Finding a House Cleaning Service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NoProbLlama

Post by NoProbLlama » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:00 pm

I was surprised at how frequently this was mentioned in the lifestyle creep & happiness thread, so I'm thinking we might give it a try. But it feels very foreign & we're second-guessing every detail (e.g., national chain vs. local services, licensing/insurance/bonding, etc).

I'd really enjoy hearing feedback from people here about what we should consider/ask when selecting & scheduling such a service.

Any lessons you've learned along the way or things you wish you'd known sooner?

five2one

Re: Finding a House Cleaning Service

Post by five2one » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:48 pm

This is going to sound silly but after doing all the planning, we chose to stay away.
Too many uncontrolled variables and lots of stories of decreasing quality over time.

We bought better cleaning supplies (shark vacuum for starters) and got the kids on board and much easier.
If this was a vacation home with basic pictures and no real valuable then that makes sense but I didn't want to worry about theft, breakage, etc.

Removing clutter makes it a lot easier like putting delicates in an enclosed cabinet....no dust.
Last edited by five2one on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ragnathor

Post by ragnathor » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:01 pm

We had our first cleaning service today and we could get used to this :) My spouse is a SAHM with toddler and infant so trying to give her a cleaning break!

We found ours through the Nextdoor neighborhood app recommendation. I think a recommendation is good or any cleaning service - if you don't like what they do you don't have to hire again!

cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:08 pm

We hired someone to come clean a year ago and it has been a wonderful decision! We received recommendations from friends/neighbors and got quotes. We decided to get a weekly service (it ended up being only slight more expensive than bi-weekly or monthly). Now, once the cleaning is done each week, I look around the house and feel wonderful, one less thing we have to do ourselves.

Money, extremely well spent for us!

Our costs to give an idea - weekly, $80 or bi-weekly $150. For a few dollars more, we got the weekly service. The cleaners say that it is easier for them too, since they are maintaining the cleanliness. They mentioned that bi-weekly or monthly people just let things get "dirty" and it is more effort for them to clean.

Davinci

Post by Davinci » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:11 pm

It can take years to find someone that can be trained to do exactly as you expect things and most of all you trust them with your house.

We have such a person which also helps as a nanny when needed but we find that if we are proactive and keep everything reasonably organized and clean that there is no need for a more frequent house cleaning schedule that 1X/month.

Our person will come once a month sometimes 2-3 months to do a very detailed clean of things that we do not clean all the time. Then, we simply maintain the house clean and expect the kids to do the same to always clean after themselves and put their things away.

It definitely depends on the size and construction of the house, we have a 1600ft house for a family of 4 and it is very easy to clean as we have laminate floors throughout so a pass with a large mop is good enough. Dust accumulates so you have to use duster for all flat surfaces. Most of the work for us is in the kitchen which is heavily used, we clean daily as we go but a good detailed scrub of everything is needed once per month.

We also know with kids/pets that is not possible to have a house always in pristine condition so we keep it reasonably clean but not shining in all spots at all times and we do not stress about it.

We tried several house cleaning services paid by the hour and I found that they did not perform a good detailed job and I was very frustrated that I could never find anything after as they did not know where things went/belonged so I wasted a lot of time finding daily used things. There is also the occasional thing that can disappear so that is always a risk.
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:22 pm

NoProbLlama wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:00 pm
Any lessons you've learned along the way or things you wish you'd known sooner?
We've always found our cleaners through referral by neighbors, and directly hire local people. Big chain services can add reliability, but seem to take a huge cut while weakening the personal relationship. We'd rather the money go to the people doing the work, and once we find someone good we stick with them for a long time.

Marylander1