Flying from Atlanta to Pune India

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nodenuff2

Flying from Atlanta to Pune India

Post by nodenuff2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 pm

Anyone ever made this trip? Any ideas about what tp expect? How long does it take? Any advise?
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

JohnFiscal

Re: Flying from Atlanta to Pune India

Post by JohnFiscal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:29 pm

use 'Google flights' (https://www.google.com/flights) as a tool to check for prices, schedules, etc. Fortunately, Atlanta's main airport has many international flights heading out of it so you will have good choices.

You can filter based on duration, stops, etc. And you can set fare watches so you'll get email alerts when fares drop.

edit: The "price graph" is very handy too.

Looks like a very long trip, more than a full day (24 hours)...maybe 22 hours for more costly flights. I myself am in severe physical pain with flights over 20 hours. I have done ATL to MNL many times (plus a 2.5 hour trip tagged onto the beginning of that to get to ATL)...that ranges around 24 hours

JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:38 pm

oh, my advice is to get "premium" economy seats. I have done regular economy on such long flights and never again. Go higher if you can afford it, business class, etc.

cjg

Post by cjg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 pm

You could consider flying into Mumbai and taking a taxi to Pune. Sometimes this leads to better travel times since you don't have to take a connection.

Topic Author
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Taking first class seats all the way. Too long and too hard for an old man.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm

nodenuff2 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 pm
Any advise?
For travel deals out of Atlanta Clark Howard has a web page with deals from Atlanta.

https://clark.com/clarks-atlanta-travel-deals/

He is a credible consumer advocate that has a radio show, and he used to own a travel agency.

It looks like they have a good deal to Mumbai right now for only $629 roundtrip.

That will not doubt be a long flight. If you have a connection in London then be sure to leave plenty of time to get through customs, they occasionally have long delays.

I am going to Australia in a few months and I decided to spend a night or two each way in San Francisco to break it up into shorter flights. That adds the cost of a hotel room in San Francisco but we will also get some time to see some of the sights there.

If you have the time you might figure out if there is someplace to spend a few days in between that you would like to see.

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:34 am

When traveling to Pune / Mumbai, I prefer to make a connection in New York and take the direct flight from New York (EWR) to Mumbai (early AM local time arrival). This can save some time and you only have to sit on one long international flight. Flying from Mumbai to Pune can take longer than arranging for a driver (3-4 hours depending on traffic). A flight may require you to switch from international to domestic terminal and delays are common. Safe travels ...

aqan

Post by aqan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:10 am

nodenuff2 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 pm
Anyone ever made this trip? Any ideas about what tp expect? How long does it take? Any advise?
is this a business trip or are you traveling for fun? What will you be doing once in Pune?
The flight itself could be painfully long, so certainly upgrade to the best class you can afford. I'd also arrange ground transportation in advance. Take some antibiotics with you, only bottled water from a reputable vendor, avoid street food and cold/uncooked items.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:29 am

nodenuff2 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 pm
Taking first class seats all the way. Too long and too hard for an old man.
Having flown extensively in both international first and business class (mostly on points) I would say seriously consider business over first unless money is truly no object or somebody else is paying. First is very nice but it isn't that much better than business and the differences are largely around the service, food and booze. Yes the seats are often better but there is a point of diminishing returns once you have a lie flat seat.

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 am

Check out prices via Expedia hotel+flight packages. Even if you get only one night cheap hostel and don't use it. There have been good fares lately in business on that route... See the FlyerTalk premium fares forum.

link
Last edited by BusterMcTaco on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:38 am

Watty wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm
That will not doubt be a long flight. If you have a connection in London then be sure to leave plenty of time to get through customs, they occasionally have long delays.

If you have the time you might figure out if there is someplace to spend a few days in between that you would like to see.
If you are a transit passenger going through Heathrow or any other London airport you most certainly do not have to clear customs or immigration you do however have to clear transit security which is a pain for sure. The only exception to this would be if you are flying on separate tickets/PNRs and had checked luggage you were unable to interline. All that said Heathrow is a mess and I would avoid it and doubly so with all the questions on Brexit currently. While Brexit in theory shouldn't impact transit passengers who knows what is going happen.

I do agree with considering breaking up the trip with a day or two someplace. If flying the ME3 carriers I find Doha/Abu Dhabi/Dubai all worth a couple of days (though not much more).
Last edited by THY4373 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 am

Depending on your flexibility look at Google flight departures from other cities as well. The savings can be significant Also if you have the Amex Plat consider checking their IAP prices: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/trav ... e-program/.

rocketfast

Post by rocketfast » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:28 pm

1. At Mumbai, you may need to get out of international terminal (many domestic flights use the same terminal), take a car and then go to another purely domestic terminal. You can avoid this, if your connecting flight to Pune is in the international terminal too.

2. There is a Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt directly to Pune. That may be more convenient in some cases.

3. Pune has good access to Western Ghats, which is one of the most pristine bio-diverse jungles in the world -- if you are into that. May be worth planning it out. Pune is also one of the "better" cities remaining in India - that will tell you a lot about all the other cities.