One week family vacation in Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KlangFool

One week family vacation in Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

I am planning to bring my family down to the Miami area for one week vacation during May. We plan to fly into the Fort Lauderdale. What is the pro and con of renting a car versus stay in some place (AirBnB?) with public transportation? We heard about the tolls and parking meters and so on. Does Uber/taxi works? How much it costs?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
Thecallofduty

Re: One week family vacation in Miami/Fort Lauderdale Area

Post by Thecallofduty »

Hi,

Ive been to that area several times. I really like Fort Lauderdale area over Miami. I would prefer a car rental. We usually go out often so makes sense for us to drive wherever/whenever. You can get good deals especially out of fort lauderdale airport. The rental cars have an option to put something for toll roads and then it just gets charged on your card.

Airbnb is my preference for lodging. Usually there is more room, privacy, full kitchen for similar and sometimes cheaper price than hotels in same area.
-thecallofduty
miamibeachdentist

Post by miamibeachdentist »

It depends on where you are staying and what you want to do. Also depends on age of kids.

If you are just staying at the hotel all day to use beach and pool and have somewhere to walk around like south beach or sunny isles then a car is useless.

Also check the hotel overnight parking rates. Some hotels are ridiculous with $30-$50 overnight rates and no self park option.

Public transportation is horrendous so it will be Uber if you don’t rent a car.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

For either destination, you need to have a car. As noted public transportation is pretty abysmal in South Florida and what is available doesn't route out to beaches or inland to Everglades/nature areas.

Of the two areas you need to decide what kind of experience you want. Ft Lauderdale isn't as large and cosmopolitan as Miami which can be good or bad. In Miami I'd say go full on tourist and stay on Miami Beach, then you can have the ocean experience there, with an easy run to downtown Miami and the very popular artsy Wynwood area on the mainland.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

1) I have 2 college kids. So, it looks like AirBnB makes the most sense.

2) Noted about the rental car.

3) Now, I just have to pick a place stay between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

Thanks.

KlangFool
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Uber works well there. I think if you stayed near the beach and restaurants you could get away without a car. Look for condo or Airbnb rentals over hotel. I like the Fort Lauderdale area and for $30 or so you could take an uber to Miami South Beach for a day trip. Or head north to Boca which I like better.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

3feetpete wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:16 am Uber works well there. I think if you stayed near the beach and restaurants you could get away without a car. Look for condo or Airbnb rentals over hotel. I like the Fort Lauderdale area and for $30 or so you could take an uber to Miami South Beach for a day trip. Or head north to Boca which I like better.
Thanks.

KlangFool
midareff

Post by midareff »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 pm Folks,

I am planning to bring my family down to the Miami area for one week vacation during May. We plan to fly into the Fort Lauderdale. What is the pro and con of renting a car versus stay in some place (AirBnB?) with public transportation? We heard about the tolls and parking meters and so on. Does Uber/taxi works? How much it costs?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
KF.. .. Public transportation in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is certainly not what I would want to depend on. Both Lyft and Uber work well enough and are much cheaper than taxis, but I have not used them for family size transportation. Neither is allowed to service out going from the airport as far as I know and that will have to be by taxi or shuttle. May is already quite warm here. Whether or not a car rental is a good idea depends on what your plans are... is this a beachy type vacation? or, plan on getting around lots? I like the Hollywood Beach area lots and a condo there would be a good base for a week. South Beach an easy Uber/Lyft day trip and no hassles about parking, tolls, and so forth.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

midareff wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
KF.. .. Public transportation in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area is certainly not what I would want to depend on. Both Lyft and Uber work well enough and are much cheaper than taxis, but I have not used them for family size transportation. Neither is allowed to service out going from the airport as far as I know and that will have to be by taxi or shuttle. May is already quite warm here. Whether or not a car rental is a good idea depends on what your plans are... is this a beachy type vacation? or, plan on getting around lots?
midareff,

<<May is already quite warm here.>>

Miami could never be too warm for me. I was from a tropical country. It takes about above 90% humidity for me to sweat. :-)

<<is this a beachy type vacation? or, plan on getting around lots?>>

Probably a split between beaches, places, and boat cruise/tour around the miami areas.

KlangFool
midareff

Post by midareff »

midareff,

<<May is already quite warm here.>>

Miami could never be too warm for me. I was from a tropical country. It takes about above 90% humidity for me to sweat. :-)

<<is this a beachy type vacation? or, plan on getting around lots?>>

Probably a split between beaches, places, and boat cruise/tour around the miami areas.

KlangFool
[/quote]

LOL.. we can dial 90% up for U in May.... not a problem. Have fun.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

I assume that the toll tag with the rental car is registered to the rental car company. When I return the rental car, the rental car company will record the return data and time and send me a bill or charge me for the toll later. How do I verify that the rental car company did not make a mistake? Do they send the detail about the toll charges?

Thanks.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

midareff wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 am

LOL.. we can dial 90% up for U in May.... not a problem. Have fun.
Thanks.

KlangFool
midareff

Post by midareff »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 am Folks,

I assume that the toll tag with the rental car is registered to the rental car company. When I return the rental car, the rental car company will record the return data and time and send me a bill or charge me for the toll later. How do I verify that the rental car company did not make a mistake? Do they send the detail about the toll charges?

Thanks.

KlangFool
KF... I recommend you go to the SunPass website https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml order a transponder (they will mail to U) and establish an account with minimal funding. If you use a rental car just use your own transponder and avoid any administrative charges and such. Easy peasy simple.
bryansmile

Post by bryansmile »

Thanks.

KlangFool
Definitely order a Sunpass STICKER well before your trip. You don't want to use the toll device provided in the rental car. Once you've used it, even for one time, the daily admin charge will be automatically applied to every day of your rental. Check with the car rental companies for detail.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

midareff wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 am

Thanks.

KlangFool
KF... I recommend you go to the SunPass website https://www.sunpass.com/en/home/index.shtml order a transponder (they will mail to U) and establish an account with minimal funding. If you use a rental car just use your own transponder and avoid any administrative charges and such. Easy peasy simple.
Thanks. That will work.

KlangFool
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:40 am

Thanks.

KlangFool
Thanks. That will work.

KlangFool

FWIW - we have rented cars and even a larger Penske truck in Florida numerous times in the past 5 years (maybe 15 or more).
We never had a sunpass and often could pay with just a few coins at the drivethroughs.
Due to our needs at the time we were not able to utilize a drivethrough on every toll road use.
In every case we had zero ($0) costs for tolls and/or fees on the rental car bills.
This would be with a 28' Penske truck as well as cars thru Alamo, Nat, Hertz and Avis.
YMMV
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

smitcat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks.

KlangFool
Thanks. That will work.

KlangFool

FWIW - we have rented cars and even a larger Penske truck in Florida numerous times in the past 5 years (maybe 15 or more).
We never had a sunpass and often could pay with just a few coins at the drivethroughs.
Due to our needs at the time we were not able to utilize a drivethrough on every toll road use.
In every case we had zero ($0) costs for tolls and/or fees on the rental car bills.
This would be with a 28' Penske truck as well as cars thru Alamo, Nat, Hertz and Avis.
YMMV
Thanks. I have enough bad experience with toll booths that I would rather not take those chances.

KlangFool
midareff

Post by midareff »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 am

Thanks.

KlangFool
Thanks. That will work.

KlangFool

YMMV
Thanks. I have enough bad experience with toll booths that I would rather not take those chances.

KlangFool
FWIW, many, if not most to nearly all South Florida roads no longer have toll booths... they are all overhead electronic sensors with cameras. If you have a transponder you get the transponder rate. If you don't there will be a different rate and an administrative charge for having to look you up and bill you. If it is in a rental you are likely to get a second administrative charge for the rental company having to bill you... it's too easy to avoid all the post vacation grief.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Utilizing your own SunPass on a rental in Florida...
Sounds like you need to call SunPass after you rent the car and tell them your rental plate number.

Toll Roads in Florida: Some interstate highways have tolls. Besides the Florida Turnpike (Ocala to Homestead), Alligator Alley (1-75 between Miami and Naples) and the Bee Line Expressway (Orlando to Cape Canaveral) also charge tolls. In addition, some coastal islands have bridges at which a fare is charged.
How much Florida Tolls Cost: They depend on the section of which toll road you’re driving and how far you're going, but are priced by mile and by the number of vehicle axles. See a toll calculator for the Florida Turnpike here.
How to pay tolls: Signs will let you know what kind of toll booth is coming up and the toll amount.
Paying with cash: At cash booths on Florida toll roads, you pay the toll and can get change; at unmanned cash booths, you’ll need exact change in coin.
Paying with SunPass: If you have a SunPass, it’s scanned by an electronic reader and tolls are deducted from your prepaid account. It discounts tolls about 25 percent and saves substantial time at toll booths.
Paying by Toll-By-Plate: Where all-electronic tolling is in effect, you can pay by this method. A camera takes a picture of your license plate, and you’re mailed a bill for tolls plus a $2.50 service charge.
Areas that don’t accept cash: The Miami section of the Turnpike and the following locations don’t accept cash: Mid Bay Connector (Destin); Veterans Expressway (Tampa); Selman Expressway (Tampa); and Sawgrass Expressway (Ft. Lauderdale). Hollywood Boulevard (Exit 49) and Griffin Road (Exit 53) in Broward County are also now all electronic. So you need to use SunPass or Toll-By-Plate. (See above for details.)
Paying with a rental car: Most major rental companies have programs allowing customers to utilize the Toll-By-Plate electronic collection system where tolls and service fees are automatically charged to the credit card used to rent the vehicle. For details, including pricing options at participating car agencies, visit www.sunpass.com/rentalcar.
Paying with your own SunPass transponder in a rental car: Just let SunPass know the rental car’s license number. Remember to remove the transponder when you return the vehicle!
Upcoming changes: Others areas are slated to convert to all-electronic/no cash systems.
surveyor

Post by surveyor »

If you use your own transponder make sure the rental company disables their transponder. Last one we had a daily fee that began once you went under a sunpass scanner. It stopped the fee when you returned the car but it had a max $/rental of under $20. They charge your credit card a month or so later for the tolls you incurred. You could avoid this by using the cash booth but not every exit has one.

Everglades is nice. We did the NP Service loop at Shark Valley on their tram - you can also bike the loop. Buffalo Tiger Airboat tours is operated by Native Americans and was nice. The guide indicated that they are aren't subject to the same rules that non-native americans are bound to. Not sure how accurate that it is but he did get up and close with a few alligators. They also had a nice island we visited that had a replica of how they used to live. Some good history there. Both are off US41 east of the Miccosukee Indian Village. Did not stop at the village.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

surveyor wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:10 pm If you use your own transponder make sure the rental company disables their transponder. Last one we had a daily fee that began once you went under a sunpass scanner. It stopped the fee when you returned the car but it had a max $/rental of under $20. They charge your credit card a month or so later for the tolls you incurred. You could avoid this by using the cash booth but not every exit has one.

Everglades is nice. We did the NP Service loop at Shark Valley on their tram - you can also bike the loop. Buffalo Tiger Airboat tours is operated by Native Americans and was nice. The guide indicated that they are aren't subject to the same rules that non-native americans are bound to. Not sure how accurate that it is but he did get up and close with a few alligators. They also had a nice island we visited that had a replica of how they used to live. Some good history there. Both are off US41 east of the Miccosukee Indian Village. Did not stop at the village.
surveyor,

Thank you for that tip.

KlangFool
voodoo72

Post by voodoo72 »

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
I grew up in Miami, so public transportation is well garbage, a car rental would be much better. Uber is fine for the most part, but parking and tolls no worse than any other major city.
hmw

Post by hmw »

smitcat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:34 pm Utilizing your own SunPass on a rental in Florida...
Sounds like you need to call SunPass after you rent the car and tell them your rental plate number.

Toll Roads in Florida: Some interstate highways have tolls. Besides the Florida Turnpike (Ocala to Homestead), Alligator Alley (1-75 between Miami and Naples) and the Bee Line Expressway (Orlando to Cape Canaveral) also charge tolls. In addition, some coastal islands have bridges at which a fare is charged.
How much Florida Tolls Cost: They depend on the section of which toll road you’re driving and how far you're going, but are priced by mile and by the number of vehicle axles. See a toll calculator for the Florida Turnpike here.
How to pay tolls: Signs will let you know what kind of toll booth is coming up and the toll amount.
Paying with cash: At cash booths on Florida toll roads, you pay the toll and can get change; at unmanned cash booths, you’ll need exact change in coin.
Paying with SunPass: If you have a SunPass, it’s scanned by an electronic reader and tolls are deducted from your prepaid account. It discounts tolls about 25 percent and saves substantial time at toll booths.
Paying by Toll-By-Plate: Where all-electronic tolling is in effect, you can pay by this method. A camera takes a picture of your license plate, and you’re mailed a bill for tolls plus a $2.50 service charge.
Areas that don’t accept cash: The Miami section of the Turnpike and the following locations don’t accept cash: Mid Bay Connector (Destin); Veterans Expressway (Tampa); Selman Expressway (Tampa); and Sawgrass Expressway (Ft. Lauderdale). Hollywood Boulevard (Exit 49) and Griffin Road (Exit 53) in Broward County are also now all electronic. So you need to use SunPass or Toll-By-Plate. (See above for details.)
Paying with a rental car: Most major rental companies have programs allowing customers to utilize the Toll-By-Plate electronic collection system where tolls and service fees are automatically charged to the credit card used to rent the vehicle. For details, including pricing options at participating car agencies, visit www.sunpass.com/rentalcar.
Paying with your own SunPass transponder in a rental car: Just let SunPass know the rental car’s license number. Remember to remove the transponder when you return the vehicle!
Upcoming changes: Others areas are slated to convert to all-electronic/no cash systems.

There is a SunPass app. You can enter your rental car plate using the app. No need to call.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Just a data point: I'm almost fanatical about using public transportation wherever/whenever possible, but I rented a car for a short trip to Florida last March. The increased flexibility with respect to choice of airport and where to stay (I ended up in AirBnB's) made it worth it. I managed to avoid using any toll roads.
cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic »

Check VRBO.COM and Flipkey.com for your dates.. I usually rent only locations that have several prior positive feedback reviews. You may find a nice place in a better location for less money.

If you family enjoy's fishing, investigate going out on a drift fishing boat about 1 hour north in Jupiter FL, or Rivera beach FL.

https://blueheronfishing.com/ is a good one.. not sure what is biting in May.. but even if you don't catch any fish, you get a nice 1/2 day on the water, for a small expense.

Order the sunpass transponder, or purchase the day you arrive at a grocery store. Install the Sunpass app, and fund account as suggested, agree you can include your rental car license plate and dates you have the car using the app.

I did that, and still got a bill/fine from the rent car company for a toll. An email showing a screenshot of the transponder rental car tolls paid made that go away pretty quickly.

Buy the Publix Fried Chicken.. for a lunch or easy dinner... it's not healthy, but it is very very good.

:sharebeer

Have fun

CPU
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Miami-Dade is all open toll now (transponders are read as cars pass check points on highway), so there are no more drivethrough toll booths and thus no way or place to deposit a few coins
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

pennywise wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 pm
Miami-Dade is all open toll now (transponders are read as cars pass check points on highway), so there are no more drivethrough toll booths and thus no way or place to deposit a few coins

I guess the SunPass site as linked above is incorrect now and you would do toll-by-plate?

"Areas that don’t accept cash: The Miami section of the Turnpike and the following locations don’t accept cash: Mid Bay Connector (Destin); Veterans Expressway (Tampa); Selman Expressway (Tampa); and Sawgrass Expressway (Ft. Lauderdale). Hollywood Boulevard (Exit 49) and Griffin Road (Exit 53) in Broward County are also now all electronic. So you need to use SunPass or Toll-By-Plate. (See above for details.)"
Hoosens

Post by Hoosens »

I live in South FL and will add my two cents. To answer your questions...well, it depends on exactly where you are staying and going. I think it's been well established on here that public transportation options are not optimal down here...with one new exception. We now have a high-speed rail service that runs between West Palm Beach-Ft. Lauderdale-Miami (that's it, 3 stops total). Brightline..https://www.gobrightline.com/

If you are staying in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, you can easily access the Brightline station in each city from anywhere for a $5-$12 Uber/Lyft ride. A one-way ticket between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is approx. $15. I've taken it into Miami before, and then it cost about $12 to take a Lyft to South Beach. The FTL station is much closer to it's airport than the MIA one is, and while there is a Sun Trolley in FTL that runs from the station to the airport, they don't allow luggage (strange, eh?) Also, if it's the first weekend in May you will be in town, there is a large 4-day music festival in West Palm Beach that your kids would be very happy to be able to take the Brightline to.

Just an idea, I would avoid having to drive and pay for a car rental if you are in a centrally located area. I don't know how the total costs of renting vs. not renting shake out, but just the convenience of being able to rail-Uber anywhere is worth it to me. Also, one last note about tolls...I don't think you would have to worry about too many if you decide to drive. I'm sure you will be staying east near the beaches, in which case I-95 will be your main lifeline. Stay off Express Lanes and there are no tolls. If you go over to Miami Beach, don't take the Venetian Causeway and you won't encounter tolls. Now, if you travel a bit further north, you may need to get on the FL Turnpike, in which case...tolls.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Hoosens wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:23 pmIf you are staying in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, you can easily access the Brightline station in each city from anywhere for a $5-$12 Uber/Lyft ride. A one-way ticket between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is approx. $15. I've taken it into Miami before, and then it cost about $12 to take a Lyft to South Beach.
Or you can go retro and take the Route 119 (a.k.a. Route S) bus from downtown Miami to Miami Beach. Runs every 15 minutes on weekdays and costs $2.25 for a single one-way fare. For three trips or more it's cheaper to use a day pass at $5.65.

https://www8.miamidade.gov/transportati ... ?route=119
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

I grew up in South Florida. I would 100% stay in South Beach and not get a car. You could walk to great restaurants, see cool architecture, and go to the beach. If you had to, you could always Uber. Traffic down there is awful and why anyone would prefer Fort Lauderdale is frankly confusing since it is not small enough to be charming but large enough to have sprawl.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

22twain wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Hoosens wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:23 pmIf you are staying in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, you can easily access the Brightline station in each city from anywhere for a $5-$12 Uber/Lyft ride. A one-way ticket between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is approx. $15. I've taken it into Miami before, and then it cost about $12 to take a Lyft to South Beach.
Or you can go retro and take the Route 119 (a.k.a. Route S) bus from downtown Miami to Miami Beach. Runs every 15 minutes on weekdays and costs $2.25 for a single one-way fare. For three trips or more it's cheaper to use a day pass at $5.65.

https://www8.miamidade.gov/transportati ... ?route=119
Have you taken public transportation in South Florida? I would just note that in my experience is it nothing like the crowd you’d see in the DC Metro area. It can get sketchy fast.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Leemiller wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:38 pm I grew up in South Florida. I would 100% stay in South Beach and not get a car. You could walk to great restaurants, see cool architecture, and go to the beach. If you had to, you could always Uber. Traffic down there is awful and why anyone would prefer Fort Lauderdale is frankly confusing since it is not small enough to be charming but large enough to have sprawl.
Thanks. I am checking it out.

KlangFool
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

I enjoy Hollywood Beach which is between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It's more mellow and very family friendly. We stay at the Margaritaville there and it's really nice. We always uber when we go on our trips and it's pretty inexpensive. I've done this three times now...twice with just my wife and one other time for spring break with our two kids. This is something you may want to check out.

https://www.margaritavillehollywoodbeachresort.com/
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

A few South Beach favorites:

Espanola way, neat little side street with mostly Italian restaurants and no cars allowed. You can eat outdoors.

Lincoln Road, closes pedestrian road where sometimes at night there Street performers. We paid for my daughter to get a picture with some parrots. There was also a guy with lemurs - in diapers.

Cuban food. You need to have some.

Joe’s stone crab. This is a car ride and pricey but there is a market next to the main restaurant. Similar prices though.

South beach also has a lot of stores with some groceries so you can get bananas, yogurt, things like that.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Leemiller wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:33 am A few South Beach favorites:

Espanola way, neat little side street with mostly Italian restaurants and no cars allowed. You can eat outdoors.

Lincoln Road, closes pedestrian road where sometimes at night there Street performers. We paid for my daughter to get a picture with some parrots. There was also a guy with lemurs - in diapers.

Cuban food. You need to have some.

Joe’s stone crab. This is a car ride and pricey but there is a market next to the main restaurant. Similar prices though.

South beach also has a lot of stores with some groceries so you can get bananas, yogurt, things like that.
Thanks.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

yolli71 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 am I enjoy Hollywood Beach which is between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It's more mellow and very family friendly. We stay at the Margaritaville there and it's really nice. We always uber when we go on our trips and it's pretty inexpensive. I've done this three times now...twice with just my wife and one other time for spring break with our two kids. This is something you may want to check out.

https://www.margaritavillehollywoodbeachresort.com/
Thanks. I will probably try this next time.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

Looks like I have to fly into Fort Lauderdale Airport. The plan is to stay at South Beach. If I do not rent a car, the shuttle service/car for 4 adults is about $100. Are there any better option? How much is Uber?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
Hoosens

Post by Hoosens »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 am Folks,

Looks like I have to fly into Fort Lauderdale Airport. The plan is to stay at South Beach. If I do not rent a car, the shuttle service/car for 4 adults is about $100. Are there any better option? How much is Uber?

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
See my earlier post about the Brightline high-speed rail. Very new, very clean, very easy, very convenient, no traffic. They will even load your luggage for you on the train. I've taken it numerous times into Miami. The station in Ft. Lauderdale is close to the airport. Probably around a $10 Uber/Lyft. Tix are $15 one-way, but they have been running 25% discounts recently, so there's another $45 for 4. I just recently took a Lyft from the Miami Brightline station (which is downtown) into South Beach, it was $17 (I thought it was $12, but I checked and I had a $5 credit.) You would have to check the schedule to see if the times work out for you, I imagine it wouldn't be worthwhile if you had to wait an hour or two for a train.
I have to imagine that the shuttle service option would be cheaper than an Uber/Lyft from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to South Beach. However, I do not have experience with either, so I'm just guessing. Anyway, just wanted to give you another, slightly cheaper, option to consider. Good luck!
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Hoosens wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 am
KlangFool wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:04 am Folks,

Thanks in advance.

KlangFool
See my earlier post about the Brightline high-speed rail. Very new, very clean, very easy, very convenient, no traffic. They will even load your luggage for you on the train. I've taken it numerous times into Miami. The station in Ft. Lauderdale is close to the airport. Probably around a $10 Uber/Lyft. Tix are $15 one-way, but they have been running 25% discounts recently, so there's another $45 for 4. I just recently took a Lyft from the Miami Brightline station (which is downtown) into South Beach, it was $17 (I thought it was $12, but I checked and I had a $5 credit.) You would have to check the schedule to see if the times work out for you, I imagine it wouldn't be worthwhile if you had to wait an hour or two for a train.
I have to imagine that the shuttle service option would be cheaper than an Uber/Lyft from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to South Beach. However, I do not have experience with either, so I'm just guessing. Anyway, just wanted to give you another, slightly cheaper, option to consider. Good luck!
Hoosens,

Thanks.

KlangFool