Relocate to Carolinas

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
timefour

Relocate to Carolinas

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:16 pm

I currently live in NH and the property taxes here continue to rise. I am 55 years old and looking to move south. I am planning this move as my final resistance and retirement area. Looking for more suburbian than city life, townhouse or small cape style home. I am not the Florida type, but have a lot of interest in North or South Carolina. Does anyone have advice or experience with these two states. I have researched the internet, looked at tax structures, and still looking for personal feedback.
Last edited by timefour on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

neilpilot

Re: Relocate to a tax friendly state

Post by neilpilot » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Maybe you should re-title this thread "Relocate to the Carolinas?". Even though taxes in the Volunteer state are possibly even lower, TN doesn't offer a subarbarn lifestyle.

Topic Author
timefour

Re: Relocate to Carolinas

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Thank you. I took your good suggestion. My appreciated.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:29 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:23 pm
Maybe you should re-title this thread "Relocate to the Carolinas?". Even though taxes in the Volunteer state are possibly even lower, TN doesn't offer a subarbarn lifestyle.
Just curious, what lifestyle does TN have? city and rural?

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Lots of variation here. I lived in South Carolina (Columbia) for 5 years and North Carolina (Durham) for 1 year. Even in South Carolina there is huge variation between Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville in terms of climate, cost of living, leisure activities available, etc. What kinds of things do you like to do or want to do in retirement? Go to the beach? Play golf? The arts?

What climate are you looking for? Columbia was, for months at a time, the hottest place I’ve ever been—hot and oppressively humid. To the point that you couldn’t go outside during the day except to go to the pool. Coming from Vermont that may be a concern.

Having lived in both places, and knowing what is important to me, I would choose Greenville, SC or Charleston, SC over Columbia. The Triangle area in NC is great for lots of things (health care, arts/activities, but not close to the beach) but is more expensive housing wise than some of those other places.

In summary, I don’t think there’s enough info in your original post to give you any meaningful recommendations.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:42 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:29 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:23 pm
Just curious, what lifestyle does TN have? city and rural?
I live in a nice suburb of Memphis, but not certain what subarbarn means. Is it a mix of suburban and farming? :?

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:58 pm

You might also add the Georgia to your list.

Georgia has a senior income tax exemption and once you are 65 the first $65,000 ($130,000 for a couple) of retirement income is exempt from state taxes. This is in addition to Social Security being exempt from state income taxes. This means that many retired people will not need to pay Georgia state income tax.

The property taxes will vary greatly by which county you are in.

Athens Georgia is a college town that part way between Atlanta and South Carolina that might be of interest depending on what you are looking for. Since it is a college town there would be a lot going on and it is close enough to Atlanta that you can do day trips to Atlanta.

The areas along the coast are called the "low country" and they will be very hot and humid for much of the year so be very careful about relocating there. Pay a lot of attention to the elevation since that will make a huge difference with the climate.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:04 pm

More info on your desires would help. Both are large states with significant differences in climate and lifestyle across them.

I lived in NC for 10 years and had a job that took me from one corner of the state to the other ("from Murphy to Manteo" as they say there), so I have a pretty good feel for most of that state.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Large portions of both states were submerged last fall. Find out where the high ground is.

If your objection to Florida is heat and humidity, most of the Carolinas will not be any better.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
timefour

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Erwin007 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:39 pm
Lots of variation here. I lived in South Carolina (Columbia) for 5 years and North Carolina (Durham) for 1 year. Even in South Carolina there is huge variation between Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville in terms of climate, cost of living, leisure activities available, etc. What kinds of things do you like to do or want to do in retirement? Go to the beach? Play golf? The arts?

What climate are you looking for? Columbia was, for months at a time, the hottest place I’ve ever been—hot and oppressively humid. To the point that you couldn’t go outside during the day except to go to the pool. Coming from Vermont that may be a concern.

Having lived in both places, and knowing what is important to me, I would choose Greenville, SC or Charleston, SC over Columbia. The Triangle area in NC is great for lots of things (health care, arts/activities, but not close to the beach) but is more expensive housing wise than some of those other places.
YES. Coming from NH I would not survive oppressive heat. I appreciate your feedback regarding Greenville. Currently, I live 50 minutes from Boston which is close enough for me to visit museums and the arts, yet I am also close to mountainous areas for hiking and parks for long walks. Thanks for the advice regarding Columbia. I feel certain my path will not go there now
In summary, I don’t think there’s enough info in your original post to give you any meaningful recommendations.

Rondo

Post by Rondo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:28 pm

I live outside of Philadelphia and my very best friend moved to Daniel Island South Carolina about two years ago. I visit him twice a year and it is really beautiful there. I have not visited in the summer though. I typically visit in the spring and fall or winter.

Daniel Island is a fantastic place to live in my opinion. Close enough to downtown Charleston for some culture and good restaurants but you are in your own little enclave on the island. Great pools and small parks. Smythe Park is superb!

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 pm

I have family in both Carolinas. Late fall, winter, and early spring is quite pleasant in the Carolinas. Late spring, summer, and early fall can be oppressively hot and humid unless you are in tha mountains.

NCPE

Post by NCPE » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:32 pm

timefour -

I am a little biased being a lifelong resident of NC.

You have a broad choice in living locations /climates here in the Tarheel state - from the mountains in the west to the Outer Banks on the east (Murphy to Manteo as stated above). Probably would be good to come down for a week or two and just travel around and see what you are looking for as far as location. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

NCPE
Last edited by NCPE on Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:33 pm

I lived in Charleston SC for ~9 yrs. We left in 2010 and were paying less than $2k for property taxes, beach was 10 min away (Folly Beach), great selection of fresh seafood, a reasonable amount of suburbia. House prices were reasonable and still likely to be better than NH. It snowed once in the 9 years we were there. For a retiree, pretty good choice but it does get very hot and humid and has lots of different bugs that bite.

I also lived in both Charlotte and Chapel Hill mid 80's through 1999. Charlotte is a good family city, basically a smaller version of Atlanta. Chapel Hill (or the Triangle as they say = Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) is a very cosmopolitan place, lots of different opportunities between the 3 major universities, excellent health care (UNC and Duke), and beach a little over 2 hours down I40 and mountains about the same distance. Property taxes in the mid $4k for typical house. If I had to pick one place to live in the Carolinas, I'd choose Orange County (Chapel Hill, Hillsborough).
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:34 pm

NCPE wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:32 pm
timefour -

I am a little biased (as a lifelong resident of NC). You have a broad choice in living locations /climates here in the Tarheel state from the mountains in the west to the Outer Banks on the east (Murphy to Manteo as stated above). Probably would be good to come down for a week or two and just travel around and see what you are looking for as far as location. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

NCPE
Go Tarheels!

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:37 pm

timefour wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:16 pm
I currently live in NH and the property taxes here continue to rise. I am 55 years old and looking to move south. I am planning this move as my final resistance and retirement area. Looking for more suburbian than city life, townhouse or small cape style home. I am not the Florida type, but have a lot of interest in North or South Carolina. Does anyone have advice or experience with these two states. I have researched the internet, looked at tax structures, and still looking for personal feedback.
I live in Cary, NC. Good health care, near a good airport, good entertainment. <4 hours to the mountains or the beach. It's easy to avoid buying in a flood plain in this area. The joke is that CARY stands for Containment Area of Relocated Yankees.

If you want a cooler climate, check out the climates in western NC.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cookymonster

Post by cookymonster » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Go Heels!

I grew up in Gastonia, lived eight years in Chapel Hill, then four years in Charleston. Now live in the Mountain West.

Summers in NC and SC, outside the mountains are oppressively hot and humid IMO. I recall seeing a heat index of 132 in Charleston at one point. I like NC but if I moved back would probably only consider Western NC, though Eastern TN is more appealing to me because there is no income tax.

Charlotte is a very nice city now. Has light rail and a vibrant downtown. Has pretty much everything in terms of options and amenities.

Charleston is most renowned for the beaches, restaurants, and arts scene. If outdoor activities or live sports are what make you tick, it's tough.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:45 pm

Well, if you don't like oppressive heat and you like to hike, you'll probably want to live in the western part of either state.

Not sure how much you desire big-city cultural activities, but they can be hard to come by out that way. Asheville is nice, but becoming a bit trendy. Boone/Blowing Rock is a college area and very outdoorsy.

If that's too remote, you might want to check out the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/ High Point area. They tend to be 5-6 degrees cooler than RTP and 7-8 cooler than Charlotte. A bit less humid too. Cost of living is lower as well.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Topic Author
timefour

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:48 pm

NCPE post[/quote wrote:_id=4399101 time=1550961133 user_id=107805]
timefour -

I am a little biased being a lifelong resident of NC.

You have a broad choice in living locations /climates here in the Tarheel state - from the mountains in the west to the Outer Banks on the east (Murphy to Manteo as stated above). Probably would be good to come down for a week or two and just travel around and see what you are looking for as far as location. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

NCPE
Thank you. I may need to PM you a few times

Topic Author
timefour

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:55 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:04 pm
More info on your desires would help. Both are large states with significant differences in climate and lifestyle across them.

I lived in NC for 10 years and had a job that took me from one corner of the state to the other ("from Murphy to Manteo" as they say there), so I have a pretty good feel for most of that state.
What are your thoughts on Charlotte or Asheville? I am looking for areas to explore by walking or hiking.

Topic Author
timefour

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:58 pm

I just want to say thank you to all of you for your response and thoughts regarding NC and other optional places to retire. Certainly, helps to get others views in a big way.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:07 pm

timefour wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:55 pm
bhsince87 wrote:

What are your thoughts on Charlotte or Asheville? I am looking for areas to explore by walking or hiking.
Personally, I love Charlotte! It's a "real" city, with tons of suburban areas. But it will get hot in the summer, though not as bad as a place like Columbia. Winters are nice there, IMO. It's pretty much flat land though. Not a bad drive to the beach or the mountains.

You might even consider Hickory, a smallish city, but far enough west to be much cooler in the summer. It's hilly there, and close to the mountains.

Asheville is something altogether different. It's a small city, with a huge "hippy" vibe. Lots of artsy stuff, microbreweries, etc. Hard to describe, but almost like a northwestern town. The climate there is decent most of the year. It's very trendy right now, so property isn't so cheap. It's also very outdoors-focused.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:10 pm

radiowave wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:33 pm
I also lived in both Charlotte and Chapel Hill mid 80's through 1999. Charlotte is a good family city, basically a smaller version of Atlanta. Chapel Hill (or the Triangle as they say = Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill) is a very cosmopolitan place, lots of different opportunities between the 3 major universities, excellent health care (UNC and Duke), and beach a little over 2 hours down I40 and mountains about the same distance. Property taxes in the mid $4k for typical house. If I had to pick one place to live in the Carolinas, I'd choose Orange County (Chapel Hill, Hillsborough).
Our property tax in Cary, NC works out to just under 0.8% of what we paid for our house.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:25 pm

tadamsmar wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:37 pm
The joke is that CARY stands for Congested Area of Relocated Yankees.
No, it's Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

OP, you need to be a lot more specific, regarding what you're looking for. There are some progressive and modern areas of the NC, and a lot of rural areas that tend to be very homogeneous, and Southern Baptist. There are some gorgeous areas of the coast, as well as the mountains. If you move near Raleigh, you'll be (roughly) equidistant from both, but Orange, Wake and Durham Co. are HCOL in relation to the rest of the state.

SS is not taxed. There is a state income tax, but it's a flat rate of 5.5%. Sales tax is around 7%, though, and it's applied to *everything*, including labor.

Steven in NC

Post by Steven in NC » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:04 pm

timefour wrote:
You are likely to find what you are looking for but you need to be more specific. You are, after all, talking about a two-state area that would rank as the 5th most populous state if combined and top 15 by land area. Coastline, Mountains, Cities, Suburban, Rural, Lake Life - it's all here. Hot, cold, humid - y'up all here. Making an assumption but coming from NH you may check out Asheville as first choice to visit.
Last edited by Steven in NC on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:10 pm

The parents retired in Georgia. I hated visiting there for the hot part of the year. (Which was most of the year). To retire in that area you have to like humidity. A lot.

Moving to reduce taxes and get more agreeable weather makes sense. Having axes alone drive the decision is unwise.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Erwin007 wrote:

Agree with comments about Columbia.

As a kid we drove from SC to Minnesota. I remember Ashville NC as being cooler and beautiful with the mountains being so near. The swimming pool at HoJos had a great view of the smokies.

Topic Author
timefour

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Steven in NC wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:04 pm
timefour wrote:

You are likely to find what you are looking for but you need to be more specific. You are, after all, talking about a two-state area that would rank as the 5th most populous state if combined and top 15 by land area. Coastline, Mountains, Cities, Suburban, Rural, Lake Life - it's all here. Hot, cold, humid - y'up all here.
Making an assumption but coming from NH you may check out Asheville as first choice to visit.
What is your opinion on Greensboro or Durham areas? Moving at this point I still need to work (dental professional). I am inclined to think I need an area that is not to touristy, but near airport and good medical facilities. Thinking rural but within 40 minutes to city and close to parks. Lake life is suitable for me over the ocean or any place that does not flood as we live in a high water table area already and I am so done with water issues.
Last edited by timefour on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ge1

Post by ge1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Another vote for the Triangle (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill / Cary / Apex). Pros

- Easy airport
- Nowhere near as congested as Atlanta or even Charlotte
- More expensive then rest of NC but cheaper than Charlotte
- As other mentioned, 2 hours to beach (Wrightsville) and 3 hours to mountains
- World class healtcare
- Area is growing, so everything feels “new” and up to date
- Friendly people
- Nice weather. Hot but nowhere near as hot as SC or FL.
- Lots of state parks, lakes, greenways for biking / hiking / walking

Honestly can’t think of any cons.

Topic Author
timefour

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:53 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:07 pm
timefour wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:55 pm
bhsince87 wrote:

Personally, I love Charlotte! It's a "real" city, with tons of suburban areas. But it will get hot in the summer, though not as bad as a place like Columbia. Winters are nice there, IMO. It's pretty much flat land though. Not a bad drive to the beach or the mountains.

You might even consider Hickory, a smallish city, but far enough west to be much cooler in the summer. It's hilly there, and close to the mountains.

Asheville is something altogether different. It's a small city, with a huge "hippy" vibe. Lots of artsy stuff, microbreweries, etc. Hard to describe, but almost like a northwestern town. The climate there is decent most of the year. It's very trendy right now, so property isn't so cheap. It's also very outdoors-focused.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:19 pm

timefour wrote:
I recently bought a home near Asheville NC (Love it) The mountains there are nothing short of magnificent (even taller than NH!) If you are looking costal outer banks is also nice. Asheville area is loaded with outdoor activities whitewater rafting/kayaking, biking, fly fishing, and of course hiking. Asheville should meet all your needs for culture, healthcare services, restaurants (excellent) and necessities. Give it a look even for a visit it is worth it.

Topic Author
timefour

Post by timefour » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:20 pm

tadamsmar wrote:
timefour wrote:
I live in Cary, NC. Good health care, near a good airport, good entertainment. <4 hours to the mountains or the beach. It's easy to avoid buying in a flood plain in this area. The joke is that CARY stands for Containment Area of Relocated Yankees.

Do you feel Cary is expensive to live in

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Cary is part of the Triangle. The more expensive areas in the triangle are close to UNC Chapel Hill. The other places (Cary, Apex, less dense parts of Durham) are usually less expensive than Chapel Hill on a /sqft basis. This is partially due to the excellent schools in Chapel Hill.

In the aforementioned less expensive places, one could get a reasonably new (say 10-yr or so) 3-4 Br house for ~350-450k (Similar places in Chapel Hill are at least ~500k, if not a bit more). Almost all of the newer places are cookie cutters though, down to the way the subdivision streets are laid out. So if one prefers the more historical neighborhoods with streets lined by trees that tower over the streets (say those found in Newton or Wellesley), these places aren't it. Though the area within 2 miles of the UNC campus does have quite a few houses with more character.

My dad lives in Columbia but previously lived in Chapel Hill and Durham, and he loved it in NC. I personally found the climate there to be much more bearable than what's in Columbia. Cost of living will certainly quite a bit lower than that in most parts of metro Boston.
Erwin007 wrote:

Charleston was decidedly worse than Columbia. Drove over from Columbia to Charleston; upon arrival, I almost doubled over due to the oppressive humidity, and the discomfort almost had emetic effects. Never experienced anything comparable in my life. Fortunately, I found a place with AC...

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:26 pm

timefour wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:20 pm
tadamsmar wrote:
timefour wrote:

Do you feel Cary is expensive to live in
Chapel Hill is more expensive, I think. Other locations in the Triangle tend to less expensive, I think, but I am not sure by how much. You'd have to look at specific homes, home cost and property taxes. Cary is a well-run town with good activities for seniors so you get something for the property taxes. Property taxes are not high for a town, but they are lower in rural Wake County. Also, Cary has good commute times, comparable home prices are lower if you locate in southern Wake County farther from the higher paying jobs. There are some nice newish developments in Wake County.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:32 pm

Sales taxes vary within NC, I don't know if that is common in other states:

http://www.salestaxstates.com/sales-tax ... h_carolina

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:32 pm

It depends on what you are looking for, there are suburbs everywhere so that is not very specific. In the Carolinas you have coastal communities and mountain towns and everything in between. Is it possible that you are looking more for a small/mid-sized town feel as opposed to "suburbs"? New Hampshire does not have any big cities but I guess Boston counts if you live on that end of the state.

PSM

Post by PSM » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:37 am

I am a lifelong resident of NC, and have lived or vacationed in most areas of the state. The nice thing here is that unless you live on the coast or in the far western mountains, one is not far from most anything available. So, where one sleeps (and puts down roots) can be guided by whether or not you like living in urban/high traffic communities (think Charlotte or Raleigh), or if just traveling there for events is good enough. I have lived in Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, High Point (near Greensboro), other communities, and now retired to.....Winston-Salem, where we had also lived before. Here in the center of the state, we are only a couple hours or less from activities/events/sports/concerts in Durham, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. The mountains near Boone are only an hour and half; the beaches of NC/SC....Charleston....are only 4-6 hours away....nearby Greensboro, like Durham and Charlotte, will soon have a world class performing arts center. Major college sports/events are here with Wake Forest University, as with Duke in Durham, UNC in Chapel Hill, and NC State in Raleigh. We have two big medical centers here with several satellite facilities, and plenty of options for shopping, dining and other amenities.

In my area of the city, we have light to moderate traffic, parks, all the major grocery chains, medical, and good city services, good internet and cell phone coverage....and the house we bought is really nice, probably about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of something similar in Asheville or other “high demand” neighborhoods near Charlotte or Raleigh. However, interstate 40 and interstate 85 connect us rather easily to everywhere else. Just outside Winston-Salem, communities like Lewisville and Clemmons are popular too.

Beach living in N C is certainly more unique, and outside of the city of Wilmington, our Atlantic beach communities tend to be oriented towards simple coastal living and vacationing without the extremely busy and high energy feel of the SC areas around Myrtle Beach and the “Grand Strand.” In addition to the heat and humidity there, each season around Myrtle brings a variety of vacation clientele who will add to one’s experience in one way or another....depending on whether you like crowds or not.

Charlotte has grown incredibly over the years, and is certainly competing with Atlanta and other big cities....but again, you may find that dealing with the traffic isn’t what you have in mind....when it may be enough to go there on occasion.
For example, this past fall my wife and I went for a weekend of a concert, Hamilton, and Carolina Panthers. We have had weekends in Durham for major Broadway shows also as well as Duke football and basketball. We have been to the Asheville area and the mountains, Holden Beach on the coast, Charleston for beach and pro tennis tournament....but we sleep, shop and make new friends in our church and community here in Winston-Salem, with good things here and everything else close. So, whatever you are looking for, welcome to NC. It’s all here...mountains to the coast.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:43 am

ge1 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 pm
Another vote for the Triangle (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill / Cary / Apex). Pros

- Easy airport
- World class healtcare
- Friendly people

The bugs!

We took a trip back to NC last summer to visit some friends and look at some potential property for building. Walked through the woods and I knew that was not a good idea, wound up with over 20 chigger bites that itch unlike anything I know and for days.

As for the beach, we did a week at Topsail Beach every year and really enjoyed it, one of my favorite Atlantic beaches, just north of Wilmington and not touristy and very few high rises, mostly on the north end of the island.

As for NC mountains, well I've been spoiled being in Colorado, but Boone and Banner Elk are a reasonable drive from the Triangle and there are some ski resorts up there (Beach and Sugar Mountain). So lots to do in NC. I agree with the comment above about the oppressive heat/humidity in Charleston during the summer.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 am

radiowave wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:43 am
ge1 wrote:

- Easy airport
- World class healtcare
- Friendly people

The bugs!
Yes, the bugs. All varieties... mosquitoes, termites, fire ants... I just moved away after 5 years in the Triangle. Not because of the bugs, just because of work, but the heat/humidity and the bugs were one of the downsides.

And snakes. At least once a year my kids would find a copperhead at a playground.

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:01 am

We moved from NH to NC in 2015. It was a big change for us--we'd lived in the Northeast all our lives.

Summer can get hot and humid down here. OTOH, we joke about having one week of winter. That would be the week where, if I'm going out early, I have to scrape off my car. I haven't worn a winter coat in years. We don't have a furnace, but our summer AC bills are massive.

Our current house cost less than 10% more than our NH house (purchased in 2008). However, it's more than twice the size of the NH house. It's in a quiet neighborhood, has an inground pool, and backs up to a golf course. We do have less land than we did in NH.

We're in Wilmington, NC--Ground Zero for Hurricane Flo in Sept. I won't lie, some people had some serious damage due to the storm. We had tree limbs down and were out of power for 4 days. No flooding where we are. We weren't in the evacuation zone, but there was one.

We find Wilmington to be a nice city--spread out more than built up. Well laid-out, lots of development since we moved here, but plenty of charm. There are colleges, cultural events, hiking and biking trails, good medical care. Obviously, the beach is popular, but even that's not too built up. We drive a couple extra miles to visit the public beach where dogs are allowed year-round. You can even get a parking permit to park ON the beach in Carolina Beach.

Wilmington is very flat--if you like hills/mountains, further west is a better bet. Some of the foliage is different--there are palm trees, and we have a lemon tree growing in our back yard. One one hand, my roses bloom almost year-round, and on the first day of spring, our front yard will be filled with blossoms from the azalea bushes and pear trees. OTOH, it's to warm for lilacs, and I miss them. But, I find wisteria to be very pretty (it's consider a nuisance here).

I don't know that taxes, overall, wash out to be more or less, but they ARE different. Lower property taxes, but there are state income taxes and sales taxes. One big bugaboo for us has been the DMV--it practically takes an act of Congress to get through there for anything, and don't get me started on getting my 23yo OFF our insurance (she lives in Boston! Has a college degree and a job there! She's NOT driving my car!). Car insurance is soooo much tougher than NH, and I have another kid going through the permit process now.

They're also weird about pet licensing--it's usually done through your vet, but then you get a nasty letter saying you owe a $300 fine because you didn't show proof of rabies on your cat. Which I couldn't, because the cat died.

Sorry about the novel. We do love it here.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 am

Not backed up by data-but it seems it's been unusually rainy in that area for about 5 years. Seems like the amount of precipitation has been increasing slowly.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:02 am

In case you are unaware, here's a forum that is geography-based:

www.city-data.com/forum/
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am

tadamsmar wrote:

I'm a long time resident of Charlotte and had to chuckle at the acronym which I hadn't heard before.

NC mountains have gotten very popular with retirees in the last 20 years so home prices have been on the rise but I would consider some of the smaller towns around Asheville - Hendersonville, Black Mountain, etc. I also like Blowing Rock but it has more of a small town/tourist vibe.

I would also add Greenville SC to the list.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:49 am

Still not sure what you're looking for, but if you don't care about an ocean beach, look around Blacksburg, VA, home of Virginia Tech. I spent 2 years in grad school there and it's one of the few places I'd consider retiring. It's between mountain ranges, so tends to be a bit cooler in summer than eastern VA or the Carolinas. Moving in any direction, away from the college gets rural and cheap pretty quickly. Being very college centered, every restaurant delivers and there are tons of them. Plenty of opportunities for NH-like recreation (hiking, offroading). I moved from Mass, so to me, the housing pricing (buying) was very cheap. Moving to a neighborhood just outside the city limits reduces taxes while still being served by city services. You will get some winter and snow, but not for much time. There is no "real" city nearby. Roanoke is like going to Manchester, NH and Bluefield is sort of like going to Brattleboro in 1962.

At the other end of the state, the Virginia coastline is also relatively inexpensive (compared to MA) and there are suburban developments and of course beach access close by. Richmond is a drive away and is, of course a real city.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:17 am

mrmass wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 am
Not backed up by data-but it seems it's been unusually rainy in that area for about 5 years. Seems like the amount of precipitation has been increasing slowly.
The southeastern states get weather from the Gulf of Mexico, and have always gotten more rain than other parts of the country. I think Louisiana gets more annual rainfall than any other state except Hawaii. The Carolinas are in the top 10-15. New Hampshire is probably in the top 25. Also the Carolinas are more susceptible to hurricanes which aren't as destructive inland obviously but can bring a ton of rain in a short amount of time.

FWIW, parts of western NC suffered drought conditions less than 5 years ago and had to deal with some wildfire damage.

I also agree with some of the posters who mentioned southwest VA, that area is God's country IMO.

goaties

Post by goaties » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:44 am

Looks like I was made-to-order to answer your question: I've lived about half my life in NH and half in central NC. I've been pining to go back to NH for years (maybe we could switch houses? nah, mine has too many problems!), but as you have probably found from your research, the COL in NH is high and getting higher. Every time I run the numbers for moving back up there, it just doesn't make sense.

It really depends on what you want. I'm outdoorsy and miss the gorgeous northeastern landscapes I grew up with. Central NC is, um, well, pretty awful. To me. I'm sure many find it lovely. But it has become overbuilt and road-ridden. There are some nice little pockets. North Durham is nice if you don't care that it will take you at least 45 minutes to drive anywhere. House prices are cheaper up there too than in other local areas. There are some lovely areas in Orange County as well, if you have beaucoup bucks.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:54 am

NH sounds like a pretty good place!
Maybe consider western NC, SC, VA,GA or Eastern TN.
The Kruger Brothers from Switzerland chose Wilkes County, NC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HdRYq_lIUU

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:26 pm

cherijoh wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:28 am
tadamsmar wrote:

I'm a long time resident of Charlotte and had to chuckle at the acronym which I hadn't heard before.
There was talk of Cary and Morrisville merging into one town. Someone started a contest to name the new town. The winner was "Beige".

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:40 pm

28fe6 wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:32 am
radiowave wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:43 am
ge1 wrote:
Another vote for the Triangle (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill / Cary / Apex).
The bugs!
Yes, the bugs. All varieties... mosquitoes, termites, fire ants... I just moved away after 5 years in the Triangle. Not because of the bugs, just because of work, but the heat/humidity and the bugs were one of the downsides.

And snakes. At least once a year my kids would find a copperhead at a playground.
The area is a highly rated location among the mosquitoes, termites, and copperheads. The cottonmouths prefer waterfront properties. The dreaded corals prefer SE NC and I have never seen one of those. And, NC has over two dozen species of carnivorous plants. And Bernie Madoff is just up the road in Butner prison, so hold on to your wallet. Butner is a hot property for many of America's creepiest criminals.

In my younger days, I worked construction on Butner prison. There were 7 buildings on the blueprints named Mental Heath 1,2, and 3 and Behavior Mod 1,2,3, and 4. But these days they are named after the Seven Dwarfs.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:22 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=po2RGPkXhIw

If horror films really took place in the south.