Money saving move you regret the most?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MisterMister

Re: Money saving move you regret the most?

Post by MisterMister »

Jimmie wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am
nisiprius wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am I said something about this in another posting and it's on my mind. Again, there's no rule; I don't regret this in a "should-have-known" sense, but I really wish we had replaced our lousy stinking GE dishwasher when it crapped out on us the second time. Instead of buying a new dishwasher for $1,000, we had that crappy piece of GE feculence fixed for $300, and we got three more miserable GE years out of it. Three more awful GE years of unsatisfactory GE performance. By the way, "let's fix it instead of replacing it" was absolutely a joint decision, both spouses were in agreement.

It was a GE washer, by the way, in case you were wondering what brand it was. By GE.
I had a problem with a GE dishwasher once. All I needed to do was swab a few dirty parts with a generic Q tip. ;-)
I replace my GE with a relatively low-end Bosch. The dishes come out sparking clean, as long as they are clean when you put them in.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Dropped comprehensive coverage on my 10-year-old Honda Accord. (Had always had comprehensive before and never any claims and I do not drive very much.) Two months later a deer jumped onto the hood of my car doing several thousand dollars worth of damage before bounding away, apparently not too much worse for the encounter (though he--or she?--it was dark and I was in a state of shock so did not observe the deer's gender--did leave a little fur behind.)

In 2014, for the first time in my life I had the opportunity to buy high deductible health insurance. An unexpected issue (ruptured appendix in December) caused me to hit the $13K out-of-pocket maximum.

But feeling philosophical--you win some, you lose some. Both episodes could have been a lot worse. I was unharmed in the deer encounter and recovered well from my emergency surgery for the appendix. And was grateful to be in a position to absorb the cost of both events.

I have continued to go without comprehensive (or collision, for that matter.) I drive carefully and very little and my cars are even older now.

I also continued (uneventfully) to stay with my high deductible Bronze policy until no longer eligible due to Medicare.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

MisterMister wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:57 am
Jimmie wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am
nisiprius wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:46 am I said something about this in another posting and it's on my mind. Again, there's no rule; I don't regret this in a "should-have-known" sense, but I really wish we had replaced our lousy stinking GE dishwasher when it crapped out on us the second time. Instead of buying a new dishwasher for $1,000, we had that crappy piece of GE feculence fixed for $300, and we got three more miserable GE years out of it. Three more awful GE years of unsatisfactory GE performance. By the way, "let's fix it instead of replacing it" was absolutely a joint decision, both spouses were in agreement.

It was a GE washer, by the way, in case you were wondering what brand it was. By GE.
I had a problem with a GE dishwasher once. All I needed to do was swab a few dirty parts with a generic Q tip. ;-)
I replace my GE with a relatively low-end Bosch. The dishes come out sparking clean, as long as they are clean when you put them in.
My late husband had a high end Miele and he was the dishwasher whisperer who could deal with its high maintenance issues. He loved that dishwasher and I never really learned to use it properly. When it stopped functioning (some months after his death), I felt overwhelmed by the "fix it" or "replace it" issue, so just gave up and did dishes by hand for the next four years. The place where we had bought it did not seem terribly interested in servicing it--they were much more interested in selling me another expensive Miele as a replacement (probably because of my zipcode.)

I went to another appliance dealer recommended by friends, bought a mid-range (I think?) Bosch and have been very happy with it so far. I understand how to use it and maintain and the company makes it easy to request service. Dishes come out perfectly clean even though I do not prewash them at all, just scrape out the loose stuff.

I regret I did not buy a replacement dishwasher earlier. I probably spent more on all the hot water used in washing dishes by hand than the cost of using a new dishwasher (including amortization of the up front cost.) Life is better with a dishwasher!

On a related note--and relating to the topic of the OP--I regret not buying a water softener earlier. It seemed like an unnecessary expense at the time. I am definitely saving on plumbing bills and expect my appliances will last longer now that I have soft water. The soft water may also be part of the reason that my Bosch dishwasher performs well (with very little soap, by the way.)
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

Yes, in reality I like my Bosch. It's very quiet. I probably just overdo the manual pre-wash because I don't like cleaning the internal filter...
zeal

Post by zeal »

DaftInvestor wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:48 am
SuperGrafx wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:32 am
barnaclebob wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am
pdavi21 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 pm
tolerable2323 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 pm

You bring your own food when you go out to a restaurant? Am I reading that right? Do you also bring your own beer when you go out to a sports bar?lol
Yes. I no longer drink beer. The WHO estimates that 5.3% of global deaths are caused by alcohol consumption. I hope to reduce my healthcare costs in retirement.
Bringing your own food to a restaurant is very tacky unless you have some pretty extreme dietary restrictions. The people dining with you are right to be embarassed.
+1.
When did this forum become the Cheapskate and Miser forum?
Some people have no shame, I guess lol!
Some of the restaurants I go to likely wouldn't let you ever come back once they knew you as the guy who brought his own food. Events and Airport I could understand (where food might be really suspect) but restaurants?
Hopefully you are insisting on paying a $20 seating charge and at least a $10 tip for them allowing you to have a seat with your own food - otherwise you shouldn't be sitting in a restaurant.
I've gone to a restaurant & ordered only water before. It was very uncomfortable... I felt guilty. I couldn't imagine bringing my own food... That's ridiculous lol. If you're that worried about saving a few bucks, just don't go!

If I go out with friends to a restaurant while I'm fasting or something, I'll order an appetizer for everyone else & just enjoy my water guilt-free. Your friends will appreciate the gift & your server won't feel taken advantage of. Definitely worth $10-15 to me.
Smk18

Post by Smk18 »

Buying in bulk things on sale ,later finding not to use them or having them being discarded.
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

My biggest regret--agreeing to a coworker's request that we eat a cheap lunch at a very shady restaurant in Venezuela many moons ago. I should have known better, especially once I saw the food. Even as I was eating I was praying I wouldn't die a horrible death. Another coworker and I both got violently ill as a result. The cheapskate coworker did not. After enduring nearly two months of gastrointestinal hell, my doctors finally nuked whatever the hell I had with one of those special, last ditch antibiotics. My coworker was not as lucky--she had that bug for more than three months and had to go to NIH before she got better. Never. Again.

Incidentally, that cheapskate coworker also wanted us to take an illegal cab from the airport into Caracas because it was cheaper (never mind that we were being reimbursed for all of our expenses). I drew the line at that and told her to pound sand in very colorful and evocative language. Had we gone along we probably would have ended up robbed, raped, and left for dead in a ditch somewhere.

Also, buying a cheap, off-brand video camera instead of a proper one before our first child was born. As a result, we only have very fuzzy and dark VGA-quality videos of her as a baby instead of nice HD-quality ones. Every time I watch one I kick myself for being too cheap. DW has never said anything about it and probably doesn't mind, but I do.
BanquetBeer

Post by BanquetBeer »

Lots of restaurant comments so I thought I would add. We refuel tho out for lunch with coworkers and some people bring their food. Typically not fancy restaurants with area seating but if several people are wanting to eat out, don’t see any issues with someone bringing their lunch to join us.

For beer, frequently bring a “coffee cup” when traveling. Selection and cost. Why pay $7 for a bud light when I can drink something local for $10/6pack?

We wouldn’t go to a nice place and bring stuff but would never look down on someone not bring a consumer for whatever their reasons.
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

Probably buy a lot of bulk stuff from Costco and not using them.

Post by 2015 »

Ordering a chair online. Do people who manufacture in China not know that the color beige is not at all white? Beautiful piece of furniture, reasonably priced, completely wrong color. OTOH, Wayfair's customer service and returns methodology was mind blowing good. They allowed me to leave the returning boxed piece on the porch for FedEx and if it got stolen, I wouldn't be held liable. Other orders from Wayfair worked out well so I don't want to conflate one Chinese company's bad manufacturing processes with Wayfair.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

I overbought supplies at Costco to take advantage of sale prices, only to have to move much of my “storehouse” about a year later when I retired and we moved/downsized.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

k3vb0t wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:55 am

I literally laughed out loud at this. Well done.
GE sold the appliance business a couple years ago.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bampf

Post by bampf »

pdavi21 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:45 am
Not really, if my companions are eating, they are making plenty of money. My only dietary restriction is I don't like paying to catch food poisoning.
You have to be kidding, no one is that obtuse. Consider adding the /s to indicate sarcasm...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm Dropped comprehensive coverage on my 10-year-old Honda Accord. (Had always had comprehensive before and never any claims and I do not drive very much.) Two months later a deer jumped onto the hood of my car doing several thousand dollars worth of damage before bounding away, apparently not too much worse for the encounter (though he--or she?--it was dark and I was in a state of shock so did not observe the deer's gender--did leave a little fur behind.)

In 2014, for the first time in my life I had the opportunity to buy high deductible health insurance. An unexpected issue (ruptured appendix in December) caused me to hit the $13K out-of-pocket maximum.

But feeling philosophical--you win some, you lose some. Both episodes could have been a lot worse. I was unharmed in the deer encounter and recovered well from my emergency surgery for the appendix. And was grateful to be in a position to absorb the cost of both events.

I have continued to go without comprehensive (or collision, for that matter.) I drive carefully and very little and my cars are even older now.

I also continued (uneventfully) to stay with my high deductible Bronze policy until no longer eligible due to Medicare.
Took our 2nd car off insurance totally because we were selling it to my BIL, but he had yet to pick it up. Apparently forgot to tell my wife and she, for some unknown reason, decided to drive it to the store literally 6hrs after. Got into a fender bender when a lady in front of her stopped in the middle of an intersection on a yellow light. No insurance led to car impounded, wife lost license, SR-22 insurance, and we had no leg to stand on regarding damages to the other vehicle (there was zero visible damage) so we are almost positive we were taken. Sent insurance a check for $9500 to repair the car (almost positive this was outright fraud) and the incident ultimately cost us about $12k.
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

It wasn't a money-saving move, as it involves by far the most money I've ever spent, but when we bought our new-construction townhouse in late 2016 I wish we had sprung for a larger floor plan. At the time, we were recently married and moving from a 1-bed apartment to a 1,750sqft 3-bd/3-ba townhouse, brand new construction in a VHCOL area. It was a big expenditure, but a ton more space and we thought it should be enough for a future child and for my wife's grandmother to stay with us.

Fast forward 2.5yrs. We're expecting our first kid and are realizing that a live-in caretaker for kid and/or grandmother (doesn't speak English) is not really an option as all the bedrooms are taken. Although we don't keep a lot of "stuff" at all, we don't have much storage space (there is no storage other than the usual kitchen/bath cabinets, closets, and a tiny crawl space). The "tandem" 2-car garage is a pain for many reasons.

Ponying up the extra $100-200k (15-25%) would have meant getting an extra bedroom and space, and a tandem garage in the same new-construction neighborhood that we're otherwise quite happy with, a balcony that's actually useful (ours is extremely narrow, no view besides other townhouses and puts you on display to neighbors), and fortunately our income has almost doubled since we bought our place, so it would have been easy to swing. Making the move now would involve paying a ~5% RE agent fee, losing our 3.375% 30-year fixed rate, not getting to customize our options like we did when buying new, etc.

It was probably responsible to hold our budget given our income at the time. I just wish we would have had an idea that A) our incomes would increase quite meaningfully and we would pay down debt, and B) a lot of space quickly becomes not that much when you have a kid. It's still more space than a lot of people have, and we'll be fine, but things could have been a lot easier (and the urge to upgrade delayed for many more years) if we had stretched a bit at the time.
sport

Post by sport »

Kennedy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:26 pm
dgm wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 pm We have tons of threads on the best money saving tip but what about the thing you did to save some money that you sorely regret?

I have many, but most notable for me is buying cheap Q-tips to save a few bucks.

Every time I use my off brand Q-tips (multiple times a week) and the cotton unravels exposing the cheap plastic stem it reminds me of how much I regret that decision.

I have a thousand of these things. So many opportunities for regret...all to save a few bucks....never again...
The crazy thing is that even the name brand Q-Tip has less cotton on the tips today than Q-Tips from prior years. I bought a huge box of Q-Tips (name brand) from Costco maybe in 2007 or so. When the package was getting low around ten years later (I don't use many Q-Tips), I bought another huge box from Costco and compared the two. The older ones had glorious mounds of cotton on the tips. The new ones had just a tiny bit of cotton. Made me sad that Costco would play a role in selling such a product.
The old Q-tips were a Johnson & Johnson product. The current Q-tips are a Unilever product. Different company, even though the brand name is the same. So, I would blame Unilever, not Costco.
sport

Post by sport »

I was using an expensive prescription ointment. Near the end of the year, I found out that my Rx insurance would no longer cover this item after Dec 31. So, I bought an extra tube for $100, rather than pay about $250 the next year. It turned out that I had to change doctors and the new doctor told me to stop that treatment. I still have the unopened tube.
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

pdavi21 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 pm Bringing food to the airport, restaurants, public events, etc. I actually would enjoy it if my wife, friends, and colleagues were less embarrassed.
You Sir have just won the price for the cheapest person I've ever heard of. One thing is not going out to restaurants to save money, but going to restaurants and bringing your own food, especially when with colleagues, is a whole different game.

I hope the few hundreds of dollars saved per year are worth being the joke of colleagues, family and business owners.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:37 pm A few times over the years trying to save some money on travel with inexpensive or lower cost lodging and then most of the time being very disappointed with the accommodations. Later in life I learned it was better for us, being relatively picky especially about bed quality and room noise, to spend more to get high end lodging/hotel for travel - makes for a much better and more relaxing trip.
This is my biggest regret also. I am a very light sleeper away from home so it's worthwhile for me to not do bottom of the barrel pricing on lodging. It took me many years though, to be okay with this expense.

Second place goes to not fixing things (because even YouTube can't help me due to my lack of skills). So I delay paying for home repairs in order to save money. I'm referring to small things (like repairing the toilet flapper) not things that will become huge problems/expenses in the future. And I'm smart enough to maintain my car/do all preventative maintenance on schedule, but a handyman I'm not...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My wife and I recently discovered that we share a regret directed at our builder at our old house. He wanted to save us some money on construction, so used (I guess) PVC pipe for the drains from upstairs bedrooms to the basement, right past the family room where we often spent time, often with friends. I would rather have paid more for cast iron and enjoyed the quiet.

Our upcoming renovation has been spec’ed for cast iron, and loads of noise dampening everywhere possible.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

RW-Expat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:03 am
Weston wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:54 am Pretty much every attempt I have ever made at do-it-yourself home repairs. I'm not good at it, I don't enjoy it, and it brings me little or no satisfaction.
I second this!
+1! Though I confess that I have painted my daughter's room once - and both she and I liked the final product. So that was definitely worth it :-)
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:58 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm Dropped comprehensive coverage on my 10-year-old Honda Accord. (Had always had comprehensive before and never any claims and I do not drive very much.) Two months later a deer jumped onto the hood of my car doing several thousand dollars worth of damage before bounding away, apparently not too much worse for the encounter (though he--or she?--it was dark and I was in a state of shock so did not observe the deer's gender--did leave a little fur behind.)

Took our 2nd car off insurance totally because we were selling it to my BIL, but he had yet to pick it up. Apparently forgot to tell my wife and she, for some unknown reason, decided to drive it to the store literally 6hrs after. Got into a fender bender when a lady in front of her stopped in the middle of an intersection on a yellow light. No insurance led to car impounded, wife lost license, SR-22 insurance, and we had no leg to stand on regarding damages to the other vehicle (there was zero visible damage) so we are almost positive we were taken. Sent insurance a check for $9500 to repair the car (almost positive this was outright fraud) and the incident ultimately cost us about $12k.
:shock:
My college roommate bought a car for $2500 cash and was driving it home. He got T-boned and wrecked it pulling into it driveway. He hadn't gotten insurance yet.

My other roommate never did an oil change and his engine seized on the freeway.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

dgm wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:20 pm We have tons of threads on the best money saving tip but what about the thing you did to save some money that you sorely regret?
I can't think of any...
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've done the q-tip thing. I once bought the Target version of the Gillette razors and they were rough on my skin and not the same. I've done the same with other hygiene/household products too. If the product isn't great but you can still use it, no harm no foul.

I can think of many things with travel. Things like leaving at times I didn't want to to save what really wasn't a lot of money or trying to take public transportation from the airport to the hotel with all the luggage instead of a taxi.

I've also bought things because they were cheaper and wound up throwing them out and getting the more expensive brand/version which is frustrating. I try to research things that are non-trivial expenses, but it still happens (take the reviews on Amazon with a grain of salt). By the same token, just buying the most expensive thing doesn't automatically make sense either.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:25 pm My other roommate never did an oil change and his engine seized on the freeway.
It amazes me that some people think these things are optional. People aren't doing it for fun...
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Svensk Anga wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm Using the GM Mastercard to get 5% of our purchases credited against purchase of a GM car. The last GM car we bought was the worst POS we ever had. Repair costs far exceeded the total credit card rebate. I will not have another GM car unless they give it to me.
I made that exact mistake too before I discovered Hondas. GM lost me forever as a customer too. That was long ago and I never looked back.

It wasn't the money-saving move I regret the most though. I don't want to get into that here.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 pm I've done things the q-tip thing. I once bought the Target version of the Gillette razors and they were rough on my skin and not the same. I've done the same with other hygiene/household products too. If the product isn't great but you can still use it, no harm no foul.
For me it would be all the years I spent using those cheap disposable razors before discovering breaking down and getting a higher end one (a Mach 3). After using it once, I threw my whole remaining supply of disposables away and vowed to never buy another one.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Finridge wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:08 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 pm I've done things the q-tip thing. I once bought the Target version of the Gillette razors and they were rough on my skin and not the same. I've done the same with other hygiene/household products too. If the product isn't great but you can still use it, no harm no foul.
For me it would be all the years I spent using those cheap disposable razors before discovering breaking down and getting a higher end one (a Mach 3). After using it once, I threw my whole remaining supply of disposables away and vowed to never buy another one.
I use the name brand ones too, but I am curious how the Kirkland ones at Costco are. Same with Harry's razors.
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

randomguy wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am
monkey_business wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:34 am
I'm pretty sure alcohol related deaths are due to alcoholism, drunk driving, etc., and not due to people having a beer or a glass of wine with their dinner.
Most recent research says that any alcohol consumptions (yes including your glass of red wine) is unhealthy. It is a very minor effect for the one glass/day drinker but ramps up as consumption increases.
My response was in regards to alcohol-related deaths. The long-term effects of moderate alcohol consumption are dubious at best, as are most dietary considerations in general.
Blueskies123 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am Have you considered how much alcohol gets consumed if you have one drink every night, or 4 drinks on Friday and 4 drinks on Saturday? That would be the equivalent of 4.5 gallons of vodka or scotch - per year.
What's your concern? Anything that is consumed on a regular basis adds up to a lot over the course of a year. For example, if you eat a cup of oatmeal for breakfast every day, that adds up to about 70 pounds of oatmeal per year. Is this an argument against oatmeal consumption?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Two years ago I cancelled comprehensive on our Honda Odyssey. Two months later we drove through a hail storm of epic proportions that totaled the vehicle. I was lamenting the fact that I had cancelled comprehensive two months prior to my insurance agent and after checking he said that no, it hadn't been cancelled. Did I want to cancel it retroactively? I think my words were, "Hell no." It was the best mistake in my favor I've ever received.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:47 pm
Two years ago I cancelled comprehensive on our Honda Odyssey. Two months later we drove through a hail storm of epic proportions that totaled the vehicle. I was lamenting the fact that I had cancelled comprehensive two months prior to my insurance agent and after checking he said that no, it hadn't been cancelled. Did I want to cancel it retroactively? I think my words were, "Hell no." It was the best mistake in my favor I've ever received.
Hail no!?
That's most fortunate!
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

SeaToTheBay wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:02 pm
unclescrooge wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:25 pm My other roommate never did an oil change and his engine seized on the freeway.
It amazes me that some people think these things are optional. People aren't doing it for fun...
I thought it was optional. Figured it just made the engine run better, more efficiently, etc, and that I could technically get by without changing the oil. Destroyed my engine. Cost me $3000 to get it replaced with a rebuilt engine (and got some other things fixed while the engine was out).

School teaches stuff like mitosis, but there really needs to be a class about "things you should know when you're an adult." I'm not trying to pass the blame on to someone else, but nobody in my life had ever mentioned what the purpose of an oil change was and it's not something you think to randomly ask someone. I'm sure right now there is some kind of maintenance I'm supposed to be doing on my house, but I'm not, and that thing will just break eventually and I'll have to replace it.
SeaEngineer

Post by SeaEngineer »

RW-Expat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:03 am
Weston wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:54 am Pretty much every attempt I have ever made at do-it-yourself home repairs. I'm not good at it, I don't enjoy it, and it brings me little or no satisfaction.
I second this!
I third this ...
celia

Post by celia »

Blueskies123 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:23 am
monkey_business wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:34 am I'm pretty sure alcohol related deaths are due to alcoholism, drunk driving, etc., and not due to people having a beer or a glass of wine with their dinner.
Have you considered how much alcohol gets consumed if you have one drink every night, or 4 drinks on Friday and 4 drinks on Saturday? That would be the equivalent of 4.5 gallons of vodka or scotch - per year.
Our biggest regret was knowingly hiring an unlicensed “contractor” (son of a friend who needed work) to add on to our house. He did the demo but spent the deposit on beer and started not showing up any more. Do you realize how much beer you could buy for $10,000 30 years ago?
Davinci

Post by Davinci »

Money saving move you regret the most?
Keeping old commuter car longer that I should off to save money on buying another one. Last year I did a lot of repairs, changed breaks, gas pump, sensors probably around $1500. Last week car was making a noise when making so turns I would need to replace both front axles, also mounts for the motor, transmissions and side for $1200. I decided too late that it was money sink so did not spend the $1200, bought a new car, so I also have a clunker car with new breaks, gas pump, sensors, etc.

I will be more careful next time, I was really hoping to keep a 17 year old car with 170k miles 5 more years which was pushing it, I will be happy with 15 or less from now on and not put money to save getting another car. :oops:

I should have listened to DW 1 year ago but I was hopeful I could keep my clunker going forever.
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.
goaapl

Post by goaapl »

I cut my own hair once. Never again.
mancich

Post by mancich »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:13 pm
Finridge wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:08 pm
I use the name brand ones too, but I am curious how the Kirkland ones at Costco are. Same with Harry's razors.
I find Harry's razors to be excellent. Very close and comfortable shave IMO. Used to be a Gillette guy but I'm sold on Harry's, and I have very rough whiskers and shave daily :beer
Index24

Post by Index24 »

I bought cheap steak over 5 years ago and served it to my wife and still hear about it regularly....
Momus

Post by Momus »

Got a cheap amateur to install flooring in a rental house. He cut corners to do the job and asked for more money. Should've gone with the professional for a couple hundred dollars more.
Momus

Post by Momus »

goaapl wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:28 pm I cut my own hair once. Never again.
Practice makes perfect. I have been doing it for a good part of the decade. It's consistent result and all fault is yours, you can't blame it on others :D
sambb

Post by sambb »

bad money savings moves:
1. Coach tickets overseas
2. using vanguard instead of fidelity
3. buying an i5 instead of i7 computer
4. buying android instead of iphone once. Never again.
5. buying a camry instead of a boxster or cayman at one time
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Oh boy.......I'm a darn lucky fella that my wife doesn't read this forum. GE dishwasher...............OMG....she doesn't curse often but when she opens the GE dishwasher and complains that many of the dishes are still dirty.........she spares no curse words for that hapless GE dish washer.......sorta like the 7 dirty words that George Carlin said on stage one night in Milwaukee that got him jail time............

Oh....by the way.....did I tell you that my son-in-law works for GE.........the medical division....... He doesn't have much good to say about their appliance either..........but he doesn't curse....at least not in our presence...... 8-)
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Gas station sushi. Couldn't beat the price but should have known better.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Assuming everything was cheaper on Amazon.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

fishandgolf wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Oh boy.......I'm a darn lucky fella that my wife doesn't read this forum. GE dishwasher...............OMG....she doesn't curse often but when she opens the GE dishwasher and complains that many of the dishes are still dirty.........she spares no curse words for that hapless GE dish washer.......sorta like the 7 dirty words that George Carlin said on stage one night in Milwaukee that got him jail time............

Oh....by the way.....did I tell you that my son-in-law works for GE.........the medical division....... He doesn't have much good to say about their appliance either..........but he doesn't curse....at least not in our presence...... 8-)
Just so you know, on June 6, 2016, the Chinese conglomerate Haier acquired GE Appliances for $5.6 billion. Under the terms of the sale, Haier has the right to use the GE brand name until 2056. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Appliances
Thecallofduty

Post by Thecallofduty »

- Used third part booking sites a while back. I Never use em anymore. You are on your own when theres an issue.

-someone mentioned flying spirit. Oh man I really dislike this airline as well and have tried to avoid at all costs BUT sometimes its so hard to justify spending 300 dollars per ticket more on a another domestic flight when your flying 3 hours away.

- I usually stick with rib eye, porterhouse, or tenderloin when I need a steak fix. Sale or no sale. No more messing around with other cuts of meat.
-thecallofduty
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Dropped uninsured property damage, decided it was redundant to collision. Then hit by uninsured driver. Paid $750 more deductible than I would have.

I do have higher homeowners deductible but have replaced 2 roofs due to hail. I havent done the math to figure out if it hurt. The reimbursement insurance amount was much higher than what I paid.

Flew spirit once, for business. Sat in plane for a while, maybe an hour in uncomfortable hard seat, plane finally starts down the runway then abandons take off at last minute due to some mechanical or electrical failure. Got off plane and we to major and paid several hundred more for ticket. Company money.

Not a purchase, but lost five figures in a "short term high yield municipal bond" that paid 2-3% over standard short term rates, but turns out investments were highly illiquid and sec cracked down and made them value at market which caused value to decrease 75%.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

JBTX wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:40 pm Not a purchase, but lost five figures in a "short term high yield municipal bond" that paid 2-3% over standard short term rates, but turns out investments were highly illiquid and sec cracked down and made them value at market which caused value to decrease 75%.
Was that with Heartland Advisors? https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2003-171.htm
Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster »

celia wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:41 pm Our biggest regret was knowingly hiring an unlicensed “contractor” (son of a friend who needed work) to add on to our house. He did the demo but spent the deposit on beer and started not showing up any more. Do you realize how much beer you could buy for $10,000 30 years ago?
Wow...

Heck, that's lots of beer in 2019 dollars. :beer
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 pm
JBTX wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:40 pm Not a purchase, but lost five figures in a "short term high yield municipal bond" that paid 2-3% over standard short term rates, but turns out investments were highly illiquid and sec cracked down and made them value at market which caused value to decrease 75%.
Was that with Heartland Advisors? https://www.sec.gov/news/press/2003-171.htm
Yes