12 Person Family Getaway: Keys, Bahamas, Hawaii?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IPA

12 Person Family Getaway: Keys, Bahamas, Hawaii?

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:58 pm

If anyone has any suggestions on a beach rental for a large group, we are searching. It does not necessarily have to be the areas listed in the title. The majority of the group is located in SE US.

The group consists of 7 adults, four children and one infant. We would prefer a beachfront two-cottage estate. This will be a week or two in late June/early July. The keys are ideal because the bulk of the group would not have to fly. We've been perusing VRBO for the past month and have a few in mind, but if anyone has experience in the areas, it would be great help.

If there are any ideas or previous fun by anyone, please share!

Conch55

Re: 12 Person Family Getaway: Keys, Bahamas, Hawaii?

Post by Conch55 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:04 pm

The Outer Banks of NC? The Corolla or Duck area has many large houses that accommodate 12 although I'm not aware of two house compounds for rent.

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm

An alternative consideration is an Alaska Cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver.
This hands down our best multigenerational trip- everyone gets together for dinner and you have time on your own, individuals can elect or skip port excursions and accommodations are handled. We liked it so much we did it twice.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:22 pm

WWJBDo wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:09 pm
An alternative consideration is an Alaska Cruise out of Seattle or Vancouver.
This hands down our best multigenerational trip- everyone gets together for dinner and you have time on your own, individuals can elect or skip port excursions and accommodations are handled. We liked it so much we did it twice.
For this group, I would think a cruise leaving from say Miami would be more plausible.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm

IPA wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:58 pm
The majority of the group is located in SE US.

The group consists of 7 adults, four children and one infant. We would prefer a beachfront two-cottage estate. This will be a week or two in late June/early July. The keys are ideal because the bulk of the group would not have to fly. We've been perusing VRBO for the past month and have a few in mind, but if anyone has experience in the areas, it would be great help.

I think you should put more thought into your needs & priorities before soliciting suggestions. Specifically...
- How much are you wanting to spend?
- How much travel time/hassle/expense to do you want to endure?
- What activities are you looking to do, if any, besides hanging out on the beach?

If the Keys would be ideal due to not having to fly with such a large group (and 5 kids), then why are you even considering Hawaii?
And how are the Keys more ideal than any other beachy area in the SE US...Outer Banks, Hilton Head, Charleston, Savannah, ect, ect.

All of those places offer a near endless supply of beachfront houses that can accommodate your group, and would be much easier to get to.
And are you aware that there are very few true beaches in the Keys?

Topic Author
IPA

Post by IPA » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:20 pm

researcher wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm
IPA wrote:

I think you should put more thought into your needs & priorities before soliciting suggestions. Specifically...
- What activities are you looking to do, if any, besides hanging out on the beach?

If the Keys would be ideal due to not having to fly with such a large group (and 5 kids), then why are you even considering Hawaii?
And how are the Keys more ideal than any other beachy area in the SE US...Outer Banks, Hilton Head, Charleston, Savannah, ect, ect.

All of those places offer a near endless supply of beachfront houses that can accommodate your group, and would be much easier to get to.
Thank you for the replies.

We are looking to keep the total costs under $20k. We were recommended Hawaii, but we may save that for a winter excursion. Other than swimming, I can envision biking, driving/touring, boating, snorkeling, etc.

I believe there is desire for a more tropical destination, but the level of hassle (as you mention) with flying that group is an additional concern. It would also reduce the funds to spend on the lodging. Privacy is a major concern.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:44 pm

IPA wrote:
This will be a week or two in late June/early July.
That would be getting into the 4th of July holiday so I would expect larger than average crowds so you might want to make your reservations soon.

I have not there in the summer but the Keys might be pretty hot and that is starting to get into hurricane season. The beaches in the Keys are pretty limited too. I am in Atlanta and it take a surprisingly long time to drive down that far so it is not exactly a convenient location. That does not sound like an ideal choice to me.

I would add the closer places like the Carolina or Georgia coasts to your list.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Tranquility Bay in Marathon Key.

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 pm

I would recommend SW Florida from Fort Myers to Marco Island. As winter is their high season summer offers great rates on houses and condos. Much better beaches than the Keys and lower cost. Not as much night life but still plenty to do.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Conch55 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:04 pm
The Outer Banks of NC? The Corolla or Duck area has many large houses that accommodate 12 although I'm not aware of two house compounds for rent.
I have no wish to discourage folks from going to the Outer Banks. (Been vacationing there for 30+ years.) Water may be a tad chilly at that time of the year depending on wind direction. Beaches may have taken a hit during winter storms. A number of homes in Pine Island - between Duck and Corolla - are large enough for your crew, are on the beach and have pools. Night life is fairly tame. No near airports for commercial planes. Although, there may be a private grass runway across the road from Pine Island that might handle a small private plane (never checked it out) or at Kitty Hawk.

Charleston and / or North Charleston, SC supposedly have wider / better beaches (Golden Strand?) per my DW.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 pm

We went to St. Simons Island, Georgia 2 years ago and had a wonderful time. We rented a beautiful home, not on the beach but an easy walk. We had 3 generations with us a total of 15 people. Our home had an elevator for my 82 year old mom. There were 7 bedrooms and the kitchen was AWESOME, 3 stories with a rooftop deck. (we could see the ocean). We flew into Jacksonville FL and rented a car and drove. I would LOVE to return but we have a rule of never returning to the same place. If you want info on the house we rented just PM me!

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:20 pm

IPA wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:20 pm
researcher wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm
IPA wrote:

Thank you for the replies.

We are looking to keep the total costs under $20k. We were recommended Hawaii, but we may save that for a winter excursion. Other than swimming, I can envision biking, driving/touring, boating, snorkeling, etc.

I believe there is desire for a more tropical destination, but the level of hassle (as you mention) with flying that group is an additional concern. It would also reduce the funds to spend on the lodging. Privacy is a major concern.
If by privacy concerns, you mean that members of the group will have some privacy from each other (as opposed to the group being isolated from outsiders) then a Caribbean cruise put of Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami is worth considering. You can probably cruise for $1000 each, including room, board, and some port excursions.