Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MortgageOnBlack

Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm

First off, before it gets suggested, my dog isn't going anywhere. We love him very much! Our dog is non-destructible and has no separation anxiety. He is a 5-year-old Golden Retriever who has free rein of house when we're not there. We are able to to watch him on our Nest cam throughout the day and he sleeps, mostly. My commute to work is 18 miles each way (36 round-trip). 4 days a week I have been letting him out of the house for a bathroom break around mid-day for my lunch. The entire ordeal usually takes 1-1.25 hour to let him out for 5, maybe 10 minutes (there's even a rare occasions where he refuses to go; of course, 5-10 minutes might not be enough time for him to do his business). Besides the stress of doing basically 2 commutes a day, the additional wear and tear, gas, and rushing is starting to get to me. I've done this for over 2 years and am getting very tired of it with the lunchtime rush. Luckily, there is some relief when my fiancee is on Summer, (2-2.5 months) Spring (2 weeks), and Winter break (1 week?). Now, it seems crazy, but there has to be a solution to my ordeal:

1) Doggie Door - I don't like the idea of having him have full access to our backyard. I also worry about critters coming in (squirrels, raccoons, stray cats, etc...). Now I do find solution which require my pet to wear a collar for access, but I don't like the idea of him coming/going when we're not home. The preferred solution would be a app driven doggie door which I could control from my phone. I have searched the market for one and they don't exist. Maybe I should invent it :D

2) Have someone closer let him out - My fiancee can only break away from the school for 20-30 minutes 1 day a week which explains why I am doing it 4 times. She is a kindergarten teacher and doesn't have much flexibility, but she is a lot closer. We also don't have anyone in the area we can trust.

3) Doggie DayCare/Drop-him off at a relative - I have no relatives on the way to my job. Doggie DayCare could be an option.

4) Look for a job closer to the house - :confused

5) Sell the house and move - :confused

6) Leave him be - I don't like the idea of this and this has been the main reason I have handled things the way I have. I usually leave the house around 7:20am/7:30am and don't get home until 5:30/5:45pm. Fiancee leaves earlier than me, but usually gets home around 5:00/5:15pm

7) Any other suggestions I didn't think of?

Anybody ever have a situation like this? How did you cope. Getting really tired of the drive, but if this is as good as it gets then I will just suck it up... Sometimes, I can do on-site consulting work and we have lots of clients mid-way. I usually try to schedule them first thing in the afternoon.

If possible, please help me think outside the box on this one. I've been stubborn and it's starting to burn me out.
Last edited by MortgageOnBlack on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Post by 123 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 pm

That dog is being treated than most spouses.

Are there dog-walking services in your area? I've seen commercial dog-walkers that have about 5 -7 dogs on leashes. They seem to handle the dogs just fine. Of course the dogs have to be "civilizied" enough to qualify for the service.
Last edited by 123 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

bloom2708

Re: Letting Dog out everyday for lunch... the roundtrip drive is killing me.. ideas?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

Any neighbors you would trust to let him out? Consistency with hiring someone to do it would be the issue.

I have many days where I simply cannot leave for lunch. I don't know what I would do. I guess that is why we do not have a dog.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

I
123 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 pm
I will have to agree. My boss calls him a "royal dog".

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

Installed dog doors in every house I've owned. I've never had anything unwanted come inside. I guess I've never been concerned about my dog having "full access to my backyard"? It's really the easiest and cheapest solution. I could never imagine going back to a situation w/o one.

Topic Author
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm
Any neighbors you would trust to let him out? Consistency with hiring someone to do it would be the issue.

I have many days where I simply cannot leave for lunch. I don't know what I would do. I guess that is why we do not have a dog.
I don't think I want to trust anyone (outside of family and close friends) to keys to my house.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm

Our dog can hold it for 16+ hours. Maybe you are feeding the dog too much food? When we were both working, we never came home to let him out nor made any arrangements.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

My daughter hired a dog walker. You might want to consider that. I can't believe you have been driving that distance during lunch for the past two years!

mrc

Post by mrc » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

We left our adult dogs at home for years while working an hour away. Mid-day bathroom breaks would have been impossible. Wife left the house an hour or so after I did, and I got home between 8-12 hours later. Unless someone was sick, we didn't have problems. This was 4 days a week. Have you tried leaving them be?
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

Post by 123 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:27 pm

There is some internet chatter that dogs can be trained to use a regular toilet. If you could manage that it would open up new vistas to your dog's life.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:27 pm

I'm not a pet person, but you did ask for thoughts outside of the box... can you designate an area that is inside your house or maybe an enclosed semi-inside area like a patio or a garage or a basement where you can set up a potty area with maybe fake grass or something and train him to go there? Then clean out the potty area when you get home?

go140point6

Post by go140point6 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:30 pm

doggie diaper?

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Doggie Door

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:37 pm

Leave the dog outside while you are at work. Put in the doggie door from the backyard door to the garage so he has somewhere to curl up to sleep, get out of the wind, rain, etc. Did it with several dogs over the years, no problems.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:40 pm

We have left every dog we’ve ever had in during the day while we go to work except when they are very young and very old.

If not, you need a dog walker. You’re eventually going to have to let people into your house when you aren’t there if you ever expect any interior work to get done that takes more than a few hours. We have had nannies, dog walkers, house sitters, contractors of all kinds, house cleaners etc. in our house for many years and never had any problems. Although we don’t expect them, either.

RobLIC

Post by RobLIC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:41 pm

This is such a sweet note, and I totally relate. In NYC, it really takes a village. I never imagine half my apartment building would have the keys to my apartment, but sometimes we all have to help each other out.

The hardest part (for you...not the dog) is finding a reliable dog walker. Can you ask friend for a referral? You could even give him/her an extra-competitive rate,when you think about all the gas money you’ll be saving — never mind the stress you’d let go of. Good luck. 🐾🐾

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:46 pm

how about training him to go on a wee wee pad???

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:47 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:24 pm
Our dog can hold it for 16+ hours. Maybe you are feeding the dog too much food? When we were both working, we never came home to let him out nor made any arrangements.
This. Our dog could hold it for 12-16 hours until it get to be really old.

indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:47 pm

Check this out: https://wagwalking.com

Probably worth a shot.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 pm

Crate training

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:53 pm

As others have said, I never left work, school, or anything else to let a dog outside during the day. Except with puppies, it was seldom an issue.

If he MUST go outside during the day, try finding a senior citizen nearby who would enjoy making a couple of bucks a day as well as the exercise to come let the dog out.

Topic Author
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks for the all the replies everyone. I will need to find a compromise solution on this one. I will read over all the comments received and make an adjustment to our routine. Thanks again. Perhaps I can try leaving him be for one day to see how it goes for him. I just feel like a bad guy, but the dog lives like a King. It really does feel like I'm paying him a visit in his house when I stop by.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Don't get rid of dog or put the dog outside for extended periods of time in all types of weather. I had the same problem, not knowing when I would be home after work. Decided to leave the basement door open and put down lots of newspapers. I left the basement lights on all day and took the dog downstairs to see the newspapers. The dog was usually able to hold it, but did use the newspapers when necessary. I would praise the dog and let her know that everything was fine, it was OK to use them.

There are times when you just can't do the commute more than once a day or have obligations after work that extend your time away from home even more. I did not feel comfortable having people coming into our home or giving them a key. This worked out well. So every once in a while you clean up the newspapers and disinfect the floor. Fortunately my basement floor was just concrete, not finished.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:58 pm

They make pet doors that work with the dogs microchip.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:58 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by mhalley on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike77308

Post by mike77308 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:58 pm

My son leaves his dogs for about 11 hours a day and they seem to get along well. They do not have any special needs so that probably helps. He calls me to go to his house and let them out if he is detained at work. If your dog can't wait for the duration that you and your fiancée are away then I would engage a dog walking service. My next door neighbor operates such a service in a nearby college town and seems to spend the whole day taking care of everyone's pets. He also takes care of them while their owners are out of town or on vacation. We live out in the country and he also boards horses, he and his wife are quite the animal lovers.

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 pm

Seriously? Get a new job or house?

teach the dog to hold it

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:05 pm

Hire a pet sitter/dog walker. You can look here https://www.petsit.com/ for "certified" pet sitters in your area. I don't know how important the criteria on that site are, ultimately, but they do have some kind of exam and educational programs (for pet sitters). When I look up our pet sitter (which we use for our cats when we are out of town), I can see that she carries insurance, can provide proof of a background check, and is trained in pet first aid.

When we first hired our pet sitter (to replace our previous one who was going into another line of work), she came to our house to meet our cats and get all of their information as well as any information we wanted to share about our desired routine or anything about our house. We have no problem with her coming to our home to care for our cats.

Personally, I would be leery of using a pet door. I would be afraid the dog would get out of the yard (maybe someone left a gate open, maybe the dog dug its way out. Perhaps fear is from reading about so many escaped/missing/found dogs and cats Nextdoor.

Choose well and your will thank you for it (if your dog can talk).

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Every dog we had when we were working was able to hold it for 12 hours, unless they were puppies or elderly.

Regardless, this is exactly what dog walkers are for. I get that you don't trust anyone who isn't in your family, but people give out keys to their houses all the time, whether it's for dog walkers, house cleaners, or whatever. Get referrals from friends or neighbors, and find someone trustworthy.

The other option is doggie daycare, but that is usually more expensive than a dog walker.

Dog door will work, too. We've never, ever had anything except the dog use the dog door. If you don't want the dog all over the yard, fence in a smaller area close to the door.

Pretty much just pick something, try it, and see how it works out. If it doesn't work, try something else.

BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Have had a dog door into the backyard for our White Westie for 11yrs without a single problem.
If you have a good privacy fence and a lockable gate, doggie door is a good way to go.
If you are worried about giving access to all the yard, I have seen some put up a chain-link fence around a smaller "safe" area.
Internet video cameras are cheap and easy to install if you want to monitor remotely and they even have voice capability.
My 2 cents.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:17 pm

livesoft wrote:
+10.

Our 60 pound dog walks 45-90 minutes every morning around 7 and evening around 6. Twice a day since she was around 8 months old. She does fine with 11 hours and can easily hold it longer. She did 16 hours on an intercontinental flight with us. She shows no anxiety to pee/poop sooner (unless stomach emergency) and self-controls how much water she drinks at home.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:22 pm

livesoft wrote:
I agree. We had a golden that did not need let out for 12 hours.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm

Owned two dogs that totally loved us despite the fact that we left them at home and alone for 8-10 hrs every weekday. They very rarely had accidents and only when very young, sick, or very old.

JimMolony

Post by JimMolony » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 pm

wag.com or similar dog walk company. Much cheaper than your gas and wear/tear plus the dog gets a walk.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm

I cannot believe, well, yes I can, that people leave their pets for such long times. We love him, is part of the family, etc. yet, there they are, left alone for extended periods of time.
I think you should suck it up and do what is right for the dog as you have been and for which you should have given forethought.
I have some dogs, nearby, maybe five left all day, up to 16 hours with no one at the house.
This is pet America.
With all the ability to turn on lights, cameras, adjust heat from remote per our phones, you would think there would be a remote doggie door you could activate. Try Amazon.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:32 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm
I
123 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:21 pm
I will have to agree. My boss calls him a "royal dog".
You are a great owner.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:36 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm
I cannot believe, well, yes I can, that people leave their pets for such long times. We love him, is part of the family, etc. yet, there they are, left alone for extended periods of time.
I think you should suck it up and do what is right for the dog as you have been and for which you should have given forethought.
I have some dogs, nearby, maybe five left all day, up to 16 hours with no one at the house.
This is pet America.
With all the ability to turn on lights, cameras, adjust heat from remote per our phones, you would think there would be a remote doggie door you could activate. Try Amazon.
A lot of things pet owners do are really for the owner and not the dog. Do you think dogs enjoy being put in a sweater or attending birthday parties for other dogs? In this case the dog has free reign of the house. He isn't suffering by any means if left for a standard workday.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:40 pm

There are lots of dog walking services and they usually aren't very expensive: $15/day should do it.

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Toons wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:35 pm
Doggie Door

:happy
Well kinda sorta..........Toons might have the correct answer.........you can take either the one from the right hand or the left hand............

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:46 pm

7:30-5:30 is not too long for the dog to hold it.

peregrino

Post by peregrino » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:54 pm

I would think a healthy golden retriever in his prime would have no trouble holding it for 10 hours each workday.

My hound dog is younger and smaller than your dog, and can be home alone for 10, 11, even on unusual days 12 hours without incident.

My last dog was a beagle mix who was under 30 pounds his whole life. Even his little bladder could take 10-11 hours when he was in his prime, which lasted until he was 11 years old.

Unless there is something unusual about this particular large dog, in my experience such a dog could do without the midday break on a regular basis.

Elena

Post by Elena » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:57 pm

I would not make my dog hold urine for the entire day. It is really taxing on their kidneys. The dog sure is "able to hold it" but I would not want my pet to be uncomfortable for so many hours.
In your case, I would definitely hire a dog person. They are really fine with home keys. They just come to the door, grab the pet, go outside for 15 min., then drop the pet back in, and leave for their next assignment. It is cheaper than doggie daycare for an entire day. That is what I would do, as it provides company in a long day, plus the bathroom.
Other than that, if you do not want to install a doggie door, you can try an indoor potty system. I do not find them hygienic, but people say their dogs like it. One that is called Fresh Patch is basically a square of sod that you replace monthly.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 pm

onourway wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:40 pm
We have left every dog we’ve ever had in during the day while we go to work except when they are very young and very old.

If not, you need a dog walker. You’re eventually going to have to let people into your house when you aren’t there if you ever expect any interior work to get done that takes more than a few hours. We have had nannies, dog walkers, house sitters, contractors of all kinds, house cleaners etc. in our house for many years and never had any problems. Although we don’t expect them, either.
This. A reputable dog walker is the solution.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:04 pm

If you can afford it, doggy daycare is best for the dog. The boredom factor alone is good reason. Your dog will love you for it. Other than what's been mentioned, you could use absorbent pads and hope he hits it/them.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:06 pm

Boredom? Aren't dogs are supposed to sleep something like 18 hours a day? A 4 mile run in the morning before work is all it takes to get a dog to sleep the rest of the day. A goldie should have no problems with that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Our pet sitter does daily in&out potty breaks for many clients. Maybe there's a neighbor stay-at-home parent or retired person who would enjoy a few extra bucks a week and some Golden Retriever play time. I know I would! Our Golden lived to 17 yrs. I hope yours does too!

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:08 pm

Two businesses that I know of in my community keep a dog at the business. One is a vet who brings her dog to work, a Golden Retriever, sprawled under the receptionist’s desk. Another business, financial planning, allows one of the employee’s dogs to be at the place of business. My son works in an adjacent building and sometimes walks the financial planner’s dog on the undeveloped lot which is part of his own boss’s real estate. It's a high point of my son's day. Retrievers have a near perfect temperament for this.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:14 pm

I go home every day at lunch to let my dogs out. However, I have a 1.2 mile bike ride each way. If I had the commute you do, I would hire someone to let them out. I found a wonderful dog sitter on rover.com. I would see if there is someone on that site who could let your dog out during the day. In my neighborhood, there are sitters on that site that only charge $15/walk.

runner540

Post by runner540 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:15 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm
Thanks for the all the replies everyone. I will need to find a compromise solution on this one. I will read over all the comments received and make an adjustment to our routine. Thanks again. Perhaps I can try leaving him be for one day to see how it goes for him. I just feel like a bad guy, but the dog lives like a King. It really does feel like I'm paying him a visit in his house when I stop by.
Wow. 36 miles = $20.88 per day using IRS mileage for 2019. That doesn't even count your time and stress (and career impact if boss has noticed).

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:16 pm

I’m retired and live in a comfortable suburb. Two years ago, we put in a doggy door, because we adopted an older beagle who just wanted easy access to outside. BEST THING WE EVER DID. The doggy door is not only great for Hershey’s comings and go7bgs, but it gives us the latitude to make day trips. When our return from a long weekend in New Orleans was delayed by ice last year, our dog sitter also had issues getting to our house— but the dogs still had backyard access, thanks to the doggy door.

No critter has ever tried to enter, but we preemptively installed “anti rodent” devices to prevent anyway. We usually put the “hatch” on the dog door at night.

As for folks who suggest that dogs should be able to last 12+ hours without going outside.... hmm. Wonder how you would last without a bathroom break for 12 hours. And of course, sometimes there are other issues (age, illness) to consider.

Love my dogs, and I have found no down side to having a doggy door. I’m only kicking myself for not having done this 30 years a ago.

P.S. As a retiree who likes both walking and dogs, I have been hired by neighbors to walk their dogs for a mid day break. The going rate is $10-15 but it is money well spent. (FWIW mine is donated to the dog rescue people.)