Car Replacement + Moving

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wannabogle

Car Replacement + Moving

Post by wannabogle » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am

Scenario: Single, no kids, renter, Moving from MD to FL. If contemplating replacing car, is it better to:
  • Sell in MD (CarMax), buy in FL.
  • Sell in MD, buy in MD, then move to FL.
  • Move to FL, sell and buy in FL.
I’m curious how things like registration, taxes, transport costs, etc. impact the decision. To be clear, person does not need a new car right now, but probably within a year so is considering the options prior to moving.

cheese_breath

Re: Car Replacement + Moving

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:41 am

New car or used car? If you're thinking of buying a new car the transportation cost difference between MD and FL could affect your decision.

If you're thinking used car the market values might be different for the same vehicle in MD and FL. Try Kelley Blue Book or one of the online pricing sites to compare approximate prices between different zip codes.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

zlltt

Post by zlltt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:00 pm

sell in MD, buy a new one in FL

makes more sense

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:05 pm

Are you shipping the car, or driving it?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:13 pm

You'll need to figure out the registration and tax issues yourself, but know that if you trade vs. selling it yourself, many states subtract the value of the old car from the total price before computing sales tax. I know Florida does, no idea if Maryland does.

Each region has different rebates, many manufacturers allow you to look at them by zip and you can see the difference. For example, usually a Ford has more rebates in SE Michigan than elsewhere. You get the rebates where the car is being registered, not where you buy it.

Some states have a look-back feature, i.e. you buy the car in Maryland and then take it to Florida, Florida says "nice try, you owe us X". I believe that California has that.

If you drive it 1,000 miles, you lower the value, and pay gas and perhaps tolls. If you tow it the towing vehicle gets worse MPG. If you pay to ship it yourself (vs. a company move), it costs money.

But if someone doesn't need a car for a year, you need to figure that out also.
Avid user of forums on a variety of interests - financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair and more. Enjoy learning and passing on knowledge.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:53 pm

If there is nothing about the car that would make it inherently unsuitable for Florida (no A/C for example) and doesn't have any major problems, I would keep the car through the move.

I would prefer to be settled in the new living situation before making a decision on a car. That would allow me to better understand my expenses, parking situation, commute time/distance, typical road conditions, etc. I might price insurance for the cars I was considering.

My decision would ignore the costs of registration and taxes. If they have owned the car more than six months, there should be no sales tax due in Florida. Registration is a cost for any vehicle, so that would be a wash.

Transport costs to ship the car would only be a factor if the current vehicle is very low value. I would not spend $500-$1,000 shipping a car that isn't worth much more than that.

Not sure what the situation is with the relocation but moving companies will not pack some items in their truck. Driving the vehicle from MD to FL would provide an opportunity to carry a small quantity of items that the moving company will not take or perhaps would be unwise (high value things, sentimental items, important records, etc.) to entrust to them.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm

If you are moving a household to FL you probably don't want to ship valuable and expensive items. Put them in a car and drive down.

Unless there is an unusual tax situation: an MD car would be suspected of rust and corrosion damage in FL. It might easier to sell in MD.

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 pm

wannabogle wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am
person does not need a new car right now.
Don't overthink this. If you don't need a new car, then don't buy one just because you're moving.

Drive your existing vehicle down to FL, use it for the next X year(s), and buy a new vehicle when you are ready.

Post by 123 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm

A car from Maryland might last a lot longer when it is moved to Florida than if it stayed in Maryland. Cars can be snowbirds just as easily as people.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm

You'll pay something in taxes and registration either way. At least for longer moves, shipping is the primary relevant cost.

When we moved cross-country, we shipped the new car and sold the old car to family. Haven't needed to replace it yet!

For MD to FL, unless you were replacing the car anyway, I would just drive. 95 isn't a bad road trip, and Savannah is a nice spot to stop if you want to break it up and do the drive over 2 days (it's a really long day otherwise).

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm

wannabogle wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am
Scenario: Single, no kids, renter, Moving from MD to FL. If contemplating replacing car, is it better to:
  • Sell in MD (CarMax), buy in FL.
  • Sell in MD, buy in MD, then move to FL.
  • Move to FL, sell and buy in FL.
I’m curious how things like registration, taxes, transport costs, etc. impact the decision. To be clear, person does not need a new car right now, but probably within a year so is considering the options prior to moving.
If they are moving themselves, just rent a car dolly and pull it behind the moving truck. Costs only a few hundred dollars and you don't have all the added stress of selling and buying vehicles while trying to move.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:04 am

You can actually have the car in the moving van. They build a platform over it so other stuff is stored above it. I forget what this costs compared to an auto transport company.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm
If you are moving a household to FL you probably don't want to ship valuable and expensive items. Put them in a car and drive down.
I believe this might be an important factor. Take your time after moving to Florida to determine what sort of car you want/need.

pj1983

Post by pj1983 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

badger42 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm
You'll pay something in taxes and registration either way. At least for longer moves, shipping is the primary relevant cost.

When we moved cross-country, we shipped the new car and sold the old car to family. Haven't needed to replace it yet!

For MD to FL, unless you were replacing the car anyway, I would just drive. 95 isn't a bad road trip, and Savannah is a nice spot to stop if you want to break it up and do the drive over 2 days (it's a really long day otherwise).
There's also the Auto Train (https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train) if the destination is reasonably near or south of Orlando. Pricing is season- and direction-dependent; I "shipped" a car from FL to MD for less than it would have cost in gas+meals, plus I avoided the stress of a 14+ hour drive.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am

pj1983 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am
badger42 wrote:

There's also the Auto Train (https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train) if the destination is reasonably near or south of Orlando. Pricing is season- and direction-dependent; I "shipped" a car from FL to MD for less than it would have cost in gas+meals, plus I avoided the stress of a 14+ hour drive.
BUT - you cannot stop at "South of the Border" :sharebeer

badger42

Post by badger42 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am
pj1983 wrote:
badger42 wrote:

You're always a wiener at Pedro's!

retired_tom

Post by retired_tom » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:07 am

dm200 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 am
adamthesmythe wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm
I believe this might be an important factor. Take your time after moving to Florida to determine what sort of car you want/need.
I agree to wait until you are in Florida to purchase a vehicle. In my own situation, moving from Wisconsin to Florida, I decided to buy a Mustang Convertible which I would never do in Wisconsin. I also picked up a Harley soon after that.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm

badger42 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am
dm200 wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:04 am
pj1983 wrote:
badger42 wrote:

You're always a wiener at Pedro's!
Back many decades ago, the route from Washington DC to Florida was not 100% expressway. Interestingly, on one trip I took, the interstate expressway stopped and took you right by the entrance to "South Of The Border". Added this to my lifetime "bucket list" of "Tourist Traps". :sharebeer