How to Remove Pink Ink Stains from Grout?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

How to Remove Pink Ink Stains from Grout?

Post by Kennedy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:32 pm

I have horizontally placed tile around my bathtub that has light beige grout. I set a flyer with red ink on the tile. Apparently, someone splashed water on the piece of paper, and the red ink transferred to the grout leaving bright pink stains.

I've tried applying a Clorax gel toilet bowl cleaner (has bleach) and scrubbing with a stiff brush after sitting for an hour, but that didn't do anything.

What else can I try?

Teague

Re: How to Remove Pink Ink Stains from Grout?

Post by Teague » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 pm

If you still have the flyer you can experiment on that, then possibly use that chemical on the grout.

I'd be tempted to try an enzyme based (such as some laundry stain removers) or peroxide based household (typically called "oxy-whatever") type product. Adhere to any precautions on the label.

Moving up the potential toxicity/corrosive scale, a careful application of a slurry of pool shock granules mixed with water could be tried. Thoroughly rinse the tile of any other products first. This slurry would produce a high chlorine concentration. Don't breathe the fumes or get it on your skin.

I can think of a couple things beyond this but am hesitant to suggest them for safety reasons.

If something works it may also bleach the beige color from the grout. But you can color that later, though perhaps not perfectly.
Semper Augustus

mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:32 pm
I have horizontally placed tile around my bathtub that has light beige grout. I set a flyer with red ink on the tile. Apparently, someone splashed water on the piece of paper, and the red ink transferred to the grout leaving bright pink stains.

I've tried applying a Clorax gel toilet bowl cleaner (has bleach) and scrubbing with a stiff brush after sitting for an hour, but that didn't do anything.

What else can I try?
Grout cleaner at home depot. Grey bottle. Comes with instructions. This doesn't have to be d.i.y.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:01 am

You may find the pink ink will fade with time as it's not very lightfast (remember what a newspaper looks like after a few weeks in the sun).

You could also find a matching paint and paint the grout. I bought black grout paint when we sold our last house; it had faded to gray in the mopped areas. It looked great when done, and you couldn't tell it was painted. In fact, if you know any artists, they could mix up a matching beige color in fluid acrylics, nothing too opaque (test in an inconspicous area).

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:03 am

Try a magic eraser sponge.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:11 pm

You can also just chisel off the top 1/16th of an inch of grout that's stained and replace it with a like color. For a small area this would be an hour of work and maybe $20 worth of grout and related materials.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:14 pm

I bet some acetone on a q-tip would work

justanothermike

Post by justanothermike » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:46 am

I'd try bleach, not something with an unknown amount of bleach in it, first. I clean bathrooms for a living and have never experienced it making colored grout white, but most grout I clean is white to begin with. Still, I've watched unknown red stains disappear. Maybe rub it on with a wet paper towel or q tip or something so that it doesn't run.

After rinsing thoroughly, if that doesn't work (or you don't want to try it) I would use Barkeeper's Friend on it. We get the liquid, not the powder. Put some on a toothbrush and scrub. A magic eraser may help finish the job if the toothbrush isn't quite effective enough. You could certainly go this route first if you wanted. Again, always rinse thoroughly before or after using anything with bleach in it.

I hope that helps. There are also many solvents made for ink. I have something called Contractor's something or other (that's the technical name, lol) that works well when it works.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:13 pm

My mom was a nurse, and when I was a kid, leaking ballpoint pen ink was a common issue for her white uniforms.

Aerosol hairspray was a fantastic solvent for ink, might work here.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:41 pm

They also make grout pens in several different colors for covering stains.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 pm

Clorox.