How do YOU buy a car? (TrueCar, Costco, Carvana, etc)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
OldBallCoach

Re: How do YOU buy a car? (TrueCar, Costco, Carvana, etc)

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 am

I do things a little differently...I move around some for work and when I do I look up the local Toyota dealership that is closest my work and introduce myself to the general manager...I tell him/her this basically...I am going to come here for all my service work, tires, brakes whatever Large Marge 4 needs you do it and treat me fair...when its time to replace Marge you will give me a solid deal..AND I always expect the work to be done on time, fair pricing and you will pick up and deliver correct? I drive Land Cruisers and have for the last 125 years ish..I keep them til about 300K and then get a new one...about 7500-10000 miles I get the truck serviced and do whatever it needs at the dealer, tires, brakes, whatever..over the years I have found that they actually treat me pretty well..not the rock bottom price I know..but zero hassle and the quality is always there..invoice on my last car was 85,000 ish and I paid 76,000 plus taxes...spent maybe 10 minutes signing papers when they brought the car to me and I handed them a check. I told them up front I wanted a new truck, this is the color and this is the options...( actually there arent any options other than some floor mats, ect...). I looked online just for kicks and I got a decent deal, no hassle, no time wasted. No offense to car dealers or salesmen but we are not annexing a country or curing cancer here, this is just buying a car..why is this such a giant pain in the caboose for most people? My kids have learned to do the same thing and it seems to work...really the only place I have ever had an issue is the latest Honda dealership...DW bought a 2017 CRV Touring and it has more problems than a math book and Honda is trying to run and hide and the dealership is no better...but thats another story. Cheers! Enjoy your new car!!!

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:27 am

3504PIR wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:51 pm
I’m not sure about most manufacturers. I am not aware of any European manufacturers who do not take orders. So I’m not sure how much experience you may have doing it. I’ve bought my last 3 new cars through factory orders. I paid just over $45,000 for our Macan S in 2015 after it was all said and done. Prior to that I ordered a BMW 5 series in 2007 and paid $34,000. The pickup price on the Porsche was significantly better than prices I’ve seen at various Porsche dealers, but perhaps I could haggle to the point of getting close. FWIW, I was offered $43k for the Porsche last month at the dealer in Honolulu, but prices here are insane.

Not sure how it could be illegal. You take your certificate of origin to the DMV to register it, no problem. I’ve done it in Virginia, Florida and Hawaii without an issue.
Care to share how I order a BMW or Porsche directly from the manufacturer? I would love to see a phone number or website. I have never heard of it. All the Eurodelivery and the like that I am aware of, the orders go through the dealer. The price tends to be set by the manufacturer though and not the dealer. Feel free to correct me about that.

Direct sales is illegal in a lot of states because they passed laws banning direct car sales decades ago.:) This has been in the news recently because of Tesla. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_ ... p_disputes for a more detailed discussion.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:35 am

First I look online for a high-volume dealership within a few hours drive from me. These are the dealers with several hundred cars in stock, maybe 50+ of the model you want. They are able to offer low prices due to volume incentives they receive from the manufacturer. I also try to buy in December, prices can be lowest then. Then I conduct negotiations by email, get an out-the-door price, and go pick up the car. I've taken a train twice, and a bus once, for the several hour journey to the lowest price dealer for the car I wanted.
Semper Augustus

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Unfortunately I had to get a car last year when my car got totaled. I didn't have a lot of time but I did the following:

1. Set up a new email address on Google
2. Used my Google voice number
3. Did some research (new and used cars)
4. Sent out emails to a variety of dealers explaining what I wanted, and I had zero interest in bickering back and forth
5. Test drove a couple
6. Told them what I'd pay

I actually ended up getting a new car from the same dealer I bought my last one from. As others mentioned, I'm not going to waste countless hours trying to save a few hundred extra dollars. The dealer did exactly what I asked: Had most of the paper work done, did not try to sell me any extras (warranty, add-ons, etc.) and I was in and out of the dealer in ~30 minutes.

And trust me, if you don't set up an email address and phone number just for doing this, you'll regret all of the emails/calls you'll get for several months afterwards.

In my case I just didn't see the cost savings on a used car unless it was quite old and since I'm not that car savvy, I wasn't willing to risk getting stick with something that was going to spend a lot of time in the shop. The most important item to me in a car is its reliability.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:27 am
3504PIR wrote:
I’m not sure about most manufacturers. I am not aware of any European manufacturers who do not take orders. So I’m not sure how much experience you may have doing it. I’ve bought my last 3 new cars through factory orders. I paid just over $45,000 for our Macan S in 2015 after it was all said and done. Prior to that I ordered a BMW 5 series in 2007 and paid $34,000. The pickup price on the Porsche was significantly better than prices I’ve seen at various Porsche dealers, but perhaps I could haggle to the point of getting close. FWIW, I was offered $43k for the Porsche last month at the dealer in Honolulu, but prices here are insane.

Not sure how it could be illegal. You take your certificate of origin to the DMV to register it, no problem. I’ve done it in Virginia, Florida and Hawaii without an issue.
Care to share how I order a BMW or Porsche directly from the manufacturer? I would love to see a phone number or website. I have never heard of it. All the Eurodelivery and the like that I am aware of, the orders go through the dealer. The price tends to be set by the manufacturer though and not the dealer. Feel free to correct me about that.

Direct sales is illegal in a lot of states because they passed laws banning direct car sales decades ago.:) This has been in the news recently because of Tesla. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_ ... p_disputes for a more detailed discussion.
I went through a dealer in Stuttgart for the Porsche.

http://www.cars-intl.com/ Contact the owner, Pam Ewell for either a BMW or Porsche. She is the owner and will handle everything. If you’re not in the military or diplomatic corps, up until 2017 they still handled Euro delivery for people not affiliated. Just specify European delivery. BMW will ship for free and you’ll have to pay for shipping a Porsche.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 pm

3504PIR wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 pm
randomguy wrote:
3504PIR wrote:

http://www.cars-intl.com/ Contact the owner, Pam Ewell for either a BMW or Porsche. She is the owner and will handle everything. If you’re not in the military or diplomatic corps, up until 2017 they still handled Euro delivery for people not affiliated. Just specify European delivery. BMW will ship for free and you’ll have to pay for shipping a Porsche.
So the first one was ordered from a dealer and the second from a 3rd party that may or may not be considered a dealer:)

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 am

Not a dealer in the sense you think of a dealer. I never saw any of them face to face and there was never a negotiation. I used the Porsche website to select the car, color, options, etc. which displayed the cost at each step. Pam submitted the order, passed on to me the build week and available pickup window and took the deposit and payment. As a final step, she provided the certificate of origin, and Porsche put us up the preceding night in the Marriott in Leipzig, and the next morning we were picked up and taken to the factory to get the car.

lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 am

When I bought my car in 2015, I got the Costco price and was able to negotiate a couple thousand less than that with the dealer. I had to walk away from their "deal"; 30 minutes later they called me and gave me my price in addition to all-weather floor mats that I had wanted but had not previously asked for (they took them from another car on the lot).

In 2018, my DH bought a 2018 Toyota Tundra TRD. We did our research ahead of time and went in on Dec 31st and got a great end of the year deal.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:36 am

We looked around, read reviews and test drove a number of vehicles. After we decided on the exact specs we wanted I sent an email to all local dealers and a few out-of-area stating exactly what I wanted and asked for the best out-the-door price they could offer me on that vehicle. One of the nearby dealers had impressed me with their helpfulness and vehicle knowledge when test driving so when the quotes came back I circled back and allowed them to beat the best offer, which they did (they were #2 to begin with). The price was good and we got exactly what we wanted.

I insisted that all communication be via email and used an alias and associated email that I created at gmail. I knew that dealers would not honor this request if allowed so I also used a 'burner' phone number (you can google that) as well. I just ignored the calls to the burner number and all dealers who initially tried to call ended up following up via email with a quote.

The negotiations went more quickly and smoothly than I expected. We closed the deal about ten days after I sent the first email out. After the deal was done I notified all of the dealers that I had made the purchase (and from which dealer) and then cancelled the burner number and email account.

Following is the text of the letter I used.....
Hello,

My name is XXXX XXXX. I live in the XXXXXXX area and am in the market for a new 2019 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring model with Snowflake White Pearl Mica exterior and Sand interior. I would like to purchase and pick-up the vehicle prior to the end of this month.

I am not interested in any additional factory or dealer added options on the vehicle.

I am sending this inquiry to multiple dealers. I will purchase from the dealer with the best out-the-door price and will be paying the full amount with a check or other agreed-upon payment method.

If you are able to provide the above vehicle prior to XXXXXX and are interested in quoting me please respond to this email with your out-the-door price to include all taxes, licensing and other fees.

Thank you in advance for your interest in my business. I look forward to hearing from you.

XXXX
P.S. I did add some items that would usually be high profit margin for the dealer like floor and cargo area mats but purchased them online after-the-fact.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:43 am

We have a local VW dealer that is one of the largest in the country. Based on Cars.com, they have among the cheapest prices in the country, and by far the best deals west of the Mississippi. For our last car purchase, my wife called earlier in the day to confirm the internet price, and then we went in later that day and walked out an hour later with a new jetta for <$14K OTD. Of course they tried to sell us an extended warranty, but other than that it was a smooth deal. We've recommended several others to them since. Nobody touches their prices around here and we have loved our car, so we'll likely visit them again in a decade or so.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Last vehicle I bought was via the internet. Hopefully I will never buy another vehicle in a face to face interaction with a dealer except to pick the vehicle up and drop off a check after using the internet sales channel.

I am not interested in wasting time with salesperson doing the dance to buy at the dealership, with all the associated back and forth.

I used to spend a lot of my time trying to get the best price, but now the internet can be your friend.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:50 pm

3504PIR wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 am
Not a dealer in the sense you think of a dealer. I never saw any of them face to face and there was never a negotiation. I used the Porsche website to select the car, color, options, etc. which displayed the cost at each step. Pam submitted the order, passed on to me the build week and available pickup window and took the deposit and payment. As a final step, she provided the certificate of origin, and Porsche put us up the preceding night in the Marriott in Leipzig, and the next morning we were picked up and taken to the factory to get the car.
I have a wide range of wide of what I consider a dealer. The one price saturn dealers were still dealers. The internet department that offered to ship the car to my door directly was still a dealer. The BMW dealer doing eurodelivery with a fixed discount was also a dealer. The guy you show up and they don't let you leave is also a dealer. You are dealing with a 3rd party who does the ordering. Other than Tesla I am unaware of any mainstream manufacturer that will take orders directly. In general the less negotiation there is over prices, the less contentious the experience is.

nguy44

Post by nguy44 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 am

I look at a local dealer that have many sites in this area and the east coast. They are a "no haggle" outfit, they post their prices, the final amount only adds in tax + registration. The prices are generally good. There sales people are not paid on commission.

The only thing they might try to upsell is a warranty package. However, they do not push it. "Do you want to hear about additional warranty options?" "No, thank you." "Okay".

In addition, their service department seems fair and has gone out of the way for us. One of our sons bought a used car from them. Six months later it needed a major (>$2K) repair. The service manager called him and said though there was not a warranty, it was a problem that should have been caught before they sold the car, so the repair would be free. With that kind of service, it is a place I go to first for cars.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:23 pm

randomguy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:50 pm
3504PIR wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 am
I have a wide range of wide of what I consider a dealer. The one price saturn dealers were still dealers. The internet department that offered to ship the car to my door directly was still a dealer. The BMW dealer doing eurodelivery with a fixed discount was also a dealer. The guy you show up and they don't let you leave is also a dealer. You are dealing with a 3rd party who does the ordering. Other than Tesla I am unaware of any mainstream manufacturer that will take orders directly. In general the less negotiation there is over prices, the less contentious the experience is.
I fully understand and don’t disagree with your rationale. I view them as brokers in the cases I described but again, understand you’re reasoning.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 am

3504PIR wrote:
randomguy wrote:
3504PIR wrote:

What's the benefit of ordering through this site? Cheaper than euro delivery via Porsche or BMW?

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:26 am

Incendiary wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:15 am
3504PIR wrote:
randomguy wrote:
3504PIR wrote:

What's the benefit of ordering through this site? Cheaper than euro delivery via Porsche or BMW?
That site is one of the ways for Euro delivery of Porsche or bmw.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 am

3504PIR wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:26 am
Incendiary wrote:
3504PIR wrote:
randomguy wrote:
3504PIR wrote:

Is it cheaper than going through a dealer, typically?

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:33 am

Smk18 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 pm
livesoft wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm
First, I decided on a car that I wanted.

Second, I went to a web site where people who had bought that car reported all their out-the-door prices. I could see what all these folks actually paid. The lowest prices were always lower than any of the car pricing web sites.

Third, I went to the dealer armed with the knowledge that I didn't have to pay more than the lowest price found on that web site and negotiated down to that price. I only went to one dealer for a couple of hours.

Fourth, I had a a lot of fun doing negotiating because I already knew what dealers were going to sell the car for. I could chuckle at any numbers higher than the number I had already selected as their lowest possible price.

Fifth, I used a cash-back credit card to get the most cash back from my car purchase possible.

Sixth, I asked for a 0%-interest loan for the rest and they gave me the loan.
Great Advice. Just curious which website you looked to check the outdoor car prices?
I followed livesoft method for new car puchase... for example I bought CRV after checking OTD price paid in the crvownersclub.com
so as for camry you can check the otd price thread in camryforums or toyotaforum.
In edmunds, i see lot of people giving OTD price for few models...for rav4 check Rav4world -- OTD thread

Note: I dont recommend CRV due to oil dilution issue in 2017,18,19 models

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4- ... -paid.html
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... hread.html
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/802- ... -a-55.html
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:59 am

Try them, (TrueCar, Costco, Carvana, etc), as a starting point. Then travel to two dealers and negotiate prices in person. The best deal I have found was in person.

jellieroll

Post by jellieroll » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 am

I bought my last car at Carmax in 2011 - a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. Decent deal but I am not good at haggling so I think it was the best deal I could get. Also at that time, I could not devote multiple hours into extensive price research and frankly didn't want to. I just did minor amount of research. The whole transaction at Carmax was fast and straightforward. I liken it to buying a pair of shoes -lol! Walk in, try them on (or test drive) and write a check. Boom- done! When I changed my mind on their warranty I purchased, I walked in for my refund (fully expecting to get the runaround) & surprisingly walked out with a check in about 5 minutes. No drama! Btw, the car is still going strong with 137K miles on it. I plan to buy next car at Carmax.

shawcroft

Post by shawcroft » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 am

This is a great exchange of ideas and experiences. While I don't expect to buy a car soon, I have begun "preparing" myself since it is about a year before I think I may have to. The last one we bought was a 2014 Subaru Outback and it now has 79,000 .....it was our third Subaru. We do like the car but I've been told there is a major servicing on its horizon in another 20,000 miles- a timing chain and a bunch of other things. I'm definitely going to follow the suggestions offered by my fellow Bogleheads.

So a Subaru would be high on the radar screen when the need arises. Our 2014 doesn't have the "fancy electronics" which I have seen in the 2018 Outback we recently rented while on a trip to the MidWest. Because my bride is a bit of a technophobe, I have to factor in her "electronic technology" preferences ( or discomfort with) to the mechanical and reliability issues I will explore. It does seem to me that the electronic safety features are mostly beneficial but I have read some horror stories about cars having electronic system failures which become difficult to trace and correct.

That is a topic for a different discussion thread!

Shawcroft

radeon962

Post by radeon962 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:02 am

Buy used from a local dealer. He treats my family well over the years and there is a lot to be said when you establish a relationship (having 6 kids, 5 of which currently drive and 8 vehicles at one time keeps them interested as well).

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 am
3504PIR wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
3504PIR wrote:
randomguy wrote:

100%. While the broker is paid some amount, you eliminate the middle men and all those charges that add up. Note that Porsche doesn’t ship at no cost, that will add about $1000 or so to the cost, but you’re still saving. BMW ships for free following euro delivery.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:18 am

3504PIR wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am
Incendiary wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 am
3504PIR wrote:
Incendiary wrote:
3504PIR wrote:

100%. While the broker is paid some amount, you eliminate the middle men and all those charges that add up. Note that Porsche doesn’t ship at no cost, that will add about $1000 or so to the cost, but you’re still saving. BMW ships for free following euro delivery.
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Any idea if there are other sites that offer this no middle man option?

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:24 am

I usually buy a car that's 4 years old. I find the model I want, I look on Craigslist for a for sale by owner, then follow the posting for a while.

If the car lingers, I contact the seller, and casually ask about it. Take a drive, then go home without an offer. The next day I make a lowball offer. They never take it, but after a day or two, they get anxious, and usually come down to my offer.

This only works if you're not in a hurry or fall in love with a car. I do neither.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:29 am

Deleted