Please share some lifestyle creep you regret.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cherijoh

Re: Please share some lifestyle creep you regret.

Post by cherijoh »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:14 am I usually regret anything I buy that is a multiple of something I already have. Even if it is a "super deal".
It certainly isn't the $10 or $15. It is they crowd your mental space and time. I (we?) are hard wired to love "great deals" even if we don't need the stuff.
:thumbsup

I think I do a good job on the big, budget-busting stuff. I have a "starter" home that is also popular with retirees (of which I am now one) - I avoided the whole upgrade the house and then downsize (which was practical as a single person with no kids). The same for cars. I always bought new but then held on to them until they weren't reliable anymore. Previous car went 15 years then was totalled in an accident; current car hit the 8 year mark last fall. None of them have been luxury cars. I feel no need to buy the lastest and greatest technology or to redecorate the house.

But I do tend to go overboard with clothes, shoes, and accessories. None of them are outrageously expensive - quality but no high end "designer" brands. I just have too much and then find myself wearing the same 20 - 30% of my wardrobe over and over again. (Especially now that I am retired). I still can't resist looking when there is a good sale, but have gotten much better about not buying or at least returning things when my rational self reasserts itself! :wink:
yeahman

Post by yeahman »

I find it fairly easy now to avoid the big lifestyle creeps, namely, house, cars, expensive hobbies, and pets. It's the more impulse purchases that I still have a hard time with, namely, dining and entertainment. I don't regret traveling but the impulse purchases are much worse when traveling. "I may never come back here again so I'm going to eat and see everything as if money is no object this week."
Last edited by yeahman on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fposte

Post by fposte »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:06 pm
What I also find interesting is some of the items people list as regrets, others list as positives in the "what lifestyle creep you are happy about thread."
I've got art in both categories. These things are complicated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

* Owned a BMW about 20 years ago, but I learned my lesson there. Toyotas now for me.
* Bought a vacation property. Very dumb choice. I never get to use it now that I have kids and just incur costs. I might finally get some return from harvesting timber. Maybe I can delude myself into calling it an "alternative investment".
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm A smaller lifestyle creep has been Scotch. At one point we were spending $80-$100 a bottle with and every now and then purchases getting close to $200. We have cut back to about $50 bottles and see no change in our pleasure from drinking them.
It is easy to get going with Scotch. There is so much to try. I had to catch myself before I really started "collecting". My go to is Springbank 10.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

What I also find interesting is some of the items people list as regrets, others list as positives in the "what lifestyle creep you are happy about thread."

[Distracting animated GIF removed by admin LadyGeek. Here's the link: https://media1.tenor.com/images/9eb61b7 ... d=10055367 ]
When you think about it though, if everyone regretted the same things (luxury cars, expensive watches, bigger homes or whatever else), those things would no longer exist.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

Guitars:

I have played guitar for 45 years now, and have always had serious creep in this area. I recently bought a top of the line Stratocaster and a mid range LesPaul. I bought a new acoustic as well, a new pedal board, new amplifier, etc. I find excuses to tell myself to get new equipment such as giving hand me down guitars to my kids, etc.

In my defense (and this is what I tell my wife), I have always owned less expensive guitars, so these recent purchases are a gift to myself for sticking with a hobby that long.
beyou

Post by beyou »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:14 am I usually regret anything I buy that is a multiple of something I already have. Even if it is a "super deal".

I love biking. Any bike beyond 1 I end up regretting because I can't use the multiples enough. I currently have 3 bikes. A $15 Trek and a $10 Wheeler (Polish). I stupidly can't pass up nice bikes for almost zero. But then, they take up space and I can't get them enough miles.

It certainly isn't the $10 or $15. It is they crowd your mental space and time. I (we?) are hard wired to love "great deals" even if we don't need the stuff.
But then don't you end up spending $ fixing them up ? Telling me you get bikes on great working condition for $10 ?
Where and when ? I'll be there.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I have a generic answer...anything that involves recurring cost (vs variable) is something to consider as a regrettable decision.
I mind more my quarterly bill for my alarm monitoring than I did tuition for my kids.
When they graduate, tuition is done, but my alarm monitoring bills carry on forever .....
Just an outrageous example, and of course one can eliminate such recurring costs, but the point is I have a project to eliminate recurring costs.
Do nothing and variable costs are eliminated....
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

beyou wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:43 pm

I love biking. Any bike beyond 1 I end up regretting because I can't use the multiples enough. I currently have 3 bikes. A $15 Trek and a $10 Wheeler (Polish). I stupidly can't pass up nice bikes for almost zero. But then, they take up space and I can't get them enough miles.

But then don't you end up spending $ fixing them up ? Telling me you get bikes on great working condition for $10 ?
Where and when ? I'll be there.
I can't say I never spend anything on them. I did have to put a new front wheel bearing in the 1992 Trek 8900 mountain bike. The bearing was creaking. This $15 Trek was from the thrift store near me. Carbon triangle. Good tires, seat, gears/brakes all worked. I adjusted a couple cables.

The $10 Wheeler 3600 was from another thrift store close by. It is hard winter and so bikes are "off season". The early 1990s Wheeler has some great Dura XT components. Narrower 700 x 40 tires. It is labeled as a cross bike. Tires good. Brakes/shifting perfect. One small tear in the seat. I put some black duct tape over the rip. I basically clean them up, lube a few things and they both are good to go. I don't know as much about the Wheeler brand. Did some research.

There is a lot of junk in that price range. I had an offer to sell the Trek for $175 and didn't take it as it is a really nice mountain bike. It was probably $700 in 1992.

I do distinguish between Huffy/Walmart junk. I don't regret getting a good deal. They are fun/awesome bikes. I just end up thinking I could have passed on the deals and just not messed with it. :confused
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
hfj

Post by hfj »

We were initially excited to get a house with a pool, and for a few years it was great when the kids were younger, and we do have some good memories of parties and other social gatherings around the pool. But maintenance became a bigger and bigger issue as we used the pool less and less. Besides the regular need to check on it, we had some problems with the concrete around the pool, the solar was always springing leaks which were a pain to plug, and when the pool had a serious leak for a second time (we were losing a lot of water daily) we opted to fill it in, roughly 8 years after we purchased the house.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

livesoft wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:14 amI (we?) are hard wired to love "great deals" even if we don't need the stuff.
My spouse does that with fresh strawberries. We never ever eat them, so I should just toss them in the compost pile the day they are brought home fresh.
I also take advantage of strawberry sales. In my experience, as long as I wash and dry them that day, and then store them carefully (in a bowl, layered in paper towels) they will last a few days in the fridge. I will also, on day 1, cut up pieces to add to yogurt, where they will keep for a week or so. I assume you already know this, though :wink:
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Buying a large house and yard when I moved to a low cost of living area (now gone).

Ex-Spouse--honestly I think this process was necessary for me to find my happy place I am now but it would have been nice if I could have gotten to where I am sans the ex-spouse.

Buying all kinds of stuff because it was a bargain, cheap, etc.

Collecting lots of stuff when I was younger that is now a burden to get rid of.

I think fundamentally for me the lesson is I prefer simplicity and less stuff. Also I prefer to spend money on travel vs things.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

rjbraun wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:05 pm I also take advantage of strawberry sales. ..., where they will keep for a week or so. I assume you already know this, though :wink:
I am not adverse to eating strawberries, but I prefer blueberries which have also been on sale. Add to that the bumper crop of oranges we have from our orange tree and all the tangerines given to us by our neighbor. We gave them oranges. Nevertheless, I have a two-month supply of oranges and tangerines to work through, so I have no time nor reason to eat any strawberries. And yes, oranges will keep that long especially if you don't pull them off the tree.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

25 years ago, after about 4 years of marriage, my wife and I moved to a good sized city for a 2 year assignment with the Army where I'd be home pretty much every night and every weekend after 4-5 years of me being gone for about 5-6 months of the year (go Army!). My wife also had the best paying job of her career during that assignment and was making as much as I was. For some odd reason, we went out to eat constantly. In a time when we still had no children and no major financial responsibilities, we blew it all on eating out when we really could have made some solid headway on building our financial future. Luckily, we never went into debt, but we blew through a ton of money for those 2 years.
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

Flying Business Class for long distance international flights. A great luxury indeed and really hard to go back to coach once you get used to it. Should've never done it.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

An expensive patio table we bought from Pottery Barn last spring. I fell into the allure of a 40% off sale.
I still like the table, but we don't use it nearly enough to justify the purchase.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:34 pm

[Distracting animated GIF removed by admin LadyGeek. Here's the link: https://media1.tenor.com/images/9eb61b7 ... d=10055367 ]
When you think about it though, if everyone regretted the same things (luxury cars, expensive watches, bigger homes or whatever else), those things would no longer exist.

It is also easy to regret things after you have sucked all the enjoyment out of it. If you buy the sports car, you might regret it. If you don't buy the sports car, you might regret it more. You end up with regret either way.
indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease »

Pool they alway say make sure it looks nice because it will become are soon beacuse no one will us it(thats my pool) On the scotch I don't agree if you like it enjoy it. Life is to short to drinik the garbage cheap stuff. I like the Crown Royal Reserve not to expensive.
carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan »

House: Most people live in 3 or 4 rooms. I'd dare say that's all most of us need. Houses are money pits, even when they're in good shape.

My personal "use it or lose it rule" (if you don't use it in a year, it must go) has kept me safe from most of the other decisions that turned out not to be so good for the long haul. eBay used to be my friend.

These days I'm very careful about acquisitions of any kind because I've learned that less is usually more. Possessions = prisons. Freedom is freedom from possessions.
carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan »

crystalbank wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:32 pm Flying Business Class for long distance international flights. A great luxury indeed and really hard to go back to coach once you get used to it. Should've never done it.
Try to plan trips with reasonable distances in-between.

For example, fly to Europe via Iceland Air. Iceland is only ~5 hours from the U.S. Then from there it's a quick 2-hour flight to Amsterdam or many other places.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

crystalbank wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:32 pm Flying Business Class for long distance international flights. A great luxury indeed and really hard to go back to coach once you get used to it. Should've never done it.
Funny, this happened to me, too, but only when we travel for a long vacation.

My wife insisted on flying business class when we flew from San Francisco to Barcelona for a 12-night Mediterranean cruise. The logic was that we didn't want to be tired when we got there, so why not fly business class with the sleeper seats so we'd be rested when we arrived.

It did work, and we hit the ground running, so to speak. However, it set a precedent that's hard to break. We did it again a few years later when we flew from Houston-Newark-Barcelona for a 10-day Spain trip with a group. Only the Newark-Barcelona portion was in the sleeper seats, and it was only for 7-8 hours instead of 10-11 from San Francisco. :(

-B
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

Organic eggs laid by cage free chickens.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Barsoom wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:18 pm
Funny, this happened to me, too, but only when we travel for a long vacation.

My wife insisted on flying business class when we flew from San Francisco to Barcelona for a 12-night Mediterranean cruise. The logic was that we didn't want to be tired when we got there, so why not fly business class with the sleeper seats so we'd be rested when we arrived.

It did work, and we hit the ground running, so to speak. However, it set a precedent that's hard to break. We did it again a few years later when we flew from Houston-Newark-Barcelona for a 10-day Spain trip with a group. Only the Newark-Barcelona portion was in the sleeper seats, and it was only for 7-8 hours instead of 10-11 from San Francisco. :(

-B
Once you go business it is very hard to go back.

We now try to fly business international only with miles.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

bikechuck wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm Organic eggs laid by cage free chickens.
Why do you regret that?
alpenglow wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm A smaller lifestyle creep has been Scotch. At one point we were spending $80-$100 a bottle with and every now and then purchases getting close to $200. We have cut back to about $50 bottles and see no change in our pleasure from drinking them.
It is easy to get going with Scotch. There is so much to try. I had to catch myself before I really started "collecting". My go to is Springbank 10.
Ours is the $45 bottle of Glen Morangie Rubin. It is a 12 year Highland scotch finished off in a port cask.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Patio furniture. After years of non-use I considered it a big win when I got someone from Craig's list to pick it up from me for free.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:52 pm
bikechuck wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:51 pm Organic eggs laid by cage free chickens.
Why do you regret that?

Maybe because they found out what organic and cage-free actually means?...pretty much nothing.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

I don't regret buying better eggs for a second. I have a weird habit of finding and buying local eggs directly from small farms where ever I go and have developed a list of favorites. They all taste slightly different and blow store bought eggs out of the water.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Luckywon wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:03 pm Patio furniture. After years of non-use I considered it a big win when I got someone from Craig's list to pick it up from me for free.
Same with us. What a waste. I hate eating outside with bugs and sun glare. If only we had an attached screened porch. Then I think I'd use it.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Wrong thread.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

carol-brennan wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm House: Most people live in 3 or 4 rooms. I'd dare say that's all most of us need. Houses are money pits, even when they're in good shape.

I have to agree with you. We have a nice duplex condo unit built with "seniors" in mind - although it's two floors, all essential living can be comfortably done on the first (LR, dining room/area, kitchen, MBR & bath, den/office, laundry closet). There's a nice loft area and guest BR & bath on the 2nd floor. But we can go weeks ar a time without even going up the stairs and, when we do, it's mainly to find a book in a bookcase up there. I've often thought that we could live just fine on one floor.
Friar1610
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

randomguy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:08 pm

It is also easy to regret things after you have sucked all the enjoyment out of it. If you buy the sports car, you might regret it. If you don't buy the sports car, you might regret it more. You end up with regret either way.
There have been many times where I was about to buy something and I was thinking this same thing: "if I don't buy this, I'm going to regret it; however, if I buy it, I'm going to regret that." In those cases, I don't buy it. I figure it's better to have regret and money than just having regret.
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

You must have never heard of something called "Time Shares".
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

friar1610 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:24 pm
carol-brennan wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:13 pm House: Most people live in 3 or 4 rooms. I'd dare say that's all most of us need. Houses are money pits, even when they're in good shape.

I have to agree with you. We have a nice duplex condo unit built with "seniors" in mind - although it's two floors, all essential living can be comfortably done on the first (LR, dining room/area, kitchen, MBR & bath, den/office, laundry closet). There's a nice loft area and guest BR & bath on the 2nd floor. But we can go weeks ar a time without even going up the stairs and, when we do, it's mainly to find a book in a bookcase up there. I've often thought that we could live just fine on one floor.
+1 We have friends that just moved into a beautiful condo set up like yours in a 55+ gated community. They are paying less taxes w/ HOA than us and everything is taken care of for them. We're still in our 40's but it is something my wife and I will put serious consideration to in the future. I do all of the maintenance on the house and yard now. For what exactly? It's not like I sit in the front yard and look at my house. :?
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

dustinst22 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:37 pm
You must have never heard of something called "Time Shares".
I have a friend who has a number of time shares and she loves them. She’s a professional negotiator and I’m sure gets great deals on them.

I wouldn’t buy one myself but if no one liked them, no one would own them regardless of how tough they may be to get rid of.
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

I guess my joke comment didn't come across.
sambb

Post by sambb »

ive had some exotic cars, and they have been great - no regrets about any of them.. I regret buying new wheels for some of them, OEM is just fine for these sorts of cars. i also regret buying a medium range "road bike" for cycling - not that much better than a cheaper bike.
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

+1

I did this once out of necessity (only way to get out that day). I could never go back to being in economy for long international flights.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

I don’t regret the nice house.

The expensive eating out- I find more often then not I’m mad about what I got in return for dropping $300 on a dinner for two. It’s really hard to justify that expense.

I have mixed feeling about wine creep. Sometimes it’s nice to have an expensive bottle, but I’ve probably been going over the top lately.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

My kids 5-15%* of the time depending on the week :)

* may increase during teenage years
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

farnsy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am I buy myself a lot of toys that I don't use much and end up junking up my house. First example that comes to mind: my 3D printer and all the associated stuff.

When I had a smaller house and income I would think more carefully before buying stuff that I think *could* be a hobby, but isn't yet.
This is the thing I always regret, too. I’ll really get into something for a couple months and then it all just sits. Sometimes I’ll sell things, but sometimes I end up just throwing stuff away. I currently have a pile of stuff on my desk I’m trying to sell.
sambb

Post by sambb »

Theseus wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:47 pm
+1

I did this once out of necessity (only way to get out that day). I could never go back to being in economy for long international flights.
I will never go back to economy, but i regret not moving to business (or emirates first) sooner.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

dustinst22 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 pm I guess my joke comment didn't come across.
Got it. Since time shares are notorious for being awful so I thought there was some truth to the joke. In general, I would think the laws of supply and demand would play out.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

alpenglow wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 pm
I don't regret buying better eggs for a second. I have a weird habit of finding and buying local eggs directly from small farms where ever I go and have developed a list of favorites. They all taste slightly different and blow store bought eggs out of the water.
What about eggs from hens that listen to classical music all day long?

Do they taste better?

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2018/ ... d-whiskey/
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:05 pm
dustinst22 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 pm I guess my joke comment didn't come across.
Got it. Since time shares are notorious for being awful so I thought there was some truth to the joke. In general, I would think the laws of supply and demand would play out.
And sometimes an awful product remains in demand. Edward Jones? :oops:
sergio

Post by sergio »

We focus on the big stuff - buying a house that's well below that we could "theoretically" afford, owning only one car and driving it into the ground, saving thousands on taxes by maxing out our 401k and HSA contributions, and so on. This saves 10s of thousands of dollars a year. I'm not even going to bother worrying about my wife getting Starbucks a few times a week, the $20-30/week I spend on craft beer, and so on. This is pennies compared to the big ticket items, and really does make life better (much more of a "pick me up" than an expensive car, for example).

Post by 2015 »

When younger I much more than I could afford on things I shouldn't have but don't regret that because it got me on the road to financial independence. For over the past two decades, every purchase has been strategic so no regrets.
Davinci

Post by Davinci »

All the things bought in Amazon prime and subscriptions that were not really needed but great deals. :beer

Before cleaning up we had in the order of 50 Amazon subscriptions. :oops:

We have a lot great deals still in boxes, plenty of gifts and things to last years. :oops:
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.
mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 »

LiterallyIronic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:39 am Mortgage. Even thinking about the interest makes me irrationally upset. But, it's not just the interest - it's the size of the payment as well. Every time I go to pay the $825 PITI and an extra $225 to principal, it's super depressing. Before buying the house, my monthly rent was $400 (cold, dark basement at a below-market friends and family discount rate).
Talk to your lender if you can get the PMI off (if that's something you still have). We were able to get the PMI off with an on-site broker walk through opinion for 105$. Well worth it if that is the case.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

EnjoyIt wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:52 pm
Why do you regret that?

[I regret it because they cost nearly 15X more than other eggs. It also became a slippery slope and now my wife is not happy unless she is buying grocerys from Whole Foods or similar places. She also insists on buying meat from a local store owned by a farm family that charges significantly more than grocery store prices.

I am not at all sure that there are corresponding health benefits and our grocery bills are likely 50% more than those for an average couple.