Best websites / apps to store photos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Best websites / apps to store photos

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Each month I go through my photos and videos (usually lots taken on iPhones) and transfer my favorites to Flicr and YouTube. But now Flickr is charging ~$5 / month so I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm considering switching to Google Photos or getting better organized and just sticking with Apple's iCloud. Anyone with experience with both services and can comment on the pros and cons? Any other services I should consider? Thanks in advance

mega317

Re: Best websites / apps to store photos

Post by mega317 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:05 pm

It took me years to realize, or admit to myself, that I'm too lazy or disorganized to maintain any kind of system, so now I just use Google photos. Automatically syncs and I don't have to think at all. I also don't use anything besides my phone to take pictures.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:00 am

Im not familiar with Apple products but I'm sure its similar, I have a Android phone with Google Drive, Google Photos along with the edit functions in Gallery, this works well for me. I easily create albums, re-sort, edit or delete photos while in airports or any free time. Best of all it's all free.

onourway

Post by onourway » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:46 am

If you are fairly wedded to Apple’s ecosystem, it’s well worth just letting them manage your photos through iCloud. This way all of your photos are available through the Photos app on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, AppleTV and so on. Everything just stays in sync without thinking about it. If I want a photo taken 10 years ago I don’t have to dig around on multiple devices or multiple services, I simply go back to the year on whatever device I’m using and find it. Our TV’s always have a new selection of our own photos as a screensaver that comes on automatically and the whole family often enjoys just looking at the pictures together for a few minutes.

Sure, you can set all of this up on your own in other ways if you are tech-savvy enough, but if you use primarily Apple devices anyhow it’s much easier to just let Apple do it.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 am

Google photos
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Gatorbh

Post by Gatorbh » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:45 am

I’ve had success using Google Photos. They also allow you to store videos up to 1080p resolution. A nice feature is the photos look back in your history—that is if you have photos from the same date as you log in from a prior year, the system automatically comprises a short album to browse through. A nice way to recall fond experiences captured in images. The search function is quite amazing as well. You can search for people, objects (e.g. on a bicycle), etc. As expected from Google, quite powerful.

Just know that if its free, you’re not the ultimate customer. Some controversies are associated with the user policy.

Amazon also has a generous cloud storage option for photos for Prime Members. The video storage isn’t as generous as Google.