.
Indeed, it's a highly-irritating and distracting way to control the car. I think they did it to reduce cost and manufacturing complexity as well as some misguided design philosophy. However, I give them a lot of credit for advancing the development of electric drive-trains and forcing other companies to accelerate the development of their electric cars. In terms of buying one, I would wait for a fully-featured electric car with all the tech and proper controls. These are coming soon.

Pizza_and_Beer

Post by Pizza_and_Beer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:52 pm

levocap wrote:
Yes, financially I am stable and can afford it.
Go ahead and buy it! Life is too short.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Being able to afford a certain financial transaction and that transaction being the most financially savvy are two separate concepts.

Halfvolley

Post by Halfvolley » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Go for it. It's awesome.

We purchased a white AWD Model 3 with aero wheels and autopilot in December. Though we're still in the honeymoon phase, there's not a tinge of buyer's remorse yet.

It was definitely an odd purchase for us. We are about 10 years younger with similar income and less than half your NW. Our cars before this purchase were an 07 Accord ($5k) and a 15 Leaf ($7k).

Both our babies fit just fine in the back and their accessories fit in the trunk and frunk.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:17 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:51 pm
I don't typically look at cars in the $30k+ range though so I don't know what all my options are. I would take a harder look at all the cars that I could get for $35k.
Looks like Massachusetts has $1500 rebate for EVs under $50k in addition to the current $3750 federal credit, so that barely puts the $35k under $30k for you if that makes a difference.

FIBoston

Post by FIBoston » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:27 pm

One thing worth thinking about is car space you will need as your kids get older. Between the Model 3 and your older BMW, will your cars have the space to scale up as the kids get older? Again, making $350k a year with $4m in the bank in your early 40s, you probably don't need to worry about buying an SUV later on but just something to think about it.

dacalo

Post by dacalo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:47 pm

GuineaPig wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:07 pm

But I notice that you've got two young kids. Seems to me that your next vehicle should be one that is better for transporting the family, not worse.
It's been decided, Tesla X then! :twisted:

chrisam314

Post by chrisam314 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:51 pm

There have been articles recently about people waiting for months and having to spend a ton of money on simple fender benders.

Here's an example:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-is-c ... 1549810800

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:00 pm

dacalo wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:47 pm
GuineaPig wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:07 pm

It's been decided, Tesla X then! :twisted:
Yes, this. In OPs position I would be in the X. I'm waiting until 2023 to upgrade my Nissan Leaf into a Tesla.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:54 pm

Look at the new Nissan Leaf Plus.

226 mi of range, $37k MSRP (can probably negotiate that down, unlike Tesla).

Oh and you get some analog dials and switches :D

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:06 am

I think the technology with electric cars is going to move incredibly fast. The current offerings are going to be extremely outdated in a few years. It's like buying one of the very first smart phones then keeping it for 10 years. Once the segment matures more and the yearly improvements start to flatten (at least a few more years) would be a better time to purchase imo.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:20 am

levocap wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:20 pm
how do you think I got to $4m :D :D :D :D :D
I agree, but your expenses are $100k/yr. You can retire today and buy a new Tesla every other year and be fine. So financially you are on solid ground. If you have never wasted money on a car before, then do it at least once to get the experience. Otherwise you may regret it later in life. I would never recommend this advice if you were not so financially stable.
dustinst22 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:06 am
I think the technology with electric cars is going to move incredibly fast. The current offerings are going to be extremely outdated in a few years. It's like buying one of the very first smart phones then keeping it for 10 years. Once the segment matures more and the yearly improvements start to flatten (at least a few more years) would be a better time to purchase imo.
I am so excited for this. I am can't wait to have an all electric car that has practically no maintenance. My current car is 6 years old. I hope to get another 4-6 years out of it, and hopefully by then the reliability of electric cars will be on par with Toyotas and Hondas.

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 am

I bought a plug-in hybrid and have mixed feelings. Probably would have been better to by a regular car and the let the automakers hash it out. The above comparison to early smartphones is close...but early version phones didn't carry us and our children. All this new tech seems complicated. And potentially unsafe and unreliable. So far it's been a safe and happy experience. Luck is a wonderful thing and I hope you have it either way you go!

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:40 am

The Tesla screens seem freakishly big to me and hurt my eyes.
I guess you get used to it but I wouldn't buy one because of that.