Best site for reverse phone number lookup

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stlrick

Best site for reverse phone number lookup

Post by stlrick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm

When I get calls from numbers I don't recognize or with ID blocked, I often do not answer the call. I'd like to look up the number to help decide if I should block further calls from it. What do you use to get that information? Google does not seem to work most of the time, and every other site I've found has a paywall or requires logging in. Are there any other good options?

StandingRock

Re: Best site for reverse phone number lookup

Post by StandingRock » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:23 pm

Whitepages

[link formatted by admin LadyGeek]

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm

stlrick wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 pm
When I get calls from numbers I don't recognize or with ID blocked, I often do not answer the call. I'd like to look up the number to help decide if I should block further calls from it. What do you use to get that information? Google does not seem to work most of the time, and every other site I've found has a paywall or requires logging in. Are there any other good options?
I think it is a waste of your time. I think those numbers are rarely re-used by the robo callers anyway. I would just use a Google voice number to direct known phone numbers to your phone and have the others leave a message on Google voice.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Since they are spoofed, looking them up is a waste of time.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:40 pm

I just use google and look at a few of the sites that come up. There is frequently a site(s) with that number reported as a spam caller and the nature of the spam.

If nothing shows up on the google search, it might be a legit call in which case whitepages.com might be helpful.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 pm

My phones announce the caller id, or calling name if I have programmed them into my list. If I don't recognize number or name, the call goes to voicemail. I occasionally go thru the voicemail messages, I never find any call of importance.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: Sometimesspokeo.com is useful, but it isn't free.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Robo callers no longer leave me voice mails because my greeting says that I only answer calls from recognized numbers and that I only respond to voice mails when there is an existing relationship.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm

block your number and call them back repeatedly. make it your life's mission. :D
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:28 pm

I’ve had some success with Who Called Me.
https://who-calledme.com/

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:30 am

800notes.com Very good source of self reported spam numbers.

I've had the same cell number since 1991. It's been out there a long time.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:44 am

stlrick wrote:
No need to do anything because the numbers shown are almost always disconnected numbers anyway.

Many telemarketers have figured out a way to get around the "Nomorobo" screening by display a fake name along with a disconnected number. The vast majority of those fake numbers have my area code and prefix and the fake names tend to be popular names that could belong to some high school friends and acquaintances.

If a call is legit, the caller will almost always leave a message.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:51 am

Looking up the number of the caller is a waste of time. Numbers can (and usually are) spoofed these days.

I don't even accept incoming calls on my landline anymore. The home landline stays on "do not disturb" and rejects all incoming calls. I only keep the landline service in place for E911 service and for use by my home alarm system.

My family and friends, and a couple of other associates (doctors' offices and such) all have the number of my cell phone, which is set to accept calls only from people in my contact list. Obviously, if some spammer / scammer / robocaller happens to get lucky and spoof one of my contacts' number, then this will fail. But so far it's been very successful in cutting out unwanted calls.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 am

stlrick wrote:
I used to do this. Not of much value.

My guru tells me that some relief may be coming this year courtesy of the FCC threatening all the major carriers with BIG fines if they don't do something about this, and they've poured millions into coming up with solutions.

Patience in the meantime.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:15 am

I might try some of the above if I really am trying to find out *who* called me (e.g., my best friend from high school!??).

But when I suspect it's a scam/spam, all I do is Google the number.
Typically, high on the list will be indications that others have reported it.
Occasionally, it will be something ID'd, such as some insurance company or whatever, something I've never heard of, so I figure that's a wrong number or an attempted sales call.

Every now and then, the Googled number comes back with some vendor that I do know...
And that's free.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
stlrick

Post by stlrick » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:10 pm

The constructive suggestions were:
whitepages.com
who-calledme.com
800notes.com
spokeo.com
google.com

I tried them all with my own home phone number, and none came up with even my name (whitepages came up with my adult son, who has never been responsible for the number and who has had his own number for 20 years). One link on the google list seems to give correct names and general location without requiring a premium link. Callersmart.com appears to be the most useful so far.

boglesmymind

Post by boglesmymind » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I get many calls that are appearing as coming from my neighbors since they are from my local exchange. When I call them back, I get a recording that
"This number is not in service"

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Yep, a waste of time. Its scammers spoofing numbers. I get tons of calls that have the same area code and first three digits of my phone number. For example, if my number is 425-819-XXXX I'll get about 1 call a week from 425-819-YYYY. The scammers know that you are more likely to answer a call from someone with a similar phone number. Frequently these numbers were issued around the same time and area. In high school I had a few friends who did actually match that closely.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 pm

F150HD wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm
block your number and call them back repeatedly. make it your life's mission. :D
Usually youll be calling an innocent person who has no idea whats going on. I've read stories about how someone will try to waste a scammers time so they start spoofing their number. This prompts a bunch of angry return calls.

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:14 pm

boglesmymind wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm
I get many calls that are appearing as coming from my neighbors since they are from my local exchange. When I call them back, I get a recording that
My area code and prefix 714 801 are very uncommon for my area. I've blocked the entire prefix after receiving many spoofed spam calls. They want to look like local neighbors.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:26 pm

I kept my old phone number from where I used to live years ago. I no longer keep in contact with anyone from that area code. Since spammers like to spoof numbers from your own area code and pre-fix (second set of three numbers), I know calls from that area code and pre-fix are always spam. It's worked out really well for me. Sure, the phone rings, but if I receive a call from the area code in which I now live, I know it's a legitimate call and will answer it.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:30 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:26 pm
I kept my old phone number from where I used to live years ago. I no longer keep in contact with anyone from that area code. Since spammers like to spoof numbers from your own area code and pre-fix (second set of three numbers), I know calls from that area code and pre-fix are always spam. It's worked out really well for me. Sure, the phone rings, but if I receive a call from the area code in which I now live, I know it's a legitimate call and will answer it.
I did the same and this is how it works for me as well. I have no problem with spam from the area code I actually live in. Those are all legit calls.

I did get one phone call from the old area code that was legit - a doctor's office reminding me of a 5 year screening (which I appreciated) - but the rest are all spam and easy to block.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Funny benefit to my efforts to "cut the cord". Cable co wont offer me a deal with lower cost for just internet,
vs keeping a bundle that includes the phone. I disconnected the phone line from my house phone, connected a google voice number instead to my house phone. I am VERY selective about giving out my GV and mobile phone numbers, but freely give my old cable co number to potential spammers.
They call and get no answer....

So far very few junk calls on cell phone and none on the new GV #.

diy60

Post by diy60 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm

NewOldGuy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:14 pm
boglesmymind wrote:
My area code and prefix 714 801 are very uncommon for my area. I've blocked the entire prefix after receiving many spoofed spam calls. They want to look like local neighbors.
Is this a mobile phone? I tried researching how to block area codes and prefixes for an iPhone, but the only thing I've found is to set my phone to "do not disturb", which blocks everything unless you select either favorites or contact list. I have it set up to allow incoming calls from my contact list, but it's more extreme blocking then I desire. Ideally I would like to block by area code and/or prefix. As a side note, I got rid of my landline after having the same number for over 35 years, 99.99% of the calls were spam.

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 pm

diy60 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm
NewOldGuy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:14 pm
boglesmymind wrote:
Is this a mobile phone? I tried researching how to block area codes and prefixes for an iPhone, but the only thing I've found is to set my phone to "do not disturb", which blocks everything unless you select either favorites or contact list. I have it set up to allow incoming calls from my contact list, but it's more extreme blocking then I desire. Ideally I would like to block by area code and/or prefix. As a side note, I got rid of my landline after having the same number for over 35 years, 99.99% of the calls were spam.
I use a free 3rd party app called Hiya on android. I'm not sure, but I heard it's no longer free for Apple products.

My wife insists on keeping our landline number that we've had for 40 years. We pay $4/mo for it through Ooma. A separate larger caller ID unit is beside the phone and can be seen from across the room, so we don't have to get up to see who's calling. At home, the wife gets more calls on landline than cell mostly because her sister calls numerous times a day... but that's a pet peeve I try to ignore.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:39 am

FWIW, there may be some progress on getting the phone companies to implement strong caller ID authentication, SHAKEN/STIR.
https://twitter.com/AjitPaiFCC/status/1 ... 1080876032
https://www.fcc.gov/document/chairman-p ... umers-2019

kimsoi79

Post by kimsoi79 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 pm

I just wanted to add to everyone else's suggestions that a lot of the sites regularly update their sources, I want to say every 3-6months, so check periodically to see if anything comes up. Some even have notifications now when new information is available, https://www.spokeo.com/ definitely has it but it might be premium or freemium at least https://wherecall.com/