Question About Setting a Table

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Question About Setting a Table

Post by Kennedy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:11 am

I've been looking at pictures of elegant table settings. I've noticed that in some of them, whomever set the table did not line up the flatware/silverware at the bottom. If two of an item was set (two forks or two knives), they were off-set. For example, if two forks were set (left of plate), the one closest to the plate was set higher on the place setting than the fork further from plate. Likewise, the knives (right of plate) were not lined up at the bottom. The dinner knife (closet to the plate) was set higher than the butter knife (further from the plate).

I was taught in home-economics to line-up the silverware at the bottom, an inch from the edge of the table.

I noticed this phenomenon on a couple of websites, so I'm assuming it's not just sloppy table setting. Is this a new thing? Is this done to maximize space if space is tight?

prudent

Re: Question About Setting a Table

Post by prudent » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:26 am

This thread is locked (below threshold). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.