Would you eat lab grown meat?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cdu7

Would you eat lab grown meat?

Post by cdu7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Just read an article in the NYT saying that the meat industry is very concerned about lab grown meat to the point of trying to get it banned / specially labeled. Apparently this stuff is 3-5 years out from being on our store shelves. I personally think it sounds great and would happily try it, but I wanted to see what my fellow bogleheads think about this new frontier.

steadyeddy

Re: Would you eat lab grown meat?

Post by steadyeddy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:03 pm

Only if it tasted good.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Meat grown in a petri dish as opposed to meat grown on an animal? This would not interest me.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm

I've probably eaten worse things.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Some are predisposed to consistently lose money. Don't be a sheep.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:11 pm

At least it isn't reprocessed "old meat" AKA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green :mrgreen:

- Ron

Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

steadyeddy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:03 pm
Only if it tasted good.
Let’s assume that it tastes the same as high quality beef and is cheaper in cost.

khh

Post by khh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:14 pm

If they grow bacon, do we get to count it as a vegetable?

Topic Author
cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:16 pm

I actually read that the companies doing this (there is a lot of investment money in it right now) can actually use different seasonings / mediums to grow the meat and give it a variety of tasty flavors. They also seem to have gotten past the issue of muscle to fat ratios in the meat which is the primary taste factor.

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Sure. Why not? Time marches on. I never thought I'd need a cell phone, but now I can't live without it.

I don't eat a lot of meat as it is. I like Tofurky Deli slices on my sandwiches, or Field Roast Wild Mushroom Deli Slices, but if I don't have time to get to the health food store, I'll use lunch meat on occasion. Can't stand on ceremony. The sandwich must go on.

We've got the substitute meat... for sandwiches!

:D

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:20 pm

I would try it. Alternatives are always good to have.

You would be less likely to get sick from it.

Healthier meat may be necessary. I'm not a fish or tofu fan, so
if red meat and bacon are off the menu due to health, this may be the only way to get meat.

The texture would probably be my biggest objection. I've had meat substitutes, and the texture had turned me off, not the taste.

scout1

Post by scout1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:22 pm

Yes. Why not?

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:25 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:10 pm
Meat grown in a petri dish as opposed to meat grown on an animal? This would not interest me.
So you're saying I should drop the petrimeat.com url I have listed for sale? I thought it sounded cute.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Post by alter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm

How could you have any lab-grown pudding if you don't eat your lab-grown meat?

shanefairman

Post by shanefairman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm

I have no moral or philosophical issue with it.

I will try it as soon as it's reasonably available just to say I tried it. On the other hand regular use will depend on price. If they can manufacture it for less than regular meat sign me up. I'm always interested in finding a better way to buy things. On the other hand if it ends up having a price premium to it even after wide adoption I'll pass.

I grew up on a farm and we raised and home slaughtered / processed plenty of animals. I'm not opposed to eating animals. For me it's really going to come down to price and quality.

I can see fast food and restaurants adopting it earlier even with a small price premium. I would suspect they can be very consistent with lab grown meat. In nation wide or world wide restaurants and chains consistency is very important.
“You must not only think for yourself, you must plan for yourself, and you must plan ahead, and you must live up to these plans. You must know exactly what you want to do.” -George Carlin, Boston Rant

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Can’t wait for the home version of a meat lab. Home-lab pork tenderloin and home brewed IPA for dinner tonight.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:30 pm

I could easily be wrong, but i believe their will be alternatives to meat in the future, and meat consumption will be a fraction of what it is today, if not be illegal to consume in some countries. This will take place because the alternatives will be comparable, cheaper, healthier, and environmentally and politically popular. I don't see this happening in my lifetime, but could happen at the turn of the next century.

Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:35 pm

For the naysayers, would you prefer a nice insect-based protein source instead?

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:36 pm

I would start eating beef/pork meat again if it were sustainable, like with lab grown protein.

I mainly eat chicken for protein, but would consider insects if it was palletable and sustainable

Changing ones diet is pretty low hanging fruit to reduce an individuals carbon footprint, if u care about that stuff.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

kacang

Post by kacang » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Would you consider the Impossible Burger lab grown? The heme protein, a key ingredient to making it "meat-like", is produced via fermentation by genetically engineered yeast. Not too dissimilar to how some drugs are made. It tastes good, like meat, even gives me the "I ate too much protein" aftertaste when I have a burger.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Absolutely

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes. Out of respect for our climate and my children, I’d love to give up eating beef altogether and just eat fake beef or become vegetarian.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Svensk Anga wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:35 pm
For the naysayers, would you prefer a nice insect-based protein source instead?
A few months ago one of my Hispanic coworkers brought in some fried Saltamontes (grasshoppers). They were delicious--I could have eaten the whole bag.

To OP's question, yes I will definitely try lab-grown meat when I get the chance.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:51 pm

No. I eat very little meat so when I eat it I don’t want it from a petri dish.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Folks eat and drink lab-grown stuff all the time. For instance, any fermented product such as wine and beer is essentially "lab grown." Cheese is for all practical purposes lab-grown as well.

But there is no lab-grown meat now. That is a disparaging term that ranchers and other meat producers along with their lobbying organizations have promoted. Nothing wrong with that. There is not even lab grown protein unless you count nutritional yeast and beers. It will probably always be too expensive. Plants and animals are better at making protein which goes into these plant-based protein products.

But what makes the new foods different is that the hemes used in them are produced by microorganisms and perhaps plants.

Look at what the dairy farmers did for non-cow milk products. Half the "dairy" coolers in our grocery stores are now filled with plant-based drinks. Indeed, it is no longer a negative to not be labelled "milk" and consumers actively seek out non-animal products.

In the future, consumers will actively seek out non-animal meat substitutes and will turn up their noses at real meat. The producers of these substitutes will want to have legit labels to make sure consumers know there is no meat in their products, so cattle ranchers and farm bureaus are doing them a favor.

Here is a link to the NYTimes article mentioned by the OP: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/09/tech ... duced.html which seems to cover all sides of the issue nicely.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:36 pm
I would start eating beef/pork meat again if it were sustainable, like with lab grown protein.

I mainly eat chicken for protein, but would consider insects if it was palletable and sustainable

Changing ones diet is pretty low hanging fruit to reduce an individuals carbon footprint, if u care about that stuff.
Shrimp & Lobster is related to cockroach, off course traif is good thing :)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Cycle wrote:
I don't think insects have that much protein in them.

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 pm

I would try it. For someone who rarely eats meat, I could see where lab grown meat could easily provide all of my meat allocation.

dognose

Post by dognose » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Since this is technically an investing site, what’s the safe withdrawal rate for lab grown meat?

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Definitely would. Being a vegetarian. I've already eaten the first non meat burger that "bleeds".
Meat eating friends stated it came out pretty good.
If this is better, I would jump on it.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:11 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:03 pm
Cycle wrote:
Not everyone agrees with you.

PJW

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Yes, I would at least try lab-grown meat, but only after a lot of other people had done so and had no more resultant health problems than we get from traditionally-produced meat.

I think the prospect has a lot of potential, but I am not an early adopter.

PJW

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:14 pm

DIY lab-grown meat is on the horizon:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... necessary/

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:39 pm

averagedude wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:30 pm
I could easily be wrong, but i believe their will be alternatives to meat in the future, and meat consumption will be a fraction of what it is today, if not be illegal to consume in some countries. This will take place because the alternatives will be comparable, cheaper, healthier, and environmentally and politically popular. I don't see this happening in my lifetime, but could happen at the turn of the next century.

What kind of hell are you describing where it would be illegal to consume meat? Is this the world where the vegans have a revolution?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 pm

With the increased population and strain on supplies it may not be an option in future years. I would have concerns.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm a vegetarian, so no to flesh, but there are plenty of veggie "meats" that taste good. Morningstar does an excellent job with fake bacon, sausage, etc.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:09 pm
Definitely would. Being a vegetarian. I've already eaten the first non meat burger that "bleeds".
Meat eating friends stated it came out pretty good.
If this is better, I would jump on it.
I avoid the stuff with fake blood. Yuk.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:11 pm
livesoft wrote:
Cycle wrote:
Not everyone agrees with you.

PJW
I get that. Many people also believe that the exoskeleton of insects is made of protein. It is made of a polysaccharide: chitin.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Beats Soylent Green
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:47 pm

Lab grown meat would be awesome. Lab grown lobster and veal meat for the same price as lab grown chicken...sign me up.

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Why not? Take a look at the ingredient label of many of the processed foods on grocery shelves today. Lots of chemicals with almost unpronounceable names. Can lab grown meat be worse than some of these chemical concoctions? Lab grown meat will will probably eventually replace much of animal sourced meat, for any number of reasons: financial, ethical, health etc.

Phronesis

Post by Phronesis » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:54 pm

I don't know about lab grown meat. If the price, flavor, and nutrition profile is right. Seems like there's more utility there than slaughtering animals.

I hear the Impossible Burger 2.0 is quite good. Its not lab grown but plant based. I can get behind that for sure.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:59 pm

I'm surprised its taking this long to become a viable food source option. 20+ years ago we were growing turkey muscle in the lab for research purposes. Just another type of "farming", so yes, I'd eat it. I wonder if this would be in the biotech sector, or the agriculture sector.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:06 pm

Perhaps, but it's unlikely to be cheaper to produce than the way we get meat now.

Truth be told, most of us have probably eaten far worse things than 'lab grown meat'. For instance, rat hairs are present in almost all grains, and a certain number of them per pound are legally acceptable because they are simply unavoidable.

Our local grocery store sells beef sticks from a regional producer, and the primary ingredient is beef hearts. They taste fine, and our daughter loves them.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:08 pm

It has to make it to market as a viable product first but why not?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Recently we had an Impossible Burger. All plant based. Fell apart some, apparently there is now a new recipe to help fix that.

It was quite good, bit side by side with a real burger it was no comparison. Cost $1 more, about 10%.

https://impossiblefoods.com/food/
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 pm

livesoft wrote:
Cycle wrote:
Some common household insects have a better protein to calorie ratio than beef. The protein to mass ratio is 50 to 80%:

https://www.the-scientist.com/thought-e ... diet-39838

But maybe you meant per organism: beef cow vs house cricket. You are right about that.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Mingus wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:39 pm
averagedude wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:30 pm

What kind of hell are you describing where it would be illegal to consume meat? Is this the world where the vegans have a revolution?
I know it sounds crazy, but who would had believed 200 years ago that they would turn raw human fecal matter into drinking water, and people would drink it. I bet you have done it.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:16 pm

I'd eat many things but prefer meat with some fat!
4nursebee

ttjt_99

Post by ttjt_99 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:19 pm

If it moos or oinks after they grow it, I’ll eat it.

Boulder92

Post by Boulder92 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:22 pm

Absolutely. Lab grown meat without the antibiotics, slaughtering, and other chemicals farmers spray around would be better in my opinion. There was a recent WSJ article about farmers no longer being able to drink their own well water because of contamination. In the article it was also pointed out when they are spraying during certain times of year they cannot let their kids go out an play because the chemicals are carcinogenic. Lab grown meat — sign me up.