Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Summit111

Re: Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Post by Summit111 »

🤦‍♂️ Unbelievable....
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
Thegame14

Re: Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Post by Thegame14 »

Hulahoop60 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:28 pm Unless your dog has a bladder condition, there is absolutely no reason why you would have to go home every day at lunch. Except for when my dog was a puppy and he was potty training, I have never left the office to walk him & I am a 20 minute ride away. Even when I wake up in the morning, he will hold it in until I am ready to take him out - I shower, do my hair, dress for work & then take him for a walk. My first dog lived until 13 and my current dog is 4. I leave him his breakfast & a small bowl of water every day when I leave (& he loves when I leave because he gets the food!), so he doesn't drink too much when I am gone but enough in case he is thirsty. He holds it in for 9 hours during the day, but I restrict him to the kitchen only and he sleeps most of the time I'm gone as I have a Nest camera to monitor him. You may want to try to leave him home an hour longer each day of the week during your visit & increase the time each week to train him so he can hold it in the entire time you are gone. I did this when my dog was about 7 months old. Have to also mention, I am not a big fan of letting a dog out by himself in the yard unmonitored via a doggie dog. I know of dogs that have gone missing, are attacked by another dog or animal while in their own yard unattended. I have a neighbor whose small dog has gone missing because it was left out alone (they assumed someone stole him), but we have hawks and coyotes in the area.
my two dogs are small, but we take them out at 8AM before work, and then they go in the kitchen where they have beds to lay in, food and water, and we take them out at 5:30/6Pm when we get home from work, they both hold it during that time. but I would do this with a wee wee pad until he is used to the time you will be away and he will adjust his eating and drinking eventually knowing he wont be taken out as often.
gretah

Post by gretah »

I agree with others about hiring a local retired senior to let out the dog at lunchtime.

You might hire a few so they can decide who is on duty when one is unavailable due to travel, an appointment, etc.
researcher

Post by researcher »

MortgageOnBlack wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm My commute to work is 18 miles each way (36 round-trip). 4 days a week I have been letting him out of the house for a bathroom break around mid-day for my lunch. The entire ordeal usually takes 1-1.25 hour to let him out for 5, maybe 10 minutes. Besides the stress of doing basically 2 commutes a day, the additional wear and tear, gas, and rushing is starting to get to me. I've done this for over 2 years and am getting very tired of it with the lunchtime rush.
Perhaps I can try leaving him be for one day to see how it goes for him. I just feel like a bad guy.
I'm struggling to comprehend why you've wasted more than TWO years of your life on this ridiculous routine.

What is your aversion to simply leaving him be?
Why haven't you tried this very simple option a single time in the last 2+ years?
Leaving a dog at home from 7:30am - 5pm is not animal abuse.

Then to come up with a bunch of unnecessarily expensive/time consuming/elaborate alternatives.
Just do nothing, and let the dog stay at home during the day, like the tens of millions of other dogs around the country!
If you are that paranoid/concerned, just spend that 1.25 hours staring at him on the webcam.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Take the dog to work with you.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

This is more interesting then a Bitcoin thread. :wink:
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

F150HD wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:40 pm This is more interesting then a Bitcoin thread. :wink:
This board is going to the dogs. If you want to search for "Fido", you need to do it in the "Personal Finance" section. :D
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I agree with others who have said this isn't remotely necessary and you've trained your dog to go to the bathroom more often. Our dog (24 lb chihuahua mix) goes for a walk once a day, in the morning before I go to work, usually for 30-45 minutes. She almost never shows signs that she has to go at other times, and in fact if we have her outside at other times--like if she comes out while I'm cooking on the grill in the evening, or while we're hanging out in the pool all day--she generally explores the yard a bit or finds one of her favorite places to go sleep, but does not do her business. Point being, she is 100% content going 24 hours between potty breaks. 8-10 hours is not a big deal at all, especially considering dogs generally sleep all day while you're gone.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

When we had a puppy back in Ohio I drove home at lunch to let her out for the first few months, even with only a 30 minute roundtrip commute that got old really quick and she was able to hold it after that. We let both of our dogs home for 8+ hours with no apparent issues. I think it would be lonely if you only have one dog, maybe get a second from the humane society. :)

Bravo to you for making that horrendous commute so often for your dog but I think you should find an alternative as others have already mentioned.

Currently my husband works just 5 minutes from the house so he comes home to eat lunch and lets the dogs out at the same time. I work from home M/F so that helps. I don't like leaving them home alone all day either so I understand your motivation.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Toadandfriends

Post by Toadandfriends »

I love having a pet sitter I can text on short notice. You clearly love your dog - I'd hire a professional pet sitter/business. My pet sitter keeps a copy of my house keys. She drives a car with pet sitting info on it and wears t-shirts (w/pet sitter info on it!) to the house so the neighbors don't call the police. You can sign papers giving them permission to take your pet to the vet if needed. I have used them to drop my cat off at the vet bc I couldn't miss work. It is really nice to have pet care back up. Best of all, you will be able to go out of town for a weekend sans pet- just send a text message :)
Get your life back and take care of your dog.
Cheers :beer
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

Neighbors respond to monetary rewards. Approaching the fed min of no less than 7.77hr. Good relations counts. No free healthcare.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

aspirit wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:08 pm Neighbors respond to monetary rewards. Approaching the fed min of no less than 7.77hr. Good relations counts. No free healthcare.
:confused
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
coacher

Post by coacher »

One of my children is a professional dog walker in a densely populated metropolitan area as well as a part time vet tech. I showed her this thread and quote her advice as follows:

"Kudos to you for your desire to put your best friend first. He needs companionship and exercise at shorter intervals than a full work day allows as much as the potty breaks, although the latter is very important as well to help avert health issues as he ages. I urge you to consider options that involve human intervention (neighbor help, dog walkers, etc.) and not "kill yourself;" remember, he may not say it but he loves you too. Good luck."
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

coacher wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 am One of my children is a professional dog walker in a densely populated metropolitan area as well as a part time vet tech. I showed her this thread and quote her advice as follows:

"Kudos to you for your desire to put your best friend first. He needs companionship and exercise at shorter intervals than a full work day allows as much as the potty breaks, although the latter is very important as well to help avert health issues as he ages. I urge you to consider options that involve human intervention (neighbor help, dog walkers, etc.) and not "kill yourself;" remember, he may not say it but he loves you too. Good luck."
So you're saying professional dog walkers are in favor of pet owners making more use of professional dog walkers? :D Just kidding, everyone is allowed to plug their profession and you are labeling the source.

The point that was made I wonder about most is why a dog wouldn't be able to, or would be thought to suffer, holding it over normal door to door workday period when most dogs have to hold that long overnight. If the person works a very long day and/or walks the dog very late/early overnight then OK. But I think most dogs have to hold for 10+ hrs overnight, and most people's door to door work time is around that or less.

Our dog passed away last year: a big, terrifying looking, super sweet 'pit bull' type (a Dogo Argentino mix apparently). When she was young she needed three serious walks per day just to keep her energy in check, and it became standard her whole life though shorter walks in later years. I was around during the day, so ca. 9AM, 3-4PM, 10PM, but again that was ~11 hours overnight and no problem till right near the end. We occasionally dog-sit our daughter's dog now (more conventional American Pit Bull Terrier appearance, from same shelter, why go elsewhere based on the first experience?). The dog is fine during my daughter's workday when at home, and she insists I don't have to take the dog out as late as 10PM when she stays with us, even if I'm not going to walk her in the morning till 9AM, but I do from habit with the last dog.

Our late dog loved her dog walker very much (though she liked all humans, and got all his attention on solo walks since it wasn't safe for other dogs to let her near them). We used him when out of town.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Jimmie wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:44 pm
F150HD wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:40 pm This is more interesting then a Bitcoin thread. :wink:
This board is going to the dogs. If you want to search for "Fido", you need to do it in the "Personal Finance" section. :D
Throw me a bone, here!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TxAg wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:58 pm I'm amazed at some of the replies. I'm a big dog lover, but I'm also a realist. I also have human kids. The world is getting softer.
I am blown away at this thread. Then again, it shouldn't shock me, my own parents spend ~$10k/yr on their three dogs - which most of the time it seems they don't like - and they live paycheck-to-paycheck. I have a brother who does similar, in my opinion ridiculous, things for a pair of birds.
n00b

Post by n00b »

MortgageOnBlack wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm Thanks for the all the replies everyone. I will need to find a compromise solution on this one. I will read over all the comments received and make an adjustment to our routine. Thanks again. Perhaps I can try leaving him be for one day to see how it goes for him. I just feel like a bad guy, but the dog lives like a King. It really does feel like I'm paying him a visit in his house when I stop by.
I would recommend consistency rather than trying it sporadically. You also might work up to it by starting when you could come home a little early for a few days. My dogs never had any trouble with holding it for a work day but they weren't trained to go mid-day either.

But really, DOG DOOR! Best invention ever! Repair your fence or fence a kennel area that is accessible via the dog door.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

I guess you should feel lucky to have a job that you can take a hour and half every day. I don't have a dog, but a doggie door sounds like a good idea for most people. It wouldn't work at my house. I'd have racoons and all sorts of other night animals coming in for a visit.

My DS and girlfriend both decided they just had to have a dog (each) while in college. I don't know what they are going to do once they get out and start real jobs. I can just imagine my son telling his new boss that he can't make that important lunch meeting because he has to let the dog out. I know people that do it, but early in a career it might not be optimal. I know in my jobs there were many days that it would have been impossible to leave. Doggie door or dog walker sound like the best options.
Simple Simon

Post by Simple Simon »

Sell dog, buy hamster
BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies »

I, along with most people I know who work normal office hours, let the dog out in the morning before heading to work and then again once home. Like some others here have noted, my adult dog is perfectly fine holding it for 12+ hours. For most adult dogs other than a highly active breed that absolutely needs extensive exercise regularly, there's really no need to come home during lunch to let your dog out if you're letting him out in the morning as well as at night. You're wasting time and $ by unnecessarily coming home over lunch.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

researcher wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:09 pm
I'm struggling to comprehend why you've wasted more than TWO years of your life on this ridiculous routine.

What is your aversion to simply leaving him be?
Why haven't you tried this very simple option a single time in the last 2+ years?
Leaving a dog at home from 7:30am - 5pm is not animal abuse.

Then to come up with a bunch of unnecessarily expensive/time consuming/elaborate alternatives.
Just do nothing, and let the dog stay at home during the day, like the tens of millions of other dogs around the country!
If you are that paranoid/concerned, just spend that 1.25 hours staring at him on the webcam.
Seiorusly....People are ridiculous.

You don't love your dog more by going home every lunch. You are just confused into thinking you have to.

Every dog we ever had, has had no problem sleeping all day waiting for someone to come home 9-10 hours later. Millions of dogs all around the world wait for their humans to come home from work with no ill effects. To think you or your dog are somehow special is kind of ridiculous.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
renata

Post by renata »

I understand your love for your dog perfectly :)
I would worry about the doggie door and leaving him unsupervised in the back yard. What if he hurt himself,ate something etc.
There are many great ideas already posted by other dog lovers - I don't have anything to add. Good luck to you both :happy
Hulahoop60

Post by Hulahoop60 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:21 am
chevca wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm
MortgageOnBlack wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm 7) Any other suggestions I didn't think of?
Get a kennel or crate of some type and try that. Our dog, we'd leave home for a few hours and accidents would happen in the house. Got a kennel, and the boy can amazingly hold all for 10 to 12 hours. About to burst when we get home. :happy But, amazing how they don't like to go where they sleep, when in close proximity.

This is outright cruel. Why own a pet to do this to it?
Crate training is a very reliable way to potty train a dog, and it is highly recommended by professionals in the animal care industry. My dogs were crate trained and they absolutely love their crate. I would never be without it. Dogs originally were den animals so they are very comfortable in their crates and its a space they can go to when they need to rest or play, or be safe. Of course, my fluff ball has the most comfortable bedding in his crate! Crate training is also recommended so that a dog can travel safely in a car in its crate. I'm always amazed at people who travel with loose pets in their car. Now that is dangerous. It's also a safe place for the dog to go when workers must enter the house or the family is doing something that could cause the dog injury - hot plates from the oven, changing light bulbs on a ladder or step stool, etc. Once my dog was house trained as a puppy, we removed the door on the crate, but it can be added on in a second when he needs to be secure for safety reasons. My dog crate is in the kitchen but the door is removed so my dog can go in and out as he pleases. He naps in the crate during the day or takes toys in there to play, or takes in a bone so he can protect it, or moves to the furry cushioned bed we keep right outside of the crate. He loves to be in the kitchen with us as it's a busy area of the house where his people are (& his food is there)!
Hulahoop60

Post by Hulahoop60 »

Calico wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:16 am I know a lot of people already chimed in, but dogs aren't humans and really don't need to urinate as much as we do. They drink no where near as much as a human. I've never had a dog that had to go out in the middle of the day (except when they were sick or when they got elderly). Think of it this way, you don't get up in the middle of the night to let the dog out, right? Yes, the dog is sleeping at night, but I would bet money the dog is sleeping during the day too when you are at work. Aside from drinking a lot less than us, they also sleep more than we do too.

You've probably got your dog trained now to go out in the middle of the day, so you can't just cut off this bathroom break cold turkey. If you don't hire a dog walker or get a doggie door, you are going to need to slowly change your dog's routine. Start letting her out a little later each day until you get things to the point where the "normal" times to go out are right before you leave for work and right before you get home.
+1
chevca

Post by chevca »

Shallowpockets wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:21 am
chevca wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm
MortgageOnBlack wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm 7) Any other suggestions I didn't think of?
Get a kennel or crate of some type and try that. Our dog, we'd leave home for a few hours and accidents would happen in the house. Got a kennel, and the boy can amazingly hold all for 10 to 12 hours. About to burst when we get home. :happy But, amazing how they don't like to go where they sleep, when in close proximity.

This is outright cruel. Why own a pet to do this to it?
Because he pooped in the house a couple times. Did you miss that part? :wink:

He's more than welcome to pee or poop in the kennel. Never once trained or told him he couldn't. It's his choice not to. How's that cruel? And, he's loved more than you can imagine. Keep your accusations to yourself please.

It's a 12x6 foot kennel in my case as well. If that factors into your cruelness judgement.
Derby

Post by Derby »

This is why I have cat. :mrgreen:
Carpe Diem.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Speaking of a doggie door ... an unusual thing happened today. I had the kitchen back door propped open this afternoon to my fenced yard since it was nice and warm today. I was in the bedroom and heard my dog growl for second then go silent. I thought nothing of it because my dog is very relaxed just like me. Then a few minutes later this strange dog popped its head into the bedroom and wagged its tail.

It turned out that the neighbor's dog had pushed through a loose board in our back fence and could not get back home. My dog went out in the yard and laid down to watch me deal with coaxing the other dog back through the fence. Then I fixed the fence. I'm sure the neighbors never noticed their dog was missing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

My dog owning friends tell me if you get a dog you should have it microchiped. In case it gets lost. Apparently that same chip can be used to unlock a doggie door. Win win :)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I would never install a doggie door. People steal pets from back yards all the time. Unless you can install a doggie door that goes directly to a large cage/fence closed in on sides/top...I wouldnt go that route.

I used to do the "drive home and let dog out." Thats when he was a puppy. When he was around 1.5 years old...he had no issues holding it for 10 hours. And we have a 30lb dog. Larger dogs can apparently hold it longer??? Not sure if thats true or not.

The only way to find out is to not come home and let the dog out. Yeah it sucks...letting your dog home for 10+ hours at a time. They're like family. Those of us who are crazy dog owners get it. Trust me, it will be harder for you than it will be for the dog. Worst case, the dog messes in the house. If that happens, clean it up, make the drive home until you hire someone to let the dog out.

Those are your 2 options imo...let the dog hold it, or hire someone.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

What a thread...

Mom & Dad bought home with carport. Made carport 3 season room. Installed doggie door at one end by yard. Built fence of wood post & chicken wire. Dogs had indoor/outdoor carpet, a couch, dry food, water & plenty of sunshine. No critters. Worked for 20 plus years. By the time Mom sold, wood & wire needed replaced, but the buyers mentioned the setup as a positive.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
mouses

Post by mouses »

onourway wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:40 pm \ You’re eventually going to have to let people into your house when you aren’t there if you ever expect any interior work to get done that takes more than a few hours. We have had nannies, dog walkers, house sitters, contractors of all kinds, house cleaners etc. in our house for many years and never had any problems. Although we don’t expect them, either.
I would never do this. You just cannot trust workers to be careful about pets.

I would also be careful about using dog walking apps. There was a news story just recently about a dog hit by a car when being walked by one if these random people and the app company tried to cover it up.

I'd try the idea above of setting aside an area like in a connecting garage for the dog to use and then cleaning it every day like cat owners clean litter boxes. A doggie litter box.

You might ask your vet for suggestions also.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

You could put up some fencing in the back yard with a dog house and call it a day. Could also just put in a dog run outside.
mancich

Post by mancich »

As mentioned by many posters, a healthy dog should not have a problem holding it until you get home.
ttjt_99

Post by ttjt_99 »

Let him hold it. Most likely he will since he’s no longer a puppy. Just take him out right before you go to work and immediately when you get home. If he has an accident oh well.
gd

Post by gd »

I have lived in maybe 30 places in my adult life. Couldn't guess how many were plagued by barking dogs to the point it was a factor in moving; maybe close to 10 over 40 years. They were dogs put outside for the evening or weekday, usually with the owner gone from the house. Every time I've talked to the owner, the owner claimed their dog never barked. Every. Single. Time. Sometimes they were home when it barked; I'll leave that one for the psychiatrists. Eventually I just started calling the police at the start, and looking for somewhere else to live in case it didn't stop.

Dogs are social animals. If you can't provide that 24/7, you are stressing the dog. Stressed dogs bark. If you put your dog outside, there is a pretty good chance it will bark until you return. Then it won't bark, and you'll just see a happy quiet dog. It's not complicated.
rob65

Post by rob65 »

Talk to your vet about the issue and see what they recommend.

Seems like finding a trusted dog walker could be helpful for a variety of situations? Again, talk to your vet, but a nice walk might also have exercise advantages beyond the bathroom issue.
ny_knicks

Post by ny_knicks »

tealeaves wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 pm I have a 7 year old golden and would never leave him alone all day. I highly recommend interviewing local dog walkers from Rover.com and test drive some while you are in the area until you find someone you feel you can trust in your house. Even better if you can meet others in the neighborhood walking their dogs (look for docile ones) and inquire; many are happy to share their dog walkers who charge a lower unit price for each pooch they can walk at the same time.
Golden Retrievers (I have had many) should be able to hold it for an entire day without any distress. I walk him at 9 AM and my girlfriend walks him when she gets home around 8 PM - never had an issue. As a puppy we crate trained and obviously walked more freuently but by the time he was 5 months old he could easily hold it all day. Has full run of the house and has never gone to the bathroom inside since he finished potty training.

I am sure people will crucify me on here but we were incredibly busy one day and miscommunication led to neither of us walking him in the morning. He went 10 PM to 8 PM the following night. When I got home he wanted dinner...not to go out and played with me for a solid 20 minutes inside before I realized our mistake. Never even made an inclining of needing to go out and when he finally was outside still sniffed around for 5 minutes before peeing lol I was shocked

We use Rover to provide entertainment if we’ll be gone more than 10 hours not because we are concerned about him needing to go.

Use a doggie cam and he sleeps the entire day right at the door
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

OP is clearly ignoring all responses that recommend just letting the pet hold it. Unless I am mistaken, it seams to be a non-starter.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
OpattyD

Post by OpattyD »

We used one of those dog walking apps. Once we met the girl we agreed to just pay her under the table to cut out the fee's from the app. For $10 she let him outside for 15 minutes or so. When we got our second dog I started paying her $15/visit.

Once our dogs got a little older we decided to stop using the service unless we new it was going to be an extra long day. Our dogs can hold it well over 12 hours now, but are in crates for other behavioral issues. Doggy daycare is awesome and good exercise. Goodluck
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

I take my puppers (a Cavalier Spaniel) to doggy day care if I'm not working out of home that day. He can go a couple hours alone, but isn't really good at holding it if someone isn't home, unfortunately. Doggy Daycare is the best solution, he has lots of fun with his friends, and comes home plenty exhausted.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Ah, animal lovers are going to do what animal lovers do. Nothing wrong in my book. Not a dog person, as I always found them to be too needy, compared to a cat. I like the attitudes of cats. They aren't going to slobber all over you just because you came through the door. If it suits them, they might wander up and allow you to pet them, or maybe not. Unconditional love from a cat? Ha, just let a neighbor give them food they like better; bye bye kitty cat! Much different behavior than dogs.

OP, do what makes sense for you, it's your pooch, and your money that will be spent. Priorities concerning pets are highly personal, don't sweat the less than supportive remarks.

Me, I would vote for a doggie door opening to a fenced run with some shelter that allows the pooch to stay out of direct sun if they enjoy staying outside to enjoy fresh air.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

I love dogs. Most dog owners don’t. You are spending an hour of your day to let the dog out for 5-10 minutes. Retrievers are not meant to roam around a house all day. It irks me that people have dogs and “let them out” to go to the bathroom. Dogs want to run! While I’m sure your dog is really happy to see you for those 10 minutes, your dog willl be way happier if you devoted an hour of your time to walking or running them (past the backyard) every night. And you save the gas and depreciation on your car!
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Our dogs run free all day. They always make it back home at night.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

We have a dog run that is attached to our garage. We have a 8x30 run that is over crushed stone with 6 foot fence and the top is also enclosed with chain link fence. This attaches to the dog door In our garage , there we have a 6x6 pen again with fence and we can padlock the thing so if anyone is smart enough to want to break in with our two Dobermans they can put thats as far as they get. We have a heated garage that we keep at about 62 so the dogs are fine on their platform with dog blankets. The dog door is easy for them to use and we also have cameras so we can keep an eye on things when not at home. 99% of the time the dogs are under someones feet but when no one can be home this works out well. Hope this helps...I would think that the cost would not be that bad compared to running back home everyday...I will tell you that I am a fan of anyone that cares that much about their dog.
Last edited by OldBallCoach on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
segfault

Post by segfault »

Dog walker or someone in the neighborhood who is retired / works from home.

I'd possibly consider a doggie door, depending on your dog's temperament - what would happen, for instance, if someone accidentally left the gate open? I couldn't take that risk with my dog, as she is extremely dog reactive, and would fight the first dog that walked by. I'm a five minute drive from my work, and let her out to play and potty most days at lunch, but she's fine when I don't, and I work only slightly shorter hours than you do. She sleeps most of the day and doesn't drink water when I'm not home, even though it's freely available to her.

If your boss alleges your dog is spoiled, you need to step up your game--mine gets a homemade doggie birthday cake and a piece of filet mignon on her birthday, and she gets more Christmas presents than I do. :P
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
sergio

Post by sergio »

You should sell your house and move closer. Or change jobs. If you really love your dog, you'll do anything for it even if that means being a busboy at a nearby restaurant.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Calico wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:16 am I know a lot of people already chimed in, but dogs aren't humans and really don't need to urinate as much as we do. They drink no where near as much as a human. I've never had a dog that had to go out in the middle of the day (except when they were sick or when they got elderly). Think of it this way, you don't get up in the middle of the night to let the dog out, right? Yes, the dog is sleeping at night, but I would bet money the dog is sleeping during the day too when you are at work. Aside from drinking a lot less than us, they also sleep more than we do too.

You've probably got your dog trained now to go out in the middle of the day, so you can't just cut off this bathroom break cold turkey. If you don't hire a dog walker or get a doggie door, you are going to need to slowly change your dog's routine. Start letting her out a little later each day until you get things to the point where the "normal" times to go out are right before you leave for work and right before you get home.
I work from home so I can attest that dog shroud between 16 and 18 hours a day.

But she also had the world's smallest bladder and can't go more than 4hrs without having to pee. She often wake us up at 3am. We tried crating with limited success.
jhawktx

Post by jhawktx »

Summit111 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 am 🤦‍♂️ Unbelievable....
+1
zeal

Post by zeal »

At my last job I was gone for 12 hours a day Mon through Thurs. Dog had an accident the first day but never again for 5 years. Just leave him--he'll learn & be fine.