Do others dislike Vanguard's new website as much as me?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GrowthSeeker

Re: Do others dislike Vanguard's new website as much as me?

Post by GrowthSeeker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:16 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:25 pm
I just did a search using FF and Chrome from the same Vanguard address (https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-fu ... ance/vusfx) for "small cap growth" not in quotes BTW and I got the same results on both browsers.
Well, on FF, if I search for a term, say "small" or "div" without the quotes, I get a pop up with multiple matching funds: if I click one of those then I get that fund's page. But if I search a term that does not appear in any fund's name (or fund number), for example "ex div" then the popup goes away, and if I hit Enter, the search results page comes up saying essentially no results, try later.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:14 pm

I just tried ex div with both browsers and got No Matches Found for both. I never found the search feature on any website to be worth the powder to blow it to Hell.

Gort

Post by Gort » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 pm

No problems for me. It's as good as any other.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Well, that was interesting. I just looked at zaplunken's link, VUSFX - Vanguard Ultra-Short-Term Bond Fund Admiral Shares, in Firefox and Chrome with the built-in debugging tools.

In Firefox, right-click and select Inspect Element. In Chrome, right-click and select Inspect. Chrome has no errors, but Firefox is screaming:
Firefox's Inspect Element wrote:Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://dpm.demdex.net/id?d_visid_ver=2 ... 1404203677. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed). [Learn More]

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://dpm.demdex.net/id?d_visid_ver=2 ... 1404204265. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed).[Learn More]
The above errors are due to Firefox's security policy to keep bad guys from downloading malware to your PC. This is perfectly normal and Firefox is doing what it should. This should not happen if the website is properly maintained (and tested for security compliance).

Since Firefox refused to download the javascript, the browser is unable to display the fund info.

Apparently, Chrome has no such problem. Since Chrome is also security-aware of the Same-origin policy, my guess is that the Vanguard site developers have not addressed this concern for Firefox.

(I'm in Linux right now and don't have IE available to test.)

FYI - The links blocked by Firefox go to a 3rd-party website, not Vanguard, and is why the security measures triggered. Where do they go? The domain https://dpm.demdex.net/ redirects you to.... Adobe Audience Manager. It's not malware per se, but a way to track you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:57 pm

LadyGeek,

Just for me to be clear I can see that page for the Ultra Short Term Bond Fund in both FF and Chrome. It is when I do a search from the Search box on that screen when I search for "ex div" (no quotes) Chrome returns a list of hits whereas FF returns "No Matches Found".

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:35 pm

Search results for ex div in Firefox shows this message box:
Search results are unavailable at this time.
Please try again later.
Enable Firefox's Inspect Element to see that it's the same error:
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://dpm.demdex.net/id?d_visid_ver=2 ... 1486665800. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed).[Learn More]
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://investor.vanguard.com/static/gl ... eSC.min.js”. search:53:1
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://investor.vanguard.com/static/gl ... nit.min.js”. search:55:1
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://dpm.demdex.net/id?d_visid_ver=2 ... 1486666075. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed).[Learn More]
Searching with Firefox has never worked for me. At least I know why - and that it never will work unless Vanguard fixes this.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Well this is interesting to know, if I really want to find something at Vanguard's site I'll use Chrome. I just wrote this off as "Vanguard's search is as useless as just about all websites' searches". Now I wonder if those others would be effective using Chrome?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Typing in "ex-div" in Fidelity's search box (upper right corner) not only works in Firefox, it also drops-down suggested keyword searches, such as "ex dividend date". Vanguard just looks for funds - and doesn't work in Firefox.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks to an employer benefit, I just created a Fidelity account. I never knew what I was missing until I had something to compare with Vanguard.

With Fidelity, my employer benefits (from netbenefits.com) are fully integrated into the personal website (fidelity.com). One login, see everything in one spot.

I also like the real-time quotes. I don't need them, but it's fun to keep track.

One interesting feature is the ability to enter your username and password by phone. I assume you can only use the phone number registered with your account (?), which would make sense from a multi-factor authentication perspective.
Telephone entry:
Here is the telephone keypad translation of your username. Enter it when prompted for your username.

Username: LadyGeek
Phone equivalent: LadyGeek
When calling by phone, translate your password into numbers using the telephone keypad. There is no case sensitivity. All special characters should be translated to an asterisk (*).
I have no idea why Vanguard decided to use voice recognition.

Oh, and I am able to change my username at any time. Just go to your profile, check availability, and you are done.

Vanguard requires you to reregister to change your username. Given what I've seen so far, I am very afraid to do anything that touches my Vanguard account profile.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:34 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 pm
Thanks to an employer benefit, I just created a Fidelity account. I never knew what I was missing until I had something to compare with Vanguard.

With Fidelity, my employer benefits (from netbenefits.com) are fully integrated into the personal website (fidelity.com). One login, see everything in one spot.

I also like the real-time quotes. I don't need them, but it's fun to keep track.

One interesting feature is the ability to enter your username and password by phone. I assume you can only use the phone number registered with your account (?), which would make sense from a multi-factor authentication perspective.
Telephone entry:
Here is the telephone keypad translation of your username. Enter it when prompted for your username.

Username: LadyGeek
Phone equivalent: LadyGeek
When calling by phone, translate your password into numbers using the telephone keypad. There is no case sensitivity. All special characters should be translated to an asterisk (*).
I have no idea why Vanguard decided to use voice recognition.

Oh, and I am able to change my username at any time. Just go to your profile, check availability, and you are done.

Vanguard requires you to reregister to change your username. Given what I've seen so far, I am very afraid to do anything that touches my Vanguard account profile.
I am glad that you are happy at Fido, I think the NetBenefits site and service stinks. I've been using it for 2 decades, maybe longer, ever since they became the custodian of my 401k. I hate having to confirm that I do not want email delivery of statements quarterly and they ask me frequently. The userid and password situation is bizarre, while both use upper/lower case with symbols and numbers you can't do that with the phone so it is a bit odd punching them in and then there is the lengthy phone mail system you have to be dragged through to get to speak to someone who seldom knows anything beyond how to exchange from one fund to another. The representatives are useless really and the website is not user friendly, despite going there 2 times a month to check balances I sometimes have to fish around to get from here to there since it is not obvious. Based upon what I have experienced since the later 90's I would never move my Vanguard accounts there. Some people like Fido but to me it has always been difficult to deal them. The only reason I have anything there is I retired prior to 59 1/2 so I kept some of my 401k there in case I needed it. I still have it there as I like the Stable Value fund which does not have duration risk and the yield is competitive to a short term bond fund. RMDs may be the final straw and I'll move that to Vanguard but I'll see.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:11 pm

To be clear, I just created the account. I don't have any investments at Fidelity, so I can't compare anything other than I like the website layout and features. I don't have any transactions from the netbenefits.com side, yet. It might be a while until there's activity.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:36 am

Auuughh!!
I just tried to send Vanguard a secure message, and I got the error message. Won't send. I found a thread about it suggesting certain punctuation is not allowed. Same failure with Firefox or Chrome.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

tbird

Vanguard - Will they ever upgrade their site?

Post by tbird » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:04 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]
After another day of trying to use Vanguards website, this time regarding "settlement funds" I think I've reached my limit and will move my account. Using Vanguards website is an exercise in frustration. It's just plain awful. Hard to find what you are looking for, things are not laid out in a clear manner, it's just not user-friendly. Do they even have a clue that many users think it just plain sucks?

Broken Man 1999

Re: Vanguard - Will they ever upgrade their site?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:25 pm

You seem to have been unhappy at Vanguard since at least 2017. Why suffer through their website, since there are many options.

Don't let them bring you down, move to where you will be happier. Life is too short to constantly be frustrated by a business relationship one can easily change.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

tbird

Post by tbird » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:31 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:25 pm
You seem to have been unhappy at Vanguard since at least 2017. Why suffer through their website, since there are many options.

Don't let them bring you down, move to where you will be happier. Life is too short to constantly be frustrated by a business relationship one can easily change.

Broken Man 1999
It's actually been longer than that. My hope was that they were aware and would upgrade their site at some point. I guess that was wishful thinking!

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Life is short. Switch.

If the same thing happens at site B, it might not be the site.

I don’t find Fidelity’s site any better.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

SleepCity

Post by SleepCity » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:47 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Broken Man 1999
Some people find complaining relaxing.....

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:51 pm

What’s wrong with Vanguard’s website? It works fine for me.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:54 pm

I have accounts at Vanguard, Fidelity, and Schwab. I have issues with all of their websites. All frustrate me at times, but I can eventually reach my destination. I figure all will improve but not as rapidly as I want. I have bigger problems in my life than the pace of these developers.

If I were extremely frustrated, I would rather switch than fight.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:56 pm

I don't have issues with Vanguard's site and have never understood what the complaints are other than personal preferences or professional web designers who would do it differently. I use many complex websites and to be honest I'd take Vanguard's which has a lot of capability over a number of others that are more complex or which have missing functionality. For example my national credit union will not let me designate a POD beneficiary online. Vanguard does. I don't expect I'll need to talk to someone on the phone at Vanguard for another decade unless they make a mistake. I do spend some time a couple times per year re-familiarizing myself with Vanguard's site so that I'll know whats there and remember to use it.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:56 pm

They did just upgrade their site. There’s a thread somewhere with people complaining about the upgrade.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:57 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:51 pm
My thoughts exactly. I don’t need every site for every business I work with to be perfect. I just need to be able to do what I want. The VG web site has never stopped me from doing that. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Cheers

yousha

Post by yousha » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:58 pm

I Love their website!

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:59 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:57 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I don’t need every site for every business I work with to be perfect. I just need to be able to do what I want. The VG web site has never stopped me from doing that. If the site is so bad that you can’t use it the problem may be found in the mirror.

Cheers
I don't get it either.
Too soon old, too late smart.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:08 pm

I agree with the OP especially since they mentioned settlement funds. When will Vanguard implement real-time tracking of all of one's cash and pending transactions? I suspect the answer to that question is: Never.

Make yourself anti-fragile: Don't use Vanguard.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tbird

Post by tbird » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:10 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I don’t need every site for every business I work with to be perfect. I just need to be able to do what I want. The VG web site has never stopped me from doing that. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Cheers
I use several brokers in addition to Vanguard...Fidelity, Schwab, TDA, M1 and Robinhood. None of their sites are perfect. However there is no excuse for Vanguard to be the worst of the lot. There are reasons to stay at Vanguard other than the quality of their site, which is why I'm still there. However, as many on here agree that their site is poorly designed. In 2019 is it really that hard to hire someone who could fix it?

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm

tbird wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:10 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:

Cheers
I use several brokers in addition to Vanguard...Fidelity, Schwab, TDA, M1 and Robinhood. None of their sites are perfect. However there is no excuse for Vanguard to be the worst of the lot. There are reasons to stay at Vanguard other than the quality of their site, which is why I'm still there. However, as many on here agree that their site is poorly designed. In 2019 is it really that hard to hire someone who could fix it?
Has Robinhood fixed the problem where you don’t get bid and ask data when you’re buying and selling stocks? Until they fix that, the idea that Vanguard is the worst is kind of ridiculous.

In 2019, it actually is hard to hire someone who can fix it. Unemployed software developers are as rare as hen’s teeth.

cavman22

Post by cavman22 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:19 pm

Don’t want to be a complainer, but yeah their site is terrible

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:23 pm

tbird wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:31 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Broken Man 1999
It's actually been longer than that. My hope was that they were aware and would upgrade their site at some point. I guess that was wishful thinking!
Instead of wishing, have you told someone at Vanguard what you would like to see changed and why?

It's clear to us that you've shared your problems with us, but it's really sharing it with Vanguard that matters. Otherwise they don't know a problem exists.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:26 pm

tbird wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:

Cheers
Several is not 6...

You have been complaining on this site for a long time, how many "Voice of the Customer" complaints have you made to Vanguard?

I probably avg 1 per month.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:27 pm

tbird wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:

Cheers
It has been noted by many commentators, that they have some usability issues, but they are hardly the worst. I had an account at UBS and it makes Vanguard look Apple-good..... Fidelity looks great until you try to actually start doing stuff and the shine wears off quickly as you find that navigation and hidden pages make it less nice than it first appears. So I am of the opinion that from a usability perspective, Vanguard has its issues (e.g., bizarre navigation requirements for certain transactions that don't make sense), but that does not disqualify them.

Now, to the real issue as far as I am concerned. The fact that Vanguard takes sometimes over 12 hours to update closing prices and balances are often off between price changes and the displayed balance is really really bad because they are providing factually incorrect data. I didn't realize how much I hated that (like the proverbial frog, I had been slowly boiled in that pot) until I opened an account at Fidelity and realized that they update share prices and balances with seconds after close or the market. This is a sign that there are serious underlying IT issues within the Vanguard universe. I will say a lot of the delays are related to my 401(K) at Vanguard, but even regular brokerage accounts with a mix of stocks/ETFs have inconsistencies and delays that are unacceptable.

Note, I have made these complaints directly to Vanguard customer service as well surveys by them.

nix4me

Post by nix4me » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 pm

It's easy to fix. Move everything to Fidelity.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:45 pm

Yeah move to Fidelity. You will get those all important hot stock tips an movers of the day. I do have money there but for a Boglehead the website is godawful.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:17 pm

I haven’t had major issues with Vanguard’s website. I rarely use the site for anything other than checking account balances and rebalancing. I’m still using the old mutual fund platform, which may be another reason that I haven’t experienced many problems. However, I recently went to the personal investor site to investigate Vanguard’s ETFs. Their multifactor fund is not listed on the personal investor pages. To find it, I had to go to the advisor pages. Since I haven’t used the advisor section, I had problems navigating the pages, which weren’t very intuitive. Since the factor funds aren’t listed on their personal investor pages, I don’t think Vanguard wants to sell them to Vanguard personal investors. This is not a problem for me. I don’t want to use an advisor or “upgrade” to the brokerage platform. I’ll purchase Vanguard ETFs using my Chase YouInvest account.

DMW

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:19 pm

tbird wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:04 pm
After another day of trying to use Vanguards website, this time regarding "settlement funds" I think I've reached my limit and will move my account. Using Vanguards website is an exercise in frustration. It's just plain awful. Hard to find what you are looking for, things are not laid out in a clear manner, it's just not user-friendly. Do they even have a clue that many users think it just plain sucks?
Have you provided this feedback to Vanguard?

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:37 pm

I sure hope they don't change it! Yes, it has a steep learning curve.

But IMO, once you figure it out, it's very efficient.

Sort of like Amazon. Their website hasn't changed significantly in probably 15 years. And I like that!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:38 pm

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:23 pm
Instead of wishing, have you told someone at Vanguard what you would like to see changed and why?

It's clear to us that you've shared your problems with us, but it's really sharing it with Vanguard that matters. Otherwise they don't know a problem exists.
At last year’s Bogleheads conference the attendees got to visit the Vanguard campus and talk with various groups of Vanguard employees. One group represented was the user experience team. I had a good discussion with them (not just as a customer, but also because I am a software engineer with a special interest in user experience). So yes, they do care and they do work on improvements.

Also, checking my inbox, I recently received an invitation from Vanguard for a survey focused on usability. I was traveling and ended up forgetting about it and it has now expired. But, the message also included an email address for the usability team for questions about the survey. The address clearly was a generic address not specific to the survey. I won’t mention it here, but if the OP was to reach out to them to provide concrete feedback, please PM me and I will pass it along.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:42 pm

I've got accounts at Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity and they're all pretty terrible in their own special ways. It's some kind of rite of passage for discount brokers and banks to be bad at technology.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:31 pm

Move to Schwab. We did and are very happy.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:40 pm

I merged tbird's thread into the on-going discussion, which is in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (website).

I also removed an off-topic comment. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:42 pm

wootwoot wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:19 pm
Have you provided this feedback to Vanguard?
I certainly have. I must admit that Vanguard made specific changes to everyone's benefit many years ago when I mentioned an easy enhancement for something.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:18 pm

Why can't VG do like TRowePrice and Fidelity? Show the actual dollar amounts of gain/loss for the day? When logging on to account home page? Is that too much to ask?

Oh, yeah. We're not supposed to be focused on days. Mutual fund investing is long range! Yep, months, or better, years.

Yeah, I forgot that :wink: Excuse me :oops:

scoroi

Post by scoroi » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:24 pm

Would be great if financial institutions such as Vanguard improve their security practices.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... 200&latest
https://github.com/ssllabs/research/wik ... rd-secrecy

tbird

Post by tbird » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:42 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:26 pm
tbird wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:

Cheers
Several is not 6...

You have been complaining on this site for a long time, how many "Voice of the Customer" complaints have you made to Vanguard?

Yes, I have. Including earlier today before I posted. Just curious, is "several" more or less than 6?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:42 pm

tbird wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:42 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:26 pm
tbird wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:

Cheers
Several is not 6...

Yes, I have. Including earlier today before I posted. Just curious, is "several" more or less than 6?
Several is:

more than two but not many. A handful of. Therefore, not 6. :D
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

quantAndHold

Re: vanguard website weak security

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:46 pm

Then there are the others.

HawkeyePierce

Re: vanguard website weak security

Post by HawkeyePierce » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 pm

The vulnerability here requires someone to:

a) steal Vanguard’s private SSL key

and b) have recorded encrypted traffic between Vanguard and its customers.

If both of those were true the attacker could compromise account passwords (possibly). Since Vanguard now requires 2FA that’s not a huge threat.

While Vanguard should support PFS I wouldn’t call this a major problem. PFS is more critical when the certificate is used to encrypt communications like a chat app, where compromise could lead to those chats being decrypted. That’s a less interesting attack in this case.

RickBoglehead

Fidelity is worst

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:46 pm
Then there are the others.

Ha! :D

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:12 am

I don't know what is wrong with Vanguard's website, it works fine for me. I can find the things I want to find. I like how they group the funds and the pages on those funds provide the info I want. So what exactly is the problem?

infotrader

Post by infotrader » Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 am

SoAnyway wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:32 am
infotrader wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:41 am
bondsr4me wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:03 am
SoAnyway wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:42 am
khh wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:50 am
I give Fidelity an "A" for its website. Vanguard and Chase get a B-.
Interesting. I've had Vanguard and Fidelity accounts since the 90s. I've always loved the Vanguard site and *tolerated* Fidelity's. (I also had Schwab, but never mind that part....) I've always found V's website easier in terms of getting what I need, finding what I'm looking for, etc. Every time I'm on Fidelity's site, I always feel like it's intentionally trying to make it harder for me to get the info/page I want and need, as they waste my time and insult my intelligence by manipulating and pushing their marketing angles on me. Maybe that's just me. To reiterate a post upthread, I also have a "Fidelity NetBenefits" account through a former employer, and as that poster said it's a horror show of clunkiness but I have to believe the fault for that is split between Fidelity and the former employer. SoAnyway....

OP, I've not noticed much difference w/any changes to the V website. If there were any, I adapted quickly. If it matters, I only ever access my V account on a laptop/desktop via browser (NEVER mobile app); I'm still on the mutual fund platform for my core holdings; and I only login on rare occasion when I need to do a transaction or do my annual check/re-balance.
I tend to agree with you that the Fidelity website does feed a lot of info on their webpages. I really like Fidelity though.
The real time chat systems is something that, IMHO, that Vanguard absolutely needs to catch up to.
Fidelity's (and Schwab's) chat system is very good.
BTW, yesterday evening I signed onto to VG's iPad app; i really like it.
It now has the mobile deposit for brokerage accounts, which I really prefer to use instead of mailing checks.
I have equal amount of money with both companies. Fidelity's site is far better.
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, infotrader. And I am of exactly the opposite opinion: Vanguard's site is far better.
Meh, everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks....
BTW, in light of your forum name, if you're trading on material nonpublic info, um, I hope you've got a good bail bondsman on speed dial, hahaha... :wink:

Edit: I respect that some prefer to tap keystrokes (live chat, mobile deposits, etc.). Personally, I can talk much faster than I can type, and I can reach an understanding far more quickly in a human-to-human interaction - e.g. the latter getting at some of the 70-90% of communication that's non-verbal (tone, etc.). So features that better enable me to "broadcast" (speak w/o listening) vs. "communication" (2-way street) don't help me when trying to solve a personal finance issue. Just my $.02.
My main issue with vanguard site is that it is not as intuitive as it should be, especially when you want to trade. In the pop-up window, even if I designate the holding symbol that I want to sell, I cannot tell from that window how many shares I own: it is mixed with all other holdings.

I guess it all depends on everyone's usage pattern and behavior. All I can say is that my brain is not a good fit for vanguard.
Last edited by infotrader on Wed May 01, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.