How often do you and your friends change engine oil?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OldBallCoach

Re: How often do you and your friends change engine oil?

Post by OldBallCoach » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:46 am

Toyota does it every 10K on my Landcruiser...they come get it, do whatever it needs every 10K and I have gotten over 300K on everyone of my LCs..I also have them detail my car every 10K, costs a few bucks but you would be surprised how much nicer your car or truck will seem long term. I use the oil the dealership suggests...Mobil One is what they say they use..
Last edited by OldBallCoach on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:48 am

Some of my friends do their own oil changes.

One guy goes 3 miles down the road to the best oil change outfit I've ever seen. It's all they do. He pulls up, hands them the key (he's in the computer) and walks 100 feet across the parking lot to a small family-owned Italian restaurant and has lunch. The car is ready before he finishes and the oil change includes a free car wash that's good for one month (if you don't have time or if it's raining, etc.)

Some of those 20,000 folks the OP mentioned probably get their oil changed at the dealer because it's free. Our two Toyotas came with free oil changes at 10,000 and 20,000 miles from any Toyota dealer and free oil changes at 30,000 and 40,000 from our dealer.

I have ramps, a floor jack, jack stands, an engine hoist, and air tools and all that junk, but free is free. I do the oil changes on both riding mowers, the push mower, and my outboard.

student

Post by student » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:50 am

Following the user manual, for me, it is every 5000 miles.

harrington

Post by harrington » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:15 am

I follow whatever is in the owners manual. I have a 2012 Fiat that calls for 8,000 miles and a new Jeep Wrangler which is 7,500 miles. We have a local large dealership that charges $15 for regular and $25 for synthetic any make and model. Ironically my Fiat has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I've got over 120,000 trouble free miles.

mancich

Post by mancich » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:24 am

I follow the owner's manual on the mileage, and use synthetic.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 am

5,000 miles on daily drivers; annually on project car. Synthetic is cheap enough that I see no point in using conventional.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 am

CurlyDave wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 am
I am amazed at how many people are willing to believe that the "Quick Oil Change Place" actually puts synthetic oil in their car when they pay for it. Can you tell the difference between synthetic and ordinary oil when you look at the dipstick? When was the last time you actually looked at the oil on your car's dipstick?

The places I have gone to pump the oil out of 55 gallon drums and into the car through a hose. Synthetic looks and feels exactly the same as ordinary oil, but costs twice as much. How big is the temptation to just pump the cheap stuff into a car and save the extra $ ?
The few times I've been at a quick lube place getting synthetic (either myself or with a friend), they took sealed 1 qt bottles off the shelf and poured them in them one at a time. This was easy to see through the giant picture window in the waiting room. The bulk oil was all dispensed from hoses hanging from the ceiling. So yes, I could VERY easily tell the difference.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 am

5,000 miles. The oil isn't completely worn out, but it is a good interval to have overall preventative service performed.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:32 am

lazydavid wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 am
CurlyDave wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 am
I am amazed at how many people are willing to believe that the "Quick Oil Change Place" actually puts synthetic oil in their car when they pay for it. Can you tell the difference between synthetic and ordinary oil when you look at the dipstick? When was the last time you actually looked at the oil on your car's dipstick?

The places I have gone to pump the oil out of 55 gallon drums and into the car through a hose. Synthetic looks and feels exactly the same as ordinary oil, but costs twice as much. How big is the temptation to just pump the cheap stuff into a car and save the extra $ ?
The few times I've been at a quick lube place getting synthetic (either myself or with a friend), they took sealed 1 qt bottles off the shelf and poured them in them one at a time. This was easy to see through the giant picture window in the waiting room. The bulk oil was all dispensed from hoses hanging from the ceiling. So yes, I could VERY easily tell the difference.
This has been my experience as well.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am

There are probably two factors to your observation:
1) Yes - with synthetic oil you don't need to change as frequently. 3000-5000 has become 7500-10000 as a new norm.
2) A lot of people don't trust Jiffy Lube to touch their cars. They are cheap but hire cheap inexperienced labor (at least in my area) and also are vultures trying to upsell on lots of unnecessary items (always recommend air filter changing even if clean; etc.).

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:57 am

Every 5000 to 5500 miles
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:00 am

About 8-10,000 miles with synthetic oil. Generally, pay little attention to the time limit, so it can be eight months or longer. Last vehicle has 160,000+ miles, is 14 years old and running fine.

Tim

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:02 am

Once every 5,000 miles or so. So about once every 6-7 months, based on my usage. I would change it myself, but I don't have the time, so I bring it in and have it done.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am

depressed wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm
I take it to the Valvoline place because my ASE Master Mechanic relative told me he'd never touch any car I own if I ever put Quaker State or any brand other than Valvoline in it.
Everyone has to believe in something I guess.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 pm
miamivice wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 pm
with the invention of synthetic oil?
Just to make sure I'm understanding what "synthetic oil" isn't, it isn't "fake oil" created in a lab out of beet juice or watered down Campbell's soup. It is oil that is pumped out of the ground and then highly processed so that its molecules are very uniform in size. Non-synthetic oil is composed of molecules of unregulated sizes.

Do I have that right?
There is a brand of synthetic oil that states it's produced from natural gas, which is methane. Methane is the smallest and simplest hydrocarbon there is so that oil would indeed have to be synthetized.

zubinh

Post by zubinh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:40 am

For those of you that change your own oil so that you "don't waste time at the shop", where do you dispose of the used oil? Don't you have to take it to a shop anyway to dispose of it?

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:42 am

zubinh wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:40 am
For those of you that change your own oil so that you "don't waste time at the shop", where do you dispose of the used oil? Don't you have to take it to a shop anyway to dispose of it?
Here the county recycling program provides 2.5 gallon containers and empties them when left at the curb on trash/recycle day. They then burn it at the local power plant.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 am

zubinh wrote:
Depends on your state. In my state, any place that sells oil is required to recycle oil (although a few seem to dodge that). I have a very convenient auto parts store a few blocks from the grocery store we go to. When my jug is full, I stop there, walk into their back room, pour the oil into the tank, and leave. They smile, say hi, I say "just recycling oil" and they nod.

With my Fumoto valve, it couldn't be easier. With our mileage, I only have to change it once a year on my truck. On our new Fusion Energi, it's once every 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

zubinh

Post by zubinh » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:54 am

Gotcha. Thanks. Here in NY its not that easy. I would have to drive with a pail full of oil to a gas station a mile away. Not worth ruining the interior of my car to save some bucks.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:55 am

zubinh wrote:
We are in NY as well - we drop it off at a local convenient recycle center run by the town.
The old oil goes back into the 5 gallon pails that I purchase.
In some cases where I get 32 gallon drums they pick up the old oil when they deliver the drum.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 am
zubinh wrote:
Depends on your state. In my state, any place that sells oil is required to recycle oil (although a few seem to dodge that). I have a very convenient auto parts store a few blocks from the grocery store we go to. When my jug is full, I stop there, walk into their back room, pour the oil into the tank, and leave. They smile, say hi, I say "just recycling oil" and they nod.

With my Fumoto valve, it couldn't be easier. With our mileage, I only have to change it once a year on my truck. On our new Fusion Energi, it's once every 2 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.
The only way it might be easier is if you don't even need to get under the car, which is what I do when I use my Mityvac. :D

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 am

I can't speak for my friends, as I don't have any of those, but I just top off the oil whenever it's a quart low. 177k miles on current car, no oil related issues yet.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:03 am

123 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 pm
Our Toyota is nearing 100K miles . Currently drive only 5.000 - 6,000 miles a year. We use regular oil but only change it once a year, sometimes even that seems like a waste.
I put about 5000 miles a year on my car. My Honda's owner's manual says I should change the oil (synthetic blend) when the maintenance computer says to, which it has never done. I ignore that and take my car in to the dealer once a year for an oil change. While there I get a free inspection of the other car components and a mediocre car wash. Sometimes they suggest I change the cabin air filter or some other thing I can easily do myself which I decline and do myself.

Next year will be time to change the timing belt so I imagine that will get them all excited.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 am

jadedfalcons wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 am
I can't speak for my friends, as I don't have any of those, but I just top off the oil whenever it's a quart low. 177k miles on current car, no oil related issues yet.
177k with never an oil change is impressive! Years ago the CEO of the place I worked had a 944 turbo, which was super-car territory at the time. He never changed the oil and sold it to an unlucky engineer when it had 70k or so miles. After a complete engine rebuild it was a nice car.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 am

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 am
The only way it might be easier is if you don't even need to get under the car, which is what I do when I use my Mityvac. :D
Yup, oil extractors are a game changer. I can change the oil and filter in all 3 of our cars without a jack, and I only need a catch bucket (plastic beer pitcher from a festival) for one of the three filters.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:35 am

We change oil every six months, or sometimes a bit longer. The mileage is very low between changes, maybe 4000-5000 miles.

The place we go uses a synthetic blend, works for us. The shop is primarily a tire shop, and we buy tires there, so during an oil change they do a tire rotation. I put fleet/commercial tires on my van, and they have been reasonable thus far.

Usually we get a coupon for a reduced price, so it can run as high as $35, or as low as $20. And, sometimes they recommend other services, sometimes I let them do additional services, sometimes not. So far they haven't lost their minds by offering something done for an outrageous price, so until they do I'll gladly let them do things here and there as I need them done. I trust them more than the dealers.

Once upon a time long ago I was willing to crawl underneath our cars and change oil; I also did brake jobs, tuned them up, changed antifreeze, etc., but I stopped all that when I had money enough to pay somebody else.

I probably would have continued if I had had a nice place to do these things, as I really didn't mind the jobs. I just hated the aggravation of doing them in my driveway, as our first two homes didn't have garages.

I certainly agree many repairs on cars can be DIY, and can offer substantial savings of money. YouTube probably has a video on most every DIY service for a wide variety or cars. I had to use the Chiltons manuals. Those were the days.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

retired_tom

Post by retired_tom » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:46 am

I change mine when the "Change Engine Oil Soon" message appears on the screen.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 am

retired_tom wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:46 am
That's fine except for those who drive very few miles, where the manufacturer says "change at xxx miles, or annually, whichever comes first". You know those idiot lights (messages) are not programmed for the "or annually" option.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:56 am

We change oil every 5k (synthetic) and have the same Subaru shop who does all the other maintenance do the work. Technically our driving meets severe service (3750 per manual) but with synthetic 5k is 'good enough'.

If this were not such an obvious severe service case I would follow the manual and do 7500 miles.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Ged wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:03 am
123 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 pm
Our Toyota is nearing 100K miles . Currently drive only 5.000 - 6,000 miles a year. We use regular oil but only change it once a year, sometimes even that seems like a waste.
I put about 5000 miles a year on my car. My Honda's owner's manual says I should change the oil (synthetic blend) when the maintenance computer says to, which it has never done. I ignore that and take my car in to the dealer once a year for an oil change. While there I get a free inspection of the other car components and a mediocre car wash. Sometimes they suggest I change the cabin air filter or some other thing I can easily do myself which I decline and do myself.

Next year will be time to change the timing belt so I imagine that will get them all excited.
It has never told you because your every 5,000 mile change at the dealer is getting it reset, and then it doesn't trip again the next year...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:18 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 am
retired_tom wrote:
That's fine except for those who drive very few miles, where the manufacturer says "change at xxx miles, or annually, whichever comes first". You know those idiot lights (messages) are not programmed for the "or annually" option.
+1. I fear some people don't realize that those warning lights appear at pre-set intervals. Your car is not actually monitoring the state of your oil and recommending an oil change when your oil quality or quantity crosses any sort of threshold, etc. In very new cars, you can at least alter the pre-set intervals to follow, for example, the severe schedule, but in older cars you can't even do that and need to follow the severe schedule yourself, rather than wait for the light.

Edited to add: Just as an aside, I wish they would do away with the severe schedule. "Severe" is usually defined so broadly that almost everyone should be following it. Thus, it should be the "normal" schedule.
Last edited by Rupert on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:18 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:51 am
retired_tom wrote:
Ford's is. 10,000 or one year or when the algorithm says it needs it, whichever comes first. My F-150 always trips 2 weeks before 1 year, giving me my warning.
Rupert wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:18 pm
+1. I fear some people don't realize that those warning lights appear at pre-set intervals. Your car is not actually monitoring the state of your oil and recommending an oil change when your oil quality or quantity crosses any sort of threshold, etc. In very new cars, you can at least alter the pre-set intervals to follow, for example, the severe schedule, but in older cars you can't even do that and need to follow the severe schedule yourself, rather than wait for the light.
Ford's is using an algorithm that takes into account many things, including when you tow, temperatures, etc. While it doesn't actually monitor the oil quality, it is quite sophisticated. I've never seen an oil analysis posted that showed that 10,000 miles wasn't soon enough, except when a gas dilution problem existed.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:34 pm

The definition of synthetic is complicated. Back in the beginning when Mobile 1 was first championing synthetic, they synthesized the oil from refined precursor chemicals (including methane). This is a "top down" approach, and undeniably "synthetic". In the last couple decades, oil refining technology has improved, and companies were able to obtain a practically identical result using so-called "group III" base oils using a "bottom up" approach. Since this oil was equivalent to synthetic, they started labeling it as synthetic. I believe there were some lawsuits. The courts decided for better or worse that it was acceptable to sell the highly refined oils as "synthetic" since it was impossible to tell the final results apart. Another factor is that the latest oil specs (SN) are so stringent that any SN-rated oil is vastly better than oils of decades ago, in other words, the lowest common denominator is very high now, so it's questionable what benefits "synthetic" gives. Most new cars specify any SN rated oil. Very rarely will they spec "synthetic" oil. Occasionally they will recommend or specify a specific oil such as Mobil 1. There are actually some laws about this since it used to be a common racket to deny warranty claims if all maintenance was not done at the dealership; now they cannot do that as long as the customer used oil of the correct spec, so companies won't spec something as uncertain as "synthetic". Sometimes they will spec SN but "recommend" a specific oil.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:51 pm

Well our brand new Prius is due back at dealer in May for the “free” 5000 mile oil change. Not sure whether we will have driven a full 5000 miles by then but may be a bit short or over. They provide oil changes for first 2 years.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm

HIinvestor wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:51 pm
Well our brand new Prius is due back at dealer in May for the “free” 5000 mile oil change. Not sure whether we will have driven a full 5000 miles by then but may be a bit short or over. They provide oil changes for first 2 years.
While I don't know the specifics of your Prius, I think all new Toyota vehicles use synthetic oil and are on a 10k mile frequency. Why change oil twice as often as required, unless you simply want the dealer to handle your new Prius twice as often?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:05 pm

The owner’s manual for my 2005 car says every year or 8,000 miles. So that’s what I do.

I used to take it to the oil change place, but my regular mechanic does it cheaper, and doesn’t try to upsell things I don’t need.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:23 pm

Since it's a relevant question being asked multiple times:

Synthetic vs. conventional isn't strictly defined, although it would be fair to characterize synthetic oils as providing better performance and being longer lasting.

The American Petroleum Institute (API) isn't interested directly in whether or not the oil is synthesized or simply refined, but the properties of the oil. They define 5 groups of base oils. With some overlap, higher numbers roughly indicate higher quality oils. Base oil groups are not directly advertised, though, so this is information that helps you understand some of the general differences in oils, not to help you choose which brand to buy.

Starting with those base oils, the motor oil manufacturers also add viscosity index improvers to help get the desired multi-weight properties, detergents to control contaminants and sludge, and who knows what else to improve the life and general performance. These additives can also have a significant effect on overall quality.

The short overview of the groups:

Group 1 - Made from petroleum with a basic level of refinement. Moderate tolerances for contaminants and viscosity. Significant potential variation in molecular weight and other properties. Not generally used in modern cars.

Group 2 - Increased level of refinement and chemical treatment to improve longevity and provide more consistent molecular weight for better control of viscosity at varying temperatures. My understanding is most "conventional" oils come from Group 2 base oils

Group 3 - Still made from petroleum, but with additional chemical treatment primarily affecting the viscosity index. Although these are made from petroleum, Castrol was able to win a lawsuit by Mobil seeking to prevent Castrol from advertising them as "synthetic" due to the amount of chemical alteration involved, and similarity of their properties to Group 4 oils

Group 4 - Clearly synthetic, as these are not refined from petroleum at all. Typically, ethane is extracted from natural gas, and a controlled chemical process is used to produce an oil of the appropriate molecular weights, with high purity, very consistent lubrication properties, and very good chemical stability.

Group 5 - Anything else, and generally not relevant to motor oils, except perhaps some highly specialized products.

There are also semi-synthetic or synthetic blends, which as the name suggests, will be some mix of Groups 2, 3, and/or 4, with intermediate properties.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm

+1 for Blackstone Lab analysis. Most people change their oil way more often than they need to.

Also, if you really want to geek out on oil, check out www.bobistheoilguy.com

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:10 pm

I always have the feeling that I change oil too frequently as I have read about the tests done on extra long oil change intervals in fleets, like taxi cabs.

But, in the grand scheme of things the cost of oil changes are not a major expense. So I still change at a reasonable interval.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:12 pm

DanEmmy wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm
+1 for Blackstone Lab analysis. Most people change their oil way more often than they need to.

Also, if you really want to geek out on oil, check out www.bobistheoilguy.com
I never did get too much value from Blackstone.
Bobistheoilguy was a good site until he sold it to folks who push products and advertising - I have not relied on them being 'independent' for maybe 10 years now.

wandering_aimlessly

Post by wandering_aimlessly » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Change???? Oil???

What would I possibly change it into?

I think everyone else has covered every possible frequency and it has been a long day....

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:21 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm
HIinvestor wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:51 pm
While I don't know the specifics of your Prius, I think all new Toyota vehicles use synthetic oil and are on a 10k mile frequency. Why change oil twice as often as required, unless you simply want the dealer to handle your new Prius twice as often?
It's not a oil change at the first 5000... it's a service check. The first oil change comes at 10K. Toyotacare does checkups every 5K for the first 2 years or 25K miles, whichever comes first

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm

wandering_aimlessly wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:18 pm
Change???? Oil???

What would I possibly change it into?

I think everyone else has covered every possible frequency and it has been a long day....
Well then you need to quit wandering aimlessly, and plot a course! :D

Broken Man 1999

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm

The owners manual says 3 months/3000 miles so that's what I do. Probably too often but Subaru is smarter than me when it comes to these things.

SemperFi79

Post by SemperFi79 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:39 pm

We change our own every 3,000 with Shell Rotella. My 2003 4Runner has 285,000 and runs perfect.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:44 pm

FRANK2009 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm
The owners manual says 3 months/3000 miles so that's what I do. Probably too often but Subaru is smarter than me when it comes to these things.
That is not what the manual says.

Subaru calls for a break-in oil change at 3,000 miles (from brand new) in all models up through 2012, and then another two years (2014) for just the 3.6L H6 engine. All other oil changes occur in 7,500 mile increments (starting at 7,500 total miles even if changed at 3,000), and starting in 2013 for most models (2015 for the H6) the first oil change goes to 7,500 also.
Last edited by lazydavid on Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:45 pm

miamivice wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 pm
I live in a commuter town of about 40,000 people. We have 2 quick lube places in town, neither which seem very busy.

If there are 20,000 cars in our town (reasonable estimate), and oil is changed 4 times per year (every 3 months), that would mean that 80,000 oil changes are done each year, or nearly 7000. Definitely, the two oil change places do not change 7500 cars worth each month per station.

Folks in my town do not change their own oil (I do, but it is a rarity). Some might take their cars to other towns, but again, that's probably common.

I am wondering - are oil changes still popular, or have they faded away with the invention of synthetic oil?

I try to change my oil every 5000 miles, but have to admit it often is a bit higher when I finally get to it.
I follow the user manual recommendations. I use the local dealership to make sure that it is done right.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Blackstone labs analysis is great, but it still costs about as much as an oil change costs, so paying for periodic oil analysis in order to stretch out oil change interval doesn't make economic sense for passenger cars. If you have a fleet of vehicles or if your oil changes cost $200 like semi truck oil changes, then it's worth it.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:45 pm

28fe6 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:53 pm
Blackstone labs analysis is great, but it still costs about as much as an oil change costs, so paying for periodic oil analysis in order to stretch out oil change interval doesn't make economic sense for passenger cars. If you have a fleet of vehicles or if your oil changes cost $200 like semi truck oil changes, then it's worth it.
You don't have to do it every time. When I extended the interval on our old RX350 from 5k to 10k (using a high-quality synthetic), I had the oil analyzed and the conclusion was that everything was in spec, and I should keep using the oil (which I had already replaced). I had the oil tested one more time maybe 5 years later just to confirm, with the same result. In the meantime, I probably skipped eight "scheduled" oil changes.

The operating environment just doesn't change much from year to year.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:46 pm

Every 5k miles. I don't do UOA. Costs about $25 for synthetic oil and filter.

The oil is recycled so no need to lecture me.