Priority boarding - Why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
spitty

Re: Priority boarding - Why?

Post by spitty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:59 am

Overhead space and tight connecting flights seem tenable reasons. SW doesn't seem to pay any attention to carry on size anymore which delays takeoff by 7-10 minutes on some of my flights lately. Are other airlines ignoring this policy too?

A buddy who's about 350lb loves to get on SW last and slowly swagger down the aisle enjoying everyone's fear of "please don't sit in my middle seat". I told him they'll start charging him for two seats if he gains anymore!

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:02 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:08 pm
ponyboy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm
I havent flown in 8 years where I didnt have a connecting flight. Your luggage will make it to its final destination when its checked at the gate. Sounds like you werent aware of that. And its free.
Maybe it will. Maybe it won’t. If I don’t care, I check my bag at the checkin counter and don’t schlepp it all over the airport first (I get a free checked bag (or two) on pretty much all major airlines). But on many trips it either really matters that it arrives with me and not a day or two later, or it simply contains fragile/valuable items.
This. The dive gear in my carry on is expensive and unique enough that replacing it at my destination is impossible. For nondive trips, I travel without a checked bag as I am often alone late at night and need to get to the car rental counter before they close. So, yeah, it's worth it to rush ontio the plane for the overhead bin space.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:11 am

PinotGris wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:55 am
I wish they would do away entirely with carry on luggage and give every one free bag check. It is a mess with both boarding and off-boarding taking enormous amount of time and the bags can be dangerous when they are humongous and heavy.
Virtually every airline would need to increase connection times if the bags couldn't be checked through. Getting a checked bag from the carousel would take forever. On a connecting flight, I would have to go through security again if I am going from international to the U.S. to somewhere different in the U.S. or somewhere my bag couldn't be checked through. Airlines would have to make sure they never lose a checked bag.If airlines enforced their carry on bag rules, this wouldn't be an issue. People are bringing massive roller bags that should not be allowed due to the carry on bag rules. Eiminate those and it is night and day.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:26 am

Other than the overhead bin space, my main reason is on an airline with open seating like Southwest, getting to sit near the front to get off the plane quicker (takes forever to get off the plane from the back of a full 737) plus I can have more choice of who to sit next to, so as to not have to sit next to an obese person spilling over the armrest into my space. If you are in the last boarding group on Southwest, your choices will basically be middle seats or seats next to obese people.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:43 am

PinotGris wrote:
I wish they would do away entirely with carry on luggage and give every one free bag check. It is a mess with both boarding and off-boarding taking enormous amount of time and the bags can be dangerous when they are humongous and heavy.
Amen on this. +1-2-3
This is you whole solution. No carry on bags that do not fit into the prescribed bin at the gate.
Free checked bags, carry ons $50.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:45 am

tim1999 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:26 am
Other than the overhead bin space, my main reason is on an airline with open seating like Southwest, getting to sit near the front to get off the plane quicker (takes forever to get off the plane from the back of a full 737) plus I can have more choice of who to sit next to, so as to not have to sit next to an obese person spilling over the armrest into my space. If you are in the last boarding group on Southwest, your choices will basically be middle seats or seats next to obese people.
Actually boarding toward the end of the second group or the beginning of the last group) is as successful for what you describe. You can already evaluate the size of the people on both sides of you when you choose your middle seat. I wouldn't use that strategy but others might.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:43 am
PinotGris wrote:
Amen on this. +1-2-3
This is you whole solution. No carry on bags that do not fit into the prescribed bin at the gate.
I'm guessing that airlines can't afford to leave unused overhead bin space. They would have to redesign their aircraft.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
I'm guessing that airlines can't afford to leave unused overhead bin space. They would have to redesign their aircraft.
What makes you think this? If I am traveling for work (which many airline travelers do) there are many reasons you may not want to check a bag. And money is rarely a concern because I can expense the charge.

I would be more worried about how airlines would pull this off. Purses and laptop cases would get to become the size of sleeping bags when leisure travel is involved.

You can't not take things with you, i.e. medication. And airlines can't charge for purses or at least one carry-on.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:07 am

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm
Aside from Southwest and those traveling in first class, can somebody please explain what benefit you get from getting on an airplane early?

To me, the less time I spend inside of a cramped, metal Petri dish, the better - even if it means having to gate-check my carryon.

Do any BHs value this “perk”?
But what is your alternative? Its not like you can sit at home. Instead your in the gate in cramped seating too. Theres a rush then and you stand in line desperatey waiting to get in and hoping to get a good space for luggage.

On the other hand as a first class pssenger you get the same cramped seat as at the gate and can have your stuff in already. No stress.

If you are first class you also get free access to the plane lounge. Especially delta.

I never traveled first class domestic but my employer covers it now. Ill be sure to let you know my experience in a week.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:09 am

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:47 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
PinotGris wrote:
Amen on this. +1-2-3
Some airlines are already doing this, i.e., charging for carry-ons. Spirit is one. Of course, they also charge for checked bags. With them, the only free bag you get is a small personal item that must fit underneath the seat in front of you. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the big legacy carriers start charging for carry-ons, they too will charge for checked bags.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:13 am

9liner wrote:
Aside from Southwest and those traveling in first class, can somebody please explain what benefit you get from getting on an airplane early?

To me, the less time I spend inside of a cramped, metal Petri dish, the better - even if it means having to gate-check my carryon.

For ordinary priority (not first class, but Gold, Platinum, Platinum plus to use an American Airlines example), you get on before all of the overhead bins fill up.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 am

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:28 pm
So I can take up all the space in the overhead, of course. :twisted:
+1. And if I don't get a seat with extra-legroom I might even be one of those jerks that puts BOTH their bags in the overhead so that my feet fit comfortably under the chair in front of me. :twisted:

Calico

Post by Calico » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:19 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm
I do the opposite. If I am not in business or first I wait to be one of the last people to board. I see no reason to get on early unless someone is pouring me a Bloody Mary or a glass of wine.

I usually giggle inside at all the people standing in line to get on the plane earlier just to be crammed up with everyone else. I also giggle at everyone who stands up as soon as the plan stops even if the door is not open. I just don't understand the rush. You can't get off the plane until they open the doors. Why stand crammed up with other people trying to squeeze their carryons in between. So silly.
Well, one reason I stand up right away when the plane stops is usually because I am in a little bit of pain from my sciatic nerve from sitting in such an uncomfortable seat and sitting for so long. Just being able to stand up brings so much relief to my leg (my nerve hurts with pain shooting down my hip through my left leg).

It's also why I like to get on early and make sure I have overhead space. Even though I only bring a small bag and it will fit under the seat, being able to stretch out my left leg helps with the pain. Being forced to sit with both knees bent for hours hurts over time. So I want my fair share of overhead space before someone with too many or oversized bags takes it.

I hate flying. I avoid it when I can. Anything less than 1,000 miles, I rather drive (and do) because I can stop when I want and take a short walk. Of course, I don't have that choice when work sends me to a conference. I try to upgrade my seat if I can on those trips Business class seats are a little better in most cases.
JediMisty wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:02 am
TravelGeek wrote:
ponyboy wrote:
I havent flown in 8 years where I didnt have a connecting flight. Your luggage will make it to its final destination when its checked at the gate. Sounds like you werent aware of that. And its free.
Maybe it will. Maybe it won’t. If I don’t care, I check my bag at the checkin counter and don’t schlepp it all over the airport first (I get a free checked bag (or two) on pretty much all major airlines). But on many trips it either really matters that it arrives with me and not a day or two later, or it simply contains fragile/valuable items.
This. The dive gear in my carry on is expensive and unique enough that replacing it at my destination is impossible. For nondive trips, I travel without a checked bag as I am often alone late at night and need to get to the car rental counter before they close. So, yeah, it's worth it to rush ontio the plane for the overhead bin space.
Every time I've ever checked my dive gear, it gets delayed by TSA and is not there when I arrive (I always have that TSA note in my checked dive bag so I am assuming that's how it gets held up). I take my dive computer, mask, reg, and boots and gloves with me on in my carry on but I check the bigger gear. Do you ever check any gear (wetsuit, fins, backplate or BCD?) and if so, have you ever run into TSA issues or am I just unlucky. I always wondered that. haha

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 am

It used to be that airlines boarded from rear to front, after seating first class. This scheme mostly kept the overhead storage open as people used the bins from rear to front, too.

At some point, the airline industry changed to what is called the WILMA scheme. They now board window, middle, then aisle (usually groups 3, 4, 5, respectively), after first class and loyalty members. People traveling together board together in the earliest group. This means that the overhead bins across the entire cabin get taken by the window seat passengers. If you are traveling alone in a coveted aisle seat, you risk not having any overhead bin space by the time you board (unless you're a frequent traveler with high status).

-B

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:30 am

9liner wrote:
+999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Topic Author
9liner

Post by 9liner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am

Barsoom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 am
It used to be that airlines boarded from rear to front, after seating first class. This scheme mostly kept the overhead storage open as people used the bins from rear to front, too.

At some point, the airline industry changed to what is called the WILMA scheme. They now board window, middle, then aisle (usually groups 3, 4, 5, respectively), after first class and loyalty members. People traveling together board together in the earliest group. This means that the overhead bins across the entire cabin get taken by the window seat passengers. If you are traveling alone in a coveted aisle seat, you risk not having any overhead bin space by the time you board (unless you're a frequent traveler with high status).

-B
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... lines.html

Here’s a story about a Myth Busters episode where they tested various boarding methods. Obviously, it’s far from scientific and there’s no way they controlled for all the variables, but I was surprised to seee that the SW “free-for-all” method was the shortest - followed closely by the WILMA method.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:00 am

To start charging my device in seat.

drk

Post by drk » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:47 am
drk wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:35 pm
Overhead space is the primary reason, but I also prefer sitting in a plane seat for ten minutes to standing at the gate and hustling past a couple hundred strangers to get to my seat.
What about sitting patiently next to the gate in a much larger roomier seat with no one around you? Then once everyone has boarded you gently stroll in and take your seat.
Again, I would end up with either no overhead space or inconvenient space, and I find airport terminal seats uncomfortable in their own right (on most trips, I’ll never sit in them). When I was younger, I used to take your suggested approach, but now I (a) know better and (b) have access to priority boarding on every airline I fly.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:20 am

For us priority boarding is important so we have space in the overhead for our carry on stuff.. we carry on meds, cameras and other things we do not want to check or let out of our control. Being in a seat on the plane is also better (IMHO) than being in a crowded noisy terminal waiting to board hanging onto your carry-on.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:26 am

Barsoom wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 am

-B
The WILMA method has mostly been discontinued as well. For example, Delta's Zones have more to do with fare paid than anything else (and nothing to do with whether your seat is window, middle or aisle.). The final boarding group is those that booked Basic Economy fares. The next to last group is those who booked deeply discounted fares (code T, X, and V).

United is similar. Not sure about American, haven't flown them in a long time.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am

ponyboy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:42 pm
You think people would have figured it out by now. The airline will check your bag for free, once you get to the gate. Just hand them your bag, pick it up when you arrive. It amazes me what people will do to save a few minutes out of their day. People run to line up and board like animals. Its actually fascinating if you think about it. We're all so primal...those genes are hard coded in our dna. A survival tick I would say.
Why would I want to wait for my bag if I don't have to? The "pain" of boarding early is much less than the "pain" of waiting for my bag unnecessarily.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 am

mak1277 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am
Why would I want to wait for my bag if I don't have to? The "pain" of boarding early is much less than the "pain" of waiting for my bag unnecessarily.
Many of us "have to" due to the need to travel with tools and other items that TSA will not allow in carry on bags. Since I often need to check a bag for that reason, I don't need to live with tiny bottles of my bathroom items.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:36 am

9liner wrote:

I used to feel the same way but twice in the last ten years, I have flown on flights that have stopped ticketed passengers from getting on the flight because the flight was overweight. Both times it happened around Christmas when I assume people are bringing heavy presents home. On one flight, there were perhaps a half dozen people behind me, all with tickets, that weren't allowed to board the flight.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:08 am

Calico wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:19 am
EnjoyIt wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm
I do the opposite. If I am not in business or first I wait to be one of the last people to board. I see no reason to get on early unless someone is pouring me a Bloody Mary or a glass of wine.

I usually giggle inside at all the people standing in line to get on the plane earlier just to be crammed up with everyone else. I also giggle at everyone who stands up as soon as the plan stops even if the door is not open. I just don't understand the rush. You can't get off the plane until they open the doors. Why stand crammed up with other people trying to squeeze their carryons in between. So silly.
Well, one reason I stand up right away when the plane stops is usually because I am in a little bit of pain from my sciatic nerve from sitting in such an uncomfortable seat and sitting for so long. Just being able to stand up brings so much relief to my leg (my nerve hurts with pain shooting down my hip through my left leg).

It's also why I like to get on early and make sure I have overhead space. Even though I only bring a small bag and it will fit under the seat, being able to stretch out my left leg helps with the pain. Being forced to sit with both knees bent for hours hurts over time. So I want my fair share of overhead space before someone with too many or oversized bags takes it.

I hate flying. I avoid it when I can. Anything less than 1,000 miles, I rather drive (and do) because I can stop when I want and take a short walk. Of course, I don't have that choice when work sends me to a conference. I try to upgrade my seat if I can on those trips Business class seats are a little better in most cases.
JediMisty wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:02 am
TravelGeek wrote:
ponyboy wrote:
Every time I've ever checked my dive gear, it gets delayed by TSA and is not there when I arrive (I always have that TSA note in my checked dive bag so I am assuming that's how it gets held up). I take my dive computer, mask, reg, and boots and gloves with me on in my carry on but I check the bigger gear. Do you ever check any gear (wetsuit, fins, backplate or BCD?) and if so, have you ever run into TSA issues or am I just unlucky. I always wondered that. haha
I pack my computers (I bring a spare) and regulator in my carry on because of the cost to replace. Also a bathing suit and overnight necessities in case I'm overnighted in Houston. (I'm a small thin woman, a bathing suit can't be bought easily if my dive bag is delayed). Alas, all else must go in the dive bag that I check. I have found that anything the X-ray machines cannot see through easily such as cooler bag or lined bags for my regulator gets my bag way laid. Leave those home now. For time critical lay overs or when the destination is a live aboard in far away places, I arrive 12 hours or even days early. Misplaced gear is terribly inconvenient. Rental gear never fits me and I use a combo inflator octupus for my spare air which won't fit rental gear.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:17 am

I fly on my own dime and not for biz. CC access to group 2 boarding. I plan my trips and seat selection ,trying for hobo 1st class (A row of 3 empty seats).Early boarding allows me to get my bag overhead stored ,settle in with the seat back in front of me organized with water ,glasses,reading and work material,charging cables ready . Most important a wipe down of all arm rests ,buttons,tray table ,seat belt latch ,window screen ,etc with disinfectant wipes . Hard to do with others in the row with you . Its the way the flight attendants would do, ask them the #*%@ they have seen done on the tables .I walk before the flight and after rarely use the moving walkways and take the stairs ,stretch before loading ,I don't need to sit at the gate . Ask a flight attendant the %#*@ they have seen done on the tray tables and seats :oops: LOL

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:23 am

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm
staythecourse wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:01 pm
9liner wrote:

Do you have kids or elderly/ frail or disabled? I would think these are all legitimate reasons for efficiency alone is a reason to let these folks go first. I have kids and have noticed less, less times the announcements for families with young kids gets called. Doesn't matter to me, but can see the frustration on everyone's face behind my son as he wants to look out of every window and touch every seat as he is looking for his or the time he tried going into cockpit to see what's what.

Good luck.
This post wasn’t meant to discourage the normal pre-board allowances offered by most airlines. The individuals whom you mentioned are afforded pre-board privileges for free. I was merely trying to gauge how many folks feel the extra fee to pre-board is worth it. Hence the “value” proposition in my original post.

Personally, regardless of whether you let children/elderly/disabled go first or not, the fact remains that it is an extremely inefficient process. If they truly were after efficiency, the airlines would load the plane back to front based on seat position.
Agreed the whole process is very inefficient. Wondering if it is a security reason or they are just incompetent. My experience with the airline industry is the latter when I have asked for "why do you do that".

I agree paying to get on quicker doesn't make much sense either, but don't' those folks have it as a benefit for having x membership to the airline? There are only so many things companies can do to get you to be a high end member with them and the feeling of superiority that you get to sit there first guess works.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah not sure I get it either. It's beyond me why people want to rush to get onto a plane with tight space. I pack very minimalist now (small Tom Bihn backpack), and prefer not getting on the plane until I have to. I'll be at the bar until I'm required to get on. If I need a larger bag, I check it. Upside of this is that the plane will not leave without you unless they go through the process of getting your bag off the plane. Next two tips that go with this: Always check luggage curbside and leave a decent tip -- you'll never lose a bag. Obviously get Global Entry. Oh, and shoot for an exit aisle, more room.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:32 am

9liner wrote:

Agree, there was only one time we hate checked a bag and no biggy. Usually we board almost last.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:40 am

Jimmie wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 am
mak1277 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am
Many of us "have to" due to the need to travel with tools and other items that TSA will not allow in carry on bags. Since I often need to check a bag for that reason, I don't need to live with tiny bottles of my bathroom items.
Yeah of course. If you have to check a bag anyway, then there's no harm in waiting to board. I personally haven't checked a bag in almost 20 years when traveling for work (I was chastised vehemently on my first ever business trip for making my boss wait in baggage claim for me). So for me it's a priority not to have to gate check.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:45 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 am
They should make everyone remain seated until their row is deplaned. It would make things much calmer and probably move faster.
How can you force someone to remain seated?

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 am

I’m a huge proponent of priority boarding but the people who get up right away are complete idiots. It’s pointless and causes me so much stress. They should make everyone remain seated until their row is deplaned. It would make things much calmer and probably move faster.
"Complete idiot" here. If I'm on the aisle, I'm out of my seat and walking towards the door a split second before the chime comes on. All I have is a bag under my seat, and I don't care to waste time waiting as bigger idiots grab their belongings from overhead at painful leisure.

Noble Knight

Post by Noble Knight » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am

I'd be interested in Priority Unboarding, I'm surprised none of the airlines have tried to capitalize on that.

edudumb

Post by edudumb » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 pm

And hanging out longer in the gate area is usually not much fun either.
I always try to stay in the gate area using as much airport free wifi as I can till they have the final call.

Another stupid reason (other than free wifi) is that I tend to believe that the closer to take-off time, the less chance the crew will give me troubles in case my bag looks/ is too big as a personal item.

MrJones

Post by MrJones » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 am

Several top carriers do it right on international business and first class. They leave you in the lounge until the last minute, where they come and get you to board. At that point, most of economy has already boarded. This minimizes your time on board in favor of the lounge.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:54 am

Noble Knight wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am
I'd be interested in Priority Unboarding, I'm surprised none of the airlines have tried to capitalize on that.
It's impossible to enforce. I have been in several situations where some passengers had tight connections and flight attendants begged other passengers to wait. The plea did not help, people just got up and blocked the aisles.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

edudumb

Post by edudumb » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:56 am

Noble Knight wrote:
Yeah! No one understands the feeling when you're literally 15 min away from missing the next connection while the passengers in the rows in front of you are totally taking their time blocking the aisle.

MrJones

Post by MrJones » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:59 am

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm
If they truly were after efficiency, the airlines would load the plane back to front based on seat position.
I agree with your sentiment, but I was surprised to find out back to front boarding is quite inefficient in practice, as several studies have borne out. WMA (window middle aisle) is faster. Fastest is free for all with no assigned seating, but of course, that latter part doesn't work for most airlines.

Example:
https://jalopnik.com/mythbusters-proves ... 1636981904

NYCPete

Post by NYCPete » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:04 pm

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm
Space for carry-on bags is one benefit, and reduced chance of seat poaching of other passengers who wanted to sit together but couldn’t get seats next to each other...
I don’t think I follow. If you are a ticket holder for a numbered seat, how does one’s seat get poached (outside of double-booking)?
Also, airlines oversell all their flights now, as a standard practice. If you're already on the flight, they'd have to kick you off. If you're not yet on the flight, you could be the one they bump. In the eyes of the airline, the person not yet on the plane is easier to deal with if they need to give them the boot.
To the extent that a fool knows his foolishness, | He may be deemed wise | A fool who considers himself wise | Is indeed a fool. | | Buddha

sophie1

Post by sophie1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:07 pm

I have never paid for Priority boarding, but I've also never had to gate-check a carryon. I definitely am in the camp of "avoid gate-checking like the plague" because I value not having to spend that extra 45-60 minutes getting to the carousel and waiting for the bag to show up. Add another hour if your bag is lost, plus that can really screw up a trip.

My algorithm for Gate-Check Avoidance without priority boarding.

1. Get a window seat (if the airline uses the WILMA system). I only bother to stand in line if I'm in the last boarding group.
2. Use a carryon that fits headfirst into the overhead rather than lengthwise. Some airlines no longer permit larger "carryon" sizes anyway. Briggs-Riley makes one with as much packing space as larger bags. Be careful not to overpack so that the top bulges up.
3. Use the first available overhead bin spot on the way to your seat.
4. I consider stuffing coats and small bags into the overhead bin to be a violation of aircraft etiquette, so I have no qualms about messing with them to create extra space. They effectively function to save overhead space for me :-).

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:12 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:31 am
Yeah not sure I get it either. It's beyond me why people want to rush to get onto a plane with tight space. I pack very minimalist now (small Tom Bihn backpack), and prefer not getting on the plane until I have to. I'll be at the bar until I'm required to get on. If I need a larger bag, I check it. Upside of this is that the plane will not leave without you unless they go through the process of getting your bag off the plane.
For US domestic flights there is no “positive passenger bag match” requirement. Airlines don’t have to remove your checked bag if you no-show.
Next two tips that go with this: Always check luggage curbside and leave a decent tip -- you'll never lose a bag.
Not every airport has curbside bag check. And I very much doubt the curbside luggage check has any impact on your bag making connections or getting stuck somewhere in the bowels of the airport or accidentally getting put on the wrong plane...because the curbside skycap doesn’t actually travel with your bag to its final destination no matter what you tip them ;)

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:54 am
Noble Knight wrote:
It's impossible to enforce. I have been in several situations where some passengers had tight connections and flight attendants begged other passengers to wait. The plea did not help, people just got up and blocked the aisles.

Victoria
That drives me nuts. A very sad perspective on selfishness. I'd offer my upfront seat to someone in the back who needs to connect urgently, but the FAs never go beyond the rather pointless plea.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Noble Knight wrote:
No way to enforce - try to stop people from leaving the aircraft.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:30 pm

SrGrumpy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:54 am
Noble Knight wrote:

Victoria
That drives me nuts. A very sad perspective on selfishness. I'd offer my upfront seat to someone in the back who needs to connect urgently, but the FAs never go beyond the rather pointless plea.
It's a tragedy of the commons,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:33 pm

When visiting family, I have to travel to a smallish airport and love gate checking my bag: no fee for checking it, no dealing with an overhead bin, no waiting at baggage claim and no need for priority boarding. Big win. Unfortunately, in the past two years both United and Frontier (never again!) lost my bag on my return flight (thankfully it wasn't on my initial flight) so I prefer not to check bags if possible.

I will get out of my aisle seat when the bell chimes (to stretch/stand up when deplaning) but would never force my way to the front of the plane until all those in front of me have deplaned.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:48 pm

I must be on more courteous flights. I have been on several where folks waited and let those making/missing tight connections deplane 1st.

I am pre-boarded because I have lots of medical gear and airlines and I like me to get settled before the rush. I’m always at a window so I don’t trap or trip anyone with my gear and H is the middle seat beside me.

Noble Knight

Post by Noble Knight » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Noble Knight wrote:
It's usually as soon as the seat belt sign is off people jump out of their seats, the plane could leave the sign on and let people unboard.

Ron

Post by Ron » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:54 pm

Noble Knight wrote:
Fly business/first; you will get out of the plane before steerage class. Of course, that's part of the price you (or your company) pays for the privilege.

- Ron

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:17 pm

Noble Knight wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:53 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Noble Knight wrote:
It's usually as soon as the seat belt sign is off people jump out of their seats, the plane could leave the sign on and let people unboard.
As soon as first group is called - everyone would still get up. And unlike with boarding/boarding-area there isn't space to deny passage and send folks back to their seats. Passenger seating area (First Class and Priority/Extra-Legroom seats up front) address this to the degree it can be addressed.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Starfish wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 pm
There seem to be a lot of misanthropes among the bogleheads.
Petri dish, human stew... jesus people... Probably leaving in spread out burbs and rural communities with 1h of commute does some damage.
I’ve gotten sick after a flight about 1/4 of the time. Petri dish does seem to describe flying given the recirculated air. I fly infrequently and will pay more for more spacious seating with good overhead bin space.

westie

Post by westie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:26 pm

whenever I have an assigned seat I wait for last call.