how not to waste money on trash bags.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bowtie

Post by bowtie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 pm

I like to use large trash bags, usually black ones, but I don't want scented ones like Febreze added. However, the supposedly plain ones I purchase have an awful 'trash bag smell' except a few odd brands that now I can't find any longer. I'd like to know if anyone has bought some which do not have this strong smell. I ask in the stores, buy the box of them, and am usually disappointed by the same thing. I use them up but it seems a waste of money since the smell is strong.

livesoft

Re: how not to waste money on trash bags.

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm

For what purpose? I can suggest ways to not create any trash or garbage, but I am not sure what you want.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:02 pm

We just use plastic bags from the supermarket, including the produce bags. It's free and doesn't smell. Not big though.

Davinci

Post by Davinci » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:05 pm

What material are you using? My plastic trash bag do not smell at all. I would be concerned that you are buying a cheap product from China that might be done with dangerous chemicals, do you mean the bags smell or the trash?

If you are concerned with trash smell, there is no way around it trash smells, try emptying bad liquids in your sink and trash dispenser and do no let things rotten in the bag.

Good luck!
" Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" Leonardo Da Vinci.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 pm

We have mostly been using rolls of lightweight clear garbage bags (8-13 gallon size?) and we got from a fellow shopper at Costco after we exhausted the free ones our grocery store provided for groceries and our state required that there be a $.10 or more per bag charge attached to bags. I’ve not noticed any smell from the clear bag or any other trash bags we have used. We mostly just use smaller bags as liners for our indoor trash bins and tie and toss them into the large county-issued many-gallon bin that gets rolled to the curb weekly. The rolls of bags have lasted us over a year and counting.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 pm

Probably 12 years ago, the kids got us a Simplehuman hands-free trash container for Christmas.

At first glance, you would think the bags would be expensive since they are proprietary. Depending on the quantity we buy, price works out to less than 30 cents each. We usually pay even less because we get them at Bed Bath & Beyond with a coupon. We only use one a week at most. They are super strong and have never broken nor leaked leaving a trail of messy debris. When we do have something stinky or damp, we use multiple cheapo plastic grocery bags and put them directly in the tote in the garage.

I wouldn't skimp on something like this. I hate cleaning up leaky garbage,

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:54 pm

Just go to Wally World and buy their generic trash bags.

Topic Author
bowtie

Post by bowtie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:48 pm

It's the bags, the plastic that smells ... not the trash. I've tried black Hefty bags most recently and thought they would be OK but they smelled strong ... thanks, I'll look up Wally's World. I'm not a Costco member but maybe I'll see about "Smart and Final" where you don't have to be a member. Thanks.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 am

All bags smell in some degree. Are you using the large bags inside your home? Most everyone I know, myself included, use and keep them in the garage or outside, minimizing any odor effects.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:00 am

IGA, no smell and sturdy enough that they don't rip. However, I try to use those large paper bags they sell for compost for trash if I am not throwing out wet stuff.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 am

We have a cheap kitchen plastic garbage can with a foot-actuated locking lid. Once a plastic bag is lining the can, there really is no odor detectable. And when disposing of the contents, I (or usually the maids) carry the entire thing outside to the large wheeled lidded plastic garbage bins and not just the liner. Once outside, I use the "neck tie" closure built in to the liner to cinch it closed, then lift it out of the kitchen can and into the bin. The bag and contents never have a chance to stretch or spill or release odors into the house. Then I put a new liner (kept in the garage) in and bring the plastic kitchen garbage can with closed lid back into the kitchen.

We have reduced our kitchen waste tremendously, so the contents never weighs much even after 2 weeks.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:13 am

bowtie wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 pm
I like to use large trash bags, usually black ones,
Why do you limit yourself to the black ones? Is it a color coordination thing or do they have some property that other styles don't have? Like others, I would recommend getting a better trashcan if you can't stand the smell. Once we put any bag in ours, even the scented ones, you can't smell it with the lid closed.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:16 am

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 am
We have reduced our kitchen waste tremendously, so the contents never weighs much even after 2 weeks.
We have done this too, though we do not wait 2 weeks to take our trash out.

We pay an annual fee for weekly trash pickup based on the size of the rollaway
containers (one each for single stream recyclables and for other trash).
We downsized from the largest size to the medium size last year.
Contract is up for renewal soon and we will be downsizing to the smallest
rollaways they offer.

I think we are currently paying a little over $200 per year for the
medium size. Not sure how much we will save by going to the
smallest size, but I like the commitment it makes to reducing
trash.

For $60 per year, I could drive the trash to the town transfer
station myself (on a route I regularly pass anyway) and pay
2.50 each time I drop off up to 15 pounds of regular trash and
lesser charges for dropping off recyclables of different types.
I have thought about doing that, not so much for the savings but
more for raising my awareness of how much trash I generate.