Priority boarding - Why?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
9liner

Priority boarding - Why?

Post by 9liner » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Aside from Southwest and those traveling in first class, can somebody please explain what benefit you get from getting on an airplane early?

To me, the less time I spend inside of a cramped, metal Petri dish, the better - even if it means having to gate-check my carryon.

Do any BHs value this “perk”?

Thesaints

Re: Priority boarding - Why?

Post by Thesaints » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:04 pm

If you are in steerage, finding overhead space for your carryon is a huge benefit.

djheini

Post by djheini » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:05 pm

Some people would rather settle into their seat earlier rather than wait in the often chaotic gate area. But I think the most common reason is to get first dibs on the overhead carry on space.

gs2offroad

Post by gs2offroad » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:18 pm

for me it’s a perk to be the last person boarding. free baggage check and minimize time in the human stew. :sharebeer

bowest

Post by bowest » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm

No personal or professional achievement to date yet matches the buzz I get boarding a plane ahead of others in group 1 or walking on past the saps in 2 and 3 (half joking). 8-) :D Condolences to the poor souls in 4 and 5.

Avoiding gate check and getting the space above my seat for the carry on is pretty cool as well.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:25 pm

Early access to the overhead space is an obvious advantage. There are others:
- if the plane if greatly overbooked, you have a greater chance to stay in and not have to move to a worse seat
- if there is a mix up with the seat assignment, the person who boards earlier has a greater chance to keep it
- it's easier to sit in the plane than to stand in line
- I usually carry a book and start reading it as soon as get to my seat.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:28 pm

So I can take up all the space in the overhead, of course. :twisted:

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:39 pm

This is actually a good question. When I fly, I only take wish me a bag that can fit under the seat in front of me, so I guess I have no reason to get on early. I don't tend to rush anyways and if I'm in group 3, I usually don't hand my ticket over until group 5 is nearly done boarding.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:45 pm

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:02 pm
Aside from Southwest and those traveling in first class, can somebody please explain what benefit you get from getting on an airplane early?

To me, the less time I spend inside of a cramped, metal Petri dish, the better - even if it means having to gate-check my carryon.

Yes. When I’ve had to board late (usually due to late inbound flight), I’ve had my small carry on bag taken away and then misplaced by the airline for 1-4 days. When you’re away from home, that’s not a minor hassle when your only change of clothes and medicine is now in a cargo hold continuing on to the wrong destination, or cycling around a random baggage claim in a different city, hoping that an airline employee moves it before a random person does.

On a positive note, I’ve always eventually received bags misplaced during a trip, although almost always after I’ve returned home.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:57 pm

The entire reason is to guarantee space for the carry-on bag.

I travel with camera equipment that I do not want out of my hands. I pack essential clothing around it so I can manage if my checked bag is lost.

(Actually I try very hard to avoid having a checked bag anyway because of the long wait at bag claim.)

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:00 pm

As others have stated it is for the overhead storage space. I travel hand carry only and the one bag I carry actually will fit under the seat in front of me worst case but I prefer to have the space for my feet so I value the overhead space for my bag.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:06 pm

Last to board on Southwest are the poor souls that get stuck in a middle seat.
Funding secured

Topic Author
9liner

Post by 9liner » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:06 pm
Which is why I excluded Southwest in my original post.

Looks like the consensus is overhead storage. I’ve gate checked my carry-on numerous times and always had a positive experience. I don’t have to fight with the overhead bin, and my bags are always waiting for me as soon as I deplane.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:13 pm

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 pm
DanMahowny wrote:
Sorry man, I misread your post.
Funding secured

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:17 pm

9liner wrote:
Looks like the consensus is overhead storage. I’ve gate checked my carry-on numerous times and always had a positive experience. I don’t have to fight with the overhead bin, and my bags are always waiting for me as soon as I deplane.
Unless it’s valet checking of bags too large for a regional aircraft’s tiny overhead bins (in which case they are returned on a cart next to the aircraft or in the jetway), gate-checked bags generally get checked to the final destination and end up on the same carousel as other checked bags. That could be quick on some airlines (AS promises 20 mins) or not...

Space for carry-on bags is one benefit, and reduced chance of seat poaching of other passengers who wanted to sit together but couldn’t get seats next to each other...

And hanging out longer in the gate area is usually not much fun either.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:23 pm

Just get back from trip to Europe and there was a long ling at the gate to board and the plane wasn't even at the terminal. Once a few people start a line, the herd follows.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:25 pm

the other item is butt-in-the-seat when there is a dupe. Not as common nowadays, but computers screw up every so often and double assign a seat. Possession is 90% of ownership. The second person to show for that same seat has to walk.. Sometimes it works out for him/her as the plane attendant will upgrade them if their is room.

sergio

Post by sergio » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 pm

If I only have my backpack to carry on board (which can go under the seat) I try to be the LAST person on board. Otherwise, what everyone else said - finding space for my carry on ASAP.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:29 pm

It's the overhead space. In newer aircraft, they have bigger overhead bins, so it isn't so much of an issue. On international routes, the airline is more likely to weight your carry on or legitimately restrict carry ons. On domestic routes, they seem to let everyone put the biggest suitcase and roller bag possible into the overhead, causing issues. If I don't think overhead space will be a problem, then I don't care.

Topic Author
9liner

Post by 9liner » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Space for carry-on bags is one benefit, and reduced chance of seat poaching of other passengers who wanted to sit together but couldn’t get seats next to each other...
I don’t think I follow. If you are a ticket holder for a numbered seat, how does one’s seat get poached (outside of double-booking)?

sergio

Post by sergio » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:33 pm

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm
I don’t think I follow. If you are a ticket holder for a numbered seat, how does one’s seat get poached (outside of double-booking)?
You are assigned seat 24B. Jose is assigned seat 24C and his buddy Humberto is assigned seat 67F. Upon arriving at your seat, you see Jose in 24C and Humberto in 24B (your seat). Some people would be guilted into switching to Humberto's crappy middle seat in the back of the plane since the two are already sitting together, illegitimately. Others would tell Humberto to GTFO. Getting on the plane ASAP prevents this situation from happening in the first place.
Last edited by sergio on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:34 pm

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm
"Please, Sir. My daughter is flying for the first time and she is 2-weeks pregnant. She needs help her with her medications"

I agree though. Whenever I'm flying with no carryon I wait for the last boarding call in the lounge.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:42 pm

You think people would have figured it out by now. The airline will check your bag for free, once you get to the gate. Just hand them your bag, pick it up when you arrive. It amazes me what people will do to save a few minutes out of their day. People run to line up and board like animals. Its actually fascinating if you think about it. We're all so primal...those genes are hard coded in our dna. A survival tick I would say.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:46 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:42 pm
You think people would have figured it out by now. The airline will check your bag for free, once you get to the gate. Just hand them your bag, pick it up when you arrive. It amazes me what people will do to save a few minutes out of their day. People run to line up and board like animals. Its actually fascinating if you think about it. We're all so primal...those genes are hard coded in our dna. A survival tick I would say.
Some people have connecting flights...

Topic Author
9liner

Post by 9liner » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:47 pm

ponyboy wrote:
THIS!! I’ve seen some posts regarding how untenable the gate area can be. Of course it is if you’re waiting in line being herded like cattle. It’s fun to just sit back in my chair and watch the circus. Where’s the rush? We’re all going to arrive at the same time.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm

Thesaints wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:46 pm
ponyboy wrote:
Some people have connecting flights...
I havent flown in 8 years where I didnt have a connecting flight. Your luggage will make it to its final destination when its checked at the gate. Sounds like you werent aware of that. And its free.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:54 pm

9liner wrote:

Remember that you carry thousands of dollars worth of fragile, and essential-to-your-trip, equipment in that carry-on that you're so eager to gate check. Also remember that not all gate-checked baggage can be claimed when you deplane - sometimes it will be directed through the usual baggage channel to the carousels at your final destination, meaning it has to navigate connecting flights. So even if you have that Pelican carry-on bag, if it's delayed or lost (or stolen, since it looks valuable), your trip may be largely ruined. And remember that you paid extra for a less convenient flight to avoid that regional jet that wouldn't accommodate your carry-on in its overhead bins. So a little extra for priority boarding is not that much of a consideration in the overall picture.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:00 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm
I havent flown in 8 years where I didnt have a connecting flight. Your luggage will make it to its final destination when its checked at the gate. Sounds like you werent aware of that. And its free.
Thank you. I never had to gate check. Do they interline ?
Last edited by Thesaints on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:01 pm

9liner wrote:

Do you have kids or elderly/ frail or disabled? I would think these are all legitimate reasons for efficiency alone is a reason to let these folks go first. I have kids and have noticed less, less times the announcements for families with young kids gets called. Doesn't matter to me, but can see the frustration on everyone's face behind my son as he wants to look out of every window and touch every seat as he is looking for his or the time he tried going into cockpit to see what's what.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:12 pm

9liner wrote:
DanMahowny wrote:

I like your airport. The last time I had to fly into PHL (Philly) I was waiting approx. 30 minutes for my checked bag. Other travelers must have known about these baggage delays as there were only a small handful waiting at the carousel.

Topic Author
9liner

Post by 9liner » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:01 pm
9liner wrote:

Do you have kids or elderly/ frail or disabled? I would think these are all legitimate reasons for efficiency alone is a reason to let these folks go first. I have kids and have noticed less, less times the announcements for families with young kids gets called. Doesn't matter to me, but can see the frustration on everyone's face behind my son as he wants to look out of every window and touch every seat as he is looking for his or the time he tried going into cockpit to see what's what.

Good luck.
This post wasn’t meant to discourage the normal pre-board allowances offered by most airlines. The individuals whom you mentioned are afforded pre-board privileges for free. I was merely trying to gauge how many folks feel the extra fee to pre-board is worth it. Hence the “value” proposition in my original post.

Personally, regardless of whether you let children/elderly/disabled go first or not, the fact remains that it is an extremely inefficient process. If they truly were after efficiency, the airlines would load the plane back to front based on seat position.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 pm

I always check my bag. No priority boarding issues for me. I don't care about overhead availability. I just don't want those blue gloved TSA agents going thru my stuff. Those gloves touch a lot of clean/dirty clothes and a lot of other stuff during their shift. I just don't want those gloves touching my stuff. Realizing that TSA do some searches of checked bags, I'll take my chances with a checked bag. The fee for a checked bag is well worth it.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:21 pm

There seem to be a lot of misanthropes among the bogleheads.
Petri dish, human stew... jesus people... Probably leaving in spread out burbs and rural communities with 1h of commute does some damage.

sf_tech_saver

Post by sf_tech_saver » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:25 pm

9liner wrote:

On United if you spend over 60k a year on tickets they will make you "Global Services" which allows you to board very first before even group 1. I've had this for a few years with them and the #1 benefit for me is that you don't have to waddle behind people slowly onto the plane. You stroll breezily down the jetway to your seat and then they bring you whatever you want to drink when you sit down.

All that said sometimes I still like to board later, esp if I've checked a bag. The last person on also seems to enjoy a similar quick stroll down the jetway :)
VTI is a modern marvel

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm

I do the opposite. If I am not in business or first I wait to be one of the last people to board. I see no reason to get on early unless someone is pouring me a Bloody Mary or a glass of wine.

I usually giggle inside at all the people standing in line to get on the plane earlier just to be crammed up with everyone else. I also giggle at everyone who stands up as soon as the plan stops even if the door is not open. I just don't understand the rush. You can't get off the plane until they open the doors. Why stand crammed up with other people trying to squeeze their carryons in between. So silly.

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:34 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm
I do the opposite. If I am not in business or first I wait to be one of the last people to board. I see no reason to get on early unless someone is pouring me a Bloody Mary or a glass of wine.
+1.

I see no benefit to getting on early, I wait to get on last. The less time on the plane the better IMO. It's funny to me some perks of credit cards are priority boarding. That is an anti-perk to me!

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:52 pm

25% of the benefit is to get priority access to overhead bin (although unless you are one of the last people, this rarely seems to make a difference). 15% is having to spend less times standing in line, which I guess is stressful. 60% is because standing first in a line makes you obviously more important and superior to the other, non prioritized people.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:59 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Best seat on the plane!

I pick the most forward row that has two good looking, skinny young ladies sitting in the aisle and window seats. :D

When the plane is full, you have limited choices anyway.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:03 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:23 pm
Just get back from trip to Europe and there was a long ling at the gate to board and the plane wasn't even at the terminal. Once a few people start a line, the herd follows.
a.k.a. "gate lice" in frequent-flyer parlance.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:09 pm

ohai wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:52 pm

60% is because standing first in a line makes you obviously more important and superior to the other, non prioritized people.
Well said. We do like our hierarchies.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:08 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:49 pm
Maybe it will. Maybe it won’t. If I don’t care, I check my bag at the checkin counter and don’t schlepp it all over the airport first (I get a free checked bag (or two) on pretty much all major airlines). But on many trips it either really matters that it arrives with me and not a day or two later, or it simply contains fragile/valuable items.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:31 pm

I routinely get a window seat and it is just easier to get on earlier and not have everyone get up after I have jammed my suitcase in on top of someone's coat in the overhead. I also enjoy a good immune system so the petri dish aspects of public places do not bother me.

drk

Post by drk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Overhead space is the primary reason, but I also prefer sitting in a plane seat for ten minutes to standing at the gate and hustling past a couple hundred strangers to get to my seat.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:39 pm

I try to fly southwest. When I can't, I take my time. I'm not a cow and don't want to be treated like one.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:47 am

drk wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:35 pm
Overhead space is the primary reason, but I also prefer sitting in a plane seat for ten minutes to standing at the gate and hustling past a couple hundred strangers to get to my seat.
What about sitting patiently next to the gate in a much larger roomier seat with no one around you? Then once everyone has boarded you gently stroll in and take your seat.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:54 am

Aside from (often) scarce overhead bin space, I feel anxious when sitting at the gate while boarding is underway. I feel more relaxed and settled once I reach my seat and stow my bag.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:15 am

9liner wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:47 pm
ponyboy wrote:
THIS!! I’ve seen some posts regarding how untenable the gate area can be. Of course it is if you’re waiting in line being herded like cattle. It’s fun to just sit back in my chair and watch the circus. Where’s the rush? We’re all going to arrive at the same time.
This is the exact reason why priority boarding is great. No need to rush to the gate, I can calmly walk to the priority line and avoid the chaotic rush of nut jobs trying to be the first in their zone to get in line.

I used to travel on a weekly basis for work, sometimes 3 cities in one week. Priority boarding lets me get on the plane with no fuss. I get on the plane sit down and get 20 minutes of work done while people without Priority boarding are standing in the aisle unable to be productive. If I’m on 4 flights a week which was fairly common for me, that’s 1.3 hours per week more productivity for me multiplied by my $300/hr rate which means id have made $400/week less without priority boarding. That’s a lot of money.

On top of that, without priority boarding I’d have to hope there’s still cabin space otherwise my bag would be checked. That would mean additional time spent at baggage claim and again eating into my productivity.

Aside from the very obvious financial issues, when you travel that much it’s simply nice to walk on the plane before everyone sit down and not have to get stuck behind a line of people who can’t figure out where the seat is or how to get their bags in the overhead. The boarding process for priority boarding is far more calm and civilized. Reducing stresses in any possible way goes a long way in maintaining sanity when you are traveling on a regular basis.

Oh, and the priority boarding was free for me, it’s not like I had to pay for it. Flying regularly, I got airline status which provided priority boarding as a perk.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:26 pm
I usually giggle inside at all the people standing in line to get on the plane earlier just to be crammed up with everyone else. I also giggle at everyone who stands up as soon as the plan stops even if the door is not open. I just don't understand the rush. You can't get off the plane until they open the doors. Why stand crammed up with other people trying to squeeze their carryons in between. So silly.
+1

I’m a huge proponent of priority boarding but the people who get up right away are complete idiots. It’s pointless and causes me so much stress.

They should make everyone remain seated until their row is deplaned. It would make things much calmer and probably move faster.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 am

munemaker wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:54 am
Aside from (often) scarce overhead bin space, I feel anxious when sitting at the gate while boarding is underway. I feel more relaxed and settled once I reach my seat and stow my bag.
+1. Me too. There's something about that chaotic setting that triggers the flight or fight response in me. I literally have to start yogic breathing when I'm sitting there.

PinotGris

Post by PinotGris » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:55 am

I wish they would do away entirely with carry on luggage and give every one free bag check. It is a mess with both boarding and off-boarding taking enormous amount of time and the bags can be dangerous when they are humongous and heavy.