Need Objective Mattresses Ratings and Reviews

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
carolinaman

Need Objective Mattresses Ratings and Reviews

Post by carolinaman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 am

I am in the market for a queen mattress. I researched mattresses online and am having trouble finding objective reviews. I have found some websites that provide detailed reviews. However, I am suspicious of their objectivity because they provide links to mattress manufacturers often with discounts and some of their reviews sound like marketing pieces. My guess is they are compensated for these referrals and possibly some of their reviews. Consumer Reports is objective but their reviews exclude a lot of mattresses, especially some of the popular online mattress retailers.

Can anyone direct me to good objective reviews and ratings of mattresses? Thanks for your help.

barnaclebob

Re: Need Objective Mattresses Ratings and Reviews

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 am

Your best bet is spending about a month on the bogleheads of mattresses:

https://www.themattressunderground.com/ ... forum.html

or just pick an online place, try it, if you dont like it return it.

You are correct to be weary of online mattress reviews. Previous mattress threads hear have linked to some very shady business with online mattress retailers and review sites.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:24 am

I was looking into the same but king size, found this one to be really reasonable and had solid reviews.

https://www.zinus.com/products/cooling- ... 7700429832

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 am

The mattress industry makes the used car business look like a bunch of saints. As suggested above, educate yourself well first.
Semper Augustus

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:30 am

This is a totally personal matter, the only way to get objective information is to lay on them yourselves. Some people love their sleep number beds, having spent countless nights sleeping on one (spare bedroom at in-laws), I absolutely would prefer to sleep on a concrete floor and the wife agrees. I know a few people that have ordered a handful of different online mattresses, only to return them and stick to what they already have. My wife did a ton of research a few years ago and we ended up with a Nectar (which has a great warranty; IMO, it's OK but I think we could have gotten something just as good for 1/3 the price). The only thing I know about mattresses is that a more expensive mattress is by no means "better".
Last edited by stoptothink on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:32 am

^Right. There is no way to get objective reviews on very subjective matters like mattresses.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 am

Passing along some very basic research that a friend did.

The correct mattress for you is related to your sleeping position. Those who sleep primarily on their backs need a different mattress than those who sleep on their sides or stomachs.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:58 am

Peter Foley wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 am

The correct mattress for you is related to your sleeping position. Those who sleep primarily on their backs need a different mattress than those who sleep on their sides or stomachs.
The challenge then becomes what to do if two bed partners sleep differently. Luckily, I can do fine on just about anything that works for DW!

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:05 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 am

You are correct to be weary of online mattress reviews. Previous mattress threads hear have linked to some very shady business with online mattress retailers and review sites.
Thanks Barnaclebob, this is a really good website. I am reading through the info. It is a lot to absorb but very insightful.

othermike27

Post by othermike27 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Here is an informative site I have used before:

https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Quirky name, but helpful, unbiased info. Happy researching/shopping.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:39 pm

An industry that is intentionally deceptive, with models that are unique to stores to make comparisons difficult, just like appliances. Not a fun time, and most people have no clue so their subjective assessment is worthless.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:40 pm

OP,

It is very simple.

A) Go to a mattress store and try out the mattress.

B) Buy the mattress from Costco.com with similar spec and save a lot of $$$. Costco will deliver the mattress and take away your old mattress too.

KlangFool

msi

Post by msi » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:45 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:24 am
I was looking into the same but king size, found this one to be really reasonable and had solid reviews.

https://www.zinus.com/products/cooling- ... 7700429832
We love our Zinus mattress. Ours is the "green tea" memory foam gel version.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:07 pm

I've always used Sealy innersprings. They feel great, last a very long time and do not sag and are not super expensive.
The Mattress industry has evolved (IMHO) into a solution in search of a problem with all sorts of marketing hype and high prices for technology that does no good and in most cases not as comfy as a regular mattress that you could by 40 years ago.

Just go to Macy*s (or even Sears if you can find one), lay down on it and bounce a bit to try it and buy it.
But like I said, a good Sealy or Serta is the best.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm

Read a bunch of reviews on Amazon.

Mattresses with 100s and thousands of reviews. Read the negative ones. Our current mattress was $230 from Amazon. We had a $200 gift card and wanted to try a highly rated/lower cost mattress. It is working out great. If we only get 4-5 years from it, that is fine. We can repeat and still spend way less than a higher priced mattress.

The days of needing to spend $2,000 on a mattress and needing to have it last 10 years are gone. You can still do that, but there are a number of great options at much lower price points.

Many mattress companies offer returns so you can try them out for 90 or 100 days.

Also search for mattress threads using the search box. There are many.

Brooklyn Bedding
Purple
Casper
Nectar
Saatva
Zinus

I'm not doing the list any justice, but there are a lot of interesting options.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:16 pm

Read the reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone is different and it can be very tough to find a mattress that feels good for both folks in a couple. My experience is that most brick and mortar mattress stores are scam companies staffed by wannabe used car salespeople. My advice is to buy online and only from a reputable company that has a no questions asked 100% money back return policy.

We bought a Leesa king size mattress 4-5 years ago and still love it. After having tried a few other mattresses, the Leesa is the first mattress that both myself and my wife (picky sleeper and 40lbs lighter than me) really love how it feels.

Not saying Leesa is the best by any means because there is too much variation in sleeping styles and body types for one mattress type to be the best, but there are some excellent mattresses avail on line and there is little to lose if you buy from a reputable company that offers a no risk money back guarantee.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:22 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:01 am

+1

That is the route we took a few years ago. Time well spent.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Arrghh, I wrote a long reply that went to cyber space.

I purchased a new mattress in late 2018. Short answer: skip the reviews, they are useless. I wasted a lot of time on reading reviews.

My purchase was one of the best I've made in quite a while, I sleep much better these days. Take your own pillow with you to the mattress store. I found a couple of mattresses that I liked (Purple brand, mentioned upthread) but didn't care for the odor. Summary: Do a pillow test, do a smell test, and return it if you don't like it. Good luck!

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:07 pm

As others have said there is no right solution for every person and body type. Someone who weighs 300 pounds needs a different mattress than someone who weights 110 pounds.

Buy something with a good return policy (at least 30 days for any reason) and sleep on it in your home. Costco might be one choice. Another might be a local mattress manufacturer (real factory behind store). Another might be an online bed in a box retailer. The websites may be more useful for selecting a material (latex, memory foam, innerspring, etc). That said I like latex.

Post by 2015 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:39 pm

Peter Foley wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 am

I learned this too from the mattress store I got mine from in Los Angeles. They actually put me on a bed that was connected to a computer (!), had me lay in my sleeping position, and then printed out all kinds of supposed calculations on what my ideal type of bed would be. I saw this as some kind of gimmick, but in the end bought a mattress which turned out to be the most comfortable apparatus I've ever used for support in any situation (i.e., sitting, sleeping, leaning, etc.). It's now been 4 years I've had this memory foam mattress and I still feel the same. Great thing, it was also half the price of the Tempur-Pedic which I had liked first.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:44 pm

Let us know what you finally decide to do. A number of us need to buy new mattresses soon, and we’ll find your experience useful.
Last edited by UpperNwGuy on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:37 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:53 am
I am in the market for a queen mattress. I researched mattresses online and am having trouble finding objective reviews. I have found some websites that provide detailed reviews. However, I am suspicious of their objectivity because they provide links to mattress manufacturers often with discounts and some of their reviews sound like marketing pieces. My guess is they are compensated for these referrals and possibly some of their reviews. Consumer Reports is objective but their reviews exclude a lot of mattresses, especially some of the popular online mattress retailers.

Can anyone direct me to good objective reviews and ratings of mattresses? Thanks for your help.
I found that a lot of the online web sites seemed to be slanted. I did not want a foam mattress. Some people I guess love them, but my sister got one and finds it too hot. I wanted a coil/foam combination similar to a great hotel mattress. For financial reasons I have had to postpone the purchase, but I was going to order one online from www.Saatva.com . Actually I placed the order for a full sized (about $920),had to cancel and they were easy to deal with.It is not a foldable mattress that comes in a box, it is a full mattress that is delivered, but they had a no questions return policy, I think you had to pay shipping.

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Best rated by type according to leading consumer ratings magazine. Mattresses are so subjective. Even things like body weight can make a big difference. Go try some out and consider how it's going to feel in a year or two.

Avocado Green / spring

Casper / foam

Sleep Number / air

dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:56 pm

I also recommend https://www.themattressunderground.com/. So much information, I'm not sure how the Phoenix can answer so many question in the Forum in such detail and length.

With that said, we went with a latex mattress but I think I would prefer a standard innerspring mattress and just change it out more frequently. We had a memory foam mattress prior to the latex, but we didn't like the "sinking" down throughout the night.

annebert

Post by annebert » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 pm

I bought a new mattress about 18 months ago and both mattress underground and sleep like the dead provided a lot of useful advice. I figured out that I liked "hotel style" - coil base with foam topper. I knew I didn't like memory foam and decided on natural latex. I learned that top end hotels replace their mattresses frequently (like every year or less) so buying a "the same mattress used by hotels" is probably not the best choice. Somehow I got directed to Charles P Rogers, and ended buying from them. Mattress was delivered to my door; I had to ditch the old one myself. It was ~$1000 for my full mattress, but I am very satisfied. So is the cat.

harrington

Post by harrington » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Saatva........Best $$$ I ever spent.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:34 pm

There is nothing better than trying them out yourself. DW and I took us 5 trials to settle on one. We stuck with places that have zero hassle return policy. By zero hassle, I mean generous return and free ship. We started with Costco then tried other online foam mattress companies (Casper, purple, etc). Each time we tried the mattress 2 weeks - 30 days. Most places will have return up to 3 months.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:23 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:39 pm
An industry that is intentionally deceptive, with models that are unique to stores to make comparisons difficult, just like appliances. Not a fun time, and most people have no clue so their subjective assessment is worthless.
This is what we found when were searching for a new mattress. The usual tricks (researching reviews, etc.) did not work because every store has its own model names and rapidly change them. I'm sure that many of them are identical and produced in the same factory, but they make it impossible to compare. And this also makes reviews a lot less useful--because the "market" for reviews is so fragmented.

We ended up buying from Costco online. The first mattress we got from them was uncomfortable and we returned it for a full refund. The second one was perfect.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:25 pm

This months consumer reports magazine has a section on this.

sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm

I spent hours in stores test driving mattresses a couple years ago. Finally bought at a big half price sale at Macy's after spending over an hour trying them out. The salesperson warned me that the mattress as delivered would not feel the same as the mattress in the store - it wouldn't be as soft. When I got the mattress delivered, it felt fine for the first 10 minutes, then it was clear I needed more padding. I got up in the middle of the night, went online and ordered a 2 inch foam topper. That turned out to be a perfect solution.

I think in general, better to go slightly too hard than too soft - easier to fix with foam topper.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:43 am

sbaywriter wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm
I spent hours in stores test driving mattresses a couple years ago. Finally bought at a big half price sale at Macy's after spending over an hour trying them out. The salesperson warned me that the mattress as delivered would not feel the same as the mattress in the store - it wouldn't be as soft. When I got the mattress delivered, it felt fine for the first 10 minutes, then it was clear I needed more padding. I got up in the middle of the night, went online and ordered a 2 inch foam topper. That turned out to be a perfect solution.

I think in general, better to go slightly too hard than too soft - easier to fix with foam topper.
Thanks. A salesman told me that too. Also, I read that hotels use mattress toppers to make their beds more comfortable.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:37 am

This is what we bought several years ago. Same mattresses used in the Hilton Garden Inns and in hospitals. They are pricey but DW and I agree, its the best mattress we've ever owned...

https://naturalform.com

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm
Read a bunch of reviews on Amazon.

Mattresses with 100s and thousands of reviews. Read the negative ones. Our current mattress was $230 from Amazon. We had a $200 gift card and wanted to try a highly rated/lower cost mattress. It is working out great. If we only get 4-5 years from it, that is fine. We can repeat and still spend way less than a higher priced mattress.

The days of needing to spend $2,000 on a mattress and needing to have it last 10 years are gone. You can still do that, but there are a number of great options at much lower price points.

Many mattress companies offer returns so you can try them out for 90 or 100 days.

Also search for mattress threads using the search box. There are many.

Brooklyn Bedding
Purple
Casper
Nectar
Saatva
Zinus

I'm not doing the list any justice, but there are a lot of interesting options.
Thanks. I had no idea there had been that much discussion on this forum about mattresses. You can get a good feel for best mattresses by seeing the experiences of others on this site.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 am

dknightd wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:25 pm
Which month? I could not find anything in Jan or Feb issues.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:30 am

I always recommend my latex mattress from Flobeds. Versatile, plus excellent shipping and customer service. I think it is a family co.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:36 am

Carolinaman - March 2019 issue of Consumer Reports which I received in mail yesterday.
Tom D.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 am

Sleep number
https://www.sleepnumber.com/
I have had one for over 20 yrs now, the same one.
I have another in a spare room and my son in his home has one as well.

I bought the cheapest one and put my own 4" foam topper on it, as the foam wears out it is replaceable that way without replacing the whole mattress.
It's the only mattress I will ever own.

Lumbar spinal stenosis with bulging disks. Always feels better in the morning.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 am

Smoke wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 am
Sleep number

I bought the cheapest one and put my own 4" foam topper on it, as the foam wears out it is replaceable that way without replacing the whole mattress.

Sleep number beds are extremely polarizing. My in-laws have them, it is so bad for my wife and I that we now sleep on the floor when we visit. No bed even comes close to being as uncomfortable for us, and we have played with the settings probably 100+ times. My in-laws don't particularly like the one in their room either, but can't get themselves to give up something they spent so much for.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:55 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:45 am
Smoke wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 am
Sleep number

Sleep number beds are extremely polarizing. My in-laws have them, it is so bad for my wife and I that we now sleep on the floor when we visit. No bed even comes close to being as uncomfortable for us, and we have played with the settings probably 100+ times. My in-laws don't particularly like the one in their room either, but can't get themselves to give up something they spent so much for.
Yep, each person is different for sure, 100 night free trial
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:25 pm

You need to just go into the mattress stores and lie on them to find out what's best. That's really the only way to buy a mattress. You can ask a thousand people, but it's not going to do any good.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:43 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 am
dknightd wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:25 pm
Which month? I could not find anything in Jan or Feb issues.
March 2019 - just got it in the mail last week

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:47 pm

p.s. I like the sleep number beds . . .

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 am

I took a chance and bought the Casper mattress, based on it being the highest rated from Consumer Reports. I really wanted to like it, because I really hate the whole mattress game. Unfortunately, it's going back. It actually makes my back feel pretty good in the morning, but it is way too firm for me to get to sleep when I go to bed. My wife dislikes it too - too firm for side sleeping.

Topic Author
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:22 am

abner kravitz wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 am
I took a chance and bought the Casper mattress, based on it being the highest rated from Consumer Reports. I really wanted to like it, because I really hate the whole mattress game. Unfortunately, it's going back. It actually makes my back feel pretty good in the morning, but it is way too firm for me to get to sleep when I go to bed. My wife dislikes it too - too firm for side sleeping.
I bought a latex mattress earlier this year online. I am a side sleeper and prefer a medium firmness and had tried out numerous mattresses in stores. My mattress was way too firm when I bought it. I called the company and they said to give it at least two weeks and it should soften up. To my surprise it did and I have been extremely happy with it.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:29 am

carolinaman wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:22 am
abner kravitz wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 am
I bought a latex mattress earlier this year online. I am a side sleeper and prefer a medium firmness and had tried out numerous mattresses in stores. My mattress was way too firm when I bought it. I called the company and they said to give it at least two weeks and it should soften up. To my surprise it did and I have been extremely happy with it.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm about 30 days in now, but I will probably give it a couple more weeks

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 am

Reviews are garbage. Test drive the mattress yourself.

Many offer no risk trials. Typically 100 days. If you don't like it, you get a 100% refund. You don't even have to return the mattress. The manufacturer will send a charity to your home to have the mattress removed.

I ordered and returned 7 of them over a period of 2 years. The mattress that I kept is perfect (for me).
Funding secured

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:22 pm

You could try a mattress like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012J1TFTE/?c ... _lig_dp_it

We have several of these. 1,908 reviews.

Hybrid mattress with inner springs and memory/latex foam layers on top.

I would call it medium firm. You could buy 10+ of these for one $2,500 high end mattress. Toss them out every 12 months for 10 years. Go 2 years and you save 50% over a high end mattress.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:26 pm

harrington wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:35 pm
Saatva........Best $$$ I ever spent.
We own 2 Saatva mattressses and are happy with both.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:27 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 am

Many offer no risk trials. Typically 100 days. If you don't like it, you get a 100% refund. You don't even have to return the mattress. The manufacturer will send a charity to your home to have the mattress removed.

I ordered and returned 7 of them over a period of 2 years. The mattress that I kept is perfect (for me).
But most do not refund the original shipping, right? Or has that changed?

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:32 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 am

Couldn't agree more. I only went with the Consumer Reports choice because of the 100 day policy.