Darn Tough Socks....Boxers???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ddurrett896

Darn Tough Socks....Boxers???

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 am

Read a thread on here about socks and Darn Tough Socks came highly recommended. 12 pairs later I agree!

Is there a “Darn Tought Socks” of the boxers world? Trying to complete my undergarment game!

TxAg

Re: Darn Tough Socks....Boxers???

Post by TxAg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:34 am

I complement my Darn Tough socks with ExOfficio boxer briefs. However, ExOfficio quality seems to be down the last few years.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:50 am

A couple of years ago I did a little test of socks and underwear to see how they hold up.

ExOfficio Give-n-go-They are pretty solid but they have a tendency to cause weggies, at least with me.Zero support. Dry really fast.

Duluth Trading-Tried 3 different styles. All seem to be built well. Bullpen seemed to work best for me. 100% support.Wait until they are on sale or they are $$$. They are always going on sale though.

David Archy Ultra Soft Bamboo Basic Boxer-Not sure how long they will last. They are nice, cool, and thin. I don't know how to describe this but here it goes....[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

Stacy Adams Boxer-0% support but nice and cool

dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 am

ExOfficio give-n-go sport mesh boxer brief are my go to for everything including going to the gym. They wick away moisture and stay in place. They dry really fast too. The only issue is that every single pair I own have pilling in the crotch after one wear/wash cycle. Aside from the fabric looking terrible in the crotch they don't affect performance and wearability. I've bought more pairs knowing they would pill after one wear. They are "no-fly" but that's not a concern for me, and in fact, preferable.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 am

I agree that Darn Tough socks are great.

The best quality boxers Iʻve found are Mack Weldon. Their Airknitx fabric is amazing in functionality.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

cookymonster

Post by cookymonster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am

How do you guys find the best deals on Darn Tough socks? Interested in giving them a try but the stores all seem to charge $20 a pair.

Topic Author
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:33 am

cookymonster wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am
How do you guys find the best deals on Darn Tough socks? Interested in giving them a try but the stores all seem to charge $20 a pair.
Gov X sells them for around 35% off.

Must be one of the below to shop the site:
* Current & Former U.S. Military
* U.S. Law Enforcement
* U.S. Firefighters & First Responders
* U.S. Government Employees

If not, Amazon has some decent deals on multi-packs.

billyo44

Post by billyo44 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:08 am

Duluth Trading Bull Pen Underwear...they have a semi-compression feeling...and fit a little tight for their listed size...but I like them.

Darn tough pants..try Duluth Trading Foreman Firehose pants...get a pair!

8-)
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:20 pm

cookymonster wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:09 am
For the two weeks before Thanksgiving, the factory sells its seconds and irregulars, quite the scene. So make a visit to the smallest state capital (Montpelier) and head down the road 8 miles to beautiful Northfield, VT, home to the Norwich University.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Bogle7

Boxers - Saxx

Post by Bogle7 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:26 pm

I like this brand and own about 23 pair.
https://www.saxxunderwear.com

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 am
Read a thread on here about socks and Darn Tough Socks came highly recommended. 12 pairs later I agree!

Is there a “Darn Tought Socks” of the boxers world? Trying to complete my undergarment game!
I heard on “wait wait don’t tell me” in passing that undergarments need to be discarded every 6 months. I can not tell what the source was but it wasn’t one of the jokes and was likely part of daily news questions they ask their panel.
I wouldn’t buy anything expensive if I really *should* discard it in 6 months. For the record my timeline was a bit longer for discarding mine 🙂

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 pm

If you like the properties of merino wool...try smartwool or "wooly clothing" (available on Amazon) boxers. They won't last forever if you machine wash (delicate cycle) and dry. My husband's last about 5 years, but we do occasionally darn a hole to keep them going.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 pm

If you like the properties of merino wool, Costco sell socks in the fall for about $12 for 4 pairs.

Mister A

Post by Mister A » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:31 pm

leeks wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:15 pm
If you like the properties of merino wool...try smartwool or "wooly clothing" (available on Amazon) boxers. They won't last forever if you machine wash (delicate cycle) and dry. My husband's last about 5 years, but we do occasionally darn a hole to keep them going.
I was considering these myself. I bought a pair of Darn Tough hiking socks and a pair of Smartwool ski socks and Smartwool baselayer bottoms for a recent trip. Both socks were amazing and seemed comparable. I'm assuming the boxers are comparable construction to the baselayer and a solid product.

Some of the others are 100% synthetic fibers, which isn't something I'm into.

StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 pm

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 pm
ddurrett896 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:42 am

I heard on “wait wait don’t tell me” in passing that undergarments need to be discarded every 6 months. I can not tell what the source was but it wasn’t one of the jokes and was likely part of daily news questions they ask their panel.
I wouldn’t buy anything expensive if I really *should* discard it in 6 months. For the record my timeline was a bit longer for discarding mine 🙂
I have boxer shorts that I have owned for 20 years. Those pairs are mostly giving up the ghost at this point (fabric is wearing away around the elastic waistband) but don't tell me I should have thrown them away over 19 years ago.....

StrawMan

Post by StrawMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Best boxers I've ever had, and I've used several types are from: https://www.sweatitout.com/products/wic ... short.html.

These things are bomb proof, wore them on deployments. No swamp ass, not super tight like the pic shows either.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 am

ive tried all the various high end boxers. Still go back to under armour every time. The quality imo is another level.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:17 am

Will do good wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 pm
If you like the properties of merino wool, Costco sell socks in the fall for about $12 for 4 pairs.
Yes, I grabbed some of these. Not the "best" socks I own, but very happy with them. Excellent value- easily worth more than $3 p/pair.
Funding secured

namekevaste

Post by namekevaste » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:33 am

Merino from Smartwool, icebreaker or Stoic brands are exceptionally comfortable - but wear out easily. Nothing beats linen for comfort in warm weather. Linen boxers are hard to find and expensive. I have a boglehead alternative. I purchase linen by the meter online - ebay is a good source and 150 gms/sqm is a good weight. When traveling internationally, I get several pairs made using my favorite boxer pattern (slim fit, gusseted crotch, single button fly, vented side seam). Tailoring in Thailand, Indonesia or the middle-east is inexpensive and you get to customize waistband etc. I machine wash at high temperature and they come out softer with each wash. Linen's durability is unbeatable.