Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
kaneohe
Posts: 5407
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by kaneohe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am

I have account there whose sole purpose is to receive pics of granddaughter posted by parents. I assume those pics will vanish
in April? Any way to estimate the size of archived file that will be generated if you attempt to save the pics. Any way to save those
photos in Google+ to Google Photos?

fru-gal
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by fru-gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 am

Any approximate idea of how many photos you have there?

My jpg photos are typically about 2MB each. If they are reduced to email size they are about 200KB each.

You probably have plenty of room to save them to your pc, unless there are videos, which tend to take up a lot of room.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Posts: 3734
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods

Re: Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 am

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am
I have account there whose sole purpose is to receive pics of granddaughter posted by parents. I assume those pics will vanish
in April? Any way to estimate the size of archived file that will be generated if you attempt to save the pics. Any way to save those
photos in Google+ to Google Photos?
Ironically, Google is your friend.

Google+ Photos shuts down on August 1: Here’s how to save your photos and videos

Hope this helps.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1941
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by F150HD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am

downloading and reducing their size will make them pixilated and ultimately if you ever wish to print any or they end up on a high res screen (as many items are becoming) it won't work well at all. Something to think about.

User avatar
tuningfork
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by tuningfork » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:10 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 am
kaneohe wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am
I have account there whose sole purpose is to receive pics of granddaughter posted by parents. I assume those pics will vanish
in April? Any way to estimate the size of archived file that will be generated if you attempt to save the pics. Any way to save those
photos in Google+ to Google Photos?
Ironically, Google is your friend.

Google+ Photos shuts down on August 1: Here’s how to save your photos and videos

Hope this helps.
That link is from 2015 about a different shutdown. Some of the details are out of date and may not be relevant to the Google+ shutdown that's happening in April 2019.

This article from Google Support is current and steps you through using Google Takeout to download your Google+ content. You can download to your computer, or to Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. Once you've got your data archive, it's up to you to save your photos (and posts) wherever you want. It doesn't look like Google has provided a way to automatically move them to Google Photos, but once on your computer you can probably drag/drop them to Google Photos as in the 2015 article.

The photos you download with Google Takeout are the original, full resolution files currently stored in Google.

fru-gal
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by fru-gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 am

F150HD wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am
downloading and reducing their size will make them pixilated and ultimately if you ever wish to print any or they end up on a high res screen (as many items are becoming) it won't work well at all. Something to think about.
Downloading does not automatically reduce the size, normally. I only reduce size when I'm emailing and then I keep the high res versions.

Post Reply