Sharing Elementary Class Photos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
runner9

Sharing Elementary Class Photos

Post by runner9 »

I'm a teacher in an urban district. As part of a move to a new building there's a box of photos just sitting in a storage room. It has 4x6 class photos for each class for several years in the 1970s, among other photos. I'm sure people in these photos would be interested.

I'm considering asking my administration if I can bring them home and scan then, then return them. But what would I do with them? I could get word out that they are online on Facebook but what site (free?) would be good to store them on?

I want to think this through before committing to it.

Thanks!
livesoft

Re: Sharing Elementary Class Photos

Post by livesoft »

There are privacy laws in many places that might prevent you from doing that without permission from everyone in the photo(s). Plus the original photographer should get compensation.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
celia

Post by celia »

Talk to your principal to see what the district policy is.

There might be "invasion of privacy" issues, too (especially for minors). I would not want someone to post my childhood photos with my name associated with them.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Options and thoughts.
You do not have property and model releases from each person in the photos, as well as for the photos (as property) themselves by whomever owned and shot them. Thus, you have no "rights" to do anything with them let alone post in public, especially if for earnings.
You could publish them as "editorial", look up how to do that, as long as no funds, etc, are received for that. But, it's hard to protect the use of those images down the line, should the images be copied online and so forth. Especially with modern technology.
Best suggestion is to hand them over to the School District or higher school authority that might be able to insert in online school "archives" for access to various graduating classes, alumni, etc. IE: graduation yearbooks.
Even with the best of intention, pass them along to higher authority.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Post by 2015 »

In my life I've never been interested in my photos, and would be unhappy if anyone chose to unilaterally post them somewhere. I've always taken what I thought were unbelievably bad pictures and warn anyone asking for ID if they look too long at it they'll turn to stone.
Topic Author
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Wow.

Not to change opinions, but this would not be for any money. Also, multiple webpages say that yearbooks before 1977 without a stated copyright do not hold a copyright.

Not trying to change opinions, we'll just put the dusty box back on the shelf.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Once you're certain that you're not violating policies (school, privacy, etc) - consider locating your local historical society, possibly genealogy society.

Several years ago, I visited the historical society in the Chicago suburb where my father grew up. They requested copies of one of his elementary classes (the only one that I had) as well as the boy scout troop photos. All from the '30s and '40s.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

runner9 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:03 pm Wow.

Not to change opinions, but this would not be for any money. Also, multiple webpages say that yearbooks before 1977 without a stated copyright do not hold a copyright.

Not trying to change opinions, we'll just put the dusty box back on the shelf.
People post elementary class photos all the time. I am sure there is already a home page for your school on facebook. No need for a signed release or payment to photographer.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 »

Maybe hand the box to the school districts administrative office and they can determine what steps to take?

Post by 123 »

cashheavy18 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:21 pm Maybe hand the box to the school districts administrative office and they can determine what steps to take?
+1 You're an employee and you found the items on the employer's premises. Just hand them over to your superior (principal) and don't be concerned about it further. They will very likely be trashed. They are likely photo's that were returned because the student parent's choose not to purchase them. Sometimes we can't fix everything that might need fixing.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

celia wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:15 pm Talk to your principal to see what the district policy is.

There might be "invasion of privacy" issues, too (especially for minors). I would not want someone to post my childhood photos with my name associated with them.
+1

no matter how well intentioned, this has the potential to turn out bad on many levels.

More I think about this, this question is a bit bizarre (to me). :confused
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

definitely aversions on this forum.

i'm trying to figure out the copyright concerns. i would guess very, very, very low risk. and the worry to have to compensate the photographer for photos from the 1970's..... i'm thinking if that is a worry, well, geez.

then invasion of privacy was risen up. i hope my fb friends are aware of this cause of action, sounds like they may be out their life savings for posting our 8th grade pic on fb.

heck, if there was a fb page for the school that had closed membership (eg you have to request to be part of the group), that seems like a great place to post, do it if you feel like it.

sometimes practical situations get drowned by paranoia.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Dead people don't have privacy rights, esp if it is not embarrassing.

https://people.howstuffworks.com/lose-r ... u-die1.htm
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

People post these all the time on fb. All the time.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

retire2022 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:15 pm Dead people don't have privacy rights, esp if it is not embarrassing.

Um. Do you really believe people in school from the 1970’s are dead? Some are. But I am not.
Watty

Post by Watty »

runner9 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:07 pm It has 4x6 class photos for each class for several years in the 1970s, among other photos.
But what would I do with them?
If this was a high school then some of those classes may have class reunions that are coming up.

You might see if it is OK to pass these on to group that is organizing the reunions and let them figure out what to do with them.

You might also see if the school library has any of the yearbooks from those classes. It could be that the photos are already in the yearbook so they may not worth doing anything with.

A local library or historical society might be also be willing to take them.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dottie57 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 pm
retire2022 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:15 pm Dead people don't have privacy rights, esp if it is not embarrassing.

Um. Do you really believe people in school from the 1970’s are dead? Some are. But I am not.
Funny one :D
From the 50's.
Also still here.
Barely. :shock:
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:44 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Funny one :D
From the 50's.
Also still here.
Barely. :shock:
I'll check back in the morning :sharebeer
msk

Post by msk »

Awful lot of paranoia here! Personally I would LOVE to have my school photos and they may be posted to the wider public, but perhaps there are a very few people who are somehow shy? Why? You were much better looking then... OK, I think it's fine to post them on a private group, Yahoo Group, FaceBook, etc. that is restricted and has members who had connections with the school. I belong to one such group and everyone seems to relish digging up and posting photos from the 1950s and 60s, and we all encourage such postings. Just scan the photos and then see if such a group exists already. If not, just start one.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

When those pictures were taken, especially the group class picture, the parents may have signed a release stating the usual- the pictures may be used for publicity, school events etc... I'm fairly certain my parents did for us and I know I did for our kids. Check with the school district if any record of the photographers contract/ releases exist.
muddlehead

Post by muddlehead »

Wow. Is there some crazy in this thread, or what? Good golly folks. Totally post them wherever you want. Next.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:13 pm There are privacy laws in many places that might prevent you from doing that without permission from everyone in the photo(s). Plus the original photographer should get compensation.
Is that true? If someone takes a pic of you and posts on facebook do you give authorization before it is tagged with your name? How about a vacation pic with some random guy eating a hot dog in the background do folks try to find the person before posting in online? How about reality t.v. where folks are interacting with folks on the beach do each of them give authorization before is aired on tv?

Now if the pics are copyrighted I am sure they are not allowed to be released with authorization or attempt made.

Honestly, I would just post the pics. What is the worst that happens. Folks watch too much CSi and Law and Order. The worst that happens is you get a stern letter from a lawyer to cease and desist. You just drop it then. Trust me there is NO money in copyright enfringement on some pics taken 25 years ago (unless from someone famous) for a lawyer to want to spend anytime suing over.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Jeeze some people here must not be able to use a bathroom without talking to their lawyer first.

Post the pics. Some photographer from the 70's isn't going to send you a Cease and Desist and if they do comply with it. Simple as that
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

staythecourse wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:28 pm
livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:13 pm There are privacy laws in many places that might prevent you from doing that without permission from everyone in the photo(s). Plus the original photographer should get compensation.
Is that true? If someone takes a pic of you and posts on facebook do you give authorization before it is tagged with your name?
I explicitly tell friends and relatives that they do not have my permission to post photos of me online anywhere. My wife made her sister take down a picture of our new baby from facebook.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:50 pm
Is that true? If someone takes a pic of you and posts on facebook do you give authorization before it is tagged with your name?
I explicitly tell friends and relatives that they do not have my permission to post photos of me online anywhere. My wife made her sister take down a picture of our new baby from facebook.
Question is NOT do folks do it. The question is what is the legality? Tagging you is one thing, but what about if you are in the background. I'm not a lawyer, but don't think there is any legal recourse. My experience would suggest if the picture is done in a public place where one does not expect/ assume privacy then it is legal. Do you think celebrities would allow any pictures when they are walking outside without makeup if they had a legal basis?

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

most people have facebook groups for their town, and then use that for class reunions, some even have sub facebook groups for each year reunion, so there is a I am from XXXX town in YY state group, then they have XXX, YY class of 19XX facebook groups. I would search for those.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:50 pm
I can't stand it when people post my picture, or worse, my daughter's picture, on FB. I have to constantly tell them to remove it and untag me.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

msk wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:40 am Awful lot of paranoia here!
muddlehead wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:20 pm Wow. Is there some crazy in this thread, or what? Good golly folks. Totally post them wherever you want. Next.
You're completely out of touch with data privacy laws. OP could lose his license for posting such photos publicly, not to mention potentially violating FERPA.

Also, that he'd be taking home photos of minors and scanning them onto a personal device, no matter how well intentioned, has the potential to attract legal trouble. This is the day and age we live in.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:37 pm Jeeze some people here must not be able to use a bathroom without talking to their lawyer first.

Post the pics. Some photographer from the 70's isn't going to send you a Cease and Desist and if they do comply with it. Simple as that
+1,000,000,000

OMG........I guess there are still a few folks living in caves and texting with smoke signals............. 8-)
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

fishandgolf wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:15 pm
barnaclebob wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:37 pm Jeeze some people here must not be able to use a bathroom without talking to their lawyer first.

+1,000,000,000

OMG........I guess there are still a few folks living in caves and texting with smoke signals............. 8-)
Mostly a bunch of hot air in this thread from arm chair lawyers. Haven't seen anyone post any actual laws, just a bunch of blah blah blah.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Nate79 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:26 pm

+1,000,000,000

Mostly a bunch of hot air in this thread from arm chair lawyers. Haven't seen anyone post any actual laws, just a bunch of blah blah blah.
you clearly haven't read this thread that closely.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

F150HD wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:33 pm
Nate79 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:26 pm

+1,000,000,000

you clearly haven't read this thread that closely.
Feel free to post direct links to laws you think would be broken including legal opinions and case law to support your opinion.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

Can you scan photos and put it on the schools webpage under a password protected page? Find a FB page of the elementary school to alert those that might be interested? Have them email you to the school for the password.
Our preschool teachers did that. Posted photos of the kids in the classroom and on field trips. We got instructions and a password to download the photos.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Nate79 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 pm Feel free to post direct links to laws you think would be broken including legal opinions and case law to support your opinion.
if you are not aware of current data privacy laws then you need to go look up the info yourself, you cant expect someone to do it for you. FERPA has already been mentioned, but you somehow missed that in your 'haste' to be correct in your opinions.

Moving on.

Good luck to the OP.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

I know nothing of legal implications of posting photos online without permission, but ... is it kind to do so? Is it ethical? The fact that many people post unauthorized photos online does not make it ethical or kind to do so. In the 70s, no one had an expectation that their photo could appear in cyberspace, so is it kind or ethical to publish them that way with no authorization?

Photos I see on blogs, Twitter, etc, have faces pixelated, or blurred. Usually the subject is shown in full, and the faces minors and bystanders are blocked out. This is how people post photos without getting releases from the twenty people in the crowd on the beach.

I'd follow the advice previously given to turn the photos over to your boss, or perhaps just dump them into the dumpster. You can't save everything. Otherwise, the United States would sink into the ocean under the weight of accumulated back issues of National Geographic :D.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

F150HD wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 pm
Nate79 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:47 pm Feel free to post direct links to laws you think would be broken including legal opinions and case law to support your opinion.
if you are not aware of current data privacy laws then you need to go look up the info yourself, you cant expect someone to do it for you. FERPA has already been mentioned, but you somehow missed that in your 'haste' to be correct in your opinions.

Moving on.

Good luck to the OP.
What part of FERPA applies in this case? I can't find anything even close to relevant so you must have some specific details to share.

Which specific law (Federal, State?) are you referring to that applies in the case of a photo taken many many and posted online?

I saw your post which gave zero relevant information to anything specific.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

runner9 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:07 pm I'm a teacher in an urban district. As part of a move to a new building there's a box of photos just sitting in a storage room. It has 4x6 class photos for each class for several years in the 1970s, among other photos. I'm sure people in these photos would be interested.

I'm considering asking my administration if I can bring them home and scan then, then return them. But what would I do with them? I could get word out that they are online on Facebook but what site (free?) would be good to store them on?

I want to think this through before committing to it.

Thanks!
1. Good intentions are commendable.
2. To be absolutely certain, Seek legal counsel first if pursuing yourself.
3. Otherwise, pass them on to the school (up the chain).
4. If you publish on your own, likely nothing will happen. But, it's that .00001% that can be damaging or certainly a hassle.
GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

This is right up there with "you can't teach about religion in public schools". Actually, you can. And should.

The Department of ED has a FAQ on the use of pictures: https://studentprivacy.ed.gov/faq/faqs- ... nder-ferpa

Unless the class photo was used as part of a disciplinary action, it would not seem to meet the tests specified for determining if it is an "educational record":
The educational agency or institution uses the photo or video for disciplinary action (or other official purposes) involving the student (including the victim of any such disciplinary incident);
The photo or video contains a depiction of an activity:
that resulted in an educational agency or institution’s use of the photo or video for disciplinary action (or other official purposes) involving a student (or, if disciplinary action is pending or has not yet been taken, that would reasonably result in use of the photo or video for disciplinary action involving a student);
that shows a student in violation of local, state, or federal law;
that shows a student getting injured, attacked, victimized, ill, or having a health emergency;
The person or entity taking the photo or video intends to make a specific student the focus of the photo or video (e.g., ID photos, or a recording of a student presentation); or
The audio or visual content of the photo or video otherwise contains personally identifiable information contained in a student’s education record.

The local historical society/local history library would probably like these very much, as long as your school principal agrees.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

https://www.asmp.org/wp-content/uploads ... _hirez.pdf

https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/cop ... ne-images/

all feel free to read at your leisure, there is nothing black and white, there are several shades of grey and no easy answer.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

Teacher here. I would give them to the secretary and let them figure out what to do with them. I would not be scanning and posting them.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Good, lord, people. These are school pictures from the 70’s, not children in compromising positions. The people in the photos would now be in their 50’s, and I suspect would enjoy seeing the pictures. People post vintage photos all the time. FERPA didn’t exist then. Parents wouldn’t have signed releases, because that kind of thing didn’t happen then. Model releases wouldn’t be necessary, since this is editorial use.

The only thing I would be mildly concerned about is copyright ownership. The two options here are that the original photographer, or their heirs owns the copyright, or the school owns the copyright (or they’re public domain). 40 years after the fact, it might be hard to figure out which it is. If there’s no way of identifying the photographer, I would go with the school. Get permission from the principal to post the photos, then put them on Facebook. If you get a cease and desist from someone who claims to be the photographer, then take them down.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.