Wife filled our gas engine car with diesel fuel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jlawrence01

Re: Wife filled our gas engine car with diesel fuel

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Be happy that she did not add gasoline to a diesel car as that will be catastrophic to the diesel engine.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:06 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:59 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 pm
If she add diesel and havn't start the car yet, the diesel is not in fuel pump and gas line yet. She she start the car, then need to get the diesel out of gas line. Anyway, it hasn't damaged the engine yet. Just step by step to clear it out.
OP said she drove it several blocks until it died.
It's not the end of world, find a mechanic and get the diesel out. will cost say 2 hr of labor I would guess.

StrangePenguin

Post by StrangePenguin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:10 pm
MathWizard wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:33 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm

I've also heard that in Europe, there are diesel pumps with markings that include the letters "GAS". Is this correct?

RM
When we last drove in France in March 2017, the pumps were marked “Unleaded” and “Diesel”. However, there was supposed to be a change last fall:
https://www.thelocal.fr/20181011/what-y ... ump-labels
When I drove in France, (2012) all I saw was Gazole (diesel).

I never saw anything else. I was not filling up in large cities, and mainly avoided them.
Ah, maybe it was "Gazole" that some others had reported "assuming" was "gaS".
That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM
It depends on the gas station. Some labels clearly with the word Diesel. Some has Gazole and 3 different types of gas there, but not with the exact word diesel. We asked some French people with some English knowledge and they were even confused. This is Southern France near Sarlat, not in Paris.
When I lived in France (5 years ago), Diesel was definitely labeled as gazole. I attributed that to the strong desire of the French to never use any German word (or in this case, name) if at all possible :wink: . I think regular gas was labeled "sans plomb" meaning "without lead".

wander

Post by wander » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:21 pm

spectec wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 am
Here's a pretty good explanation:

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/dear-car- ... el-gas-car
If it were me, I would have it fixed and tried to sell it first thing. I don't care what people study it, the car will never be the same.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 pm

FWIW there is little to no rhyme or reason to the color of the pumps or diameter of the nozzle. Although the concept would be great I have both a gas and diesel vehicles and really the only way by looking at the handle/nozzle u can tell its a diesel is if it's filthy looking. They can be green, yellow, white, black, we have them all here. Never trust the color. There is also not enough difference in practical size to guarantee the nozzle will not fit gas/diesel either as it most of the time fits perfect still.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm
The diesel nozzle is bigger to stop people putting diesel where gasoline should be. It works most of the time. But it can be defeated by a combination of determination and ingenuity.
This must be a regional thing... I drove a diesel for a few years, and it's filler hole was definitely made to accommodate a larger nozzle, but I only once encountered one when I filled up at a truck stop. Every other diesel nozzle I saw throughout New England was the same diameter as a gas nozzle.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote: The diesel nozzle is bigger to stop people putting diesel where gasoline should be. It works most of the time. But it can be defeated by a combination of determination and ingenuity.
I was thinking the same thing - wife should be applauded and honored that, due to her determination and ingenuity - she was able to do the nearly impossible: fit a large hose into a small hole without leaking toxic liquid all over :D

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:54 pm

My wife told me to tell you we like the way you think...
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 am
I was always of the belief that the nozzle would not fit. Apparently it can...
Several years I tried putting diesal in my regular car, but the nozzle dd not fit! Glad it didn’t!

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 pm

I too didn't know you could do this as the nozzle is larger on Diesel than on gas and wouldn't fit. You got it to the right place, they've seen this before. Expect $400.00-$500.00 at the least. Pay the bill, move on in life with the more important stuff at the moment.

thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 pm

As a vehicle engineer I don't think the damage will be too much.

I suggest you get a vacuum pump (Harbor Freight $20) and get all the diesel out. Leave the gas cap open and flap open for 4-5 hours in the hot sun. Pour in a gallon of gas mixed with a large bottle of Techron. I think the car will start in 8-10 cranks.

I've seen all kinds of fuel used in engines... You should be fine, definitely not $1000

anticrastinator

Post by anticrastinator » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:34 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:00 pm
Be happy that she did not add gasoline to a diesel car as that will be catastrophic to the diesel engine.
Did that when I lived in Europe. Filled up my Ford Fiesta 1.6D then noticed the price was too high for diesel (yes, diesel was cheaper). There was nobody around to help, before cell phone era, I had to remove the hose from the tire pump and siphon some of the gasoline out, then suck out the rest when I couldn’t siphon any more due to the length of the hose. I then filled up with diesel and drove away. Car drove like a champ for maybe 20-30k more, then I sold it. Was still running great years after. And no oral cancer yet, it’s been like 30 years now. 😊
Last edited by anticrastinator on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 pm

What happens when you put corn fuel in a non-corn fuel vehicle? I accidentally put a gallon in my vehicle but then filled it the rest of the way with 87 grade. I hope it didn't damage the engine...

Of course, this was in Nebraska where they really push the corn fuel hard.

Clumsum

Post by Clumsum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 pm

All the pump nozzles in the truck lanes at truck stops
Are bigger nozzles. However, the nozzles for diesels at the gas pumps are smaller and wil fit in cars. I had an employee put Dep fluid on a diesel. That’s about a 15-20k mistake. That is really bad. Injectors, valves, drain tank. Very caustic

GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:04 pm

BTW, it's not "my wife did it", it's "we did it". It's only "my wife did it" when there is a good outcome. :D

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:06 pm

I would do this job myself. Drain the tank completely and pull the fuse for the fuel pump. Disconnect the cat if it's not welded in. Crank the engine for 30 seconds to purge the injectors. Put in a couple gallons of gas, and replace the fuel pump fuse. Switch to on, wait on the injectors to pressurize, then start. Change the oil because you dumped unburned diesel into the engine. Save the diesel for the next bonfire because the redneck behavior is not fully completed, not yet.

drk

Post by drk » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:12 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am
OP here. I am the one who puts gas in our car most of the time, but my wife is out of town and had to get gas. I told her that I didn't think the diesel nozzle would fit the gas tank. She said that she noticed it didn't fit just right, but she was able to get it in. I was pretty upset with her at first because I just couldn't understand how she could do such a thing. I have since learned that this is fairly common.
Working in software, I’ve come to recognize a maxim: user error is always the result of a design flaw. Your wife unfortunately found that flaw.

Mordoch

Post by Mordoch » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm

fortfun wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 pm
What happens when you put corn fuel in a non-corn fuel vehicle? I accidentally put a gallon in my vehicle but then filled it the rest of the way with 87 grade. I hope it didn't damage the engine...

Realistically the answer would likely be very little if it did anything at all, especially if you use it reasonably quickly. Cars from model years 2001 and later are supposed to be able to take E15 gas, so assuming you filled it the rest of the way with what should be E10 (basically the default in the US), you are pretty close to what it is supposed to be able to take anyways. If you just did this and want to be extra safe, you could refill it with regular gas when the tank is just half full or the like to further dilute any extra ethanol.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:43 pm

Mordoch wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm
fortfun wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Realistically the answer would likely be very little if it did anything at all, especially if you use it reasonably quickly. Cars from model years 2001 and later are supposed to be able to take E15 gas, so assuming you filled it the rest of the way with what should be E10 (basically the default in the US), you are pretty close to what it is supposed to be able to take anyways. If you just did this and want to be extra safe, you could refill it with regular gas when the tank is just half full or the like to further dilute any extra ethanol.
Oh good! Thanks.

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Teague wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:27 pm
If the fuel lines aren't purged of diesel I don't see how it's expected to start. Even then, that would be a pretty iffy way to (try to) get it to run.
Older fuel injection systems have a two fuel line setup: The pump runs at a constant rate filling the feed line. The fuel pressure regulator bleeds off excess fuel via the return line. Thus, quite quickly the fuel lines are flushed of old fuel. As long as the gas tank contains mostly gasoline, the residual diesel will get suitably diluted.

Recent systems may have a single fuel line. The fuel pump is modulated to match engine demand. This is done for emissions reasons - splashing the returned gas into the tank causes fuel vapors.

The above may explain why a friend of a friend's older car was fine after only draining the tank, while a late model car cost four figures to rehabilitate.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 am

boomer_techie wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm
Teague wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:27 pm
If the fuel lines aren't purged of diesel I don't see how it's expected to start. Even then, that would be a pretty iffy way to (try to) get it to run.
Older fuel injection systems have a two fuel line setup: The pump runs at a constant rate filling the feed line. The fuel pressure regulator bleeds off excess fuel via the return line. Thus, quite quickly the fuel lines are flushed of old fuel. As long as the gas tank contains mostly gasoline, the residual diesel will get suitably diluted.

Recent systems may have a single fuel line. The fuel pump is modulated to match engine demand. This is done for emissions reasons - splashing the returned gas into the tank causes fuel vapors.

The above may explain why a friend of a friend's older car was fine after only draining the tank, while a late model car cost four figures to rehabilitate.
Thanks!
Semper Augustus

khh

Post by khh » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:34 am

Just be glad it wasn't a Tesla.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 am

I had never accidentally attempted to fill my gas-engine car with diesel until last week. The nozzle wouldn't fit. I guess I didn't try hard enough.

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:55 am

My daughter filled her rx350 with diesel once. And it died on I-94 in downtown Chicago. Got AAA to tow it to McGrath and they flushed out the tank and the engine. Towing was free, flushing was $500 plus the cost of a full tank of diesel......

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:55 am

Duplicate

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:56 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm
The diesel nozzle is bigger to stop people putting diesel where gasoline should be. It works most of the time. But it can be defeated by a combination of determination and ingenuity.

I worked on systems where all the connectors were different to prevent cross connections. I still read accident reports that described how a cross connection was an intermediate cause. Determination, ingenuity and a wee bit less training than might have been desired. We gave up on designing foolproof systems and worked on designing more foolproof systems.
"Normal Accidents" by Charles Perrow?

The complexity of safety systems in turn creates its own risk of failure -- the Three Mile Island nuclear disaster. Also William Langeswische's article in The Atlantic about the Valuejet crash in the Florida everglades (which is where I first learned of Perrow's theories).

On the level of human circuitry, at the societal level, I suspect the Internet is breaking down. Turns out it's easier to keep a lie going than it is to tell the truth. WhatsAp lynchings in India, etc.

red5

Post by red5 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 am

StrangePenguin wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
MathWizard wrote:
neilpilot wrote:

When we last drove in France in March 2017, the pumps were marked “Unleaded” and “Diesel”. However, there was supposed to be a change last fall:

I never saw anything else. I was not filling up in large cities, and mainly avoided them.
That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM
It depends on the gas station. Some labels clearly with the word Diesel. Some has Gazole and 3 different types of gas there, but not with the exact word diesel. We asked some French people with some English knowledge and they were even confused. This is Southern France near Sarlat, not in Paris.
When I lived in France (5 years ago), Diesel was definitely labeled as gazole. I attributed that to the strong desire of the French to never use any German word (or in this case, name) if at all possible :wink: . I think regular gas was labeled "sans plomb" meaning "without lead".

When we lived in Germany 15 years ago we took a trip to Italy in a rental car. Stopped for fuel at a gas station and assumed gasolio was the correct pump to use. Fortunately the pump would not fit into the car; it was to big. We had an Italian/English translation book and looked up Gasolio to find out that this was the Diesel pump. SOOO glad the pump was to big to fit int he car.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:37 am

red5 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 am
StrangePenguin wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
MathWizard wrote:

That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM

When we lived in Germany 15 years ago we took a trip to Italy in a rental car. Stopped for fuel at a gas station and assumed gasolio was the correct pump to use. Fortunately the pump would not fit into the car; it was to big. We had an Italian/English translation book and looked up Gasolio to find out that this was the Diesel pump. SOOO glad the pump was to big to fit int he car.
Someone else had PM'd me about this, and yes, it was the "Gasolio"... it's spelled "G-A-S-..." after all...
Fortunately, in my driving around UK for a year, and France for several weeks, I apparently never noticed that signage. Or perhaps I was warned by colleagues (and maybe that's how I even knew about this?).

At least there wasn't catastrophic damage to the engine in this case.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 am

Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm
The main thing is when your sibling is sick like that and you are giving care, you are not right in the head.

There is a saying, an incantation, whenever someone is rude to me or cold or difficult "Be kind. For we are all fighting a great battle". I find it very helpful in understanding my spouse (or myself) at times of great stress.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/06/29/be-kind/
Thanks Valuethinker for your kind words. Yes, I think part of the reason my wife made this mistake is because she is all stressed out with trying to take care of her sick sister 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's just too much for her to do at her age. She had to go to the emergency room a few days ago because she was having an anxiety attack. We all make mistakes.
Can she get someone to spell her for half a day once a week, maybe for a whole eight hours? 100% caregiving is terribly stressful.

spitty

Post by spitty » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:20 am

Clumsum wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 pm
Are bigger nozzles. However, the nozzles for diesels at the gas pumps are smaller and wil fit in cars. I had an employee put Dep fluid on a diesel. That’s about a 15-20k mistake. That is really bad. Injectors, valves, drain tank. Very caustic
Assuming you meant DEF fluid? If not, what is Dep?

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:49 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:37 am
red5 wrote:
StrangePenguin wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM

Someone else had PM'd me about this, and yes, it was the "Gasolio"... it's spelled "G-A-S-..." after all...
Fortunately, in my driving around UK for a year, and France for several weeks, I apparently never noticed that signage. Or perhaps I was warned by colleagues (and maybe that's how I even knew about this?).

At least there wasn't catastrophic damage to the engine in this case.

RM
Ahh that fits.

Because "gasoil" is what heating fuel is called here in the United Kingdom (or at least one name). It is basically the same as diesel fuel (or a thick grade of same) but not allowed for transport uses (and therefore paying no tax). "Red diesel" is what the farmers use for their tractors etc. and it has a dye marker so they can determine if any has been siphoned into cars.

So French gazole, Italian gasolio. That would make sense.

If you Americans correctly referred to gas as "petrol", and gas was what heats your home, then you would not have these problems ;-).

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:55 am

Clumsum wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 pm
Are bigger nozzles. However, the nozzles for diesels at the gas pumps are smaller and wil fit in cars.
This is partially true. The ones in the truck lanes are GIANT, probably 1.25", with a flange at the end making them even wider. My car came with an adapter funnel that can be put into the fuel filler tube to allow the use of these.

But the ones in the car lanes are ALSO bigger, just not anywhere near that size. At 15/16" in diameter, they are designed to not fit into the fill tube of a car that requires unleaded gasoline, which is 13/16". Here's more detail from AAA: https://exchange.aaa.com/common-myths-fuel-pumps/
  • Large-diameter filler pipes are usually found at truck stop diesel pumps where they are used to quickly fill high-volume semi-truck fuel tanks. A special adapter is required to use this size nozzle with most diesel passenger cars and light trucks.
  • Medium-diameter filler pipes are used to deliver diesel at passenger-car fuel stations. This size helps prevent fueling errors, because it is too large to fit through the unleaded fuel filler opening.
  • Small-diameter filler pipes are used to deliver unleaded gasoline, but can also fit into the filler opening on many diesel vehicles. Some newer diesel models have a device in the filler neck that prevents a smaller gasoline nozzle from being inserted.

BuyandHold37

Post by BuyandHold37 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 am

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 am
I'm curious how one actually accomplishes this. Diesel pump nozzles have a greater diameter than petrol ones, for exactly this reason. They're expressly designed to NOT fit into the filler tube. Conversely, my car, which is a diesel, has "latches" on either side of the tube, both of which must be depressed in order for the internal door to open. A gasoline nozzle will depress one at most, and stop when it hits the inner door, while a diesel nozzle depresses both and goes in normally.

I'm envisioning someone standing there holding the pump with just the very tip of the nozzle inside the filler funnel, because it won't go in far enough to hold itself. :P
At truck stops or at stations that get a good bit of commercial traffic, yes, the high speed pumps do have the larger diameter nozzle, but plenty of places have diesel pumps that are the same size and diameter as regular unleaded.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:44 am

A further complication in Europe is gas mixed with oil for 2 cycle engines. My brother in law filled up their rental car before returning it, and didn't make it back to the airport. Surprisingly, the rental company came and got them, and didn't complain at all about the mix-up.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:17 pm

BuyandHold37 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 am
At truck stops or at stations that get a good bit of commercial traffic, yes, the high speed pumps do have the larger diameter nozzle, but plenty of places have diesel pumps that are the same size and diameter as regular unleaded.
This has not been my experience, and I use these pumps on a weekly basis. They're close, but not the same (15/16" vs. 13/16"). Please see my expanded post right above yours.

Due to the design of my car, if I were ever at a station where the diesel nozzle was the same size and diameter as regular unleaded, I would be unable to refuel my car. This has never happened in 205 refuelings in six states over an eight year span. I have twice had to use the adapter funnel to fill from the high-speed pumps designed for big rigs. But those are VERY different. The other 203 times, the nozzle has been the "medium size" described in the information I quoted from AAA above.

Topic Author
Abe

Post by Abe » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:20 pm

OP here. I just got off the phone with the Toyota people. They say our car is fixed. They test drove it and said everything is okay. They're even sending a shuttle to pick up my wife so she can pick up our car. This is what it cost. I owe Toyota $366.77 plus I paid the wrecker service $72.00, so the grand total is $438.77. I guess I came out pretty good. It could of been a lot worse. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help.
Slow and steady wins the race.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Abe wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:20 pm
OP here. I just got off the phone with the Toyota people. They say our car is fixed. They test drove it and said everything is okay. They're even sending a shuttle to pick up my wife so she can pick up our car. This is what it cost. I owe Toyota $366.77 plus I paid the wrecker service $72.00, so the grand total is $438.77. I guess I came out pretty good. It could of been a lot worse. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help.
That's a great outcome, thanks for updating us!

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Good news indeed!

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:30 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:17 am
Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm
Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm
The main thing is when your sibling is sick like that and you are giving care, you are not right in the head.

There is a saying, an incantation, whenever someone is rude to me or cold or difficult "Be kind. For we are all fighting a great battle". I find it very helpful in understanding my spouse (or myself) at times of great stress.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/06/29/be-kind/
Thanks Valuethinker for your kind words. Yes, I think part of the reason my wife made this mistake is because she is all stressed out with trying to take care of her sick sister 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's just too much for her to do at her age. She had to go to the emergency room a few days ago because she was having an anxiety attack. We all make mistakes.
Can she get someone to spell her for half a day once a week, maybe for a whole eight hours? 100% caregiving is terribly stressful.
+1
It sounds like she could use some help there.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Abe wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:20 pm
This is very good news. Thanks for the update.

wilked

Post by wilked » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:51 pm

I like to think of myself as of above-average intelligence, masters in engineering, done well in the world. I am also absent minded (ie mind is not always on task). I filled up my car with diesel one day. Yes, the nozzle didn't fit. I remember thinking it was odd, but plowed right ahead as my mind was busy on something else. If you would have asked me beforehand if it was possible for me to do it I would have said no, but there you have it. A couple of things:

-If my wife did this I would probably be very mad at her. I try and remember these things from time to time, and not be so harsh on others for making mistakes, even seemingly obvious ones.
-The car ran fine after, no issues. Drove for many years.
-I think it cost a couple hundred...this was > 10 years ago

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Not bad on repair cost considering it could have been much worse especially at a dealer.

As someone else suggested I would try calling your insurance agent to see if the fueling accident might be covered under comprehensive or other category? It would not hurt to ask.

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
MathWizard wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm

I've also heard that in Europe, there are diesel pumps with markings that include the letters "GAS". Is this correct?

RM

That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM
I'm sure I've seen Gasoil and Petrol for Diesel and Gasoline somewhere sometime. Lived in the UK in the late 80s and drove around the continent a lot so not exactly sure where that may have been.

spectec

Post by spectec » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:23 am

--> So French gazole, Italian gasolio. That would make sense.

If you Americans correctly referred to gas as "petrol", and gas was what heats your home, then you would not have these problems ;-). -->

That's why the British and Americans continue to be a people divided by a common language. :happy
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:19 pm

red5 wrote:
StrangePenguin wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
MathWizard wrote:

That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM
Gasoil (or gas oil) is also an English word for what's basically diesel fuel. But the word isn't used for obvious reasons for road diesel fuel, especially since what British English calls 'petrol' is called gasoline or gas in American English. The word is sometimes used to refer to home heating oil, ship's light distillate fuel or fuel for off road equipment but basically means diesel fuel give or take specific requirements like ultra low sulfur requirements for road diesel now.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:21 pm

I'm really not sure how someone could accidentally fill their gas tank with diesel in the first place...

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:25 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:21 pm
I'm really not sure how someone could accidentally fill their gas tank with diesel in the first place...
Have you read the above posts?

Several others report making the same mistake, sometimes when distracted, etc.

Why is that something you have trouble comprehending?
(*You* may think you'd be more careful, but some of the posters reported that they, too, had felt that way, until...)

:confused

ETA: I find the experience reported to be a good "heads up" for all of us. Or for me, at least!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:35 pm

khh wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:34 am
Just be glad it wasn't a Tesla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZ9po7GGQA
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:58 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:25 pm
SuperGrafx wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Have you read the above posts?

Several others report making the same mistake, sometimes when distracted, etc.

Why is that something you have trouble comprehending?
(*You* may think you'd be more careful, but some of the posters reported that they, too, had felt that way, until...)

:confused

ETA: I find the experience reported to be a good "heads up" for all of us. Or for me, at least!

RM
Personally I think it's a symptom of today's society...too distracted with their phones, iWatches, etc to be focused on simple tasks.

Carry on.

furnace

Post by furnace » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:30 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 pm
need to suck all diesel out 1st. Then fill up a full tank gasoline. Done.
I agree, this should not have to cost $1k. Pump the diesel out, refill with gasoline. Drive until nearly empty, then refill again. After two tanks, the car should be back to normal.