Would you fix cosmetic car damage?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wabbajack

Would you fix cosmetic car damage?

Post by wabbajack » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am

Over a month ago, I was driving through a bad snowstorm and lost control of my car as I negotiated to an exit ramp. My car (2017 Cadillac ATS) hit a concrete barrier at ~20mph. The impact was loud and things went flying in the cabin. At the time, I was afraid the car had suffered terrible damage.

After getting to safety and upon closer inspection, I found the following issues:
- Impact was a glancing blow on front passenger side
- Scrapes/scratches on headlight surface and front bumper
- Front bumper has 2" crack below headlight
- Front bumper is <1" sagging on passenger side (not noticeable from a distance)
- Front passenger side fender is bent, such that it pops out slightly (this took the brunt of the force transfer on impact)
- 1/4" paint chipped off where the front passenger door rubbed against the fender
- Passenger side headlight no longer points straight

A couple of repair shops gave me quotes to completely fix the issues, which would have run >$4k to replace the bumper, fender, and headlight. That's out of the question because the residual value of the car is simply not worth it. Also, I am unconvinced the headlight needs anything besides an adjustment. I found a shop that would be able to replace the front bumper, and "fix" the headlight and fender for a little under $2k. I made an appointment with them for March 11, but I'm unsure if the fix is worth it.

I'm likely going to trade the car in within the next 12 months. My goal is to maximize trade-in value. Assume there's nothing mechanically wrong with the car, would you pay to fix these cosmetic issues? Trade value before accident was $19k, after accident was $16k.

bloom2708

Re: Would you fix cosmetic car damage?

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:18 am

"That's out of the question because the residual value of the car is simply not worth it."

Is 2017 for the model year a typo?

Hopefully a 2017 Cadillac ATS is still worth it. That is barely 2 years old.

The value will be diminished and you won't be able to hide the damage. I would fix it back to new condition. Unless you meant 2007?

The other scenario where it may not make sense to fix is if you just intend to drive it for 10 more years. Trading a 2017 does not lead me to think you will drive for 10 more years.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:24 am

You mentioned residuals. Is this a leased car? You have to fix a leased car otherwise the leasing company will charge you a fortune to fix the problems.

If this is not a leased car then why not fix it and keep the car a few more years. I keep my cars until they get close to 200,000 miles.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:31 am

How is a $4k repair not worth it on a 2 year old Cadillac? Whether you have insurance or not, you will lose nearly the entirety of that amount in resale. The car should be worth a minimum of about $20k, so plenty of room to lose $4k in value.

I'd also fix the headlight properly at a minimum. Any temporary fix will be exactly that, and you will be sacrificing both your own safety as well as the safety of those around you.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 am

I poked a big hole in the front bumper of a 10-year-old Honda and didn't bother to get the plastic bumper replaced. In your case, though, I'd fix the car.

macman_65

Post by macman_65 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:40 am

(19k - 16k) > 2k

Math says it is worth it to get it fixed.
Plus, I would think the market to buy an undamaged Cadillac would be greater than a damaged one.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:54 am

When I have had fender benders they always found additional repairs that were needed once they took the car apart to fix this and my insurance covered it since it was necessary.

A huge risk if you do not get it fixed is that the internal parts of the bumper will not work like they should if you are in another accident so the car may not be as safe as it once was.

I would get it repaired.

Are you sure that you don't have insurance that would cover the damage?

Most people that could afford to drive a car like that without collision coverage would go on and get it anyway since the collision is only a small part of insurance costs. If this is actually a leased car or you have a car loan then the insurance would have been required.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:07 pm

What you describe isn't cosmetic damage.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:14 pm

I would repair a 2017 Cadillac, yes, except for perhaps the most minor of cosmetic issues (paint scrape, small dent).

Those cosmetic issues however will hurt your trade value, both directly (they'll estimate what it costs to fix them and deduct that from your offer) and indirectly (they'll assume your car hasn't been treated with white gloves and thus not give you the benefit of the doubt on subjective condition grades). So the question really is, do you want to pay for the repairs now or pay for the repairs when you trade in the vehicle and don't receive a good offer?
Last edited by 8foot7 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:15 pm

Ok, so you are saying the trade in value increases by 3k by spending ~4k on repairs? I would do the repairs, in that case. You recover $3k through residual value increase, so you'd have spent about $1k for the cosmetic improvement. If you were driving around in an old Honda Civic, it would be socially acceptable to have some car damage. However, with a relatively new luxury car, people might think of it negatively.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm

If it really a 2017 Cadillac, and not a typo, isn’t this what insurance is for?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:20 pm

In short, you lack the expertise to know how to fix anything - i.e. what it will take for the headlight to be properly, any sensors that were damaged, etc.

Whatever you don't fix will bite you on trade-in. Besides, who wants to drive a less than 2 year old Caddy with damage?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Cars on the road with body damage attract the attention/notice of law enforcement.
Just say’in...

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:33 pm

No sane person would buy this car at anything like what you say is the tradein value with that type of damage. Plus as noted the headlight issue is a safety issue. I dont understand why $4k bothers you if you're tossing cars after two years.

What about your insurance?

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:36 pm

Yeah, this sounds like an insurance claim for sure.

I thought you were going to talk about scratches/door dings. What you've described is not just minor cosmetic damage.

Amanda999

Post by Amanda999 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:22 pm

The headlight issue (and maybe the drooping bumper) would fail the annual (mandatory) inspection in my state, so there is no choice but to fix those.
But I'd fix all of those items anyway.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Why not use insurance? Are you insured? I would pay my deductible and have it all fixed under insurance (realizing it would also cause my premiums to increase for a few years but not $4K worth).
I agree with others - what you list is hardly just "cosmetic" - drooping bumpers and misaligned headlights are major safety concerns in my book.

Topic Author
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:14 pm
I would repair a 2017 Cadillac, yes, except for perhaps the most minor of cosmetic issues (paint scrape, small dent).

Those cosmetic issues however will hurt your trade value, both directly (they'll estimate what it costs to fix them and deduct that from your offer) and indirectly (they'll assume your car hasn't been treated with white gloves and thus not give you the benefit of the doubt on subjective condition grades). So the question really is, do you want to pay for the repairs now or pay for the repairs when you trade in the vehicle and don't receive a good offer?
Thanks, I think this is the most helpful comment so far. I understand the hit to trade value - that's what I'm assessing. Paying for it later is always better, assuming the amount is the same. Time value of money and all that. I've driven this car hard before & after, so I know it's mechanically fine.

I think many people here are overestimating the value of a used car. It is a 2017 Cadillac ATS. I bought it CPO for $26k with 11k miles - in other words about the price of a new lightly optioned Ford Fusion. The latest trade in value (with damage) I was given is $16k. There is always a market to buy cars, regardless of condition.

I also went through the detail of explaining the extent of cosmetic damage (<1" sag), but it looks like overwhelming response has been to fix it. As for the question of insurance, yes I am insured with $1k deductible. I just haven't been convinced this was something I wanted to make a claim on, and then pay for in higher premiums later. Additionally, I am not in love with the car and was looking to get out even before the incident. I would think that if I wasn't planning on keeping then I would have even less incentive to fix, but I'm unsure why others would think the opposite is true.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:00 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:19 pm
8foot7 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks, I think this is the most helpful comment so far. I understand the hit to trade value - that's what I'm assessing. Paying for it later is always better, assuming the amount is the same. Time value of money and all that. I've driven this car hard before & after, so I know it's mechanically fine.

I think many people here are overestimating the value of a used car. It is a 2017 Cadillac ATS. I bought it CPO for $26k with 11k miles - in other words about the price of a new lightly optioned Ford Fusion. The latest trade in value (with damage) I was given is $16k. There is always a market to buy cars, regardless of condition.

I also went through the detail of explaining the extent of cosmetic damage (<1" sag), but it looks like overwhelming response has been to fix it. As for the question of insurance, yes I am insured with $1k deductible. I just haven't been convinced this was something I wanted to make a claim on, and then pay for in higher premiums later. Additionally, I am not in love with the car and was looking to get out even before the incident. I would think that if I wasn't planning on keeping then I would have even less incentive to fix, but I'm unsure why others would think the opposite is true.
Your car's damage is not cosemetic, but I guess you can call it what you want.

Most of my answer comes from my experience with auto accidents. Sometimes (often?), additional damage is discovered when repairs are started, so there may be more damage that what you see right now.

Auto accidents don't generally increase rates much in my experience. I caused an accident years ago and my insurance paid out $128,000 in damages. They raised my rates about $100 every six months.

The damage on the car will cost you more than $1000 when it comes time to sell / return the car, so it seems pointless to not repair it.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:47 pm

wabbajack wrote:
You are seeing depreciation in full swing here. The last time I checked we are ~2 months into 2019.

Your 2017 Cadillac ATS would have an MSRP around ~45k. Say it sold for $40k. We don't have any trim level information. Let's assume it was sold in Feb 2017. I guess it could have been sold in 2016. So assume September 2016. Even then, that is 2 years and 6 months old.

Now with the damage it is worth $16k in trade. $24k depreciation in 2.5 years. $1,333.33 depreciation per month. :shock: I know the OP paid $26k. Does that include tax, license, title?

I sense the OP has not much love for this car. If you think $16k trade is a fair value, the time to trade is today. Seems steep. $1,333.33 depreciation per month is a quick way to not build wealth.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:58 pm

I think the first owner already absorbed most of the depreciation. What we are seeing here is the difference of the full purchase price vs. a trade-in offer for a badly damaged vehicle. 2017 ATS’s are still listed in the low to mid 20k range around here, so if the car were fixed and sold private party, there would be almost no depreciation at this point.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:15 pm

A couple points to consider...Depending upon your State, you may have to wrestle with damage disclosure if you sell/trade it after repairing it. For example, damage in excess of 25% of the ACV must be reported, etc....If ACV is $19k and you're being quoted $5k to repair...it may be close.

Depending on driving record, your State (again), and Insurance Co., you might not be charged any increase for the claim -- even with the $1k deductible, I'd think it would be worth getting the car repaired.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:25 pm

Let's review. You've done $4k (probably more) damage to the car. When you go to sell the car, every penny of the repair cost, and probably more, will come off your bottom line. That's the way it works, especially when you're trading it in to a dealer. The dealer might do the 4 boxes, and the money you're losing might be in a different box than the trade in box. It might be a higher price on the next car, or a loan deal that isn't as good. But you will definitely lose the money.

Or, you have insurance with a $1k deductible.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't call your insurance company and get it fixed. You'll come out $3k ahead. That's the point of having insurance.

I had a self inflicted car accident in 2017 with a brand new truck that did $11k damage to the truck. It was a sad day. My insurance paid for the repairs. My rates might have gone up a few dollars, but if there was an increase, I didn't notice it.

To be clear, if I had some beater that I was going to drive into the ground, I might not fix it. But if I'm selling it? People will pay more for a car that looks nice. They only want your fixer upper if they're getting it cheap enough to compensate for the damage. If it's not cheap, they'll buy something in better condition from someone else.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:08 pm

wabbajack wrote:

I think you are still missing the point that you do NOT just have cosmetic damage. A dent in the side panel or a scrape in the paint job is cosmetic. A cracked and sagging bumper is not simply cosmetic. It isn't whether the damage effects drivability, but what might happen if you ever get in another accident! :oops:

Bumpers serve a purpose - to absorb impact. You have no idea what might have happened underneath the bumper cover. As someone whose car was sandwiched in a chain reaction freeway accident, I can confirm that you want ALL your safety features to perform at 100%. My car was absolutely totaled but with the exception of having the rear window shatter and pebbles of safety glass raining down on me, the passenger compartment was fine. All I walked away with a jammed pinky.

If you need further convincing, a quick google search found this article:
SAFETY
Auto bumpers are made to absorb the force of an impact sustained during either a front or rear-end collision while protecting the engine compartment, trunk, and most importantly, the occupants. Even superficial damage can weaken the structural integrity of your bumper, notably its internal accident protection components like:
  • Bumper absorbers. These are usually made of Styrofoam or durable plastic and are located between the bumper cover and metal bumper itself. Upon impact, the absorbers take the force and direct it outwards in all directions.
  • Bumper bar. Also called a “bumper reinforcement”, a bumper bar strengthens the bumper’s entire structure. They are typically made of durable metal and painted to match the bumper cover’s color.
If either of these parts are weakened by a minor fender bender, when a subsequent collision occurs, especially a high-impact one, they could fail to protect the vehicle, driver, and passengers as designed. Not only does this pose a serious injury risk to the occupants, but it could mean more extensive, and costly, damage to your vehicle.

Topic Author
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:25 pm
Let's review. You've done $4k (probably more) damage to the car. When you go to sell the car, every penny of the repair cost, and probably more, will come off your bottom line. That's the way it works, especially when you're trading it in to a dealer.
I need to address this comment because this is flat-out wrong. The retail price for me to fix the damage is quoted at $4k. That is assuredly higher than what a dealer would pay if they were to fix the damage. Let me rephrase that because it seems that many comments seem to be missing this point:
Spending $4k to fix the car does not add (or in this case, restore) $4k to the trade-in value of the car.

Let's work with some real-ish numbers to get the point, because it helps with my thought experiment. Let's say my car is worth $18k prior to damage. I run into a wall, and on the surface it costs $4k to repair - with potential for more. If I took the car to CarMax today and they gave me an offer of $14k, it still wouldn't make sense to pay for the repair. Reasons: risk of uncovering more damage, loss of my time, etc.

As another poster noted, I am not in love with this car. I was already looking to get out before the incident. I will take the car for an appraisal this week. The numbers CarMax gives me should serve as a good anchoring point as to whether I keep my appointment to fix the damage next week.

I do appreciate a couple of sentiments:
(i) switching cars often is counter-productive to wealth building. Agree. Driving nice cars is a personal QoL issue.
(ii) safety. Bumper has absorbed the impact once and therefore is not going to function 100% in the next accident. No argument there, but this is also a QoL issue. There are more than a few millionaires on this forum who drive cars without side airbags.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:10 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm
...There are more than a few millionaires on this forum who drive cars without side airbags.
Not sure how this relates to your situation.

Those people are driving older cars which weren't equipped with side airbags in the first place.

They're not driving newer cars with side airbags which deployed in an accident, then driving around with deflated airbags dangling outside their windows or flopping around in their laps.

As you mentioned, see what CarMax will give you for your unrepaired car. It's quite possible that they will give you a number that's nowhere close to what you'd find acceptable.

If they do give you a decent price, take the money and run.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:45 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm
I need to address this comment because this is flat-out wrong. The retail price for me to fix the damage is quoted at $4k. That is assuredly higher than what a dealer would pay if they were to fix the damage. Let me rephrase that because it seems that many comments seem to be missing this point:
Spending $4k to fix the car does not add (or in this case, restore) $4k to the trade-in value of the car.
I really doubt that. If you take it into a dealer and it has not been repaired they may not even take it as a trading since they may not want to deal with it and would just sent it to an auction. If they were willing to take it they would likely discount the price by a lot MORE than $4,000 not less.

It is repaired well then the car is worth less too since people will pay less for a car that has been in an accident, Google "diminished value". You can try to collect that from your insurance company but they will usually fight that hard and try to only pay a small fraction of the true diminished value.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Why are you ignoring the fact that you have insurance for things like this?

If you don’t want to fix it, don’t fix it. But insisting that you’ll come out ahead financially by not fixing it is deluding yourself.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:32 pm

$4k in repair cost is not cosmetic or trivial damage. Use your car insurance to file a claim and get your accident damage repaired. Unless you have had other recent claims it is unlikely for your rates to go up. Trading in or selling a recent model year car with significant accident damage is going to cost a lot more than $4k.

You posted this topic asking for advice and have received lots of feedback. If you don't agree with my advice there is no need to reply. Not sure why you seem interested in debating/refuting some of the advice/assessments being posted.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:30 pm

Missed if it is a AWD model, I presume not, V6 - or 4 cyl?

Caddy dropped the model, LOCAL dealer has one, an AWD, for $23K with 28,000 miles.

Collision repair parts experience here, Infinity is probably the most expensive OEM parts, but Caddy is up there.

Good luck with your decision, I would guess you have more damage than you suspect, there usually is.

Collision repair, or trade it damaged, I have done both, I would trade it and tell the used car manager who appraises it to give me a break on the repair cost, the Dealer pays it's collision tech's less than half of the posted hourly rate, and parts come at least 20% less to them, 40% less if a GM dealer.

When does winter and snowy roads end in your area ? Did you have winter tires installed? What was your tread dept when the accident happened ?

Trading with the insurance check in hand may be your lowest hassle way out, but adjusters often write the claim on the short side, knowing some owners will run with the money and save them hidden damage and the rental expense while the supplement gets approved. It's a jungle out there !

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:56 am

I could be wrong, but I don't think modern car bumpers do anything in a serious accident. They are mostly there to absorb some energy from a minor accident ..

I once had a dent in my fender and the insurance company sent me a check for $1700. I cashed it and never repaired the dent... I kept the car for nearly 16 years though.. By the time I sold it, the dent had no "impact" on the resale value ( a mere $1200 )..

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:02 am

knightrider wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:56 am
I could be wrong, but I don't think modern car bumpers do anything in a serious accident. They are mostly there to absorb some energy from a minor accident ..
No, that's incorrect. Bumpers are designed to protect the occupant in serious crashes as well, as part of the vehicle's overall safety system. They will catastrophically crush and deform as they absorb the loads from the crash, so they won't be pretty afterwards, but they absolutely are part of the vehicle safety system.

Topic Author
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:43 pm

Wanted to bring this topic to a close. I went to CarMax last night and they offered $16k knowing the damage caused. Prior to damage (3 months ago), they gave me $18k while other dealers offered $19k in trade-in value. At this point, I have decided against repairing the damage. The cost of repair simply doesn't make sense compared to the value of the car.
Also for the last time, I have ruled out using insurance. The damage does affect the drivability or other mechanical function of the car, so it's not a high enough priority to take the hit of increased premiums.
Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:30 pm
Missed if it is a AWD model, I presume not, V6 - or 4 cyl?

Caddy dropped the model, LOCAL dealer has one, an AWD, for $23K with 28,000 miles.

Collision repair parts experience here, Infinity is probably the most expensive OEM parts, but Caddy is up there.

Good luck with your decision, I would guess you have more damage than you suspect, there usually is.

Collision repair, or trade it damaged, I have done both, I would trade it and tell the used car manager who appraises it to give me a break on the repair cost, the Dealer pays it's collision tech's less than half of the posted hourly rate, and parts come at least 20% less to them, 40% less if a GM dealer.

When does winter and snowy roads end in your area ? Did you have winter tires installed? What was your tread dept when the accident happened ?

Trading with the insurance check in hand may be your lowest hassle way out, but adjusters often write the claim on the short side, knowing some owners will run with the money and save them hidden damage and the rental expense while the supplement gets approved. It's a jungle out there !
I have the 4cyl AWD. That dealer price seems fair to me - factoring in margin and reconditioning costs. When the accident happened, my tires were 4/32 and needed to be replaced. It was one of the worst driving days for Indianapolis. Should have stayed home - hindsight etc.
knightrider wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:56 am
I will be the first to tell you that the bumper did its job. It deflected a large impact around the vehicle. It will need to be replaced for the next owner.

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:10 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:43 pm
I went to CarMax last night and they offered $16k knowing the damage caused. Prior to damage (3 months ago), they gave me $18k while other dealers offered $19k in trade-in value. At this point, I have decided against repairing the damage. The cost of repair simply doesn't make sense compared to the value of the car.
Also for the last time, I have ruled out using insurance. The damage does affect the drivability or other mechanical function of the car, so it's not a high enough priority to take the hit of increased premiums.
What is fascinating to me is...
You chose to purchase a nearly new, luxury brand premium automobile.
Yet you're too cheap to spend $2K to repair the vehicle or utilize your $1000 insurance deductible.
So instead, you choose to drive around in a damaged demolition derby battle wagon???

Per your description, it has a scratched/scraped/misaligned headlight, a scratched/cracked/sagging front bumper, bent front fender, and missing paint on the door. That is not insignificant damage.

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:58 pm

miamivice wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:02 am
No, that's incorrect. Bumpers are designed to protect the occupant in serious crashes as well, as part of the vehicle's overall safety system. They will catastrophically crush and deform as they absorb the loads from the crash, so they won't be pretty afterwards, but they absolutely are part of the vehicle safety system.

Not sure I agree. See this article below. It suggests bumpers are only designed for under 5 mph crashes..

http://sparebumper.com/everybody-know-bumpers/

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:35 pm

"When the accident happened, my tires were 4/32 and needed to be replaced. It was one of the worst driving days for Indianapolis. Should have stayed home - hindsight etc."

I have watched it for years, walking around delivering the techs their collision parts. Of course accidents happen to people with full tread tires, but the bell curve is worn tires. Live and learn. Someday's chains or studs don't even help. Good luck !