Business Class to Japan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Business Class to Japan

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 am

Which is a better Airlines to Japan from LAX? I’ve been reading online but can’t really decided. I need to know which airline to transfer my next reward points to. Also my preference is the shortest nonstop route.

Japan Airlines
Cathay Airlines
Singapore Airlines

barnaclebob

Re: Business Class to Japan

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 am

I think Singapore will have the others beat for seats and service. You'll have to post the routes or decide for that by yourself. JAL might be the only nonstop as I bet most of the others stop in Singapore or Hong Kong.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 am
Which is a better Airlines to Japan from LAX? I’ve been reading online but can’t really decided. I need to know which airline to transfer my next reward points to. Also my preference is the shortest nonstop route.

Japan Airlines
Cathay Airlines
Singapore Airlines
Cathay is terrific, but I don't believe it flies non-stop from USA to Japan. It would connect in Hong Kong.
Singapore may be similar (no non-stop).

Use Matrix software to see the routing of all major airlines.
You can then also use SeatGuru to look at the seating, and read reviews.

We flew JL to Japan, and - through Hong Kong - CX.
Using points, we had the immense comfort of F, where both were fine, but CX was far beyond, especially the very wide beds (almost twin size).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 am

Japan Airlines
Cathay Airlines
Singapore Airlines
Cathay is terrific, but I don't believe it flies non-stop from USA to Japan. It would connect in Hong Kong.
Singapore may be similar (no non-stop).

Use Matrix software to see the routing of all major airlines.
You can then also use SeatGuru to look at the seating, and read reviews.

We flew JL to Japan, and - through Hong Kong - CX.
Using points, we had the immense comfort of F, where both were fine, but CX was far beyond, especially the very wide beds (almost twin size).

RM
Actually, my husband does want to stop in Hong Kong. His parents lived there for 6 years. How many days do they let you be there for stop over. Can you choose? Otherwise we may fly from Japan to Hong Kong.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:06 pm

We've flown them all and they are all great especially when measured against American based airlines.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:09 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:06 pm
We've flown them all and they are all great especially when measured against American based airlines.
Agree!

We use AAdvantage points, but we avoid flying on AA whenever possible.
Both our JL and CX flights were using AA points. Those "airline awards partners" are extremely useful!

RM

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm

How would you rate them if you have to? I don’t have any AA point, but I have BritishAirways and possible thinking of opening an account with Cathay Airlines because you can book using Asiamiles to fly on JAL.
Plus I also can possibly fly from HNL to Japan through Hawaiian Airlines, I have enough miles there.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:11 pm

Cathay had a huge mistake fare for J and F class earlier this year and basically sold out the cheaper cash/award fare buckets so if you are looking for awards availability to/from US for 2019 good luck it will be nearly impossible to find (2020 should be ok since that had not opened up at time of mistake fare). I have flown Cathay (CX) in both F and J and they are great. I had an issue with my return to the US this summer on a Cathay flight caused by weather and Cathay took great care of my son and me. They were truly awesome with service in a way the US carriers are not. I have not yet flown JAL or Singapore but their reputations are excellent. Also any reason you aren't including ANA? I flew ANA F class this summer and they were fantastic. I think only Japanese carriers are going to fly direct. Honestly all these Asian carriers are going to be great to me it would come down to where I could get availability, a good schedule and which had the lowest cost in points and cash (for taxes and fees).
Last edited by THY4373 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:14 pm

I haven’t thought about ANA Airlines but I’ve read they have older seats.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm
How would you rate them if you have to?
Plus I also can possibly fly from HNL to Japan through Hawaiian Airlines.
I would rank them as you listed them Japan, Cathay then Singapore. We most often use Cathay just because when booking trips, they seem to have more flight options than the others do. I would give Japan airlines top nod simply for the quality of service on the flight. But for me the differences between them are minor.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:18 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I would rank them as you listed them Japan, Cathay then Singapore. We most often use Cathay just because when booking trips, they seem to have more flight options than the others do. I would give Japan airlines top nod simply for the quality of service on the flight. But for me the differences between them are minor.
Would you put Hawaiian Airlines as absolute bottom. I could also book JAL on Hawaiian Airlines from Hawaii.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:18 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Honestly my experience is that preferences come down to personal opinion. What I like you may not and vice versa. Also a number of airlines will have different seats depending on the equipment you are flying this is probably a bigger difference than the differences between the Asia carriers you mention. I believe JAL for example still has angled flat seats on some flights and I have heard that Cathay's A350s are beat up compared to their older 777 counterparts (I have only flown them on the 777 so no experience). Questions and research into such details are probably better on FlyerTalk.

If I were you, I would first look for award availability and then work back from there on which of the available carriers are the "best" for you.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:20 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:18 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Honestly my experience is that preferences come down to personal opinion. What I like you may not and vice versa. Also a number of airlines will have different seats depending on the equipment you are flying this is probably a bigger difference than the differences between the Asia carriers you mention. I believe JAL for example still has angled flat seats on some flights and I have heard that Cathay's A350s are beat up compared to their older 777 counterparts (I have only flown them on the 777 so no experience). Questions and research into such details are probably better on FlyerTalk.

If I were you, I would first look for award availability and then work back from there on which of the available carriers are the "best" for you.
I’ve been reading flyer talk, but I must not know how to read them correctly because they are organized by Airlines. I didn’t see any comparison between airlines.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:24 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Would you put Hawaiian Airlines as absolute bottom. I could also book JAL on Hawaiian Airlines from Hawaii.
Not sure what that last sentence means.
You would get ticketed by JL, for a flight operated by Hawaiian Airlines?
That would be no different from ticketing directly on Hawaiian, although pricing (cash or awards points) might differ.

What matters, of course, is which airline *operates* the flight... and thus which equipment and crew are used.

You might also want to start exploring FlyerTalk.com
(Note, however, that they are not always as friendly to newbies as BH is, unfortunately, although that seems to be getting better.)

RM

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:24 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I have never flow Hawaiian Airlines so can't rate them.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:24 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:20 pm
I’ve been reading flyer talk, but I must not know how to read them correctly because they are organized by Airlines. I didn’t see any comparison between airlines.
There are usually threads in one of those airline forums comparing that airline to others. Try using Google to find them. An example: "jal vs cathay pacific business class site:flyertalk.com" (without quotes) . That brings up a number of threads. You can also search for blog reviews which will give you photos and describe the pros and cons.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:26 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:24 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Not sure what that last sentence means.
You would get ticketed by JL, for a flight operated by Hawaiian Airlines?
That would be no different from ticketing directly on Hawaiian, although pricing (cash or awards points) might differ.

What matters, of course, is which airline *operates* the flight... and thus which equipment and crew are used.

You might also want to start exploring FlyerTalk.com
(Note, however, that they are not always as friendly to newbies as BH is, unfortunately, although that seems to be getting better.)

RM
No, I mean flying on Hawaiian Airlines to Japan. That’s my 4th option.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm
Actually, my husband does want to stop in Hong Kong. His parents lived there for 6 years. How many days do they let you be there for stop over. Can you choose? Otherwise we may fly from Japan to Hong Kong.
See if there is a way to transfer to Alaska points. Alaskas mileage plan allows for free stopovers in the hub cities when you book their partner airlines.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:33 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
See if there is a way to transfer to Alaska points. Alaskas mileage plan allows for free stopovers in the hub cities when you book their partner airlines.
Alaska Airlines will be one leg of the trip, I have to open credit cards with them. I plan to do first class there with JAL from Alaska Airlines, I’ve read the difference between business and first class is only 10,000 miles. The other leg might be another airline.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:36 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Alaska Airlines will be one leg of the trip, I have to open credit cards with them. I plan to do first class there with JAL from Alaska Airlines, I’ve read the difference between business and first class is only 10,000 miles. The other leg might be another airline.
When you book your tickets through alaskas' website make sure to check the difference for an open jaw flight with stopover in a city vs breaking up the legs individually. For example we booked a ticket from Seattle to Seoul, 5 days in Seoul, then Seoul to Singapore and it was the same amount of miles as Seattle to Seoul ticket alone would have been.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:54 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
When you book your tickets through alaskas' website make sure to check the difference for an open jaw flight with stopover in a city vs breaking up the legs individually. For example we booked a ticket from Seattle to Seoul, 5 days in Seoul, then Seoul to Singapore and it was the same amount of miles as Seattle to Seoul ticket alone would have been.
Thank you, this is wonderful information. I might talk my husband into Seoul, while he has been there many times, I haven’t.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:03 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:54 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Thank you, this is wonderful information. I might talk my husband into Seoul, while he has been there many times, I haven’t.
Yeah the main hubs for Alaska's partners in Asia are Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong, and maybe Osaka. That trick might work for any of those cities there and back.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:14 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:

<snip>

If you are going to use any of the top international airlines, keep a watch out for the "double beds".

At first, I think this was only Singapore Suites (F), and limited routes (and very limited availability with points).
But now, it seems that some other airlines are adding middle seat/bed pairs that can be opened up together, in J. I don't remember which airlines are doing this, or if it is operational yet (or when it would start).

The difference with Singapore Suites, especially on their *newly* configured Suites, is that you actually have a sort of private "room"... and the new ones seem to be surprisingly large. And they have windows, which the "middle configuration" obviously doesn't.

I'm trying to get us on one of those Singapore Suites, if for no other reason than just the fun experience, and a terrific photo op :D

And then there is the "Residence" on (is it Emirates or Etihad?), which is a little apartment, with, mais oui, a private Butler...
Whichever airline that is also has the "Apartments", which were "more special" until Singapore's new Suites.

By the way, IF you connect through Hong Kong in CX F, there are some remarkable F lounges there.
We didn't have enough time to enjoy it all, because we had to leave suddenly as a Typhoon made a direct approach to Hong Kong... so we left a day early, and rather quickly. That was after the hotel put flyers under the guest room doors about Typhoon warnings/protocols, and the news showed the storm heading for "maximum". Of course, it didn't end up being "maximum", but there was a lot of rain, even the day we left.
Just one of the new adventures of travel :wink:

Do use the SeatGuru to double check equipment and seat/bed types, although there can always be planned or unexpected equipment changes, of course.

Our TA had us open an Alaska Airlines membership right away (as soon as we started using him), as there is (or was?) something like a 30 day waiting period before one can transfer points... or something like that :confused
He's the one who also helps us get awards ticketing, and that has been invaluable a few times,including last minute changes to our "preferred" airline/equipment/etc. Some of it, esp F, isn't bookable (without certain status) until ~ 2 weeks before the flight, plus others sometimes release extra awards seats a few days before departure.

Enjoy!

RM

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:50 pm

I have been on them all, admittedly in one case many years ago.

All are delightful. But the differences between particular airplanes may be significant. This depends on how recently the plane has been refurbished.

On JAL very recently my plane had a very odd arrangement, more like cubicles than anything else. It was just fine all the same.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:19 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:14 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:

<snip>

If you are going to use any of the top international airlines, keep a watch out for the "double beds".

At first, I think this was only Singapore Suites (F), and limited routes (and very limited availability with points).
But now, it seems that some other airlines are adding middle seat/bed pairs that can be opened up together, in J. I don't remember which airlines are doing this, or if it is operational yet (or when it would start).

The difference with Singapore Suites, especially on their *newly* configured Suites, is that you actually have a sort of private "room"... and the new ones seem to be surprisingly large. And they have windows, which the "middle configuration" obviously doesn't.

I'm trying to get us on one of those Singapore Suites, if for no other reason than just the fun experience, and a terrific photo op :D

And then there is the "Residence" on (is it Emirates or Etihad?), which is a little apartment, with, mais oui, a private Butler...
Whichever airline that is also has the "Apartments", which were "more special" until Singapore's new Suites.

By the way, IF you connect through Hong Kong in CX F, there are some remarkable F lounges there.
We didn't have enough time to enjoy it all, because we had to leave suddenly as a Typhoon made a direct approach to Hong Kong... so we left a day early, and rather quickly. That was after the hotel put flyers under the guest room doors about Typhoon warnings/protocols, and the news showed the storm heading for "maximum". Of course, it didn't end up being "maximum", but there was a lot of rain, even the day we left.
Just one of the new adventures of travel :wink:

Do use the SeatGuru to double check equipment and seat/bed types, although there can always be planned or unexpected equipment changes, of course.

Our TA had us open an Alaska Airlines membership right away (as soon as we started using him), as there is (or was?) something like a 30 day waiting period before one can transfer points... or something like that :confused
He's the one who also helps us get awards ticketing, and that has been invaluable a few times,including last minute changes to our "preferred" airline/equipment/etc. Some of it, esp F, isn't bookable (without certain status) until ~ 2 weeks before the flight, plus others sometimes release extra awards seats a few days before departure.

Enjoy!

RM
I thought about Singapore suites 2 years ago when I had 100k reward points from Amex, but my husband at the time wasn’t keen on going to Japan, so the account was closed. Now he said he wanted to go to a Hong Kong when we go to Japan, so I might think about Singapore suites again. I’m leaning toward open with Cathay Airlines because it has 1:1 transfer directly for my card reward points.

Btw, you mentioned typhoon, which season is best to go to avoid this. I’m thinking I could go before Christmas, Oct-Dec, or after Christmas, Jan-Mar time frame.which season has the most business seats available?

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:20 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:50 pm
I have been on them all, admittedly in one case many years ago.

All are delightful. But the differences between particular airplanes may be significant. This depends on how recently the plane has been refurbished.

On JAL very recently my plane had a very odd arrangement, more like cubicles than anything else. It was just fine all the same.
I saw this on some travel website, so I’m not sure. I need to learn about each type of aircraft, some are better than others.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:19 pm

I thought about Singapore suites 2 years ago when I had 100k reward points from Amex, but my husband at the time wasn’t keen on going to Japan, so the account was closed. Now he said he wanted to go to a Hong Kong when we go to Japan, so I might think about Singapore suites again. I’m leaning toward open with Cathay Airlines because it has 1:1 transfer directly for my card reward points.

Btw, you mentioned typhoon, which season is best to go to avoid this. I’m thinking I could go before Christmas, Oct-Dec, or after Christmas, Jan-Mar time frame.which season has the most business seats available?
You can use the Cathay (Asia Miles) or British Airways sites to check Cathay award availability. I think you would be very lucky to find anything in 2019 on Cathay as they pretty much sold out everything in 2019 during their fare mistake in early January to/from the US. I haven't looked personally but from what I am hearing there is very little award (or cheaper cash) availability to be had in premium cabins on Cathay. Likely 2020 will be better since that hadn't opened up for sale at time of fare mistake.

Rainier

Post by Rainier » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Hong Kong and Singapore are past Japan, by several hours. Are you familiar with how a plane flies from LA to Japan? Hawaii is also out of the way. Honestly, why not go to NY to Japan if you are considering stops in Hong Kong or Singapore.

Off the top of my head, Singapore is 8 hours away from Japan. So you'd fly over Japan on your flight to Singapore then fly another 8 hours. Change planes in Singapore to fly another 8 hours back to Japan.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:41 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:

You can use the Cathay (Asia Miles) or British Airways sites to check Cathay award availability. I think you would be very lucky to find anything in 2019 on Cathay as they pretty much sold out everything in 2019 during their fare mistake in early January to/from the US. I haven't looked personally but from what I am hearing there is very little award (or cheaper cash) availability to be had in premium cabins on Cathay. Likely 2020 will be better since that hadn't opened up for sale at time of fare mistake.
Good thing I wasn’t looking for 2019, might be in 2020. I did look on British Airways a few weeks ago and they have some business seats on Japan Airline for Feb-Mar, but I didn’t see Cathay Airline unless I put to fly to a Hong Kong.

pdxgreen

Post by pdxgreen » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Rainier wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 pm
Hong Kong and Singapore are past Japan, by several hours. Are you familiar with how a plane flies from LA to Japan? Hawaii is also out of the way. Honestly, why not go to NY to Japan if you are considering stops in Hong Kong or Singapore.

Off the top of my head, Singapore is 8 hours away from Japan. So you'd fly over Japan on your flight to Singapore then fly another 8 hours. Change planes in Singapore to fly another 8 hours back to Japan.
Singapore Airlines flies a fifth freedom route on LAX-NRT-SIN so you wouldn't be wasting any time if you wanted to go to both cities.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 pm

What is this thread actually about? I have flown business class to Japan directly, either to NRT or HND, about 5 times. Flights are available out of Chicago, DFW, SFO, or Minneapolis, and probably Atlanta and NJ. I have gone on Delta, United, and American. What's this thread about? What's this about Cathay, Singapore, Hong Kong... what am I missing?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:29 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:41 pm
THY4373 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:

Good thing I wasn’t looking for 2019, might be in 2020. I did look on British Airways a few weeks ago and they have some business seats on Japan Airline for Feb-Mar, but I didn’t see Cathay Airline unless I put to fly to a Hong Kong.
Please do start to use the Matrix airline software:

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Then you can very quickly see what routes even exist.
If it doesn't exist, then you won't waste time trying to find awards tickets for that. :wink:

With few exceptions (others here can give more details), airlines can only fly between their "home" country and another country. So, for example, you won't find a United Airlines flight between Singapore and London, or between Toronto and Vancouver.
There are a few exceptions, and I'm forgetting precisely how those rules work. For example, one can fly on CX between NYC and Vancouver, but almost all other flights would begin or end in Hong Kong. That flight continues on to Hong Kong, but one can actually get ticketed for the partial flight.
(Airlines with HQ in larger countries will have more choices that countries with only one major international airport, no surprise. So CX and SIngapore sort of have the fewest "different" routes.)

RM

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 pm

Rainier wrote:

I’m thinking of eliminating Singapore, hadn’t realized how far South it is from Japan. Originally I was planning 6-hour hop, because I don’t like to sit for long flights. I was planning to do LAX to HNL. Then HNL to New Zealand, then New Zealand to Australia, then Australia to Singapore. But my husband pooed pooed all these ideas, he didn’t want to see these countries, so flying direct to Japan from LAX is the best route. We don’t mind stopping in Hawaii. I’ve been using Google flights, and from Hawaii to Japan maybe about 30 minutes less than LAX to Japan. Surprising from Japan to HNLwas like 6.5 hours. Anyway, we don’t mind stopping in HNL, we go there frequently enough, it’s almost like a second home for us, lol.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:10 pm

pdxgreen wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:17 pm
Rainier wrote:

Singapore Airlines flies a fifth freedom route on LAX-NRT-SIN so you wouldn't be wasting any time if you wanted to go to both cities.
Do they allow for stops? How long can you stop?

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:11 pm

28fe6 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 pm
What is this thread actually about? I have flown business class to Japan directly, either to NRT or HND, about 5 times. Flights are available out of Chicago, DFW, SFO, or Minneapolis, and probably Atlanta and NJ. I have gone on Delta, United, and American. What's this thread about? What's this about Cathay, Singapore, Hong Kong... what am I missing?
Which business class seats are best among these Airlines?

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 pm

THY4373 wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
There are usually threads in one of those airline forums comparing that airline to others. Try using Google to find them. An example: "jal vs cathay pacific business class site:flyertalk.com" (without quotes) . That brings up a number of threads. You can also search for blog reviews which will give you photos and describe the pros and cons.
Thanks, I’m trying to avoid business clas like the one from British Airways from LAX to Heathrow. The way out was ok, but the way back was 11 hours and after I landed I could feel my back was not doing well. I had to go to massage therapist a few days later. 11 hours is brutal on myself. My husband was ok with it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:22 pm
THY4373 wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Thanks, I’m trying to avoid business clas like the one from British Airways from LAX to Heathrow. The way out was ok, but the way back was 11 hours and after I landed I could feel my back was not doing well. I had to go to massage therapist a few days later. 11 hours is brutal on myself. My husband was ok with it.
If you remember the flight numbers, then use SeatGuru to figure out which aircraft, and make sure that the seating arrangement looks "right". Also try to note the reviews, so you can get at least a quick sense of whether the comments match your own perspective, etc.

RM

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:34 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
THY4373 wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
If you remember the flight numbers, then use SeatGuru to figure out which aircraft, and make sure that the seating arrangement looks "right". Also try to note the reviews, so you can get at least a quick sense of whether the comments match your own perspective, etc.

RM
Thank you for the information. I will use SeatGuru. But I remember it was a double decker Airbus, the cushion was not fat enough for my butt. I must be used to my nice bed at home. :D

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:44 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:34 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
THY4373 wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:

RM
Thank you for the information. I will use SeatGuru. But I remember it was a double decker Airbus, the cushion was not fat enough for my butt. I must be used to my nice bed at home. :D
I do hope you get to try CX. It was like a twin bed. Something like 33 inches wide (not kidding). Nice quilt, too.
DH usually doesn't sleep well, and still thinks he didn't. But he was out like a light, sleeping soundly, like a baby. I kept checking on him, as did one of the flight attendants, to try to offer him treats, but noooo... he was "out" :happy

But my point about SeatGuru was to try to remember which aircraft/airline did work, or didn't.
Now, they do keep upgrading/changing the equipment, but until that happens for whatever you've flown on, at least you know what to try to get... or avoid.

SeatGuru will also have the dimensions of the seat/beds (width/length, for J/F).
And there will be photos.

But I found better photos using Google, with the airline and "F" (or J), and also the aircraft type.
The seating can be quite different within the same airline F, for a 747 or some other, etc.

We've also started paying attention to where we'll connect, and IF there is a choice, choose the most comfortable. But it's the "in flight" comfort that comes first.

I *really* did not want to get off that CX flight. I was all set to fly back to Hong Kong (15+ hours) and then back again. It was really that nice. Peaceful, reading, sleeping, eating... sleeping and reading some more.

British Air and Lufthansa were nothing close to that, but they were still flat bed with decent service. Those flights were, to date, much shorter.

RM

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 pm

Sound great, we sleep like a baby at home. More than 8 hours each night, so it’s even better on Cathay. I will definitely try for Cathay Air.

We have one more free business trip on British Airways to Europe and after that I will cancel my card. No more. Plus my husband and I like to go to Euro more often, not just every two years. Perhaps we will try shorter route. We’re ok with 5-6 hours on economy. So no need to use frequent flyer after that. Thanks again for the great information.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm

For a direct flight, you are most likely going to be on JA or one of the US Carriers. Personally, I opt for AA (I am Concierge Key on AA), as I prefer the food offerings to the Asian carriers in J and F. I haven't taken JA to Japan, but have read many reviews stating that the cabin temperature is very warm. That would be a deal breaker for me.

CX is a great airline that I have flown a lot on intra asia routes, but I would not take them long haul just because of the food (not interested in airplane versions of fancy Asian dishes).

... I know... I am in the minority here.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 pm
Rainier wrote:

I’m thinking of eliminating Singapore, hadn’t realized how far South it is from Japan. Originally I was planning 6-hour hop, because I don’t like to sit for long flights. I was planning to do LAX to HNL. Then HNL to New Zealand, then New Zealand to Australia, then Australia to Singapore. But my husband pooed pooed all these ideas, he didn’t want to see these countries, so flying direct to Japan from LAX is the best route. We don’t mind stopping in Hawaii. I’ve been using Google flights, and from Hawaii to Japan maybe about 30 minutes less than LAX to Japan. Surprising from Japan to HNLwas like 6.5 hours. Anyway, we don’t mind stopping in HNL, we go there frequently enough, it’s almost like a second home for us, lol.
OP, it seems like you overlooked pdxgreen's post about Singapore's nonstop flight from LAX to Tokyo. Singapore, JAL, and ANA have the best seat and service among the nonstop carriers on this route, although for me any flat bed, nonstop option is fine for a flight of this length (under 12 hours).

I would not stop over in Hawaii unless you wanted to do so anyway. Hawaiian has an ok business class (seats are flat now, but narrow and lacking in privacy), as a whole it's not anywhere near as good as the Asian carriers.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm

head gamez wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm
For a direct flight, you are most likely going to be on JA or one of the US Carriers. Personally, I opt for AA (I am Concierge Key on AA), as I prefer the food offerings to the Asian carriers in J and F. I haven't taken JA to Japan, but have read many reviews stating that the cabin temperature is very warm. That would be a deal breaker for me.

CX is a great airline that I have flown a lot on intra asia routes, but I would not take them long haul just because of the food (not interested in airplane versions of fancy Asian dishes).

The Asian carriers always have western options, too. They are seldom spectacular, but almost always preferable to the slop that passes for catering on AA. And don't get me started on the difference in FAs.

head gamez

Post by head gamez » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:45 pm
head gamez wrote:

The Asian carriers always have western options, too. They are seldom spectacular, but almost always preferable to the slop that passes for catering on AA. And don't get me started on the difference in FAs.
I knew I was in the minority....

Yes, they have a western option (Ive had it), but the AA usually has two western options :D . The FAs also always treat me like royalty.

The service on CX is amazing though. They manage to serve a full meal on the short hop from HKG to TPE. Ive done that route a LOT of times, and as soon as the 10k bell dings, they are working.

Edit to add... The Pier is the best lounge I have ever been in. Amazing service all the way around.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:43 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Rainier wrote:

OP, it seems like you overlooked pdxgreen's post about Singapore's nonstop flight from LAX to Tokyo. Singapore, JAL, and ANA have the best seat and service among the nonstop carriers on this route, although for me any flat bed, nonstop option is fine for a flight of this length (under 12 hours).

I would not stop over in Hawaii unless you wanted to do so anyway. Hawaiian has an ok business class (seats are flat now, but narrow and lacking in privacy), as a whole it's not anywhere near as good as the Asian carriers.
I’m not overlooking pdxgreen’s post, I’m just realizing that maybe I don’t want to go to Singapore, even though I really want to try the sky suites, actually that’s the only reason I want to fly on Singapore’s, lol, besides it costs me 90,000 points, in the past, it’s much more beneficial to book on Singapore airline, not anymore, they don’t give 15% discount for booking as a member.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:56 pm

02nz wrote:
head gamez wrote:

I checked online and they do have western options. I can’t remember which airline but one has 9 appetizers. And theres always steak dish for my husband. I don’t mind Asian dishes though.

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 pm

head gamez wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm
02nz wrote:
head gamez wrote:

Yes, they have a western option (Ive had it), but the AA usually has two western options :D . The FAs also always treat me like royalty.

The service on CX is amazing though. They manage to serve a full meal on the short hop from HKG to TPE. Ive done that route a LOT of times, and as soon as the 10k bell dings, they are working.

Edit to add... The Pier is the best lounge I have ever been in. Amazing service all the way around.
I don’t have any AA miles anymore. I’ve read Cathay has a really nice lounge, can’t remember whether it’s in Hong Kong or LAX.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:07 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 pm
02nz wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Rainier wrote:

I’m not overlooking pdxgreen’s post, I’m just realizing that maybe I don’t want to go to Singapore, even though I really want to try the sky suites, actually that’s the only reason I want to fly on Singapore’s, lol, besides it costs me 90,000 points, in the past, it’s much more beneficial to book on Singapore airline, not anymore, they don’t give 15% discount for booking as a member.
What does not wanting to go to Singapore have to do with flying between Los Angeles and Tokyo? Again, Singapore Airlines flies that route nonstop. The flight continues on to Singapore, but it's a "fifth freedom" route so you can absolutely book just LAX-NRT.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:58 pm
head gamez wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:55 pm
02nz wrote:
head gamez wrote:

I don’t have any AA miles anymore. I’ve read Cathay has a really nice lounge, can’t remember whether it’s in Hong Kong or LAX.
The Pier *is* the nicer CX lounge in Hong Kong. The other is The Wing, closer to the check-in area.
:happy

BTW, just in case it's ever of interest, you can purchase AA awards points/miles, for just under 2 cents each.
If you figure out what the F travel on CX would cost if purchased for cash, it's one of the best bargains around.
(Of course, to consider it a *real* bargain, one would need to consider actually PAYING cash, which would be absurd, at least for most of us!).

But as you already mentioned, the difference in points between J and F is often not that much, which is why we try to go for the F when possible, especially on the ultra long-haul.

RM

Topic Author
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:43 am

02nz wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:07 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 pm
02nz wrote:
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Rainier wrote:

What does not wanting to go to Singapore have to do with flying between Los Angeles and Tokyo? Again, Singapore Airlines flies that route nonstop. The flight continues on to Singapore, but it's a "fifth freedom" route so you can absolutely book just LAX-NRT.
Ok, got it. I thought it was LAX to NRT and to SIN. I thought somebody said only Japanese Airlines fly direct to Japan like ANA and JAL.
Does anybody know how many Krismiles is needed for oneway to NRT from LAX in the Sky business suite.