Trip insurance: claims experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Trip insurance: claims experience?

Post by nisiprius » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:02 pm

"Does trip insurance work?" That is: I want to hear from people you bought trip insurance and had to cancel the trip. Did you feel that making the claim was easy, and that your claim was handled fairly, promptly, and according to your understanding of the insurance coverage?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

barnaclebob

Re: Trip insurance: claims experience?

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:08 pm

A couple we talked with on our last trip made a successful trip insurance claim. One of them got the bends while doing a dive with a shady company in tahiti or something. They had to go to new zealand to get to the nearest decompression chamber because the one in tahiti had been broken down for awhile. They had to submit a bunch of documentation and receipts but the insurance did pay out. Didn't get the name of the company though.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:09 pm

Situation: 82 yo purchases $450 trip to see grandchildren. In ensuing months, 82yo develops heart condition to the point surgery is required and doctor says 82yo cannot fly. Doctor provides a note to 82yo, who sends note along with a one-page claim form to Allianz trip insurance. Claim is adjudicated in 82yo's favor in about a week and a check shows up in about another week. 8-)

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:19 pm

I had trip insurance on a trip I ended up postponing for a year due to a death in the family. I filed a claim to get a refund on the air portion (premium economy to Europe) and it seemed to work fine, I received a check for the correct amount in probably 6-7 weeks.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:41 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:02 pm
"Does trip insurance work?" That is: I want to hear from people you bought trip insurance and had to cancel the trip. Did you feel that making the claim was easy, and that your claim was handled fairly, promptly, and according to your understanding of the insurance coverage?
First, you might want to peruse the Travel Insurance section of www.CruiseCritic.com

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/4 ... insurance/

where you may see some complaints (and note either the responses pointing out why the OP had a problem, or likely did, or the name of the troublesome company).

We've had several claims, including two large ones.

We purchased our policies through a broker (we found recommendations on CC) www.TripInsuranceStore.com (there are other brokers, but we have no experience with those.
But CALL them... the online summaries of various policies cannot possibly show all of the "fine print", and that's what trips (no pun intended!) some people up.

We've gotten most of our policies from Travel Insured, and all of our claims are with them.

Once we had the documentation submitted, we got paid in full, and promptly.
From the time they had all the signed docs (none of which we thought were unreasonable), we were told in about a week that the claim was approved and a "check was on the way", and about a week later, we had the check.
We found getting a e-address rather than using phone calls with a claims person ("is there anything else you need?", etc.) was by far the best way to proceed.Un

A few things to think about: We ALWAYS get coverage for any "pre-existing conditions". This obviously doesn't give the insurer any "outs" by claiming some bizarre linkage to some condition. But we think it also speeds up the claim considerably, because there is no need for the insurer to request months (or more??) of medical records to make sure there were no related pre-existing conditions. Old records are simply irrelevant.

Most of our claims were not actually for "medical costs", although all were for medical situations (trip cancellation or interruption due to a medical event/emergency).

Our policies require that we start the insurance within ~20 days (varies by state) of the FIRST payment/deposit, although we only need to insure that small amount, and then increase the coverage as we increase the trip pre-paid costs.
Other insurers/policies have different terms, etc., no surprise.

Until this year, we were "ahead", but that's in good part due to the very first policy we took out, for a big trip that was cancelled entirely about 2 weeks prior to departure (= no refunds at all). So that got us off to quite a "head start", so to speak.
There were obviously no medical costs for the travel insurance, as we hadn't traveled yet...

And yes, we certainly could have "afforded" the loss, or we shouldn't have taken the trip. Plus, it was all long since paid.
However, it was awfully nice for our very first "big trip" to be able to say (while en route to a myriad of medical appointments), "at least we won't have to pay AGAIN to take this trip later!".

We also had claims for untoward events that happened during trips.

Let us know if you have any questions.

We strongly recommend getting the coverage by phone; they'll ask you some questions to help figure which is the right policy. Some of that is "what do you want/need" and some of that is "which policies do *you* "fit"", etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:24 pm

We recently filed a claim on trip insurance that we took out on renting an air B&B in an area where we had planned on going deep sea fishing in Oregon. We had (4) in our party and one of the vacationers found out that she had stage 1 breast cancer the day before they were going to leave to fly out. She is in her early 70s and has had (3) bouts of cancer in the last 16 years which is exactly why we took out the insurance (which we had never done before). Her doctor had to fill out a form that we sent into the insurance company. We recovered the full amount for the rental.

DH and I found another place to stay (for two instead of four), went deep sea fishing, and slayed 'em. Our friend has had surgery and is doing well...will have to have radiation for a while. We plan to go back and do it again and are hoping they can join us, but first we have to eat up all the rock fish and crab that we caught!!

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Several years ago, we were taking a trip to Hawaii. The plane we were supposed to fly on was having some problems, and the airline ended up cancelling the flight. We drove back home and then drove back to the airport the next day. We ended up filing a claim for one night of hotel expense (Hawaii hotel) as our trip was delayed a day. I just submitted the requested documentation and the insurance paid out--no problem.

Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks to all who replied. I feel I have my answer.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:54 pm

Bought a policy with Travel Insured through https://tripinsurancestore.com/. This was a cancel for any reason policy. Cancelled the trip with travel agent, filed a claim with Travel Insured online, submitted the required documentation, got a call 3-4 days later saying my claim was approved & would receive a check in 7-10 days. Got the check in that timeframe.

Recommend highly https://tripinsurancestore.com/ & Travel Insured, for any claim, providing specific requested documention is key.
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:36 pm

I don't remember the name of the company, but we canceled a $25k trip at the last minute when DW got sick. Doctor wrote a note, insurance paid. I wish everything were so easy.

BruinBones

Post by BruinBones » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:09 pm
Situation: 82 yo purchases $450 trip to see grandchildren. In ensuing months, 82yo develops heart condition to the point surgery is required and doctor says 82yo cannot fly. Doctor provides a note to 82yo, who sends note along with a one-page claim form to Allianz trip insurance. Claim is adjudicated in 82yo's favor in about a week and a check shows up in about another week. 8-)
Also had good service with Allianz. Daughter got sick before family trip to California. Wife stayed home with daughter. Submitted note from Pediatrician and was reimbursed for both of their plane tickets.