How often do you and your friends change engine oil?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

How often do you and your friends change engine oil?

Post by miamivice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 pm

I live in a commuter town of about 40,000 people. We have 2 quick lube places in town, neither which seem very busy.

If there are 20,000 cars in our town (reasonable estimate), and oil is changed 4 times per year (every 3 months), that would mean that 80,000 oil changes are done each year, or nearly 7000. Definitely, the two oil change places do not change 7500 cars worth each month per station.

Folks in my town do not change their own oil (I do, but it is a rarity). Some might take their cars to other towns, but again, that's probably common.

I am wondering - are oil changes still popular, or have they faded away with the invention of synthetic oil?

I try to change my oil every 5000 miles, but have to admit it often is a bit higher when I finally get to it.

RickBoglehead

Re: How often do you and your friends change engine oil?

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 pm

Most vehicles are every 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Our new Fusion Energi is twice those numbers. Ford's IOLM tells you when.

With semi-synthetic or full synthetic, every 5,000 is unnecessary.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

depressed

Post by depressed » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Me and my friends get together about once every three months for our recurring oil-change party. We rotate whose house it's at, and the host always supplies the crude. Oil, that is, black gold, Texas tea.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:32 pm

I change my oil once a year. That works out to be about once every 3,000 miles. I don't drive much.

Post by 123 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Our Toyota is nearing 100K miles . Currently drive only 5.000 - 6,000 miles a year. We use regular oil but only change it once a year, sometimes even that seems like a waste.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 pm

There aren't many cars that need four changes a year, unless you're putting on some serious mileage.

My VW Golf requires full synthetic ($$$ ☹️) but it's a 10k mile interval, so at least I don't have to do it that often. I change it myself and I do it about every 9 months or so based on my driving.

My wife's car is electric, and I'm very excited that the first scheduled maintenance is a coolant flush at two years!

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:38 pm

First, I highly doubt there are 20K cars in a city of 40K people. Second, it would be rare that they would change them 4X a year. I drive 30k miles a year and mine only gets changed 2-3 times. Many oil changes are done at the dealers. Many are done at home. Many are done at tire shops, Walmart, Costco, Farm and Fleet, independent techs, etc.

I go to a quick change place on my lunch time. I can be in and out in 15 minutes. It has 3 bays. That place could do as many as 25K oil changes a year at that rate.

What was the question?

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Once a year for my cars, which is 3000 or so on one and 6000 on the other. Did both last week. Quicker to do it myself than to waste time at a shop.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Every 5k miles. Makes it easy to keep track with 4 cars. I just look at the odometer and look for an even 5k. I've got a lift and 3 of the cars have Fumoto valves, so the change is pretty quick and easy. I always do our cars. I have never had an oil drain plug strip or the transmission fluid mistakenly drained, ruining the transmission like the quick lube places are infamous for doing.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

McGilicutty

Post by McGilicutty » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 pm

Every 10k miles and I use synthetic oil. That's all that's needed according to the owner's manual. You might want to check yours.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Every 5K-6K using Walmart SuperTech Synthetic. I change it myself. $20 with filter and all taxes included. I have been using it for years now in our 2 daily cars...

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:52 pm

depressed wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm
Me and my friends get together about once every three months for our recurring oil-change party. We rotate whose house it's at, and the host always supplies the crude. Oil, that is, black gold, Texas tea.
:sharebeer OMG, this post just made my day!! ROFL.... For anyone unfamiliar with the reference, here ya go. SoAnyway....

OP, to answer your question, I change my oil when the little wrench light shows up in the dashboard. I take it to the Valvoline place because my ASE Master Mechanic relative told me he'd never touch any car I own if I ever put Quaker State or any brand other than Valvoline in it. Back in my younger days I changed my own oil, i.e. back when "The Beverly Hillbillies" was on TV (pre-syndication, pre-Nick at Night). Call it age or "lifestyle creep", but now I pay someone else to do it. ; )

P.S. Depressed, thank you for making my day. And I hope you aren't actually "depressed", in the clinical sense. You've much to offer!! :sharebeer If you are, please seek professional guidance. You'd be amazed at what modern medical and therapeutic solutions can do to reverse clinical depression.
Last edited by SoAnyway on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

MidwestEng

Post by MidwestEng » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 pm

The majority of my co-workers drop their cars off at oil change places near work and use their shuttle service to get to work rather than use oil service places near their home. Other than that I know plenty of people that go years without getting their oil changed (though they probably wouldn't admit it).

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Once a year.

Been doing it that way for 30+ years,and never had a problem up to about 175k miles on a single engine. Which is the longest I've ever kept a car.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Oil is probably changed closer to twice a year. Usually works out to be 6 or 7 thousand miles for me.

Also, a good number of people in your town also change their own oil.

JT

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Back in the late 80s when I was working in Cambridge, MA, I took a class from Click & Clack, the Tappet Brothers. You know, the guys who did the call-in show on NPR. The key piece of advice was "Change your oil every 3 months or 3000 miles and your car will last forever."

Of course, that was then. This is now. Although I followed their advice for many years. With my latest car I get the oil changed no more than 2x year.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:11 pm

The only answer that matters is in the car owners manual.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 pm

I follow the owners manual which usually works out to about twice a year.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:21 pm

I change it about 7000. Although I'm not anal like some are and change it right in the exact mileage. Last time I changed it I was about 1000 miles late, but who cares .

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:26 pm

I haven't asked my friends. Whether or not it is popular with them doesn't matter to me. What the engineers who know the most about the specific engines specify is my criteria.

What is specified in the manual is probably conservative for most cases, but I recommend letting data guide decisions to change the oil less frequently, not what your neighbors do. In newer cars that have an oil change due indicator light that is based on how the car is driven, that should be a reasonable alternative. Otherwise, a really good option is to send samples out for a used oil analysis by a place like Blackstone laboratories, who can provide an estimate of the remaining useful life of the oil, so you can adjust your oil change habits accordingly, or check for concerns like excess solids, dilution, or wear particles.

Both of our cars specify 7500 miles in the manuals, and we simply follow that even after the warranty expires. That works out to roughly 6-9 months (one car is driven less than the other). Also, one of the vehicles is a Subaru, so it needs to have the oil level checked and topped off more frequently than 7500 miles, but it is wise to check regularly regardless of what you drive. :annoyed

I do the oil changes myself.

In addition to the two quick lube places you are aware of, there is probably a higher density of quick lube places in commercial areas of nearby towns where your neighbors shop or pass on their way to and from work. Some of them probably also use a traditional mechanic, and others will use chains like Sears or Walmart.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 pm

miamivice wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:20 pm
with the invention of synthetic oil?
Just to make sure I'm understanding what "synthetic oil" isn't, it isn't "fake oil" created in a lab out of beet juice or watered down Campbell's soup. It is oil that is pumped out of the ground and then highly processed so that its molecules are very uniform in size. Non-synthetic oil is composed of molecules of unregulated sizes.

Do I have that right?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:37 pm

When my car asks for it. Probably every 6-8 months,which is roughly 6k miles.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Every 6-months. Which is about 5K miles on my car.

Wife's car... every 1-2 years, whenever it says so.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Millennial wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 pm
There aren't many cars that need four changes a year, unless you're putting on some serious mileage.

My VW Golf requires full synthetic ($$$ ☹️) but it's a 10k mile interval, so at least I don't have to do it that often. I change it myself and I do it about every 9 months or so based on my driving.

My wife's car is electric, and I'm very excited that the first scheduled maintenance is a coolant flush at two years!

walmart has best non coupon prices for full synthetic. (~$25 for a gallon) also costco when they have a coupon (~$32ish for 6 one-quart bottles)

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Every 13k or so in my car, as indicated by the computer. That works out to be about once a year. My father-in-law doesn't drive much (maybe 4k/year), so I do his every March. The wife's previous RX350 called for 5k, but used oil analysis confirmed that 10k was more than sufficient, so that's what we did. No engine problems when we traded it at 170k. Her new car calls for 10k, and we'll probably stick with that for a while.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 pm

I go entirely by the owner's manual. Truck works out to about one year, car has an oil life monitor that's about annual as well.

Anyone try the Amazon Basics full synthetic oil yet? 20 bucks for 5 quarts is a steal. The guys on BobIsTheOilGuy said it's legit - I guess it's comparable to Supertech.

https://amzn.to/2XqzNxl
Making cents out of every dollar.

Topic Author
miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 pm
miamivice wrote:
Just to make sure I'm understanding what "synthetic oil" isn't, it isn't "fake oil" created in a lab out of beet juice or watered down Campbell's soup. It is oil that is pumped out of the ground and then highly processed so that its molecules are very uniform in size. Non-synthetic oil is composed of molecules of unregulated sizes.

Do I have that right?
I honestly have no clue what synthetic oil is. It is a newer product and required for my cars. I have never looked up anything about it, so I do not know.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:06 pm

miamivice wrote:
I am wondering - are oil changes still popular, or have they faded away with the invention of synthetic oil?
By the way, Youtube has lots of videos posted by mechanics showing off some of the worst cars they've worked on. Most commonly, they seem to find oil-related issues somewhere in the range of 25,000-50,000 miles since the last oil change. Symptoms range from running rough to destroyed engines. Hopefully it is obvious you don't want to wait until symptoms show up.

Here's a seized engine 25,000 miles after buying it used from a used car dealer (who hopefully had changed the oil before selling it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOooYBJWBa4

The highest number I remember is 135,000 miles with "1 or 2 oil changes" (presumably the best the owner remembers). I would not be surprised if the saving grace on that car had been slight oil consumption that led to occasional low oil warning lights and subsequent top-offs with fresh oil. Even so, I think they were lucky they only failed emissions instead of having a mechanical failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC-SxrsgEwo

The extreme opposite example is a test Mobil ran on a BMW 325 doing an extended dyno test with regular maintenance, including Mobil 1 for their oil changes. They stopped the test at 1 million miles, with wear so minor the engine parts were still within their factory specified tolerances.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:17 pm

My manual says every 10k miles so I do that. About every 8 months. I schedule oil changes weeks in advance. Maybe a couple of hundred miles in either direction depending on my work/weekend schedule.

No idea about my friends but I suspect most people do it only once or twice a year.

When I was in my late 20's I had one car that I used conventional oil with and had it changed every 5k miles. Mainly an issue of cost at the time but I was spending a lot of time waiting in the service lobby every 3 months. Nowadays I always pick full synthetic unless the manual explicitly says not to.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:20 pm

10-12000 on my 2016 CRV(without the turbo engine dilution problem). I change it when the % gets to 15% like my manual states.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

maroon

Post by maroon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:29 pm

I take my car to the dealership for a free oil change every ~3,000 miles.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:38 pm
First, I highly doubt there are 20K cars in a city of 40K people. Second, it would be rare that they would change them 4X a year. I drive 30k miles a year and mine only gets changed 2-3 times. Many oil changes are done at the dealers. Many are done at home. Many are done at tire shops, Walmart, Costco, Farm and Fleet, independent techs, etc.

I go to a quick change place on my lunch time. I can be in and out in 15 minutes. It has 3 bays. That place could do as many as 25K oil changes a year at that rate.

What was the question?
Costco changes oil? I've never seen that. Which state, please?

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 pm

miamivice wrote:
I live in a commuter town of about 40,000 people. We have 2 quick lube places in town, neither which seem very busy.

If there are 20,000 cars in our town (reasonable estimate), and oil is changed 4 times per year (every 3 months), that would mean that 80,000 oil changes are done each year, or nearly 7000. Definitely, the two oil change places do not change 7500 cars worth each month per station.

Folks in my town do not change their own oil (I do, but it is a rarity). Some might take their cars to other towns, but again, that's probably common.

I try to change my oil every 5000 miles, but have to admit it often is a bit higher when I finally get to it.
I guess not everyone changes their oil every 3 months.

Which brings me to a related question.

It's actually been over a year since my last oil change. I've driven only 2,500 miles in the past year. The oil indicator says I have 50% oil life. Do I need an oil change?

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 am

I am amazed at how many people are willing to believe that the "Quick Oil Change Place" actually puts synthetic oil in their car when they pay for it. Can you tell the difference between synthetic and ordinary oil when you look at the dipstick? When was the last time you actually looked at the oil on your car's dipstick?

The places I have gone to pump the oil out of 55 gallon drums and into the car through a hose. Synthetic looks and feels exactly the same as ordinary oil, but costs twice as much. How big is the temptation to just pump the cheap stuff into a car and save the extra $ ?

Quick oil change places, I always get ordinary oil and change it more often -- cheap insurance on the engine. Some cars I change myself, and then I buy the synthetic and take advantage of the longer intervals.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 am

Millennial wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Full synthetic like Mobil 1 and others, compatible with VW spec, is only ~20$ at walmart when on sale.
Dealerships use a specifically branded Castrol which is a lot more expensive (~50$). It's a scam.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:49 am

miamivice wrote:

I drive about 20k a year, so at most 2 times a year.

toblerone

Post by toblerone » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:11 am

Mech. engineer and car enthusiast here, change it myself with good filters.
Daily driver Mazda3: twice a year, at 10k miles each (I drive a lot) Mobil 1.
Toyota Tacoma: I drive it 2k miles a year, change it once per year, Mobil 1.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:53 am

Every 15k-20k miles. Almost all freeway miles. Use Mobil 1 full synthetic 15k mile oil & filters.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:13 am

Synthetic oil 18k / annually for my Skoda Octavia vrs diesel

NYnative

Post by NYnative » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:38 am

Many years ago I owned a Chevy Vega hatchback. Great little car with a powerful 4 cylinder engine except for one problem that surfaced after about 3 years. It burned oil like crazy. The valve guides were made of plastic and they disintegrated. Plus, the block was aluminum with a cast iron head. There were no steel cylinder liners, so the cylinders scored and they burned oil. It was cheaper to buy oil by the gallon jug than have the engine replaced (where it still would have had the same issues). I kept the car for 10 years and put about 100K miles on it. After about 5 years, I collected my neighbors used oil, ran it through a funnel with a mesh filter and a magnet in it to catch any cylinder chips and put it into a plastic gallon milk jug. Never changed the oil after that as I was adding a quart about every 50 miles. Also carried 4 sets of spark plugs as they fouled after about 200 miles. Also carried a portable plug cleaner that ran off the battery and gapping gauges. In the summers, I would sometimes buy cans of 50 weight oil as I could squeeze out maybe 80 miles between adding the oil - I always waited until the oil light lit up and then pulled over on the side of the road. And, yes, if I wanted to cause a scene, I just stomped on the gas and blew out a dense smoke screen. I'm sure the people behind me were not happy. Now, I use synthetic oil and change it as directed by the manual.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:06 am

Full synthetic every 10k on a Toyota.
YMMV, depends on car and use.
An engine oil analysis, through the mail, can help establish a oil life baseline base on a particular car and use pattern.
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

MrJones

Post by MrJones » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:20 am

Is the time interval critical? I drive a car for about 2k miles a year. I use fully synthetic. Live in a warm state. Should I bother changing every year or can I get away with once every other year?

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 am

According to the manual and have tested by Blackstone at 30k intervals.

snowox

Post by snowox » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:54 am

I do my oil every 8-10k miles depending on if i go on a longer trip or not so less than 2xs a year. I do go to an oil change place and last time I actually went to same chain I go to out of state. They offer so many services now its not just about oil in fact they probably should change there name. The one I went to last time Did a piston and fuel system flush and it takes like 20 minutes. Just for kicks I tried it and it improved my gas mileage by 3mpg. Not to mention its a pretty neat process and takes about 20 minutes. But between battery's , windshield wipers, coolant flushes, filter changes and so on they have quite a raquet. For the most part I just do the basic oil change with synthetic and always use a coupon. I put on about 15k a year and my DW the same to for that I dont mind the extra dollars.

camaro327

Post by camaro327 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:39 am

dwickenh wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:20 pm
10-12000 on my 2016 CRV(without the turbo engine dilution problem). I change it when the % gets to 15% like my manual states.
I do this with my Honda also. New cars can go much further than the old 3K mile advice. However, I won’t push it past the recommended interval in the manual. New engines have extremely tight tolerances and there is also the zero weight oil thing for a lot of newer cars.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:58 am

CurlyDave wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 am
I am amazed at how many people are willing to believe that the "Quick Oil Change Place" actually puts synthetic oil in their car when they pay for it. Can you tell the difference between synthetic and ordinary oil when you look at the dipstick? When was the last time you actually looked at the oil on your car's dipstick?

The places I have gone to pump the oil out of 55 gallon drums and into the car through a hose. Synthetic looks and feels exactly the same as ordinary oil, but costs twice as much. How big is the temptation to just pump the cheap stuff into a car and save the extra $ ?

Quick oil change places, I always get ordinary oil and change it more often -- cheap insurance on the engine. Some cars I change myself, and then I buy the synthetic and take advantage of the longer intervals.

I’m amazed that people think legit businesses are just trying to rip them off.

Can you tell the difference when it comes out of a Mobil 1 bottle or a bottle of Synchron standard? Nope.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:01 am

Kennedy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:38 pm

What was the question?
Costco changes oil? I've never seen that. Which state, please?
Good catch. No. I was thinking their oil deals, not changing.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:05 am

MrJones wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:20 am
Is the time interval critical? I drive a car for about 2k miles a year. I use fully synthetic. Live in a warm state. Should I bother changing every year or can I get away with once every other year?
What does your manual say?
miamivice wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 pm

I honestly have no clue what synthetic oil is. It is a newer product and required for my cars. I have never looked up anything about it, so I do not know.
BolderBoy wrote:

Do I have that right?
It is Progresso soup, not Campbell's... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:11 am

miamivice wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 pm
BolderBoy wrote:
miamivice wrote:

Do I have that right?
It's not all that new. I can remember friends in high school talking about the propaganda that Mobil 1 was spouting about not having to change oil any more than every 25k miles. This was in the early 70's.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:37 am

Every 6 months on my '17 Altima - a huge waste of synthetic considering that works out to 3-4000 miles :annoyed , but I'm in the warranty period so doing what the manual says. Use whichever synth+filter combo is on sale, might try Amazon oil next time.