Explain: Landmark Forum

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wricha

Explain: Landmark Forum

Post by Wricha » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 pm

A friend of mine went to one of their seminars/forums. She thought it was terrific but could not subsequently tell me why. I went on their website to read about it. Honestly, it was like shoveling mercury with a pitchfork. I could not understand what they do. Does anyone here have any experience with these folks.
Thank you

MarkRoulo

Re: Explain: Landmark Forum

Post by MarkRoulo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Wricha wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:26 pm
A friend of mine went to one of their seminars/forums. She thought it was terrific but could not subsequently tell me why. I went on their website to read about it. Honestly, it was like shoveling mercury with a pitchfork. I could not understand what they do. Does anyone here have any experience with these folks.
Thank you
Wikipedia says they pretty much started with EST (and the guy who founded it, Werner Erhard) and have evolved it a bit over the past few decades.

gsmith

Post by gsmith » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:38 pm

The hard part in explaining it, is that it's hard to describe without spoiling the experience. I went ~5 years ago.
I think one of the lines was something along the lines of "Having a breakthrough in your life is the reward, Understanding with your brain is the consolation prize"

The best way to describe the Landmark Forum is applied philosophy (existentialism) mixed with group therapy.
You sit anonymously in a room full of people who you'll never meet again, who share their secrets in a strange intimacy that is difficult to describe.

They will go through group exercises to lead to a more meaningful life, encouraged to drop excuses, etc.
Many have found value there, and even though I didn't act on the breakthrough, the realization I had a choice to carry a difficult burden of care-giving was liberating... It's very much a skeleton key for the soul, in that everyone will react differently.

There was this moment during the "graduation" where everyone was dressed in formal gear, and my mom came in a olive green track suit, and for the first time in my life I wasn't embarrassed. In fact, everyone was in on the joke, encouraging her to sign up. :D

I would recommend it to people who were looking for introspection in their lives.
They were previously known as Est in the 60s.

Hope that helps,

Greg

PS. The passion of most who goes comes from being unburdened with the past, which leads to an authenticity few experience.
Last edited by gsmith on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 pm

Wricha wrote:
Does anyone here have any experience with these folks.
Thank you
No direct experience, but a good friend of mine was heavily involved for years. While she got a lot from it, I do know that she spent a lot of money attending seminars and classes. I was always skeptical, as it seemed odd and to stay involved, required paying to attend classes and much pressure to get others to attend.

She has since stopped her involvement, but not before trying to convince many of our mutual friends to attend.

Topic Author
Wricha

Post by Wricha » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:06 pm

noraz123 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 pm
Wricha wrote:
Does anyone here have any experience with these folks.
Thank you
No direct experience, but a good friend of mine was heavily involved for years. While she got a lot from it, I do know that she spent a lot of money attending seminars and classes. I was always skeptical, as it seemed odd and to stay involved, required paying to attend classes and much pressure to get others to attend.

She has since stopped her involvement, but not before trying to convince many of our mutual friends to attend.
Yes that is of some concern to me also. She has already signed up to go to some advance course work.

gsmith

Post by gsmith » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Wricha wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:06 pm
Yes that is of some concern to me also. She has already signed up to go to some advance course work.
I only paid for the "Forum" which was their 3 day class, and included a complementary refresher-like class for a few months. The refresher class was much less intense, and a little boring to be honest, as they went over the same topics as the Forum.

They do have advanced classes, but it was only mentioned, and not pushed.
They are a legitimate leadership class, and the couple of friends and I who went did feel like we got value for our money.

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm

I took it close to 20 years ago. I really enjoyed the discussion, and found it informative and insightful both for myself and regarding other people. Like everything, you tend to take some parts and leave some parts, and everyone I know who was involved back then has moved on, but I'd say it still does help me frame the way I think about decisions and relate to people, and also where I hold myself accountable.

It's somewhere between a motivational program and a philosophy, and is indeed hard to explain. The borderline hard-sell to keep doing more was my least favorite bit about the program, but their enthusiasm about the value of the Landmark approach is genuine, and genuinely useful, I think.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:17 pm

So, is this just EST under a new name, or is it something different?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

gsmith

Post by gsmith » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:17 pm
So, is this just EST under a new name, or is it something different?
According to a Psychology Today article, the current group bought the intellectual property from Est and has changed, but I've never attended EST, so I wouldn't be able to say.

Just as an FYI, there was a Landmark thread in 2010: viewtopic.php?t=58194
Someone in that thread commented about really abhorrent EST techniques and another replied they are not used in modern Landmark, if that's helpful.

Post by 2015 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:59 pm

I don't understand why financial writers keeping writing about debunking financial "myths" when after tens seemingly hundreds of thousands of articles on financial "myth" debunking of one sort or another one would think there would be no more financial "myths" to "reveal". I say this because I think it would be much more profitable for financial writers to switch careers and attempt to debunk a virtual tsunami of myths surrounding est, Erhard, and what followed. There is so much disinformation, misinformation, and general B.S. on the topic it boggles the mind.

I'm not affiliated but I know more about it than what has been posted in this thread.