Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kaneohe

Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by kaneohe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am

I have account there whose sole purpose is to receive pics of granddaughter posted by parents. I assume those pics will vanish
in April? Any way to estimate the size of archived file that will be generated if you attempt to save the pics. Any way to save those
photos in Google+ to Google Photos?

fru-gal

Re: Anyone Affected by Google+ Shutdown in April

Post by fru-gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 am

Any approximate idea of how many photos you have there?

My jpg photos are typically about 2MB each. If they are reduced to email size they are about 200KB each.

You probably have plenty of room to save them to your pc, unless there are videos, which tend to take up a lot of room.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 am

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am
I have account there whose sole purpose is to receive pics of granddaughter posted by parents. I assume those pics will vanish
in April? Any way to estimate the size of archived file that will be generated if you attempt to save the pics. Any way to save those
Ironically, Google is your friend.

Google+ Photos shuts down on August 1: Here’s how to save your photos and videos

Hope this helps.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am

downloading and reducing their size will make them pixilated and ultimately if you ever wish to print any or they end up on a high res screen (as many items are becoming) it won't work well at all. Something to think about.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:10 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:12 am
kaneohe wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am
Ironically, Google is your friend.

Google+ Photos shuts down on August 1: Here’s how to save your photos and videos

Hope this helps.
That link is from 2015 about a different shutdown. Some of the details are out of date and may not be relevant to the Google+ shutdown that's happening in April 2019.

This article from Google Support is current and steps you through using Google Takeout to download your Google+ content. You can download to your computer, or to Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. Once you've got your data archive, it's up to you to save your photos (and posts) wherever you want. It doesn't look like Google has provided a way to automatically move them to Google Photos, but once on your computer you can probably drag/drop them to Google Photos as in the 2015 article.

The photos you download with Google Takeout are the original, full resolution files currently stored in Google.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 am

F150HD wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am
downloading and reducing their size will make them pixilated and ultimately if you ever wish to print any or they end up on a high res screen (as many items are becoming) it won't work well at all. Something to think about.
Downloading does not automatically reduce the size, normally. I only reduce size when I'm emailing and then I keep the high res versions.

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:27 am

Without really knowing what I'm doing,I tried to follow the instructions on Google Plus about saving my photos from Google Plus on Google Drive. I did it twice and it ended up as 2 110MB zip files. The titles associated with the files show that most of it is my photos, not the pictures of granddaughter taken by her father which are the ones that I would want to save. I don't know why
my pictures are in archive .......I didn't knowingly put anything on Google Plus.

To view my Photos I need to unzip them, I guess. There is a zip extractor, a cloud convert, and a zip/unzip application that are offered and many more it looks like. Zip extractor wants me to sign something informing/warning me of ?? before I use it so I haven't done that yet.

Any comments about zip extractor? Safe to use,etc.

The real issue is about saving those pictures of granddaughter in Google Plus that were taken by her parents, not me. Since they apparently didn't appear in the archives, it feels like they weren't "mine" ...........I was just allowed to view them. Would I really be able to save them somehow? They are sort of on my computer in some sense...........I can view one picture representing each album w/o the wifi connection but if I try to open the album w/o wifi connection I generally can't see the other pics so does that mean they really aren't on my computer........just a link to Google Plus that needs the wifi connection.

If I do get the wifi connection and can view those pics, can they be extracted and saved? I know if I get sent an e-mail link to those pics, I can view them but if I forward that link elsewhere, the pics can't be viewed by another person.
Wondering if it's the same with the Google plus pics.......that they aren't mind and I can't extract and save them. Don't understand how this stuff works but hopefully you can understand what I'm trying to do and if it is possible.

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 am

one more try.................

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:01 am

Sounds like to me that someone who owns the pictures, shared the pictures with you, but now you want to download them even though they are not yours.

Have you happened to look on the following link and see if the pictures show up there? You hsould be able to download full size resolution from there.

https://photos.google.com/sharing

bampf

Post by bampf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am

kaneohe wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 am
Posts on social media (google +) are different than "I have a picture". The poster has that picture. Just because you can view them doesn't mean that they are in your account. In fact, think about it this way: If you go to any website and view an image, it doesn't mean it is in your account. It just means you have permission to view it. There are two ways I can think of doing what I think you want:

1. Get your relative to do the save of their posts (those grandkid pictures will be in their zip file). They can then share them with you through their photos.google.com account.

2. Go to Google+ and right click on each picture you want to save. Select save image and point it somewhere.

Hope this helps.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:35 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:01 am
Sounds like to me that someone who owns the pictures, shared the pictures with you, but now you want to download them even though they are not yours.
No need for armchair copyright lawyering. The OP is just trying to save pictures of grandkids.

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 pm

bampf wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am
kaneohe wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 am
Posts on social media (google +) are different than "I have a picture". The poster has that picture. Just because you can view them doesn't mean that they are in your account. In fact, think about it this way: If you go to any website and view an image, it doesn't mean it is in your account. It just means you have permission to view it. There are two ways I can think of doing what I think you want:

1. Get your relative to do the save of their posts (those grandkid pictures will be in their zip file). They can then share them with you through their photos.google.com account.

2. Go to Google+ and right click on each picture you want to save. Select save image and point it somewhere.

Hope this helps.
Thanks to all to replied to the last request. This explanation above helps a lot........had a feeling that this might be the situation. Hopefully #1
will be solution and I don't have to do anything. Will have to see if the right click thing will work on a mouseless Mac....2 fingers or ctl click
supposedly will but it will be impossible to save all that way but perhaps it will force me to review them and pick the few I really want.
Will also have to figure out how to do the last sentence.

bampf

Post by bampf » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 pm

This may help you

https://www.duluth.umn.edu/~hrallis/gui ... Guide.html

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:04 pm

bampf wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 pm
kaneohe wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 pm

This may help you

https://www.duluth.umn.edu/~hrallis/gui ... Guide.html
bampf............thanks so much for that link! Got some homework to do................

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:41 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:35 am
dsmclone wrote:
No need for armchair copyright lawyering. The OP is just trying to save pictures of grandkids.
I'm aware, I was trying to explain why the process wasn't working for him and wanted to see if he tried the google photos method.

Topic Author
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 am

dsmclone wrote:
Have you happened to look on the following link and see if the pictures show up there? You hsould be able to download full size resolution from there.

https://photos.google.com/sharing
Thanks for that idea........unfortunately most of the pics there are mine that I've shared. There is just one there that was from SIL.
In my mind, Google Photos and Google Plus are separate and distinct.