Best Mattress Close to Original Tempurpedic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Best Mattress Close to Original Tempurpedic

Post by DTalos »

I have an original classic Tempurpedic mattress. By original and classic, I use those adjectives to mean the original one that first came out back when there was only one model. I purchased it used 10 years ago from a lightweight person because I wanted an extra firm rock hard mattress, because that's the kind of mattress my back likes. I wake up with a sore back on softer mattresses. Well after 10 years of use, I feel this mattress has become more soft and not as rock hard as it once was. New Tempurpedic prices are frighteningly high compared to what I paid used. Is there another brand of memory foam mattress that comes closes to the feel of the original Tempurpedic?
acunn

Re: Best Mattress Close to Original Tempurpedic

Post by acunn »

I am also an original tempurpedic owner so I would like to follow this thread. I have been researching tuft and needle based on a recommendation but I have yet to make the switch so am interested in opinions.
psy1

Post by psy1 »

I had an older Tempurpedic queen. I did not think it was softer but wanted a king. We bought the top of the line Tempurpedic. We have slept on Sleep Number and other foam mattresses. All I can say is you get what you pay for. I would rather drive a cheaper car and get the TempurPedic!
AtlBoglehead

Post by AtlBoglehead »

A better option might be a 100% natural latex mattress. Very durable, cool, comfortable. Look at CozyPure, FloBeds and, for good less pricey models, Habitat Furniture. Also, Consumer Reports (and The Bed Guy) recommends hybrid mattresses by long-time manufacturer, Charles P Rogers. Hybrid = innersprings overlaid with quality latex. According to my extensive research, all of these are much better than any of the common names you see advertised on TV.
aknewark18

Post by aknewark18 »

Not sure about non-temperpedic, but got recently Pro-adapt firm. It is hard like rock, and I wish we had gone with medium version of it!
sg0422

Post by sg0422 »

Wife and I purchased a Cacoon by Sealy about three months ago and love it. It’s the new home delivery concept but from a more established brand. But I too came from a Tempurpedic. We purchased the Firm version. Roughly $1k for a king. Im very glad I didn’t spend an extra $1.5k to $2k.
stormswami

Post by stormswami »

We bought our Tempurpedic circa 2010 and we have lost a noticeable amount of support where we typically sleep (immediate middle and edges still OK). Some increase in back pain aside, the heat retention is also something that's also been a thorn. That said, the Tempurpedic mattress has been very good overall, but we don't have the appetite to pay Tempurpedic prices this time around.

As far as foam mattresses, Consumer Reports ranks 'The Casper' very high, although it might be a bit softer as compared to other foam mattresses. 'Sleep on Latex' is also ranked high by CR at a reasonable price. I'll also mentioned that I have found the Sleep Like the Dead website to be helpful for researching and comparing options.
rocket354

Post by rocket354 »

I had a Tempurpedic from 2005 that lasted 12 years, but was clearly in need of replacement. However, I did not like the current Tempurpedic prices, so I went through a long list of online bed-in-a-box sellers (Casper, Purple, Tuft and Needle, etc). I kept the Purple. However, if you like firm, I would recommend either Amerisleep or Ghost Bed. In the latter case, the company has some questionable reviews and potential practices show up if you do a Google search, but I had no issues with them, including a return. In both cases I returned the mattresses because even after a few weeks they were still too firm for me. However, they were both clearly quality mattresses. Best of luck.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I posted a couple of weeks ago, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=271518, and was given two websites to check for objective reviews and information about mattresses:
https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-selector.html

https://www.themattressunderground.com/ (This is the Bogleheads of mattresses forum)

There are a lot of mattress review sites, but most are far from objective. The two above are very good.

I was asked to report back to the forum on what I did which I will soon do in another post. I encourage you to check these websites. It will take some time to educate yourself, but chances are you will wind up with a better mattress at a good price.
atomicsquirrel

Post by atomicsquirrel »

I'm going to suggest Amazon. We purchased a queen size Sleep Innovations back about 6 years ago. Its a very firm mattress. At the time it was about $400. Comes in a box via UPS delivery. Only complaint is it smelled like chemicals for about 3 weeks. Eventually the smell dissipated. For the money its hard to beat. A quick search today shows there are many more manufacturer choices too. All cheaper than shopping a traditional mattress store.

The other option is COSTCO.
theta

Post by theta »

We purchased a Tuft & Needle last Black Friday. They have run a very good BF promotion for the last 2 or 3 years. We are very happy with this purchase. I would call it very firm, but short of rock hard.
We paired it with a bed frame from Zinus, which we also are happy with. There is no box spring, and so it’s lower and quieter.
Both from Amazon.
blackfish

Post by blackfish »

carolinaman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:26 am I posted a couple of weeks ago, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=271518, and was given two websites to check for objective reviews and information about mattresses:

https://www.themattressunderground.com/ (This is the Bogleheads of mattresses forum)

There are a lot of mattress review sites, but most are far from objective. The two above are very good.

I was asked to report back to the forum on what I did which I will soon do in another post. I encourage you to check these websites. It will take some time to educate yourself, but chances are you will wind up with a better mattress at a good price.
These sites are amazing. Some people take mattresses very seriously (as they should considering the percentage of our lives we spend on them)
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

blackfish wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am
carolinaman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:26 am I posted a couple of weeks ago, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=271518, and was given two websites to check for objective reviews and information about mattresses:

These sites are amazing. Some people take mattresses very seriously (as they should considering the percentage of our lives we spend on them)
Agreed. Those sites appear to be unbiased at this time.

It’s very hard to find objective mattress info, since the industry has a history of threatening lawsuits, suing, and/or buying out trusted blog sites to prevent criticism or lose any competitive advantage.

See also:

The War To Sell You A Mattress Is An Internet Nightmare
Dark side of the mattress wars
https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sle ... tress-wars
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

criticalmass wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:34 am
blackfish wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:30 am

Agreed. Those sites appear to be unbiased at this time.

It’s very hard to find objective mattress info, since the industry has a history of threatening lawsuits, suing, and/or buying out trusted blog sites to prevent criticism or lose any competitive advantage.

See also:

The War To Sell You A Mattress Is An Internet Nightmare
Dark side of the mattress wars
https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sle ... tress-wars
That was a very revealing article and demonstrates the need for caution with online reviews and online manufacturers.

Both of the sites I recommended are very open about their limited relationships.

I was looking for good outlets or small manufacturers in my area and found a number of recommendations from TMU, most of which were not affiliated with him, but he was familiar with NC even though he was in Arizona.
Last edited by carolinaman on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

You may want to check Consumer Reports. They recently had a review of memory foam mattresses. Yours was ranked near the bottom. They advertise heavily, and I was not even aware there were so many other choices that were higher rated and less expensive.

Tim
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I would switch gears. Spend less and expect less years from your mattress. 10-12 years is too long for the newer memory foam/latex mattresses.

You had to get 10-12-15 years because you spend $1,500, $2,000, $2,500 on the beasts. My in-laws kept dropping $2,000+ on Sleep Number beds and having part after part replaced. They were sunk in after 4 years. Roll to the middle!

Amazon is filled with highly rated mattresses for $200 to $400. Read reviews/updates. Try one. Let's say it is $300 and lasts 4 years. You can do that 3 times and spend under $1,000.

Mattresses are one area where spending more does not guarantee you will sleep better on it. We have a highly rated memory foam/latex mattress that was $235. Going on year 3. Still sleeps good. I'm hoping to get 1 more year out of it.

Bought a hybrid spring/memory foam/latex mattress for our middle kid who went from a Twin to Full size bed. $200 with high/good reviews.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/BedStory-Mattres ... den&sr=1-8
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Last year we bought an all latex Spindle Mattress. https://shop.spindlemattress.com/produc ... mattress-8

They come with three separate layers and a very excellent zip-up external cotton cover with a quilted top. The layers are soft, medium and firm. If you know you want a truly firm mattress order three firm layers. They call that extra firm, but it was perfect for us.

They are very knowledgeable and easy to work with. I highly recommend them. Check for promotions, including a 5% discount if you say you read about them at Mattress Underground. Their mattress needs to be on a hard, flat platform with solid center supports, not a box spring. They advise against a solid plywood platform, which they say does not breathe and can trap moisture. They recommend a slat platform. They can sell you a slat platform, but I built my own, which fits into our wooden bed frame and has 1/2" spacing between the slats. If you already have a plywood or other solid wood platform there are pads you can buy to put under the mattress that provide air flow.

Go to the web site for their latex manufacturer and look at the production video - it is very impressive. http://www.mountaintopfoam.com
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Everyone wants a firm mattress. Me, I want a soft mattress because I sleep on my side.

Apparently no one makes a soft mattress. Because everyone wants a firm mattress.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

montanagirl wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm Everyone wants a firm mattress. Me, I want a soft mattress because I sleep on my side.

Apparently no one makes a soft mattress. Because everyone wants a firm mattress.
There are a number of online latex mattress retailers who sell these multi layer latex mattresses. They allow you to choose the degree of firmness you want. I too am a side sleeper and chose soft/medium/firm with the online retailer I used based upon trying mattresses in retail stores in my area, but you could choose very soft/soft/medium or any other combination that you find is most comfortable for you. These vendors give you zippered covers so you can switch your layers around to find the most comfortable configuration. Most also allow exchanges during the first 60 to 90 days. If the mattress is too firm or too soft, you could exchange layers to try and optimize your choice.

There are also hybrid mattresses which use a combination of latex and springs/coils and possibly memory foam as well. There are many products out there and you should be able to find something that meets your needs. I encourage you to check out www.themattressundergound.com website to get a better understanding of your options.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The original Tempurpedic. Are those the ones that felt like lying in wet sand?

We’ve always done well with a combination of reading Consumer Reports, and going to mattress stores and trying things out for ourselves.

Our current mattress is a firm Sealy Posturpedic we got from Costco, topped with a softer latex topper we got from a local shop that makes them. Very comfortable. Latex is great to sleep on. I’m sure the topper will need to be replaced every five years or so, but the mattress will last a long time, and it being Costco, was very reasonably priced.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 »

We bought a Tempurpedic in 2015, firm. It was great for a year but the firmness started aggravating my hips and shoulders. We bought a 3 inch mattress topper and this combination has been good. I need the underlying firm foundation for my back. I miss the days of my youth when I could sleep on just about any ole mattress!
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

The costco memory foam mattresses are very firm, and we have been very happy with them. 3 out of 4 mattresses in the house are now of this type. It's the model they usually carry in store.

Costco at least would have a generous return policy, although I'm not sure how you "put the genie back in the bottle" after a memory foam mattress explodes out of it's factory packaging. :D
midareff

Post by midareff »

Hmmm... bought an original Tempurpedic close to 28 years ago. It went way soft in about 4 years and they replaced it. Still on the replacement and I guess that one day it will need replacing but that day is not anywhere near now.
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

Check out Amerisleep. I got the medium firmness for my son and it’s great. They have firmer options as well.
Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos »

noco-hawkeye wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:26 am The costco memory foam mattresses are very firm, and we have been very happy with them. 3 out of 4 mattresses in the house are now of this type. It's the model they usually carry in store.

Costco at least would have a generous return policy, although I'm not sure how you "put the genie back in the bottle" after a memory foam mattress explodes out of it's factory packaging. :D
Is the Costco memory foam mattress you have Novaform brand?
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Please look at Consumer Reports review of memory foam mattresses. There are many more brands than Tempurpedic, though they swamp all others with their advertising. Their mattresses are, quite literally, ranked near the bottom of their choices. They have to pay for that advertising somehow.

Tim
blgaarder

Post by blgaarder »

Check https://sleepsherpa.com/ as well, Minneapolis and Chicago showrooms.

I have yet to visit, but will be doing so in a year or two.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

On a side note, I have a tempurpedic bed and I really struggle finding sheets that fit. Anyone have any good recommendations on sheets that fit these low profile beds that don't cost an arm and leg?
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

DTalos wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:19 am
noco-hawkeye wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:26 am The costco memory foam mattresses are very firm, and we have been very happy with them. 3 out of 4 mattresses in the house are now of this type. It's the model they usually carry in store.

Is the Costco memory foam mattress you have Novaform brand?
Yes I believe thats right / sounds right. It's about 600-700 for a king, maybe 500 for a queen? The king has been with us the longest, and at about 4-5 years I have not noticed any sagging or anything breaking down. We had a stearns and foster and it was starting to sag by this point in it's life.