Best ways to provide STRUCTURE to retired life

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: Best ways to provide STRUCTURE to retired life

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Grantley wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:11 am
Grantley wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:03 am
I think it depends on the person and how much work has been central to their lives. Some will need a new structure to be created so they are not lost with too much time on their hands. Others already have many interests and know what they want to do, whether it is planned on a schedule or is more lose.

Regarding TV, I loved this quote I read:

"Before deciding to take early retirement from your job, stay home a week and watch daytime television."

This is from a very good book that another person recommended to me:

The Retirement Maze, by Rob Pascale et al.

I strongly recommend it.
Haha, everybody is different. I don’t watch night time TV, no shows at all, but one reason why I retired early is to listen to CNBC everyday. It’s in the background while I do other stuff. Like my husband is reading the news, I surf the net.
I admit to watching CNBC as well in the morning and late afternoon. It's always amusing to hear people state with such confidence what is going to happen when they really have no idea.
Would it be awesome if once in awhile a commentator would say "I don't know" in answer to a question?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 pm

I know who to avoid on CNBC. :D

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:36 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 pm
I have wanted to do this for some time now but scared my dogs will get stolen. Don’t you have that fear as well?
I actually don't have that fear since I live in a place populated with extremely decent people. But I suppose it could happen.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm

depressed wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 pm
Today my PLANNER told me to do nothing. Sadly, I didn't finish, so I'll be doing nothing again tomorrow.
LOL

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:06 pm

When we were in school, did we know where we would be working? So we had to adapt into our futures.
When we were working, did we know how we would spend our time in retirement? Perhaps some more adaptation could happen.

In retirement, my hiking for exercise led to trying some volunteer hiking trail maintenance that turned into as much physical work as I was willing to do, eventually on multi-night backpacking trips. I didn't know that more than a few retirees would ever go backpacking, but there I was, working in the woods, not just passing through, and making each place a little better for others. Those years became the best years of my life.

Take a chance and jump off of the treadmill at work, into not having a job. Maybe something good, but unexpected will happen.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:50 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:36 pm
EnjoyIt wrote:
I have wanted to do this for some time now but scared my dogs will get stolen. Don’t you have that fear as well?
I actually don't have that fear since I live in a place populated with extremely decent people. But I suppose it could happen.
I believe we live relatively close to each other but I guess I don’t have the confidence for my dogs. Realistically they are 100 lb monsters and likely no one would dare come near them. But, they are expensive purebreads so I am nervous. I would love to ride the bike with them and then come home with groceries. So structured and productive.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
livesoft wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:08 am
EnjoyIt wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm
How do you bring your dog in the grocery store? Is HEB or Randall’s pet friendly?
My dog will sit/lie patiently outside leashed to a bike rack or other permanent small structure. Many people know him.
I tie my two dogs to the bike rack at Whole Foods in a very busy urban center every now and then, and also at the WalMart neighborhood market nearby on occasion. I try to limit my shopping time when I do that, but there are outdoor security guards at the WalMart so I don't worry as much there. Some people bring their pets inside Whole Foods, but I think that's inappropriate in a grocery store (unless perhaps they are tiny enough to be confined to a purse or something). I have friends who have expressed alarm at this habit, but I guess I'm trusting in general. I can't really imagine someone randomly deciding to steal two middle aged fluffy corgis off the street, though I suppose it could happen. Usually there are a few other people and/or pets out there enjoying food or drinks though; they've often made some friends by the time I come back.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Meg...Dog theft is common= reward for thief.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:26 pm

livesoft wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:08 am
EnjoyIt wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:44 pm
How do you bring your dog in the grocery store? Is HEB or Randall’s pet friendly?
My dog will sit/lie patiently outside leashed to a bike rack or other permanent small structure. Many people know him.
I used to tie my dog either to a heavy bench or bike rack outside a supermarket but would check on him from the store window a few times. Quite a few people stopped to pet him, including kids, and I was thankful he was such a friendly dog and the people were nice to him. Nothing ever happened, but I decided not to do this with the next dog, who was not quite as trusting or friendly. Probably a good decision.
John Bogle on his early road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 pm

I'm a band director and the guy who taught before me is almost busier now in retirement than he was as a teacher. He writes music, arranges, teaches, judges/clinics, and writes marching show music for several schools. He has commissioned works backed up a year or so. His son is a successful trumpet player in NYC and he frequently drives to see him perform. I really hope I'm as busy and structured as he is. He has to make himself a daily schedule to include his bike rides, meal planning (they are serious Paleo fanatics). He and his friends go on 50+ bike rides in the summer.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:03 pm

The moment I retired I got asked to come back part time. I did that, worked part time for another 6 years, some years half time, other years only several weeks. I always liked to work, and this part time work was enjoyable. I fully retired at age 69.

Sometimes the family restructures your retired life. As it turned out, our daughter in law was not able to take care of her new baby, they could not pay for child care in Long Island NY, and we volunteered. Daughter in law divorced 1 year after birth, and we have now a wonderful 15 year old grandson.

Post by 2015 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:38 pm

No matter what I do, structure always seems to find me. Maybe it's because I've never been bored as I'm always creating something or other.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Atilla wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 pm
My father is in his mid-70s, retired and refers to it as "a good time of life". He lives by himself on 25 acres in the boonies about 8 miles from the nearest town.

Gets up early each day, drinks coffee and gets the paper from the mailbox.
Takes a long walk (5 miles plus) on country roads every morning, breakfast, in warmer months garden or yard work.

Noontime goes into town to Cutter's Way for coffee and to use their wifi. He is in dial up country.

Afternoon nap, maybe some more yard work/gardening.

Dinner then back to Cutter's for beer and bullsh!t at the old guys table.

Home by 10 for late night TV/sleep.

Sundays & Saturdays busy with church duties.

Sharp as ever and truly satisfied with his life. Drives 400 miles north to visit up here with family every 8 weeks.
I love this one. Thanks for sharing.
Funding secured

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Dontwasteit wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:24 pm
Meg...Dog theft is common= reward for thief.
Yep. Basically how it works is the dog disappears, then the next day, the thief calls the number on the lost dog signs you put out, and tells you they “found”your dog and would like to claim the $500 reward. More if it’s a cute purebred. You go to the parking lot at the liquor store, and there’s a guy in a van with about 10 dogs in it, including yours.

My dog would follow anyone, so I don’t leave her anywhere.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Both Kroger and Walmart, and likely others, have a system where you call (or click) in an order, they pick it, and have it waiting for pickup. The idea is you don't leave your car. But the car is not a requirement; as far as I know, you could just walk up with your dog, or bike up, etc. You balance between the fun of shopping yourself and the safety of the dog.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm

David Jay wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:24 pm
I’m new at this (retirement), but who has time for structure???
Amen ! I second this! Shortly after retiring, I wondered how I was able to WORK for those 30 years!!
Retirement is great! I made fitness and giving back and helping a priority !

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Umm, get a routine? Excercise, go outdoor, do your hobby or develop one, plus heavy dose of entertainment, repeat... Go to bed on a set time. Not that hard >_>;

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:09 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Yep. Basically how it works is the dog disappears, then the next day, the thief calls the number on the lost dog signs you put out, and tells you they “found”your dog and would like to claim the $500 reward. More if it’s a cute purebred. You go to the parking lot at the liquor store, and there’s a guy in a van with about 10 dogs in it, including yours.
It seems that it would be pretty easy to involve the police in such a case, so I suspect this is more urban myth than true.

I know someone who had a pet sitter lose their dog. After putting out flyers, the owners got such a call as above to meet them around midnight in the parking lot of the local mall. Needless to say, they did not fall for it. And they did find their dog a day or so later.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:55 am

Develop your retirement strategy first. For example, apply the computer science explore-exploit principle to your retired life:
- Start your retirement by exploring your interests and things you are curious about.
- As you identify activities that you really like, start shifting your time to these activities to exploit them.

The greatest killers of structure are television and the Internet. Your great plans may get derailed by addictive shows or browsing.
- Getting rid of TV is easy. Throw it away.
- To control your use of the Internet, read Cal Newport's book Digital Minimalism.

Good luck,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:22 am

livesoft wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:09 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm
It seems that it would be pretty easy to involve the police in such a case, so I suspect this is more urban myth than true.

I know someone who had a pet sitter lose their dog. After putting out flyers, the owners got such a call as above to meet them around midnight in the parking lot of the local mall. Needless to say, they did not fall for it. And they did find their dog a day or so later.
I know someone this happened to. That’s where I came up with the story. The thing is that you don’t necessarily know your dog has been stolen until you show up to get the dog from the Good Samaritan who “found” it. They weren’t asked to meet the person in the mall at midnight, it was broad daylight in place in the center of the neighborhood, a couple of hours after the flyers went up. Once they figured it out, they had to pay. If they hadn’t paid the extortion, they wouldn’t have got the dog back.

The cops later caught the guy, but friend never got any money back.

Anyway, do you really want to take this chance? My dog is cute, friendly, and would go home with anyone. Someone who wants a cute dog for themselves would be quite happy with her.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:22 am
Anyway, do you really want to take this chance? My dog is cute, friendly, and would go home with anyone. Someone who wants a cute dog for themselves would be quite happy with her.
The way my dog is attached to the fixed structure there is no way it would get loose without human help at the dog's collar, so I would call the cops straight away. My dog is not unfriendly, but knows its owner. So, yes, I am happy to take the chance at this particular local grocery store.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 am
quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:22 am
Anyway, do you really want to take this chance?
We've had a number of stolen dogs in our area (from backyards) -police say the crooks will pull the reward scam, craigslist resale if valuable, or use them for dog fighting bait. So our dog is always with us and on a leash.