Wife filled our gas engine car with diesel fuel

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Abe

Wife filled our gas engine car with diesel fuel

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:21 am

My wife is in another state trying to take care of her only sister who has cancer. She called me yesterday. She had filled our car up with diesel, and after driving about three blocks the car quit running and she was stranded on the side of the road. I called a wrecker and they took the car to the nearest Toyota service center. The wrecker charged $72.00 which I thought was reasonable. The Toyota place called this morning and said the absolute minimum cost would be 2 hours labor at $112.00 per hour but it could be more and I imagine it will be. I was just wondering if anyone here has had this happen to them, and I would appreciate any suggestions or advice regarding what I should do.
edited to add: I guess my main concern is will this damage the engine. I only have 20k miles on the car.
Slow and steady wins the race.

spectec

Re: Wife filled our gas engine car with diesel fuel

Post by spectec » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 am

Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Topic Author
Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:33 am

Okay, thanks spectec. That pretty much answered my questions. According to the article, normally there is no permanent damage to the engine.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am

No help for your question, but maybe some empathy/sympathy for your wife - I almost did this twice in the last month!

Each time, I was using a gas station that uses a green color scheme on their pumps/station. Diesel full pumps usually (always?) have a green handle and I think green color scheme threw me off. I had to actually think about which pump handle to pick up - in fact, the first time I almost picked the green one! Usually, it's just automatic to pick up the non-green one.

Hope it all works out OK.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am

spectec wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 am
Here's a pretty good explanation:

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/dear-car- ... el-gas-car
That is a very good summary article !!
I have seen this with a boat not a car but the engines are similar.
Draining all fuel, cleaning all ,lines, R & R injectors and purge and maybe the plugs will be time consuming.
I would be prepared for costs above $1,000 or so dependent upon the car.
Consider if you need/want to call your insurance company.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:41 am

We almost did this in France, not understanding some of the language at the gas station. Usually there’s a word Diesel somewhere but we didn’t see it, asking around didn’t help, French people were even more confused, and we were very low in gas. Also what added to the fear was my husband said he heard the engine knocking sound. But when we returned the car to the rental place, they did tell us, you can’t put diesel nozzle in non-diesel car, the car design won’t allow it. I hope that’s true. But I’m glad we never did. But I know now if we did put diesel in, we need to drain the gas tank somehow, not driving further.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:44 am

smitcat wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am
spectec wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 am
Here's a pretty good explanation:

https://www.cartalk.com/blogs/dear-car- ... el-gas-car
That is a very good summary article !!
I have seen this with a boat not a car but the engines are similar.
Draining all fuel, cleaning all ,lines, R & R injectors and purge and maybe the plugs will be time consuming.
I would be prepared for costs above $1,000 or so dependent upon the car.
Consider if you need/want to call your insurance company.
That would be consistent with my understanding - it's a major cleanout of the engine.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 am

I was always of the belief that the nozzle would not fit. Apparently it can...
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 am

I'm curious how one actually accomplishes this. Diesel pump nozzles have a greater diameter than petrol ones, for exactly this reason. They're expressly designed to NOT fit into the filler tube. Conversely, my car, which is a diesel, has "latches" on either side of the tube, both of which must be depressed in order for the internal door to open. A gasoline nozzle will depress one at most, and stop when it hits the inner door, while a diesel nozzle depresses both and goes in normally.

I'm envisioning someone standing there holding the pump with just the very tip of the nozzle inside the filler funnel, because it won't go in far enough to hold itself. :P

jucor

Post by jucor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:52 am

Assuming this is a car made in the past 20 years I'm wondering how she managed to do this -- in the U.S. diesel filler nozzles are larger diameter than the fuel input hole in gas-powered cars. To actually fill the tank with diesel would be pretty tough. Was this a main-line gas station? What state? It is possible the station has the incorrect nozzles on their diesel pumps -- perhaps worth checking and seeing if this is the case and if the pumps are clearly marked -- perhaps you might be able get the station to reimburse you if their pumps or nozzles are poorly/incorrectly marked.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:54 am

Like the article said, its not going to destroy your engine. The dealership will need to drain, flush lines, replace things, etc etc. It will probably be $700 or so.

Topic Author
Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:46 am
I'm curious how one actually accomplishes this. Diesel pump nozzles have a greater diameter than petrol ones, for exactly this reason. They're expressly designed to NOT fit into the filler tube. Conversely, my car, which is a diesel, has "latches" on either side of the tube, both of which must be depressed in order for the internal door to open. A gasoline nozzle will depress one at most, and stop when it hits the inner door, while a diesel nozzle depresses both and goes in normally.

I'm envisioning someone standing there holding the pump with just the very tip of the nozzle inside the filler funnel, because it won't go in far enough to hold itself. :P
OP here. I am the one who puts gas in our car most of the time, but my wife is out of town and had to get gas. I told her that I didn't think the diesel nozzle would fit the gas tank. She said that she noticed it didn't fit just right, but she was able to get it in. I was pretty upset with her at first because I just couldn't understand how she could do such a thing. I have since learned that this is fairly common.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:21 am
My wife is in another state trying to take care of her only sister who has cancer. She called me yesterday. She had filled our car up with diesel, and after driving about three blocks the car quit running and she was stranded on the side of the road. I called a wrecker and they took the car to the nearest Toyota service center. The wrecker charged $72.00 which I thought was reasonable. The Toyota place called this morning and said the absolute minimum cost would be 2 hours labor at $112.00 per hour but it could be more and I imagine it will be. I was just wondering if anyone here has had this happen to them, and I would appreciate any suggestions or advice regarding what I should do.
edited to add: I guess my main concern is will this damage the engine. I only have 20k miles on the car.
My sense is it is going to hurt - as per the other poster you should definitely contact your insurer.

The full cleanout with detergents etc. will not be cheap. Best to get on with it and we feel your pain. In Europe roughly half the cars are diesels (more in France, less in Sweden) although diesel sales are falling post VW revelations and tightening of urban air pollution rules (Nitrous Oxide, and the health issues of PM 2.5 particles turn out to be a lot worse than we thought). But for the UK, say, it must be c. 40% cars on the road.

The nozzles have a different shape (diesel v. petrol/ gasoline) but even so, it happens. Especially with rental cars.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am
lazydavid wrote:

OP here. I am the one who puts gas in our car most of the time, but my wife is out of town and had to get gas. I told her that I didn't think the diesel nozzle would fit the gas tank. She said that she noticed it didn't fit just right, but she was able to get it in. I was pretty upset with her at first because I just couldn't understand how she could do such a thing. I have since learned that this is fairly common.
The main thing is when your sibling is sick like that and you are giving care, you are not right in the head.

There is a saying, an incantation, whenever someone is rude to me or cold or difficult "Be kind. For we are all fighting a great battle". I find it very helpful in understanding my spouse (or myself) at times of great stress.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/06/29/be-kind/

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Abe wrote:
lazydavid wrote:

Yeah, DW's aunt did this several years ago with a nearly new Lexus. As I recall the costs were ~$1000. Good luck.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm

Although I sure hope neither of us does this, I found it reassuring that the "damage" isn't permanent, and would cost somewhere in the $1k figure.

I had always assumed the worst... that a new engine would be in the crystal ball...

But I also was among those who thought the nozzle simply would NOT fit.
Why do they make them so they "almost, sort of" fit?

Very interesting.

I've also heard that in Europe, there are diesel pumps with markings that include the letters "GAS". Is this correct?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Well if it’s any consolation, my husband’s best friend wife also did put diesel in her car, this story came up after we told him about our distress with finding non diesel gas. He had to drain the gasoline out.

Topic Author
Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm
The main thing is when your sibling is sick like that and you are giving care, you are not right in the head.

There is a saying, an incantation, whenever someone is rude to me or cold or difficult "Be kind. For we are all fighting a great battle". I find it very helpful in understanding my spouse (or myself) at times of great stress.
Thanks Valuethinker for your kind words. Yes, I think part of the reason my wife made this mistake is because she is all stressed out with trying to take care of her sick sister 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's just too much for her to do at her age. She had to go to the emergency room a few days ago because she was having an anxiety attack. We all make mistakes.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:33 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm

I've also heard that in Europe, there are diesel pumps with markings that include the letters "GAS". Is this correct?

RM
When we last drove in France in March 2017, the pumps were marked “Unleaded” and “Diesel”. However, there was supposed to be a change last fall:
https://www.thelocal.fr/20181011/what-y ... ump-labels

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm

ResearchMed wrote:

I know -- you'd it would be binary...

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm

+ 1000

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:06 pm
Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:21 am
My sense is it is going to hurt - as per the other poster you should definitely contact your insurer.

The full cleanout with detergents etc. will not be cheap. Best to get on with it and we feel your pain. In Europe roughly half the cars are diesels (more in France, less in Sweden) although diesel sales are falling post VW revelations and tightening of urban air pollution rules (Nitrous Oxide, and the health issues of PM 2.5 particles turn out to be a lot worse than we thought). But for the UK, say, it must be c. 40% cars on the road.

The nozzles have a different shape (diesel v. petrol/ gasoline) but even so, it happens. Especially with rental cars.
What "peril" would cover this and whats the deductible? Probably not Collision, maybe Comprehensive unless excluded. Sounds like a read of the policy is in order.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am
No help for your question, but maybe some empathy/sympathy for your wife - I almost did this twice in the last month!

Each time, I was using a gas station that uses a green color scheme on their pumps/station. Diesel full pumps usually (always?) have a green handle and I think green color scheme threw me off. I had to actually think about which pump handle to pick up - in fact, the first time I almost picked the green one! Usually, it's just automatic to pick up the non-green one.

Hope it all works out OK.
Probably a BP station.

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I do have a relative who accidentally put Diesel in their Prius one time.

I sympathized with their plight, but still chuckle every time I think of the irony.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:33 pm
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
When we last drove in France in March 2017, the pumps were marked “Unleaded” and “Diesel”. However, there was supposed to be a change last fall:
When I drove in France, (2012) all I saw was Gazole (diesel).

I never saw anything else. I was not filling up in large cities, and mainly avoided them.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:10 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm
neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

RM

I never saw anything else. I was not filling up in large cities, and mainly avoided them.
Ah, maybe it was "Gazole" that some others had reported "assuming" was "gaS".
That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:08 pm

StandingRock wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 pm
Probably a BP station.
The second time definitely was BP. :happy The first time was a grocery store pump. Not sure what it was, but there was a lot of green on and around the pump.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:17 pm

I know several people who’ve put gas in their Diesel tank. Usually at a BP station. It’s a $1000-1200 fix.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:22 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
When I was young, this was always the case. However diesel became popular in passenger vehicles since then and they made an intermediate nozzle that is slightly bigger than the gasoline version but not as big as the semi rig filling version.

akron1977

Post by akron1977 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Not every state requires that the nozzle sizes be different.............ask me how I know..........

Topic Author
Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I'll update when I get the final tally.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm
Since she is away from home please make sure that someone test drives the car for a good number of miles before declaring it fixed - preferably before they release the car totally from the repair center.
Should the diesel removal and purge not be done completely the car will again fail in a few miles.
Removing 'much' of the diesel and then filling with gas is not a total solution.
Good luck

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:10 pm
MathWizard wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:08 pm
neilpilot wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

RM

Ah, maybe it was "Gazole" that some others had reported "assuming" was "gaS".
That could be it.
Not amusing, obviously.

RM
It depends on the gas station. Some labels clearly with the word Diesel. Some has Gazole and 3 different types of gas there, but not with the exact word diesel. We asked some French people with some English knowledge and they were even confused. This is Southern France near Sarlat, not in Paris.

Topic Author
Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm

smitcat wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:16 pm
Abe wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:51 pm
Since she is away from home please make sure that someone test drives the car for a good number of miles before declaring it fixed - preferably before they release the car totally from the repair center.
Should the diesel removal and purge not be done completely the car will again fail in a few miles.
Removing 'much' of the diesel and then filling with gas is not a total solution.
Good luck
Okay thanks.

marshall

Post by marshall » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Contact your auto insurer. If you have comprehensive coverage (most of us do), mis-fueling may be a covered loss.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Expensive but better than putting gasoline in a diesel engine.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm

spectec wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm

I sympathized with their plight, but still chuckle every time I think of the irony.
Can you help a slow person out? I'm not understanding the irony.

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm

nick evets wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Just curious, exactly what were you trying to say?

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

spectec

Post by spectec » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:23 pm

NewPhoneWhoDis wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:08 pm
spectec wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm

Can you help a slow person out? I'm not understanding the irony.
I don't want to violate board guidelines so I must be careful how I answer you. If you'll google something such as "Prius Jokes" you might get some insight into my thinking. (And just to be clear, I'm also poking a little fun at myself because one of our cars is a Lexus hybrid.)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm

Parthenon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm
nick evets wrote:

Ed
I assumed his answer to me meant that "... you'd THINK it would be binary".
Meaning, the nozzle either would or would not fit, but not "sort of fit funny", etc.

RM

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Diesel and gasoline are both complex mixtures of chemicals. All of those chemicals occur in small concentration in some version of each. While the purge has to be done correctly to get most of the diesel out of nooks and crannies it does not require heroic efforts to remove every last trace. Small amounts of diesel dissolved in large amounts of gasoline will not cause problems. We are not talking T stoff and C stoff levels of separation.

oko

Post by oko » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Years ago when I read similar stories, I wondered "how can someone do this???". One day, I was away from home, family, traveling to some place which I really don't like, for business, and my head was fill of things, worries etc. I tried to insert the nuzzle to my own car and wondered why it did not fit? Maybe because I am in another city?

That day I decided not to critisize anyone for stupid mistakes. But I still do :-(.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 pm

Abe wrote:
lazydavid wrote:

Good to know that actually can happen. I always assumed the same. I thought the whole point of the deisel nozzel being bigger is to prevent this exact issue. IF not, then where is the failsafe to prevent such an easily confused issue? You would think in the DECADES of having regular and deisel one would have thought of a simple failsafe.. IF the nozzle size is not the reason then why is the diesel nozzel bigger?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 pm

need to suck all diesel out 1st. Then fill up a full tank gasoline. Done.

ericmc

Post by ericmc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 pm

My wife once did this on a brand new car (2007), first time she filled it was with diesel. She did say it was difficult to fit the nozzle... We had the car towed to our mechanic. They only needed to drain the diesel and fill with gasoline. No long term damage and a lesson learned.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm

The diesel nozzle is bigger to stop people putting diesel where gasoline should be. It works most of the time. But it can be defeated by a combination of determination and ingenuity.

I worked on systems where all the connectors were different to prevent cross connections. I still read accident reports that described how a cross connection was an intermediate cause. Determination, ingenuity and a wee bit less training than might have been desired. We gave up on designing foolproof systems and worked on designing more foolproof systems.

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:18 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm
Parthenon wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm
nick evets wrote:

Ed
I assumed his answer to me meant that "... you'd THINK it would be binary".
Meaning, the nozzle either would or would not fit, but not "sort of fit funny", etc.

RM
Yes, exactly -- thanks. (Typing too quickly). I'm curious now, and next time I fill up will see what the fit is like. I'm also interested in confirmation that the reduced filling aperture was designed to prevent autos running on unleaded gasoline from filling with leaded, so the diesel nozzle diameter leveraged an existing fail-safe.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:27 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 pm
need to suck all diesel out 1st. Then fill up a full tank gasoline. Done.
Really, that's it? I'd think you'd at least have to depressurize the injector rail, run the fuel pump to clear remaining diesel in the lines, reconnect fuel system, and then hope it eventually starts after a whole bunch of cranking. If the fuel lines aren't purged of diesel I don't see how it's expected to start. Even then, that would be a pretty iffy way to (try to) get it to run. Hard on starter and catalytic converter at a minimum. Remember, this car was driven until it had stalled from the diesel.
Semper Augustus

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 pm

If she add diesel and havn't start the car yet, the diesel is not in fuel pump and gas line yet. She she start the car, then need to get the diesel out of gas line. Anyway, it hasn't damaged the engine yet. Just step by step to clear it out.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:59 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:55 pm
If she add diesel and havn't start the car yet, the diesel is not in fuel pump and gas line yet. She she start the car, then need to get the diesel out of gas line. Anyway, it hasn't damaged the engine yet. Just step by step to clear it out.
OP said she drove it several blocks until it died.