Refrigerator Issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SVariance1

Refrigerator Issues

Post by SVariance1 »

I was wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on the following situation. I have an old subzero with a freezer that occasionally will not stay cold enough to keep ice cream frozen. Actually, only the top half of the freezer will not stay cold enough. All of the pull out drawers work well. This has been going on for about 1.5 years. I had a repair guy come out to look at it and he said, the compressor and other parts would need to be replaced. Each time I start looking for new refrigerators, the darn freezer starts working again and this time it lasted for two months.

Any thoughts?
Mike
jebmke

Re: Refrigerator Issues

Post by jebmke »

Make a monthly trip to the appliance store? :P
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

It could be that the defrost cycle is not being triggered often enough. OR that there are circulating fans that periodically get stuck.

I'm guessing there are two bad choice for a subzero that needs a compressor. Expensive replacement of the compressor or expensive replacement of the refrigerator.
corysold

Post by corysold »

Replacement would probably be much cheaper than a new fridge, especially if you go with Subzero again.

We have built in style fridge and freezer, had an issue once and the repair guy said we could keep it running for 100 years by replacing parts before we'd spend as much as replacement.

Whether you like the look and would rather have a new fridge is a different issue.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

I'm guessing you or the repair person has already tried vacuuming the condenser. This is necessary with Sub-Zeros every six months or so or they won't operate properly.

If your Sub-Zero is 20 or more years old, it might be time for a replacement. But, they can and do last longer than that, just need to replace some parts once in awhile. We are replacing one that has been running for 19 years only because we are completely gutting the kitchen and it won't be the right style for the new kitchen. Has had some expensive repairs, but looks like new inside and runs fine.

Is your repairman certified/trained to repair Sub-Zeros? If not, I would find one who is and see what they say. Get a price for the repair. New Sub-Zeros $8-10K.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

MarkerFM wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:20 pm I'm guessing you or the repair person has already tried vacuuming the condenser. This is necessary with Sub-Zeros every six months or so or they won't operate properly.

If your Sub-Zero is 20 or more years old, it might be time for a replacement. But, they can and do last longer than that, just need to replace some parts once in awhile. We are replacing one that has been running for 19 years only because we are completely gutting the kitchen and it won't be the right style for the new kitchen. Has had some expensive repairs, but looks like new inside and runs fine.

Is your repairman certified/trained to repair Sub-Zeros? If not, I would find one who is and see what they say. Get a price for the repair. New Sub-Zeros $8-10K.
I do not know if he tried to vacuum the condenser. I get it serviced periodically and they use a vacuum. The weird thing is when it is working, and you open and close the door, you hear a noise in the compressor area ( it is doing something). When the freezer is not working well, you hear silence when you open and shut the door. This sub zero is 30 years old.
Mike
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

We had an old "Cold Spot" fridge that we got from my in-laws many years ago. It was from the late 1950's. Symptoms that you describe were very similar to ours. It would work fine for a few weeks.........then it would go on a blink. Eventually realized that it was probably costing us more in energy......finally replaced it with a newer Maytag.

It was sitting in the garage ready to haul to the trash when our roofing contractor came by one day and said........"I Want to buy that"......got $50.00 for it...... :sharebeer .
clockman323

Post by clockman323 »

We sometimes have weird temperature variations in our built-in kitchen refrigerator. I bought an AcuRite 00986M remote sensing temperature monitor. The display is a few feet away so I can continuously monitor both the temps in the freezer and refrigerator sides. It also displays min/max variations.

Maybe you could put both sides in the freezer compartment.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I would defrost the fridge, I had similar issue and the cooling channel was frozen with ice. I took a hair dryer to it.
goGators

Post by goGators »

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

30 years old? Sounds to me like it is well past time for a new refrigerator.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

goGators wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:09 am Check freezer door gasket.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Acm_MaEF4
It seems like the gasket would be the issue but it looks fine to me. I do not see any tears in it. The repair guy did not mention the gasket. I repair guy took the temperature of the freezer and told me the obvious: the freezer is not cold enough. He blamed it on the compressor. Do compressors die and then come back to life?
Mike
goGators

Post by goGators »

SVariance1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm ...
Do compressors die and then come back to life?
Assume that the compressor died, would the entire unit become warm? But you stated
SVariance1 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm ...
Actually, only the top half of the freezer will not stay cold enough. All of the pull out drawers work well.
You might also want to take a look at this list
https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp ... t-freezing
vaught

Post by vaught »

I also have a sub-zero and had the same issue. My fan motor went out in my freezer. Also a side by side so the freezer portion goes from floor to ceiling. The technician knew immediately because the top of my freezer was warm and some food had begun to spoil. Yet the bottom part of my fridge was ice cold and even had some still frozen ice packs.

To prove it, he put one of the ice packs on the top shelf while he ordered the replacement motor and by the next day that ice pack was liquid while the ice packs at bottom of freezer were still frozen.

I don't remember exact cost but it was a fairly cheap part compared to other parts and a quick fix by the repair man.
Topic Author
SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 »

vaught wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm I also have a sub-zero and had the same issue. My fan motor went out in my freezer. Also a side by side so the freezer portion goes from floor to ceiling. The technician knew immediately because the top of my freezer was warm and some food had begun to spoil. Yet the bottom part of my fridge was ice cold and even had some still frozen ice packs.

To prove it, he put one of the ice packs on the top shelf while he ordered the replacement motor and by the next day that ice pack was liquid while the ice packs at bottom of freezer were still frozen.

I don't remember exact cost but it was a fairly cheap part compared to other parts and a quick fix by the repair man.
Yep. I am going to contact the repair person again.
Mike
renue74

Post by renue74 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:11 pm 30 years old? Sounds to me like it is well past time for a new refrigerator.
Any appliance or wife over 30 years needs replacing. (OK...maybe not wife)

I would considering purchasing a new fridge. You've well used all you can out of that purchase. You can purchase a new, more energy efficient model that makes you sleep at night because you got the "energy efficient" version and it will save you money. (just don't calculate the payback.)
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

renue74 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:48 pm
jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:11 pm 30 years old? Sounds to me like it is well past time for a new refrigerator.
Any appliance or wife over 30 years needs replacing. (OK...maybe not wife)

I would considering purchasing a new fridge. You've well used all you can out of that purchase. You can purchase a new, more energy efficient model that makes you sleep at night because you got the "energy efficient" version and it will save you money. (just don't calculate the payback.)
Components of the defrost system or the circulating fans are a possible cause, and would be cheap and easy to fix. I would fix these even on an old appliance if parts were available.

A compressor, on the other hand, would be very pricey, not least because it is part of a sealed system..
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

SVariance1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm
[/quote]

I would have found a new repair person months ago!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

SVariance1 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:46 pm
vaught wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:38 pm I also have a sub-zero and had the same issue.
Try calling Sub-Zero.

I had a similar issue with my Sub-Zero. 1st time was one month after warranty expired. 2nd time was at 7 years old. Repair part and labor was about $500 each time. 2nd time I called SubZero customer service in Wisconsin. CS was amazing. They said that the freezer compressor and fan rarely fail, never mind twice on a 7-year old Sub-Zero. They paid for the part, most of the labor and $200 towards the food spoilage.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

+1. I wouldn't be sinking money into a 30 year appliance. The new one will be much more efficient too.