3 year old tires installed (Sam's club). Should I do anything about this?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jimmyrules712

Re: 3 year old tires installed (Sam's club). Should I do anything about this?

Post by jimmyrules712 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:38 pm

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:49 pm
ponyboy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 am
Ive never heard of this "six" year rule for tires. Who makes this stuff up?
Right? :oops:

There is absolutely no need to change tires in any specific time frame. Condition is the only factor.
As rubber ages it becomes brittle/less flexible and more prone to slide instead of stick to the road. Age absolutely affects the safety and traction of a tire. Do some basic research and you'll learn the same.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Does anyone else keep reading this title as "3 year old installed tires" and thinking it's about child labor?

Good reminder to check, though. We have a car that isn't driven often, I should check the tire age.

KYBLUE113

Post by KYBLUE113 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:45 pm

I had a tire replacement about a month ago at Costco for my RAV4. I just looked at the date code and it is 4718 on Michelin Defender T&H.

I had replaced the tires four years previously with Continental tires. I perceived in two events recently with the Continental tires that hydroplaning was occuring during hard rain at interstate speed conditions. The tread was fine. I believe it is well accepted that the compounds deteriorate with time. I wish to choose my tolerance level with this deterioration just as with funds or anything else in life.

It is my belief that I gain a level of trust and anticipation of how my vehicle handles in various conditions. When that becomes an unknown it needs to be refreshed with the best judgement of risk vs reward to change those factors.

I do not want to be out of control or stranded in a high risk condition, with vehicles with distracted drivers around me. For that reason, if I can make predictable reduction to the risk, and have the reasonable ability to reduce the risk factor, I would choose to do so.

The tires have a shelf life for a reason. Just like bread, milk, and probably medical gloves used for surgery, the limit is justified.

I would hope I would not have three year old tires installed on my vehicle and I believe I would be dissatisfied.

gac1979

Post by gac1979 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Can you do a chargeback on your credit card?

Topic Author
oko

Post by oko » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:28 pm

gac1979 wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:06 pm
Can you do a chargeback on your credit card?
I don't think so. If I do that, they will ask Sam's if tires were installed. And Sam's will say "yes". I don't think the credit card guys will care or understand what the problem about 3 year old tires.

Also I did not use my Amex but used BoA credit card. Amex has a much higher chance of success with chargebacks. I've never even tried a chargeback with a non-Amex card.

Normally I fight in these situations but I am getting older and I now think it is not worth a fight. Who knows what will happen in 3 years from now. My wife was pretty surprised when I said I won't do anything else for this.

Corporate America won against a consumer. I am sure Goodyear is happy that they could sell their 3 year old tires for full price. Sam's should be glad also.

At least people who read this thread (and I) are more educated. I want to thank to everyone who read this thread and supported. I am sure most of you now will ask for DOT dates before your car's tires are replaced.