Please share some lifestyle creep you regret.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Please share some lifestyle creep you regret.

Post by EnjoyIt »

I figured since we have a nice thread discussing lifestyle creep that we are happy with, I figure maybe we can discuss the opposite.

Please share any expenses that retrospectively you now regret.

I will share our current home. We upgraded in 2012 to a larger house with a pool. Although at first it was fun, now the pool is used only a handful of times a year and the larger house has higher maintence costs, property tax, and general upkeep expenses all to the tune of an extra $10k-13k a year. I can accept some of those costs, but the pool is just a massive waste and I very much regret it.

A smaller lifestyle creep has been Scotch. At one point we were spending $80-$100 a bottle with and every now and then purchases getting close to $200. We have cut back to about $50 bottles and see no change in our pleasure from drinking them.

Does anyone else have something they may want to share so that others can consider and maybe avoid it?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
SC Anteater

Re: Please share some lifestyle creep you regret.

Post by SC Anteater »

Now that the kids have gone off to college we've been eating out more, and it really adds up. I now have to rein it back but it's been so much fun going out to places we wouldn't want to have gone (mostly due to expense) with 4, rather than 2.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

A large house with 6 bedrooms. I never liked it, but my wife likes it.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

The dog? I love her but jeez it's not cheap.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

Unstable, erratic, contradictory, emotionally turbulent individuals. :oops:
I'd bet we can all say something similar.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

Spouse
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

pdavi21 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:53 amSpouse
You were saying?
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

mega317 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 pm The dog? I love her but jeez it's not cheap.
+1
I waited until I was financially secure before getting the dog but I still regret it. While she brings tons of joy to our household it's still a hassle with young kids.
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

I buy new jeans, even though the hole in the right knee (I kneel on it while gardening) isn't even 4" in diameter. I'd like to find some new jeans that already have a patch sewn on the right knee. Now if I could wear the pants backwards, they would last twice as long. :D

Before lifestyle creep, I would have let the hole get bigger until the right pant leg fell off, then I would cut off the left pant leg to match and have a pair of shorts.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
kacang

Post by kacang »

I'm of two minds about my Miata. It has lousy gas mileage, not practical, is an extraneous 4th car. Generally not a very boglehead-ish thing.

But it is also my guilty pleasure, absolutely a blast driving it top down. lol, maybe it belongs to the other thread.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Housekeeper 2x week. She's now doing one day of work in 2 days but i can't bring myself to fire her or cut back her hours. Wish I had stayed at 1 day/week.

Eating out at pricey restaurants. I find I enjoy medium price restaurants just as much, especially if they are Asian. I have cut back tremendously on fine dining, and wish I had done so sooner.

Buying lots of expensive clothes. What a huge waste of money. Must have been thrown out. They were a waste of space as well.

Paying a pest control company to spray monthly. Waste of money. Fired them and I do it myself now.
Glasgow

Post by Glasgow »

Camera - Use occasionally for family portrait. Too heavy to lug around. Still love superb quality colors and details of photos produced by this camera and selected lens for certain type of shots
Motorcycle - Wife always discourages me to ride although I still like to on countryside road for fresh air and nice scenic ride. I occasionally ride a few weekends for a few hours from spring to end of summer. Insurance and registration are about few hundred $/yr.
Craftsman drawers - It doesn't keep as much stuff as I'd like to. It takes space in garage.
BMWs 4 in my life time - Funs die off after a couple of years. The worst is 550i - it leaks wherever there's silicone gasket (alternator gasket, vacuum pump, drain lug nut, oil pressure sensor, valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, etc.) I took me close to a week to personally fix all those leak issues except valve cover gaskets which I didn't do it right (too tight of the space to access nut, etc.) and it leaked. Got towed to my brother-in-law's shop and fixed it for $1k - parts alone was about $3-400.
Stereo amplifier- Rarely use nowadays. Use the amp and speakers for my keyboard.
Tempurpedic Simplicity - Its foundation make creaky sound whenever I toss. On my priority list to fix it.
msk

Post by msk »

Getting an ultra luxe car just because I can afford it. At a certain price point a fancy car becomes more of a burden on your anxieties, rather than a pleasure to use. Just because a Rolls Royce Phantom at $500k is under 6 months of your income (my yardstick for car affordability during my entire working life) does not mean you'll enjoy it more than a $100k Lexus. Six months served as a good yardstick while building a family/career/NW but hopefully one day that yardstick sends you into the silly territory of $100+k cars. Tread carefully as your NW grows.
Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge »

I don't super regret it, but I bought a new car and ignored the rules of thumb about affordability. Its a great ride and what I need for where I live, but the payment is 550/mo vs what I was paying @ 171/mo, plus added excise tax etc. Ties up most of anything extra after maxing out TA accounts. So, I figured I can do whatever I want as long as I can max out my accounts.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:07 am
mega317 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 pm The dog? I love her but jeez it's not cheap.
+1
I waited until I was financially secure before getting the dog but I still regret it. While she brings tons of joy to our household it's still a hassle with young kids.
I broke down and allowed my spouse and kids to get 2 dogs after being hounded (no pun intended) for 5 years about them wanting dogs and have never stopped regretting it. Its not the cost - its the tie down. Its not easy taking off for a weekend any longer. In the long run it may have actually saved us money however - while the dogs cost money to maintain (especially the one that is now diabetic) we don't vacation as much as we'd like because of them.
Top99%

Post by Top99% »

For us it was house size and expense creep. Our first house was 1760 SF and after 3 moves we went to 2600 SF then 3670 SF then down to 2400 SF and finally back to the size of our first house. I don't even like to think about the money we burned on that. Wall beds and folding desks are a great way to multi-purpose rooms. Wish we had thought of that earlier.
Adapt or perish
anil686

Post by anil686 »

A few things:

The pool - was not a fan of it before and my feelings have been solidified as it is a money pit (pool)

Housekeeper - I like having them come but I feel that it has prevented life lessons as easily taught to kids. They will (un)successfully leave my home never learning how to scrub a toilet unless we teach them on relatively clean toilets.

Sbux for my spouse. I don’t really like anything they make there including regular drip coffee. I know there is another thread on this, but I love my Jura coffee machine I have at home (lifestyle creep that I love) which makes me a perfect cup of coffee every morning for only $999 - if it works for the rest of my life - it will be probably the best purchase I ever made. It has made it 5 years now and if it even goes for 5 more I will consider it a top 5 purchase in my life. So much joy from a great cup of coffee:)
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I regret subscribing to cable/satellite TV, we wasted thousands on it until 2010 when we cut the cord. Now I have nothing to show for it. I’d like to have that time back too.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

DaftInvestor wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:41 am Its not the cost - its the tie down. Its not easy taking off for a weekend any longer.
This is where friends and neighbors come in handy. I was gone for over 30 days on a trip. Because I had "banked" taking care of the dogs of neighbors for free, I was able to collect free dog sitting for the entire time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

How about some I don't regret? I'm a skinflint by nature, saving every cent, and quite honestly that school of thought can be problematic for relationships. I finally matured at around 40, defined my financial goals clearly, met each of those. Knowing that I was secure in my plan allowed me to ease up on the penny pinching, let my wife have nicer things(yeah, stuff), take trips, and give something to those in need. So I went from trying to save every cent to defining the goal, addressing the goals, and enjoying what was left over. So outwardly, our lifestyle has crept tremendously, but not at the expense of our goals, 529s, 401ks, emergency, etc, etc. My regret is not letting it creep sooner!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

This is really difficult because I literally go years without buying anything new for myself that isn't a verifiable need. My wife did buy me a hobby-level RC rock crawling truck for my last birthday after I went a few times with a friend and had some fun (and I am a major gearhead who refuses to buy a 2nd car, let alone a fun one). My kids and I go to the park maybe once a week to drive it, but IMO it was more fun learning about than actually playing with. The year before that she bought me an XBOX; it was the first video game system I've ever owned, and will be the last. I've played it a handful of times in almost 3yrs and it hasn't so much as been turned on in probably a year.

If I may answer for my wife: pretty much every gadget one of her friends got and then she just had to have. Off the top of my head: GPS watch, point-and-shoot camera, smartwatch, and one of the social media hyped mattresses. Of those 4 items, we only still own the mattress (the other three were eventually given away almost brand new) and it doesn't help us sleep any better than the perfectly fine mattress we replaced.

We also buy annual passes to a series of museums that are close by (natural history museum, museum of natural curiosity, petting zoo). It was really fun the first 2yrs and we visited almost weekly, but our pass is about to expire and I think we went about 3 times. Not going to re-up a 4th time.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Our pool used to be a regret. However, for ~$2000 I turned that "lemon" into "lemonade" by adding a small faux stone waterfall in one corner, providing a relaxing view and sound, even though we're rarely in the pool. For anybody interested, we used Rico Rock (https://ricorock.com/)
Last edited by sleepysurf on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
dallasjava

Post by dallasjava »

We bought and later sold a RV. I did a ton of research before buying, but the amount of money involved is astronomical.
Last edited by dallasjava on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarthEnol

Post by DarthEnol »

kacang wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:44 am I'm of two minds about my Miata. It has lousy gas mileage, not practical, is an extraneous 4th car. Generally not a very boglehead-ish thing.

But it is also my guilty pleasure, absolutely a blast driving it top down. lol, maybe it belongs to the other thread.
+1 for a Miata. I bought a ‘96 (last year with the pop up headlights). It was fun, but living in New England cuts down on the amount of available fun time.

Sold it after ~a year.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Hot tub (used it for about a year...gave it away years later.)
cwademba

Post by cwademba »

My biggest lifestyle creep was owning a bass boat and fishing tournaments for 10 plus years. I made a lot of memories fishing with family and friends, but when I run the numbers of boat payments, tournament fees, equipment, and gas, I figure it cost me a couple hundred thousand. Especially today, as we are close to moving in to a house and think about payments vs. not owning a boat for a decade.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Stuff I think I need (mainly electronic) but don't use - usually ordered from Amazon:

+-/$175 electric snow blower and a 100 foot extension cord. Its a total waste of money as it is really a toy. So I am going to give it to my church rummage sale.

Cheap MP3 player I thought I'd use at my gym. It is total junk and will be scrapped.

$600 laptop I bought on Amazon for Skype to maybe try Italki. (I've already got three and use my Chromebook most of the time). But I'm still taking Spanish at a community college.

$3,000 Memory Foam bed I bought a few years ago. It doesn't work well on raising the head/footrest. I decided that I only need one bedroom so the Salvation Army is picking it up soon.

$700 chest of drawers . I do not need as the bedroom will become an exercise room.

+$2,000 exercise devices I bought for my basement. I did not have enough head clearance for them so 1-800-I have junk picked them up - had to pay for that.

Now I'm considering getting another smaller treadmill and maybe rowing machine for the former bedroom - maybe ..
Last edited by Lynette on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Expensive theater and opera tickets. Expensive Madonna tickets. Never again.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Dale_G wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:34 am I buy new jeans, even though the hole in the right knee (I kneel on it while gardening) isn't even 4" in diameter. I'd like to find some new jeans that already have a patch sewn on the right knee. Now if I could wear the pants backwards, they would last twice as long. :D
When I was a kid whenever we got new blue jeans my mom would put iron on patches on the inside of the jeans at the knees before we started wearing them. I had not thought about that for years and I just checked and they still make the iron on patches.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3BKFG3/re ... 60191&sr=1
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I usually regret anything I buy that is a multiple of something I already have. Even if it is a "super deal".

I love biking. Any bike beyond 1 I end up regretting because I can't use the multiples enough. I currently have 3 bikes. A $15 Trek and a $10 Wheeler (Polish). I stupidly can't pass up nice bikes for almost zero. But then, they take up space and I can't get them enough miles.

It certainly isn't the $10 or $15. It is they crowd your mental space and time. I (we?) are hard wired to love "great deals" even if we don't need the stuff.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
happymob

Post by happymob »

EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm A smaller lifestyle creep has been Scotch. At one point we were spending $80-$100 a bottle with and every now and then purchases getting close to $200. We have cut back to about $50 bottles and see no change in our pleasure from drinking them.
Agree with this as I would buy expensive (and mostly really good - the best scotch I bought was in airports) bottles at duty free stores when I was leaving Europe, but I'm a recovering alcoholic now, so this regret is painful in other ways.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:14 amI (we?) are hard wired to love "great deals" even if we don't need the stuff.
My spouse does that with fresh strawberries. We never ever eat them, so I should just toss them in the compost pile the day they are brought home fresh.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MnD

Post by MnD »

Small infrequently used gas engine things for the property which are a maintenance and aggravation headache.
I've replaced most with electric versions now, and if I really need a gas-powered whatever I'll rent it for a day.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Couldn’t do without mine but boarding at $60/night is painful on long trips away. Makes me question having several pups.
PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew »

Expensive camera lenses — I’ve found that I’m happy and well-engaged using my 35mm lens and don’t use the other focal lengths I purchased.

Andy.
LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic »

Mortgage. Even thinking about the interest makes me irrationally upset. But, it's not just the interest - it's the size of the payment as well. Every time I go to pay the $825 PITI and an extra $225 to principal, it's super depressing. Before buying the house, my monthly rent was $400 (cold, dark basement at a below-market friends and family discount rate).
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

msk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:23 am Getting an ultra luxe car just because I can afford it. At a certain price point a fancy car becomes more of a burden on your anxieties, rather than a pleasure to use. Just because a Rolls Royce Phantom at $500k is under 6 months of your income (my yardstick for car affordability during my entire working life) does not mean you'll enjoy it more than a $100k Lexus. Six months served as a good yardstick while building a family/career/NW but hopefully one day that yardstick sends you into the silly territory of $100+k cars. Tread carefully as your NW grows.
Is that 6 months of PRETAX income or after tax? Is that amount per car or total of all vehicle value? Always wanted to understand this rule.

If I make 100k pre tax, can I buy a 50k car for me AND my wife? Do I drive two 25k cars? More curious than anything and I know rules are only guidelines so to be taken with a grain of salt.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Watty wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 am
Dale_G wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:34 am I buy new jeans, even though the hole in the right knee (I kneel on it while gardening) isn't even 4" in diameter. I'd like to find some new jeans that already have a patch sewn on the right knee. Now if I could wear the pants backwards, they would last twice as long. :D
When I was a kid whenever we got new blue jeans my mom would put iron on patches on the inside of the jeans at the knees before we started wearing them. I had not thought about that for years and I just checked and they still make the iron on patches.

Same here.
farnsy

Post by farnsy »

I buy myself a lot of toys that I don't use much and end up junking up my house. First example that comes to mind: my 3D printer and all the associated stuff.

When I had a smaller house and income I would think more carefully before buying stuff that I think *could* be a hobby, but isn't yet.
Last edited by farnsy on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

happymob wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 am
EnjoyIt wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm A smaller lifestyle creep has been Scotch. At one point we were spending $80-$100 a bottle with and every now and then purchases getting close to $200. We have cut back to about $50 bottles and see no change in our pleasure from drinking them.
Agree with this as I would buy expensive (and mostly really good - the best scotch I bought was in airports) bottles at duty free stores when I was leaving Europe, but I'm a recovering alcoholic now, so this regret is painful in other ways.
Congratulations on your recovering status.
vveat

Post by vveat »

Kids sports and extracurriculars. Added up to ~$5k a year for 2 elementary school kids, and made our schedule hell.
So we are now testing a year with minimal level of activities. I guess we'll find out if it was a true regret.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Good thread :)

I enjoy not having to think before buying smaller < $100 purchases anymore, but I find from that and having Amazon Prime I buy a lot more stuff that I don't need or wind up not using.

I bought an inflatable kayak and have only used it once.

And possibly toys for young kids. We're given a bunch so don't buy a lot of toys, but they're really excited for a day or two and then tend to not be used for a while

I'm not sure I would consider that lifestyle creep though because they're just one time purchases. I don't think I regret spending more than we used to though. It's not drastically more, but has gone up ~25%
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bligh

Post by bligh »

Luckywon wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:52 am Eating out at pricey restaurants. I find I enjoy medium price restaurants just as much, especially if they are Asian. I have cut back tremendously on fine dining, and wish I had done so sooner.

Buying lots of expensive clothes. What a huge waste of money. Must have been thrown out. They were a waste of space as well.
While I don't regret the fine dining I have done, I now mostly eat at more cheap/mid priced restaurants when I go out. So in a sense, I have shifted my spending away from those.

I absolutely regret the expensive clothes I purchased. I went through a phase where I bought brand name clothes .. In particular I have a set of $200 to $250 hoodies. I wear them now that I own them, but obviously I regret the decision.

Also my collection of 5 Swiss watches (in the $2-$9K range). Yes I think they look good, but in the end it is just jewelry. Hopefully they still have some decent resale value though I don't plan on selling them anytime soon.

I am glad I grew out of that phase. Now I just wear my Apple watch.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Somebody here once described a category of art as "vacation art"--it's the stuff you buy while you're on vacation, because you're having such a great time and the art is attractive and the opportunity is fleeting, but ultimately it doesn't bring you the same joy at home as a considered purchase. Especially if you include art fairs in vacation, I definitely have some vacation art that I'm only lukewarm about now.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

Home. Although modest by most people’s standards, way too big for us. Couldn’t be helped (we thought) because in neighborhood and community we chose to live in, limited choices so had to take bigger to get other things we wanted. If I were to do over it, I wouldn’t be so picky about location. Lots of good places to live which would have cost less and not decreased quality of life significantly. All that extra maintenance and bills were not worth it. Stayed too long because well, moving is a hassle.

Home as investment is a bill of goods for most middle class people (overrated). When I look at people I know who haven’t funded their retirement adequately, I see bathrooms and kitchens redone over and over again. And cars. My god, the money spent on those two items invested over decades would be a tidy sum. We never fell into that trap. Remodeled nothing and when we sold, it was actually better because retro! Sold for asking price in 5 days.

A bad or idiosyncratic remodel is about as bad it gets the average Joe if he stays long enough. Usually requires a loan, plus opportunity cost, plus loss of value at home sale on the back end (usually starts to look dated at year 10).
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Let me second the dog purchase. I regret the second dog. One was just fine. Having two has made life far more difficult and more expensive. It is harder to find sitters and also more difficult to take two dogs with you when car traveling. Never again.

What I also find interesting is some of the items people list as regrets, others list as positives in the "what lifestyle creep you are happy about thread."

[Distracting animated GIF removed by admin LadyGeek. Here's the link: https://media1.tenor.com/images/9eb61b7 ... d=10055367 ]
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
A440

Post by A440 »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 am
Watty wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 am

Same here.
Now people pay extra for the holes in the jeans. Maybe they should be worn to church because they're "hole(y)". :mrgreen:
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Afty

Post by Afty »

We hired a nanny when our second child was born. I'm not sure I would say I regret it, but it certainly was not the panacea we expected. Finding and hiring someone was difficult, then it was difficult for her to work as many hours as we needed. We hadn't considered the fact that we were now her boss and had to work out things like a sick/vacation policy, giving feedback, etc. We had to scramble when she was unable to work for one reason or another. On top of all that, it was absurdly expensive when you try to do everything aboveboard, including paying overtime.
dgm

Post by dgm »

staying on the expensive verizon plan that we switched to when we lived in a apartment w/ poor reception but never switched out afterwards because we were afraid of the experience not being as good (even though objectively our friends have no problems on cheaper networks)

its been many many years and thousands of dollars wasted.

---------------

trying to cut down on eating out and buying coffee/drinks on the go