Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ASpenderInRecovery
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:17 am

Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 am

Bogleheads,

I read through the below thread on Hyundai reliability from back in late 2017. The thread was encouraging with positive comments on Hyundai’s improved quality and reliability through the years. What I’d like to hear from others is Hyundai a potential value sweet spot for a current car buyer?

viewtopic.php?t=235981

After test driving multiple compact to mid-size SUVs to replace my wife’s Rav4 for we’ve arrived at the 2019 Hyundai Sante Fe and we are impressed. The Sante Fe is packed with leading safety, convenience, and comfort features all while coming in less expensive than Toyota and Honda equivalents. I’ve confirmed their lower price by getting out the door price quotes on comparably equipped Rav4, CRV, Passport, Mazda CX-5 models. The price delta usually comes from Hyundai incentives and dealer discounts that knock down the price tag by 3-4k immediately even before negotiation.

Should I be skeptical by this lower cost with more apparent value? Are any concerns mitigated by their generous 10yr/100,000 mile powertrain and 5yr/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty?

Thanks for your comments and insight!

mrmass
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by mrmass » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:04 am

Might be reliable but resale might be suspect. IMO only Hyundai/Kia buyers buy the same used.

BlueCable
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:20 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by BlueCable » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 am

This isn't what you are asking, but a quick Google told me that the 2019 Santa Fe is a brand new design. Regardless of manufacturer, I avoid the first year of a brand new design because they tend to have more reliability problems than year 2 or preferably 3.

Having worked as an engineer in a similar industry, there are problems that are just not found until the car is in production.

Not sure if the data backs up this anecdotally based policy.

Topic Author
ASpenderInRecovery
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:17 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:12 am

BlueCable wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 am
This isn't what you are asking, but a quick Google told me that the 2019 Santa Fe is a brand new design. Regardless of manufacturer, I avoid the first year of a brand new design because they tend to have more reliability problems than year 2 or preferably 3.

Having worked as an engineer in a similar industry, there are problems that are just not found until the car is in production.

Not sure if the data backs up this anecdotally based policy.
It’s a valid point but would be a concern with both the Rav4 and Sante Fe since 2019 was a redesign year for both. Our purchase timeline is in the next 3-6 months so we wouldn’t be able to wait for the 2020s to come out on those two models which are our top contenders.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 9498
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am

If you're buying new and keeping the vehicle for 10 years/ 100k miles, the Hyunda/Kia powertrain warranty covers you. If you're buying used, no. It drops to 5 years/60k miles.
Exceptions: Hyundai and Kia
Although Hyundai and Kia are well known for offering the best powertrain warranties in the industry -- 10 years or 100,000 miles -- these legendary warranties aren't transferable to a new owner. Fortunately, the warranty doesn't become completely invalid when a new owner buys the car; it just changes to 5 years or 60,000 miles of powertrain coverage.

The change is an important one for used-car shoppers to know; many drivers interested in a reliable car will likely choose a Hyundai or Kia based solely on the excellent warranty coverage. Unfortunately, the bulk of that excellent coverage is only available to the first owner.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
ASpenderInRecovery
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:17 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by ASpenderInRecovery » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:34 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am
If you're buying new and keeping the vehicle for 10 years/ 100k miles, the Hyunda/Kia powertrain warranty covers you. If you're buying used, no. It drops to 5 years/60k miles.
Exceptions: Hyundai and Kia
Although Hyundai and Kia are well known for offering the best powertrain warranties in the industry -- 10 years or 100,000 miles -- these legendary warranties aren't transferable to a new owner. Fortunately, the warranty doesn't become completely invalid when a new owner buys the car; it just changes to 5 years or 60,000 miles of powertrain coverage.

The change is an important one for used-car shoppers to know; many drivers interested in a reliable car will likely choose a Hyundai or Kia based solely on the excellent warranty coverage. Unfortunately, the bulk of that excellent coverage is only available to the first owner.
Good call out. We are looking to buy new.

DarkHelmetII
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by DarkHelmetII » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:41 am

ASpenderInRecovery wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 am
The Sante Fe is packed with leading safety, convenience, and comfort features all while coming in less expensive than Toyota and Honda equivalents.
One additional resource I will call to your attention is https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/insura ... nformation. This gives safety from perspective of actual insurance claims experience reported across many insurers. This is a little outdated (latest goes through 2017 model year) but wanted folks to know this resource is available.

jaydub71
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:40 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by jaydub71 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:45 am

ASpenderInRecovery wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:34 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am
If you're buying new and keeping the vehicle for 10 years/ 100k miles, the Hyunda/Kia powertrain warranty covers you. If you're buying used, no. It drops to 5 years/60k miles.
Exceptions: Hyundai and Kia
Although Hyundai and Kia are well known for offering the best powertrain warranties in the industry -- 10 years or 100,000 miles -- these legendary warranties aren't transferable to a new owner. Fortunately, the warranty doesn't become completely invalid when a new owner buys the car; it just changes to 5 years or 60,000 miles of powertrain coverage.

The change is an important one for used-car shoppers to know; many drivers interested in a reliable car will likely choose a Hyundai or Kia based solely on the excellent warranty coverage. Unfortunately, the bulk of that excellent coverage is only available to the first owner.
Good call out. We are looking to buy new.
If you buy a certified pre-owned car, the 10/100000 powertrain warranty stays in place. See CPO Program https://cpo.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/certif ... index.html

We bought a used 2018 Sante Fe with about 3,000 miles on it. We live near the Hyundai Plant where employees buy the car at a discount and churn cars frequently. We probably saved $2k-$3k from not buying new.

bob60014
Posts: 1046
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by bob60014 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:52 am

In my recent travels I've rented several Hyundais, both sedans and suv's. While nicely equipped I dont like the ride, feel and also the quality of the the interior. They seem, for lack of a better word, cheap. Some of these had close to 15k miles on them so they were broke in, perhaps giving me how they may ride and be long term. Just my $.02.

stimulacra
Posts: 576
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by stimulacra » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 am

BlueCable wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 am
Regardless of manufacturer, I avoid the first year of a brand new design because they tend to have more reliability problems than year 2 or preferably 3.

Not sure if the data backs up this anecdotally based policy.
Yes, Consumer Reports has plenty of data that suggests first year of a new design is typically the least reliable, final year is the most reliable. Carryover tech like drivetrain might help mitigate this somewhat but isn't a huge selling point.

letsgobobby
Posts: 12114
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:08 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Youngblood
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Youngblood » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 am

We are currently on our fourth Hyundai Sonata. The first was given to my in-laws who in turn (after they were no longer able to drive) gave it to one of their sons who drove it for many miles and what seemed like forever. The second was sold at half the value to a granddaughter who unfortunately totaled it within a month (no bodily injuries). The third my wife kept several years until she felt she wanted a newer one. The newer one we purchased is a 2019.

As you mentioned, they have the best warranty. You get a lot as standard features with the base model including a lot of the modern safety features. Furthermore, city, highway and combined mpg are excellent as well as five star crash test results. All that for a very reasonable price.

So yes, I do believe that Hyundai is the value sweet spot, at least for the Sonata.

BTW, we did test drive several different models of Hyundai, Toyota and Ford before making our final decision.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

cdc
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by cdc » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 am

We looked at the 2019 Hyundai Tucson v. The Honda CRV last week, and went with the CRV when we negotiated a price, all-in, within $400 of the comparable Tucson model. The Honda felt more solid on our test drive and we liked the interior better. They’re both good cars, though. Best of luck!

vested1
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by vested1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:01 am

We leased a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe UL 2.0T in December and used our 2007 Rav4 as a trade-in to lower the price. The old Rav4 had much worse road noise and so did the 2019 Rav4 we test drove, although improved, but the Santa Fe has a much smoother ride. The Santa Fe feels more solid on the road than the Rav4 did, even though it weighs less. If it matters to you, the tow rating on the Santa Fe is 3,500 lbs, whereas the Rav4 is 1,500 lbs, which directly equates to the solid feel of the drive. The acceleration and braking are excellent compared to the Rav4 IMHO.

As with all the other SUV's with similar technology that we test drove, it takes some getting used to. The lane assist, traction control, and heads up display can be turned off, as can the feature which turns off the engine at stop lights when idling (ISG). I found the traction control to be a bit squirrely on tight corners in dry weather at normal speed. The traction control takes over and applies braking to various wheels when it senses those wheels are losing traction, even when not needed, at least from my experience. The lane assist turns the wheel back into the lane and alarms if you cross a line without signaling, even in the rare instance that you do so on purpose, but has the advantage of staying off if you desire. I prefer full control of the vehicle in good driving conditions. The ISG is just irritating. It may be that this dinosaur needs more time to adjust to the technology.

Unfortunately, the traction control and ISG default to active and must be turned off if desired every time the car is manually restarted after being manually shut off. Although it's likely more complicated in regards to the wiring, especially if each circuit is "in line" and not "bridged", a normally off switch, rather than a normally on switch (or relay) would add more choice of use. I assume most new vehicles with this same technology have the same issues.

The lift gate functions and the automatic wipers are wonderful, as is the moon roof that almost encompasses the entire roof.

Be aware that some models don't have a standard MP3 player, even in higher trim levels, although all have USB and auxiliary connections.

The sirius radio and navigation are great, and the excellent visibility through the windshield is comparable to the Rav4. Even though we're leasing, we installed WeatherTech mats on all the flooring, but then again, we plan on buying it when the lease is up.

We love the camera angles for backing and maneuvering, with cameras surrounding the vehicle which show 360 degree distance from surrounding objects, with the added top-down view which makes parallel parking on a curve effortless, as you can see the contours of the curb on the screen.

We chose to lease because the lease term coincides with the end of our delay of SS, so the lower payments give us more flexibility in the short term, although we'll still probably purchase it when the lease is up. To be fair, the glow still hasn't worn off, so I may be biased, but the Santa Fe is by far the most luxuriously appointed and comfortable car we've ever "owned" er... leased. (Cue the rolling eyes of luxury car owners). :wink:
Last edited by vested1 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 11871
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by nedsaid » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:03 am

My diesel mechanic brother loved the Hyundai cars. He felt they were both reliable and of good value.
A fool and his money are good for business.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3427
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by unclescrooge » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am

My wife drives a 2014 Santa Fe sport. It's great.
It has 80k miles on and no major issues other than new tires and brakes.

Bacchus01
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am

Their quality and performance continues to improve and they represent a great up-front value. I think their resale continues to be terrible relative to other models. Just make sure you understand the full cost of ownership including disposal.

The Kia Telluride is going to get a very serious look from us. At the price point, it’s pretty darn amazing what it delivers. Our Acadia Denali has not been a reliable vehicle. At all.

stoptothink
Posts: 5747
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:26 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am
My wife drives a 2014 Santa Fe sport. It's great.
It has 80k miles on and no major issues other than new tires and brakes.
My last car as an '09 accent hatchback. Drove it to 100k miles without a single non-regular-maintenance issue, including countless week-long family (yes, all 4 of us and all our stuff in a 3-door hatch) road trips. I gave it to my FIL 3yrs ago and he has driven it another $50k without a single issue.

randomguy
Posts: 7835
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by randomguy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:31 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:08 am
Why not buy the outgoing 2018 model year for presumably a large discount?
The 2019 is a pretty different car. I don't know about the 2018 model but I know 2017 required going pretty far uptrim to get basic safety equipment like blind spot monitor and AEB that is standard in most new cars. I am pretty sure that you still have to go to the top level trims to get decent headlights. Some of the competitors have good headlights on the base models. Depending on what exact features you want, you can sometimes get odd pricing where you have to buy a top end trim on one model but a couple steps down on the competitors.

I have no problem buying Hyundai. I am not sure I would buy them over a prefered model to save 2k if you really wanted another car other than price. I would buy the Sante Fe cause you like how it is slightly bigger (well it is bigger than compacts and smaller than midsized:)) or has some other feature that you really like. They are solid cars.

NJdad6
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by NJdad6 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 am

bob60014 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:52 am
In my recent travels I've rented several Hyundais, both sedans and suv's. While nicely equipped I dont like the ride, feel and also the quality of the the interior. They seem, for lack of a better word, cheap. Some of these had close to 15k miles on them so they were broke in, perhaps giving me how they may ride and be long term. Just my $.02.
The lower rental trims for Hyundai are relatively stripped down. Higher level trims are much nicer. Better materials and build quality than Honda (I have owned many Hondas). I find the ride/suspension to be pretty nice. Less firm than Honda but more sporty than Toyota. You can also adjust steering feel if you want more sporty.

User avatar
BogleFanGal
Posts: 324
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:59 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by BogleFanGal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 am

We almost pulled the trigger on a sonata or optima this past dec, but held off after discovering a class action suit that was just filed in Dec with respect to several hyundais and kias models spanning 2011-2019. Apparently engines catching fire on several hundred vehicles to date. Can't remember which models, other than the two sedans we were interested in (sonata and optima.) But you can google and find plenty of threads about this.

There are issues and recalls with every brand - and most Hyundai and Kia vehicle owners (and mechanics) seem to have great things to say about both, which is why we considered the brands to begin with.

BUT both Hyundai and Kia have refused to consider the engine fire as a mfgr defect and won't look into or deal with it at all. We're not talking infotainment issues or other inconveniences here. Their refusal to even consider investigating concerns me. We decided to hold onto our old car another 6-12 months to see if more owners have issues and/or if the company ends up addressing the problem.

rich126
Posts: 470
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by rich126 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:22 pm

I can't comment on the SUV but I'm on my second Hyundai Elantra (Limited) and reliability wise both of them have done well. My first car got totaled after 5 years but it was solid.

From a pure looks or type of car I usually buy, I prefer 2-3/door hatchbacks that are a bit sporty (loved the Acura RSX) but when I looked at cars in 2012 I couldn't find a reasonable priced one I wanted so I ended up with the Elantra and it was solid. Certainly not sporty. The new one has more safety features and has Airplay which I use almost everyday with Waze to minimize traffic jams.

Good luck.

vested1
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by vested1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:26 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:31 am
letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:08 am
Why not buy the outgoing 2018 model year for presumably a large discount?
The 2019 is a pretty different car. I don't know about the 2018 model but I know 2017 required going pretty far uptrim to get basic safety equipment like blind spot monitor and AEB that is standard in most new cars. I am pretty sure that you still have to go to the top level trims to get decent headlights. Some of the competitors have good headlights on the base models. Depending on what exact features you want, you can sometimes get odd pricing where you have to buy a top end trim on one model but a couple steps down on the competitors.

I have no problem buying Hyundai. I am not sure I would buy them over a prefered model to save 2k if you really wanted another car other than price. I would buy the Sante Fe cause you like how it is slightly bigger (well it is bigger than compacts and smaller than midsized:)) or has some other feature that you really like. They are solid cars.
We tried to buy a 2018 in late December because of the additional incentives, but 2018's were few and far between. We wanted a quartz white Santa Fe with certain features and no dealership in California had everything we wanted.

montanagirl
Posts: 1160
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by montanagirl » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Too bad all these SUVs look alike now. Same swoop back and funky rear windows...Why that I wonder.

The older Santa Fe was a nice looking car and my DIL was disappointed when she bought one of the newer ones because the driver sits lower. What's the point then.

But I repeat myself... :x

agilesheltz
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:46 pm
Location: ATX

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by agilesheltz » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:46 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am
Their quality and performance continues to improve and they represent a great up-front value. I think their resale continues to be terrible relative to other models. Just make sure you understand the full cost of ownership including disposal.

The Kia Telluride is going to get a very serious look from us. At the price point, it’s pretty darn amazing what it delivers. Our Acadia Denali has not been a reliable vehicle. At all.
If you are going to take a look at the Telluride, there is also the Hyundai Palisade to watch for later this year.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by F150HD » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm

pretty sure most/many (if not all) Hyundais run interference engines which means if you don't replace the timing belt at the 60k interval, and it snaps, your engine will be damaged, often beyond repair.

Set aside $1000+ for belt replacement if you are purchasing one. 60k comes quickly. You'll also typically replace the water pump at the same time (added cost).

Bacchus01
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:36 pm

agilesheltz wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:46 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:25 am
Their quality and performance continues to improve and they represent a great up-front value. I think their resale continues to be terrible relative to other models. Just make sure you understand the full cost of ownership including disposal.

The Kia Telluride is going to get a very serious look from us. At the price point, it’s pretty darn amazing what it delivers. Our Acadia Denali has not been a reliable vehicle. At all.
If you are going to take a look at the Telluride, there is also the Hyundai Palisade to watch for later this year.
That front end is beyond hideous on the Palisade

centrifuge41
Posts: 1204
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by centrifuge41 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm

I'm recommending against Hyundai. Or at least, the 6th generation Sonata. Or at least the 2.4 liter 6th generation Sonata.

The MPG is terrible. There was a known scandal where Hyundai's testing did not match up with EPA standards, and most customers could not achieve the stated MPG's.

I'm averaging 17-19 mpg, or so says the dashboard. Granted, I do mostly city driving on shorter trips. But this is way way below the stated 24/34. I had a Corolla prior, and I know that in the winter, and/or on shorter in town trips I could get lower MPG's than the stated, but it was nothing like this. It feels like every 2.5 or 3 days, I lose another bar of fuel (about 1.5 gallons of fuel), and all I'm doing is making a 4-5 mile one way commute. On my current tank, I've gone 83 miles, and I've lost 4 bars of fuel already (about 6 gallons of fuel). You do the math.

tomd37
Posts: 3006
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:39 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by tomd37 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Centrifuge41 - Never rely on any gauge or computer to compute mpg. Always divide the miles driven between each fill up by the exact gallons put in the tank at that fill up. And yes, you will get poor mpg with short trips like you describe.
Tom D.

NJdad6
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by NJdad6 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:04 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm
pretty sure most/many (if not all) Hyundais run interference engines which means if you don't replace the timing belt at the 60k interval, and it snaps, your engine will be damaged, often beyond repair.

Set aside $1000+ for belt replacement if you are purchasing one. 60k comes quickly. You'll also typically replace the water pump at the same time (added cost).
Mine has a timing chain. Does not have to be changed.

NJdad6
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:51 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by NJdad6 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:08 pm

centrifuge41 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm recommending against Hyundai. Or at least, the 6th generation Sonata. Or at least the 2.4 liter 6th generation Sonata.

The MPG is terrible. There was a known scandal where Hyundai's testing did not match up with EPA standards, and most customers could not achieve the stated MPG's.

I'm averaging 17-19 mpg, or so says the dashboard. Granted, I do mostly city driving on shorter trips. But this is way way below the stated 24/34. I had a Corolla prior, and I know that in the winter, and/or on shorter in town trips I could get lower MPG's than the stated, but it was nothing like this. It feels like every 2.5 or 3 days, I lose another bar of fuel (about 1.5 gallons of fuel), and all I'm doing is making a 4-5 mile one way commute. On my current tank, I've gone 83 miles, and I've lost 4 bars of fuel already (about 6 gallons of fuel). You do the math.
I have a 2017 2.4 (not sure what gen that is). I average about 28 mpg mixed driving. Easily get 35+ highway only going 70.

JoeJohnson
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by JoeJohnson » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:37 pm

centrifuge41 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm recommending against Hyundai. Or at least, the 6th generation Sonata. Or at least the 2.4 liter 6th generation Sonata.

The MPG is terrible. There was a known scandal where Hyundai's testing did not match up with EPA standards, and most customers could not achieve the stated MPG's.

I'm averaging 17-19 mpg, or so says the dashboard. Granted, I do mostly city driving on shorter trips. But this is way way below the stated 24/34. I had a Corolla prior, and I know that in the winter, and/or on shorter in town trips I could get lower MPG's than the stated, but it was nothing like this. It feels like every 2.5 or 3 days, I lose another bar of fuel (about 1.5 gallons of fuel), and all I'm doing is making a 4-5 mile one way commute. On my current tank, I've gone 83 miles, and I've lost 4 bars of fuel already (about 6 gallons of fuel). You do the math.
The 2.4L Sonata was not part of the class action lawsuit.

The mileage on the 2.4L in the real world is sufficiently close to EPA estimates. See here: http://www.fuelly.com/car/hyundai/sonat ... bmodel_id=

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do? ... details=on

BogleMelon
Posts: 1876
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by BogleMelon » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:42 pm

My experience was Hyundai is not as good as others. I owe a 2009 Sonata and each year I spend $$$ on unexpected repairs. Can't wait to get rid of yet and buy a reliable Toyota
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

User avatar
Youngblood
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:18 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Youngblood » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:51 pm

NJdad6 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:08 pm
centrifuge41 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:48 pm
I'm recommending against Hyundai. Or at least, the 6th generation Sonata. Or at least the 2.4 liter 6th generation Sonata.

The MPG is terrible. There was a known scandal where Hyundai's testing did not match up with EPA standards, and most customers could not achieve the stated MPG's.

I'm averaging 17-19 mpg, or so says the dashboard. Granted, I do mostly city driving on shorter trips. But this is way way below the stated 24/34. I had a Corolla prior, and I know that in the winter, and/or on shorter in town trips I could get lower MPG's than the stated, but it was nothing like this. It feels like every 2.5 or 3 days, I lose another bar of fuel (about 1.5 gallons of fuel), and all I'm doing is making a 4-5 mile one way commute. On my current tank, I've gone 83 miles, and I've lost 4 bars of fuel already (about 6 gallons of fuel). You do the math.
I have a 2017 2.4 (not sure what gen that is). I average about 28 mpg mixed driving. Easily get 35+ highway only going 70.
Ditto for me! On a recent 120 mile trip I had over 40 mpg.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Mike Scott
Posts: 1327
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:00 pm

We have a couple bought over the last 3 years. They are not the absolute cheapest car nor the best in class size but they seem to be competing well with the other lower priced "imports" as reliable economy cars. Quality of finish is fine for the price. I don't like the front seats for long drives but my wife and girls think they are OK and since they are the ones who picked them and drive them... My old Honda is probably the next car up in the rotation to replace in a few years and I have no reason to not give the Hyundai a look when I get there.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by F150HD » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:55 pm

NJdad6 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:04 pm
F150HD wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm
pretty sure most/many (if not all) Hyundais run interference engines which means if you don't replace the timing belt at the 60k interval, and it snaps, your engine will be damaged, often beyond repair.

Set aside $1000+ for belt replacement if you are purchasing one. 60k comes quickly. You'll also typically replace the water pump at the same time (added cost).
Mine has a timing chain. Does not have to be changed.
what year and model

stoptothink
Posts: 5747
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:08 pm

NJdad6 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:04 pm
F150HD wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm
pretty sure most/many (if not all) Hyundais run interference engines which means if you don't replace the timing belt at the 60k interval, and it snaps, your engine will be damaged, often beyond repair.

Set aside $1000+ for belt replacement if you are purchasing one. 60k comes quickly. You'll also typically replace the water pump at the same time (added cost).
Mine has a timing chain. Does not have to be changed.
And since when does a timing belt cost $1000+ to change? Changed the timing belt twice on my Hyundai, cost ~$400 both times.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 2245
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by F150HD » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:13 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:08 pm
And since when does a timing belt cost $1000+ to change? Changed the timing belt twice on my Hyundai, cost ~$400 both times.
typical cost is easily $500-$1000 depending on vehicle, but you should be doing other things besides just the 'belt' while they have it apart. Its your wallet. Yours is $800 lighter then mine of course.

vu8
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 10:15 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by vu8 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:16 pm

2016 New Tucson owner here, crossover 22000 out the door. battery died once in cold winter leaving outside for 30 days, nothing besides that. It's the Toyota of the 2020s. I'll only buy Hyundai from now on.

Glockenspiel
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Glockenspiel » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:18 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:22 am
My wife drives a 2014 Santa Fe sport. It's great.
It has 80k miles on and no major issues other than new tires and brakes.
I drive a 2015 Santa Fe Sport. 38,0000 miles. Me and my wife both love it. Factory tires are still in pretty good shape. No issues at all, we’ve just done oil changes and tire rotations on it.

stoptothink
Posts: 5747
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by stoptothink » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:27 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:13 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:08 pm
And since when does a timing belt cost $1000+ to change? Changed the timing belt twice on my Hyundai, cost ~$400 both times.
typical cost is easily $500-$1000 depending on vehicle, but you should be doing other things besides just the 'belt' while they have it apart. Its your wallet. Yours is $800 lighter then mine of course.
Google total cost of Hyundai timing belt change; $350-$650 and it is something that is done usually about twice in the normal lifespan of a vehicle. Overall cost of ownership for Hyundai/Kia are very comparable to Hondas and Toyotas (generally lower), both of which I have owned as well, and which were more of a hassle from a reliability standpoint (for me). There have been 5 Hyundais in my family, zero bad experiences. Most cars built today are incredibly reliable, Hyundais are no different.

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

Check out Suburu

Post by Socrates » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Went looking at Honda CRV and bought my fiancee a Suburu Forester. A lot more features for the price and drives very nice.

Top rated for safety and Honda and Suburu really hold their resale value.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

User avatar
SlowMovingInvestor
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:18 pm

If you plan to drive the car till the wheels fall off, then I don't think you can do better than a Hyundai in terms of value.

inbox788
Posts: 6393
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by inbox788 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm

ASpenderInRecovery wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 am
After test driving multiple compact to mid-size SUVs to replace my wife’s Rav4 for we’ve arrived at the 2019 Hyundai Sante Fe and we are impressed. The Sante Fe is packed with leading safety, convenience, and comfort features all while coming in less expensive than Toyota and Honda equivalents. I’ve confirmed their lower price by getting out the door price quotes on comparably equipped Rav4, CRV, Passport, Mazda CX-5 models. The price delta usually comes from Hyundai incentives and dealer discounts that knock down the price tag by 3-4k immediately even before negotiation.
They price MSRP more like American cars, padding it so taking off 3-5k is starting point of negotiations. [Not long ago, they were advertising $6-7k off Sonatas on clearance https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-articl ... 18-refresh ] Compare actual prices and differences, and you might find little difference in price and value. Also, I really dislike how some dealers advertise extremely low prices by subtracting out every possible discount that almost no one would fully qualify for, like that previous Hyundai owner who recently graduated college and was in the military.

IMO, Hyundai makes great cars, but no longer value sweet spot because their prices have risen to near Honda/Toyota. Some years back, when they were trying to improve their reputation, the savings were much more, but you were taking a risk. Now that the risk is known to be relatively low, the prices have adjusted upward, so while they're fairly priced, not extraordinary value.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ran ... dsize-suvs

https://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/santa-f ... st-to-own/
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4/2018/cost-to-own/

partner
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by partner » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:17 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:58 pm
pretty sure most/many (if not all) Hyundais run interference engines which means if you don't replace the timing belt at the 60k interval, and it snaps, your engine will be damaged, often beyond repair.

Set aside $1000+ for belt replacement if you are purchasing one. 60k comes quickly. You'll also typically replace the water pump at the same time (added cost).

The Sonata (2.4L) has had a timing chain since 2006. I just sold a 2007 Sonata 2.4L that the only cost was oil(changes), tires, brakes and a battery. Kept checking belts/hoses but in good shape. Spark plugs good for 100K miles. Very reliable car with excellent MPG. I'm on my sixth Hyundai and my kids have had four more. Why look elsewhere.

finite_difference
Posts: 1371
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by finite_difference » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Yes, I think Hyundai is good.

I heard that the founder of Hyundai used to work on cars so he wanted to make them reliable and easy to repair.

Kia* is too low frills for me though.

*Not counting the Kia Stinger.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Howie
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by Howie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:33 pm

So I'm curious- as the Genesis brand is the luxury Hyundai brand, is the "upgrade" on par with what Toyota has done over the years with the Lexus?

starguru
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by starguru » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 pm

We have a 2016 sonata and Tucson, both limited. The sonata is a nice car. Reasonably quiet interior. The sonata has a heated steering wheel which I absolutely love, the Tucson does not, which I don’t understand as we thought we bought the fully loaded model. Have not had any major issues with either car. Gas mileage is meh. The Tucson is too small so we might upgrade to a highlander. Interior quality in both is good; I like the leather and plastics more than in the Toyota models, but that is subjective.

Where you get absolutely killed with Hyundai is the resale. If you plan to own the car five years or less its something to consider.

HAL 9000
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:23 pm
Location: USA

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by HAL 9000 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:56 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 am
We almost pulled the trigger on a sonata or optima this past dec, but held off after discovering a class action suit that was just filed in Dec with respect to several hyundais and kias models spanning 2011-2019. Apparently engines catching fire on several hundred vehicles to date. Can't remember which models, other than the two sedans we were interested in (sonata and optima.) But you can google and find plenty of threads about this.

There are issues and recalls with every brand - and most Hyundai and Kia vehicle owners (and mechanics) seem to have great things to say about both, which is why we considered the brands to begin with.

BUT both Hyundai and Kia have refused to consider the engine fire as a mfgr defect and won't look into or deal with it at all. We're not talking infotainment issues or other inconveniences here. Their refusal to even consider investigating concerns me. We decided to hold onto our old car another 6-12 months to see if more owners have issues and/or if the company ends up addressing the problem.

I don't believe this is true. A recall was announced in January 2019 concerning the engine fires.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 13033
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: Is Hyundai the value sweet spot?

Post by HomerJ » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:59 pm

My first new car was a Hyundai back in the mid-90s.

Bought it for $7000 brand new, drove it for 6 years, and sold it to a college kid for $1000.

Never had a problem with it. Loved that car.
The J stands for Jay

Post Reply