Things to do in Inverness, Scotland

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sad2

Things to do in Inverness, Scotland

Post by sad2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:36 pm

I'll be walking the Great Glen Way from Ft. William to Inverness in May (May 10th - May 20th) of this year. The hike will only be 5 days - 79 miles. Any recommendations for things to do/see in and around Inverness post-hike?

I did the West Highland Way from Glasgow to Ft. William last August and spent a day after in Mallaig and took the Harry Potter Train.
I also spent a few days pre-hike in Edinburgh and post-hike in Glasgow. So I've seen the main tourist sites in those areas.

Recommendations can include locations on ScotRail from Inverness as I believe INV has a rail station.

Of course I enjoy hikes so if you know of any munros or waterfall hikes from Inverness, please do share.

I also went to Stirling last year and saw the town and castle there.

I have 2 days post-hike in Inverness and am not seeing too much in the way of sites around there.

Skye will be too far without a rental car.

Are 1-hr cruises on Loch Ness worth it? or over-hyped?

Merci

BluesH

Re: Things to do in Inverness, Scotland

Post by BluesH » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:49 am

If you're in Inverness you must see the Culloden battle site. We found it touching and inspiring; but we're history freaks. OTOH, we found Clava Cairns to be small and uninspiring.

There are lots of castles nearby. Urquhart castle may be on the wrong side of Loch Ness for your walking trip; but if you're going up the west side, stop in. We found Brodie Castle interesting, but probably too far from Inverness if you're without a car.

HTH,
Bob

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:38 am

Only spent part of a day their. They have a boat ride tour on the Loch. Guide goes through the history of it +of the town itself. Had salmon at a pub eatery which was very good. Forgot the name.This was like 15 years ago. Enjoy.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 am

Dunrobin Castle in Golspie is amazing. Its about an hour drive away, but it's probably the second most beautiful castle I've seen in all of Europe. IMHO Chenonceau in France is the most beautiful...

http://www.dunrobincastle.co.uk/index.html

go140point6

Post by go140point6 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:14 am

Ferries and boats are for wimps. Swim Loch Ness. I did that in October no less, pretty cool experience... 8-)

Mister A

Post by Mister A » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 am

Culloden is the must-see national historic site there. Cawdor Castle is charming, too.

In the city, Hootananny is a popular bar with live music, both trad and new local talent on certain nights. If you get a rainy day, I'd also suggest popping in to Leakey's Bookshop for a souvenir. It's in an old church and had an amazing selection of antique maps and prints.

If you like Indian food, there is a place called Rajah, by the post office, that was the best I had anywhere in Scotland and is still getting good reviews. I bring this up because I also ate at a terrible one that had a nice view and would want someone to warn me. :beer

Some times of year there may be various day trip options to do coastal wildlife cruises up to John O'Groats or even visit Orkney from Inverness. That'd be a pretty rushed visit to Orkney but either might be a fun way to fill a day and see the far north.

I suspect you'll see plenty of Loch Ness on the Great Glen Way and won't need the boat ride. You're right about Skye: even with a car, it feels massive due to the terrain and requires more time to really see than you'd expect.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Not sure I agree that Skye is impossible without a car. I took a train once from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh which was one of the most beautiful train journeys I have ever experienced. Takes 2 1/2hours. Then you can hop onto the ferry (10min?) to the Isle of Skye. Or, instead, you can catch a passenger ferry boat (at least you could back when I travelled the area some 35 years ago...) for a few dollars/pound that takes you all the way to Mallaig for the next railway station back to Fort William, Glasgow or back to Inverness. Absolutely gorgeous, rugged shoreline/cliffs as I recall.
Amazing part of the world - I'm jealous!

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 pm

You have two days to thaw out. You will need it.

Topic Author
sad2

Post by sad2 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:13 pm

Thank you all for the recommendations.
Dunrobin Castle looks spectacular. However, I'm not seeing any public transport options close by. It appears to be 52m from INV.

Yes, I'll jump in Loch Ness at Dores Beach.

Rajah Indian looks great.

I'll likely rent a bike and explore the south/east side of Loch Ness after the hike since I'll be hiking the west side going from Drum to Inverness.

I appreciate the collective wisdom of the Boglehead Community.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:23 am

Hey go140point6. If you vanish when swimming we know what happened. Nessie gets hungry. :mrgreen: