What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ChowYunPhat

Re: What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Post by ChowYunPhat »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:31 am A little less stress along the journey.
Thanks Sandtrap. It's been pretty cool to see her flourish in her new role and all of the support she's providing neighbors and others in need. She's also taking care of more of the day to day work and admin which means my work has been more focused and we've been able to enjoy additional time together.

The cost to this has not been as much as we thought...saving heavily early on in our marriage and the power of compounding mean some extra earned income over the next 10-20 years is not going to swing the pendulum that much. Bogleheads have been a huge help along the way.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
rj342

Post by rj342 »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:08 pm ...
Nicer toilet paper (makes me happier several times a day!)
I was scratching my head about that one, i.e. "several", one then realized you're a woman :oops:
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

FoolStreet wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:55 pm
radiowave wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:44 am Major upgrade to back yard last year, new deck, stone subpatios, irrigation and some planted trees. My wife loves spending time with plants and flowers and what a great peaceful place in the summer to just hang out or look out the window.
That is a big financial ticket cost. What pushed you over the edge to do it?
The key issue was the poured cement patio was crumbling and becoming dangerous to walk on. When we had the ~30 tons of concrete cut up and removed, I noted there was no rebar or reinforcement. Glad we did the remodeling, enjoying it now :)

I think the lesson learned is that older houses are not necessarily "cheaper" than new due to updates, additions, etc.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

protagonist wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:25 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 pm I'm curious for those who were able to make increase in their lifestyle, what things actually made you happier?
None.

And I went from poverty to being quite comfortable.

What made me happier were not "things":
- a partner who loves and respects me and vice versa
- a daughter who loves and respects me and vice versa
- a job I enjoyed and found satisfying
- good friends
- learning to play the saxophone and playing with others
- windsurfing
- retiring and thus reducing my stress level
- simplifying my life

Probably some other things as well, but those are the first that come to mind.

As far as "increase in lifestyle", I can't say my current possessions have made me any happier than I recall being when I was basically what people call a "hippie" in the late 1960s-early 1970s, hitchhiking for transportation, almost never going out to eat (I couldn't afford it), and living in cheap apartments with several roommates. At one point I lived for about 6 weeks on $20- made a pot of beans and rice on a hot plate at the beginning of each week and made it last all week until I got a job with a paycheck. Now I have a nice home and car, travel when I want to and eat where I please, do what I want to do without thinking much about cost, and should be set for the rest of my life without working. I enjoy what I have now in terms of possessions (I never went in for "luxury"), but none of it makes me fundamentally any happier- being a hippie with almost nothing was really fun, and I learned a lot from the rich experiences I had. I have great stories to tell. What makes me happier are the items above.

If you think "things" make people happy, walk down Wall Street, look at the first 100 people you see, and count how many of them are smiling. Then do the same on some relatively poor Caribbean island. Compare results.
i think you can come down a bit from your soapbox. "Things" could be windsurfing too. I enjoyed triathlon at a huge cost but it wasn't a physical possession. it required physical possessions (bike, helmet, running gear, etc.) but they didn't bring me happiness.
latesaver

Post by latesaver »

protagonist wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 am
ThankYouJack wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:38 pm But I think nicer things can make people a little happier too.
Another way to look at this. You have nicer things than probably 99% of everybody who ever lived, including kings, emperors, etc. Almost everybody in the US today who is not in abject poverty does.

Poor people today have to take subways and buses. They can't afford cars. Louis XVI had to ride a horse! Could you imagine how happy Louis XVI would have been if he got to take the Paris Metro?

Imagine how miserable his life must have been....no cell phone, no TV, no telephone, no radio, no internet, no car, no flush toilet, no running water.....

Imagine what an ordeal a simple dental visit must have been for Cornelius Vanderbilt! How cold all of his mansions must have been in the winter and how sweltering hot in the summer. Think of how much better your life is, with your crappy windsurfing gear.

Do you think people today are happier than people were in the past, because of all of our nice stuff? I doubt it. If they had love and liked their job they were happy. If they were lonely and hated their work they were not. If they were unsatisfied with what they had they were not.
Just like today.

In the 19th century lifestyle creep made people unhappy too. They all wanted to be like Cornelius Vanderbilt instead of stuck in their little apartment. They all wished they could afford Cornelius Vanderbilt's horse. And a beautiful toilet like this one. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 057869.jpg
this is a solidly false dilemma.

the next time you walk by a homeless person that looks miserable, make sure to brighten their day by exclaiming "hey pal, it could be 700 years ago and you'd have to be worried about the bubonic plague. cheer up!"
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

DanMahowny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 pm DarnToughSocks. They have socks high as $35.

I stick with $22-$28.
I'm sorry for bringing up a point from six months ago, but... I can't resist bragging.

I, too, am a fan of DarnTough socks, but my last purchase was made at $16.46 each when Backcountry had them on sale 25% off, which miraculously coincided with an 8% cash back promotion on eBates (double the usual 4%). Combined with an additional 1% in reward points from my credit card, my last purchase of DarnTough socks came in effectively at $14.98 per pair, or 32% off from the $21.95 list price.

I now regularly check Backcountry, Moosejaw, and Bass Pro for promotions, and try to stock up during sales. So yeah, I lifestyle creeped my socks... but I did so in as Boglehead a manner as possible.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Nice score, George.
Funding secured
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Independent George wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:16 pm
DanMahowny wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 pm DarnToughSocks. They have socks high as $35.

I stick with $22-$28.
I'm sorry for bringing up a point from six months ago, but... I can't resist bragging.

I, too, am a fan of DarnTough socks, but my last purchase was made at $16.46 each when Backcountry had them on sale 25% off, which miraculously coincided with an 8% cash back promotion on eBates (double the usual 4%). Combined with an additional 1% in reward points from my credit card, my last purchase of DarnTough socks came in effectively at $14.98 per pair, or 32% off from the $21.95 list price.

I now regularly check Backcountry, Moosejaw, and Bass Pro for promotions, and try to stock up during sales. So yeah, I lifestyle creeped my socks... but I did so in as Boglehead a manner as possible.
I love Darn Tough. I'm weirdly excited about the fact that I have a pair where the heel is *almost* worn through. Can't wait to utilize the free replacement option.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

latesaver wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:04 pm
"Things" could be windsurfing too. I enjoyed triathlon at a huge cost but it wasn't a physical possession. it required physical possessions (bike, helmet, running gear, etc.) but they didn't bring me happiness.
Yes I think this is common dubious idea of people selling frugality as the way to happiness, or people just rather arbitrarily against 'things' but not 'experiences'. There isn't any bright dividing line between the two.

I have before, maybe on this thread or not, given that example wrt to even a relatively mundane and universal think like a car as opposed to a special hobby like windsurfing. It's natural I guess for people who view a car as 'how to get to work and the grocery store' to assume that's what it is for everybody else. But I actually don't drive to work nor need to drive to the grocery store (we do drive to various kinds of stores including other food stores sometimes, but the basic supermarket is walkable, we carry the stuff home in two wheel cart). The main thing we've used our somewhat expensive new car for in the year we've had it is a looong road trip (~5kof the cars' 8k miles first year ). That car is part of the experience, a car very fun to drive on two lane roads. Plus seeing the scenery, hiking in National Parks, being together. It's all one great experience but the car enhances it.

Same token in general, 'I have family relationships' doesn't mean 'things' can't add to that. I'd be nowhere without my wife, but that doesn't mean we can't also enjoy nice things together. I don't see any logical basis for those kind of either/or statements, frankly. Or really any reason to bring up 'relationships' as a reason not to spend money. Relationships aren't really on point at the spending end of things. At the *earning* end of things perhaps, but that's not really the topic here. And as I said before IMO the life trade offs in being ambitious career-wise, like the people walking down Wall Street with their 'game faces' on, is a somewhat different and much more complicated topic than whether spending money, assuming you have it, gives you utility.
Glasgow

Post by Glasgow »

Cruise:
- Started out cruising with Carnival, inner room and Deck 4. Felt engine's vibration while sleeping.
+ Tried out on Celebrity and gradually booked porter hole, ocean view and then balcony. Can't go back.

Electric car:
- Every time we drive our ICE car, we hear engine noise, feel engine vibration at red light, and throttle lag.
+ With EV, it's dead quiet and no vibration at stop light. I think we're getting old who hate uninvited vibration.
+ We can start heater or AC using app on our phone on cold or hot days, respectively before entering the car.
+ No more stopping by gas station and paying $6000/year. It takes ~15 sec to plug/unplug charger.

Brooks Walking Shoes:
+ Always buy brand new and on sales on Nordstrom Rack web site (last year model) and on average it's $65/pair. It makes huge different for our daily 30-min walking activity.

Good raw foods:
+ Some organic fruits like apples bought from New Season has more flavor.
+ Big organic Medjool dates also from New Season.
+ Uncooked garlic bread cost 4x compared to the one from Walmart, but taste and texture are much better.
+ Prime beef (short rib plates, briskets, etc.) and 1lb lobster tails from Costco
+ Bring high quality and healthy lunch to work at low price - steak, salmon, fish, etc.

Pellet smoker:
+ I have been making great briskets and short ribs fit our tastes.

Salamander Broiler:
+ It cooks great steaks.

Foodnetwork.com (free):
+ DW has discovered so many recipes and tailors to our likings. Hence, less eating out.
+ She also makes delicious desserts like flan, tiramisu, milk tea, etc. which taste perfectly to our taste buds compared to the ones from bakery which might be too sweet for us.

Coffee:
+ Coffee bean roaster, green coffee beans, and Breville espresso machine
+ We drink as many as 3 cappuccinos a day saving us $5000/year.
+ Horizon organic milk - so flavorful for $6.98/gal at Walmart
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

badger42 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:03 pm
Slinky wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 am
badger42 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:58 pm House cleaning help
Paying for extra legroom on flights
House cleaning help
Amazon Prime, especially PrimeNow
House cleaning help
Amex Platinum
House cleaning help
A nice (US-made Titanium) bicycle
How does amex platinum help? I’m curious how you use it to your advantage! Thanks
The biggest advantage is lounge access - particularly the Centurion lounges.

Beyond that - we take full advantage of the airline fee credits, 'misc' benefits like purchase protection and roadside assistance, concierge, uber credits, etc.
Their hotel bookings can also be quite nice. Usually you'll get free breakfast, a hotel credit and early check-in/late check-out. Only available at higher-end places and not every hotel participates but I'll usually double-check with Amex before booking direct just to see what they're offering. It's particularly good in Vegas, especially at the Delano.
A440

Post by A440 »

Ray-ban foldable Wayfarer sunglasses. Technically they were "free" with the purchase of our new Subaru Outback. I like how I can use them for driving to work (during the months the sun is up before me), fold them up and keep them in my dress shirt pocket, and have them ready for when I leave.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
catlady

Post by catlady »

We live in a MCOL metro area where most people take public transit to work. Deciding to start driving to work, purchasing my first ever new car (celebration for reaching a significant financial milestone a couple years ago), and paying to park in the parking garage attached to my office building has made me happier on a daily basis. Going from cramped public transit and dealing with snow/rain/humidity/transit delays to driving to work in the piece and comfort of my own car has been wonderful. I also partially attribute my arriving at the office less stressed and in a better mood to my success at work which makes it even more beneficial.
confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor »

Eating out 3/4 times a week.
Even w Covid-19, we are picking up from restaurants 3/4 times a week.
Yinks

Post by Yinks »

$2000 memory foam mattress was the most expensive and best piece of furniture I ever bought. I still get basically every thing else from ikea on the cheap but am so glad I got a real mattress!
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Yinks wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:34 am $2000 memory foam mattress was the most expensive and best piece of furniture I ever bought. I still get basically every thing else from ikea on the cheap but am so glad I got a real mattress!
We also have a memory foam mattress. We paid about $2800 for it. If it went bad, I would easily buy another and pay more if I had to. A good mattress is worth the money just as are good shoes, good tires, good brakes.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

confusedinvestor wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:07 am Eating out 3/4 times a week.
We have decided not to eat out at all during the COVID situation, and I am missing it big time. It's one thing I'll resume with great enthusiasm as soon as this is closer to being over.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

mak1277 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:42 am

I stick with $22-$28.

I love Darn Tough. I'm weirdly excited about the fact that I have a pair where the heel is *almost* worn through. Can't wait to utilize the free replacement option.
How long did it take to wear through? I bought some Bombas in February and loved them until I already wore holes through the heel in 2.5 months. They will replace them, but maybe I should try Darn Tough.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:35 am

I stick with $22-$28.

How long did it take to wear through? I bought some Bombas in February and loved them until I already wore holes through the heel in 2.5 months. They will replace them, but maybe I should try Darn Tough.
Can't say for sure. Long though. I have at least one pair that I've worn hard for 5 years (hundreds of miles hiking in them plus normal wear once a week).
JakeyLee

Post by JakeyLee »

I too, am proudly "that guy". I was lucky. I had an existential crises before I turned 30. I discovered that all the "things" were not making me happy. I stopped buying toys. I started focusing on my health and relationships. It went hand and hand decades later into becoming financially independent.

I manage supervise about 25 employees. They poke fun at my old truck and tell me that I need to "live it up". But I eat high end meals a few times a week. Sometimes more. I can't wait to get back to a great steakhouse. I'm dreaming of massive bone-in rib eye, a couple martinis and a glass of Cab during the main course. So yeah, lifestyle creep has made me happier. My creep is just different than others' creep.
K5821

Post by K5821 »

Heated tile floor in the bathroom. We are in the process of downsizing as empty nesters, and I was sooo happy that we found another place with heated tile floors! Every day it feels amazing living in a cooler climate.
Now we're going to try out heated toilet seat too. I'll let you know.
confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor »

Amen. :sharebeer

I survived a major colon surgery 3 years back, after suffering for 3 painful years, I know my colon may give up sooner vs my other organs, so, I just had a good cap-streak w good cab last weekend.

Enjoyed Thai take out this evening, Italian tomorrow and P.F.Changs on Saturday

Food and Travel experiences make me happy.

JakeyLee wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:09 pm
I too, am proudly "that guy". I was lucky. I had an existential crises before I turned 30. I discovered that all the "things" were not making me happy. I stopped buying toys. I started focusing on my health and relationships. It went hand and hand decades later into becoming financially independent.

I manage supervise about 25 employees. They poke fun at my old truck and tell me that I need to "live it up". But I eat high end meals a few times a week. Sometimes more. I can't wait to get back to a great steakhouse. I'm dreaming of massive bone-in rib eye, a couple martinis and a glass of Cab during the main course. So yeah, lifestyle creep has made me happier. My creep is just different than others' creep.
gbaby07

Post by gbaby07 »

- Sit-stand desk
- Airpods
- Leather bag
- Leather boots
- Spotify, WSJ, and FT
TresBelle65

Post by TresBelle65 »

The ability to pay more for quality.

Better quality has led to fewer hassles, less time wasted, less stress, more overall enjoyment of life.

easy
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

I stick with $22-$28.

Backcountry is offering 20% off Darn Toughs * (12% cash back at Rakuten + 2% cash back from Citi) = 31.2% off! I just bought five pairs of the Coolmax Micro Crew Hikers.

Remember how you used to hate getting socks for Christmas? Well, I just blew some stimulus money on socks.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I stick with $22-$28.

Maybe I'm a sock snob now, but I only buy Darn Tough. I've had three pairs I have returned to them, with absolutely zero hassle. It was sooooo simple. They gave me a credit, and I spent it on their website. All three pairs that I warrantied were exactly the same model. I have avoided that one since, obviously.

Post by 123 »

It was a few years back but having enough space for each household member to have own TV and own computer (no need to share essential resources such as these) made life around the house much more conflict-free.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

TallBoy29er wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:27 pm

I stick with $22-$28.

Maybe I'm a sock snob now, but I only buy Darn Tough. I've had three pairs I have returned to them, with absolutely zero hassle. It was sooooo simple. They gave me a credit, and I spent it on their website. All three pairs that I warrantied were exactly the same model. I have avoided that one since, obviously.
Replacing was easy with Bombas, too. But they replaced the same style for style, rather than giving a credit.
zorgs10

Post by zorgs10 »

During the COVID shelter-in-place, we decided to try out grocery delivery and found it really convenient. We're likely to continue this even after life gets back to normal.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

I think I replied before, but since then I’ve found two things: (1) going almost totally cash free (credit cards and Apple Pay only and (2) going mostly electric with lawn equipment and automobiles. It’s just so darned efficient to avoid maintaining stuff - like the lawn mower, the car, the cash in my wallet.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Decades ago, when DW and I were still young and fit, DW's Mom gave her the family piano. When we upgraded homes a few years later, there was no way we could move an upright ourselves, so we hired a local company. There was no looking back. Even after the piano was given away, we would never move ourselves again.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

Since spending more time at my computer these days, I decided to upgrade my flimsy old office chair with a higher-end model, offering more adjustments and support. Ended up buying a Steelcase Criterion chair, which I'm falling in love with. In true Boglehead fashion, however, I bought a refurbished one online from Crandall Office Furniture. Saved a bunch of $$, as well as my back!
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

FoolStreet wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:32 pm Gambling is no fun if you know how to calculate Expected Value. You realize you will ALWAYS lose.
By this logic every activity that costs money, but does not generate a (financial) profit is no fun.
Hustlinghustling

Post by Hustlinghustling »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 pm I'm curious for those who were able to make increase in their lifestyle, what things actually made you happier?
None.

- good friends
- windsurfing
- simplifying my life

As far as "increase in lifestyle", I can't say my current possessions have made me any happier than I recall being when I was basically what people call a "hippie" in the late 1960s-early 1970s, hitchhiking for transportation, almost never going out to eat (I couldn't afford it), and living in cheap apartments with several roommates. At one point I lived for about 6 weeks on $20- made a pot of beans and rice on a hot plate at the beginning of each week and made it last all week until I got a job with a paycheck. Now I have a nice home and car, travel when I want to and eat where I please, do what I want to do without thinking much about cost, and should be set for the rest of my life without working. I enjoy what I have now in terms of possessions (I never went in for "luxury"), but none of it makes me fundamentally any happier- being a hippie with almost nothing was really fun, and I learned a lot from the rich experiences I had. I have great stories to tell. What makes me happier are the items above.

If you think "things" make people happy, walk down Wall Street, look at the first 100 people you see, and count how many of them are smiling. Then do the same on some relatively poor Caribbean island. Compare results.
There's a bias to view poverty with a romantic lens with the aim to critique our first world materialism. It's a message with a compelling emotional power but often becomes a caricature of itself in assigning virtue and inner peace to the poor and a materialistic nihilism to the rich, often undermining the legitimate points it holds in the process. To be fair, much of the list above was presumably made possible directly or indirectly through the time, environment, good health and resources that money afforded you. It doesn't have to be a "thing", per se.

To be crude with it, even when it's people that matter, there's no doubt that financial status - all other things equal - increases someone's options for a spouse or even whether they will be considered at all for marriage. This is especially so for men. Not necessarily fair or desirable .. it just is.

As for my list:
- heated toilet seats and bidet
- business class flights
- online subscriptions to streaming content (Blinkist, Apple Music, Great Courses Plus, for example)
mancich

Post by mancich »

sleepysurf wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:35 pm Since spending more time at my computer these days, I decided to upgrade my flimsy old office chair with a higher-end model, offering more adjustments and support. Ended up buying a Steelcase Criterion chair, which I'm falling in love with. In true Boglehead fashion, however, I bought a refurbished one online from Crandall Office Furniture. Saved a bunch of $$, as well as my back!
+1 In a similar fashion, since I am spending 9 hours a day in front of my computer screen, I have decided to upgrade my external monitor to a 31.5" beauty; it arrives Saturday and I can't wait.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Travel.
Spending a few hundred bucks to upgrade to business class on our trip to Asia this past January.
Boat - owned it for 10 years and provided so many great memories with friends.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, VWITX, SV fund]
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

We moved to a senior living community (condo) that provides snow and lawn services. We do pay a condo fee, but every time I hear them mowing the lawn, I feel good :D
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Hustlinghustling wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:29 pm
None.

- good friends
- windsurfing
- simplifying my life

There's a bias to view poverty with a romantic lens with the aim to critique our first world materialism. It's a message with a compelling emotional power but often becomes a caricature of itself in assigning virtue and inner peace to the poor and a materialistic nihilism to the rich, often undermining the legitimate points it holds in the process. To be fair, much of the list above was presumably made possible directly or indirectly through the time, environment, good health and resources that money afforded you. It doesn't have to be a "thing", per se.

To be crude with it, even when it's people that matter, there's no doubt that financial status - all other things equal - increases someone's options for a spouse or even whether they will be considered at all for marriage. This is especially so for men. Not necessarily fair or desirable .. it just is.

As for my list:
- business class flights
- online subscriptions to streaming content (Blinkist, Apple Music, Great Courses Plus, for example)
Oh yeah, I forgot about my heated toilet seat (that cost about $100 if my memory serves me well). OK, you've got me there.

That said, I take issue with your implication that I view poverty with a romantic lens. There is nothing romantic about poverty. I've been there. I am merely stating that, in my life, I have been poor, I have been pretty rich, and I have been something in between, and I can honestly say that it was the non-material things that were affecting my outlook on life and happiness at all points. Of course, given the choice, I would rather be rich than poor. But I don't see any significant correlation between my happiness and how much money I had or didn't have. Nor do I think my wealth had anything to do with my having a spouse and a daughter and friends that love me, as I think you suggested. In fact, when I was at my wealthiest (before a combination of divorce and the 2008 crash and job loss took about 75% of my savings), I was much less happy, since my marriage was failing (as you imply, men may seem more attractive to many women if they are rich, but not necessarily the right kind of women, and the men may not figure that out until it is too late). And I had less meaningful friendships, because I didn't have as much time for them.

I have less money now than I did 15 years ago but I am much happier. I'm not particularly frugal...I buy what I want and do not budget. I have not experienced lifestyle creep (unless you want to define that by my heated toilet seat). I live in a MCOL community by choice because I like it here, and my saxophone is worth more than my car. If I had more money I wouldn't know what to buy with it. I can't imagine what material goods would make me happier.

Of course, we are all different.... maybe that is just me and lifestyle creep has made others happy, I don't know.
Hustlinghustling

Post by Hustlinghustling »

protagonist wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:35 pm
None.

- good friends
- windsurfing
- simplifying my life

As for my list:
- business class flights
Oh yeah, I forgot about my heated toilet seat (that cost about $100 if my memory serves me well). OK, you've got me there.

That said, I take issue with your implication that I view poverty with a romantic lens. There is nothing romantic about poverty. I've been there. I am merely stating that, in my life, I have been poor, I have been pretty rich, and I have been something in between, and I can honestly say that it was the non-material things that were affecting my outlook on life and happiness at all points. Of course, given the choice, I would rather be rich than poor. But I don't see any significant correlation between my happiness and how much money I had or didn't have. Nor do I think my wealth had anything to do with my having a spouse and a daughter and friends that love me, as I think you suggested. In fact, when I was at my wealthiest (before a combination of divorce and the 2008 crash and job loss took about 75% of my savings), I was much less happy, since my marriage was failing (as you imply, men may seem more attractive to many women if they are rich, but not necessarily the right kind of women, and the men may not figure that out until it is too late). And I had less meaningful friendships, because I didn't have as much time for them.

I have less money now than I did 15 years ago but I am much happier. I'm not particularly frugal...I buy what I want and do not budget. I have not experienced lifestyle creep (unless you want to define that by my heated toilet seat). I live in a MCOL community by choice because I like it here, and my saxophone is worth more than my car. If I had more money I wouldn't know what to buy with it. I can't imagine what material goods would make me happier.

Of course, we are all different.... maybe that is just me and lifestyle creep has made others happy, I don't know.
The romantic caricature I mentioned comes in how you describe it being preferable to be poor and content with the little things in the Caribbean vs being a rich Wall Street banker who's lost the plot in their materialism.

Lifestyle creep isn't just about accumulating "things". Money afforded you the leisure time to play the sax as you're not working 3 jobs and 18 hour days to keep up. It gave you both the time and ability to pay for and take sax lessons to become more accomplished in the pursuit, to rent a studio or jam room to play with other musicians. These experiences are enabled by money, giving you options to express yourself, even when they're not "things".

That you are even able to "simplify your life" or "retire and reduce stress" is a product of having sufficient money to be able to choose those lifestyles. Living without a budget is a great freedom to free your mental space for more meaningful thoughts while those who don't have enough are often pre-occupied with stress on bills instead of pondering philosophy or having the time to engage in hearty discussion with family/friends or even to be able to post on a message board with strangers about whether or not money actually improves wellbeing. Not to mention being able to afford to take better care of your body and having a greater shot at a healthy life in order to make all these experiences and relationships even possible.

All I want to point out is that associating the value of money with simply a base materialism simplistically neglects that experiences, choice and ability for self-expression (ie the non-material aspect where you find value) is largely connected with it too
joaquin168q

Post by joaquin168q »

Spotify
Amex platinum
Better dress shoes-Ecco and Sam Hubbard
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Hustlinghustling wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:37 pm
protagonist wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:35 pm
None.

- good friends
- windsurfing
- simplifying my life

As for my list:
- business class flights

The romantic caricature I mentioned comes in how you describe it being preferable to be poor and content with the little things in the Caribbean vs being a rich Wall Street banker who's lost the plot in their materialism.
I never said that. My point was that, for me at least, there has been no correlation between my wealth and my happiness.
Lifestyle creep isn't just about accumulating "things". Money afforded you the leisure time to play the sax as you're not working 3 jobs and 18 hour days to keep up.
I agree with that, if I was working 18 hrs/day and working 3 jobs to keep up. But the problem with "lifestyle creep" is that people who live for it always want more, and thus they will always be working 18 hrs/day to keep up. When I was hitchhiking I worked for bus fare. When I was taking buses I worked for a beater of a car. Many rich people I know are well into their 70s and still feel a need to work at a job that brings them little pleasure because of the huge mortgage on their million plus dollar homes, or because they want a new Tesla, or whatever. Being stuck working like a dog at an unsatisfying job is not just the plight of the working class. I agree that if you have money you don't technically HAVE TO work like a dog to have more, but so many do. Those who can break the cycle (or never get caught in it in the first place), I believe, are the happiest.
That you are even able to "simplify your life" or "retire and reduce stress" is a product of having sufficient money to be able to choose those lifestyles.
I agree, but I still would have retired at the same age if I had a lot less. I might live in a smaller home and have an older car but I wouldn't miss what I didn't have or long for it. I would never argue that money does not buy you freedom and choices, assuming your approach towards money allows you to take advantage of it and not become enslaved by it.
Living without a budget is a great freedom to free your mental space for more meaningful thoughts while those who don't have enough are often pre-occupied with stress on bills instead of pondering philosophy or having the time to engage in hearty discussion with family/friends or even to be able to post on a message board with strangers about whether or not money actually improves wellbeing. Not to mention being able to afford to take better care of your body and having a greater shot at a healthy life in order to make all these experiences and relationships even possible

No argument there either. But because I resisted "lifestyle creep", mainly because I don't value luxuries or "social status" the way some do, I can live without that stress on a lot less than others who are more susceptible to those things. I have seen so many threads here with people stating things like "You need $3M to retire", or ""You can't live in NYC or SF unless you make at least $250K/yr" etc etc. The greater your demands for happiness the harder you have to work for it. And if you succeed, will you be happier? My guess is probably for a little while but not in the long run. I would guess that we are all programmed via our DNA regarding our outlook on life, some are destined to be more happy and accepting than others, and most of what will change that will have little to do with money, barring extreme poverty. It will have to do with love, job satisfaction, friends, health, etc. I had a heart attack at 62. It certainly put priorities in sharp focus.
All I want to point out is that associating the value of money with simply a base materialism simplistically neglects that experiences, choice and ability for self-expression (ie the non-material aspect where you find value) is largely connected with it too
I don't equate money with base materialism or I would not have bothered making it. I enjoy money. Quite a bit actually. But I made money....money didn't make me.
MyObjectivism

Post by MyObjectivism »

About to retire next month, I can list out the following small things..

High speed broadband (eventhough happy with max speed broadband)
4K viewing of favourite sports in TV
Binge watching Netflix and Amazon at high quality visuals it offers
Latest tech gadgets for exploring
Business class upgrades in flights
Business lounge in airports

These are apart from major new lifestyle changes and comforts I am going to get from next month especially FREEDOM
typical.investor

Post by typical.investor »

randomguy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:56 pm
BoglePaul wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 pm Chipotle WITH Guac
I will never be able to afford guac. That is like a 33% increase in cost over the basic bowl.
I encourage you to invest a little in something to make smoothies that can also process the avocados. I know you can do it with a fork, but sometimes avocados are a little tricky and less ripe than they seem.

Besides, smoothies can be very healthy and refreshing too.

I don't think you should go without guac. I worry your motivation will drop.
saintsfan342000

Post by saintsfan342000 »

The $60 I spent on a few new pairs of sweatpants last week. My old ones were ~7 yrs old, and all this working from home the last 2 months really took its toll.
Already impartial now
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

RollTide31457 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 am Bottled water and paper Dixie coffee cups. Easy to just throw in the trash rather having to wash.
I know this is responding to an old post, but nice environmental stewardship on both counts. Here's a tip. If you are drinking water, and you have a designated vessel that only you use -- even if it's a paper or plastic cup -- the need to wash is miniscule. You can use the same one for a month and then wash it if you want, and you'll be just fine. I have used the same plastic solo cup for water at work for over two years so far, and it still holds water just as well as on day one. I'm not trying to pick a fight or even make you mad, but I think this attitude of buying something with the intention of throwing it away to avoid some slightly unpleasant menial task is problematic.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Bigger house.

Tim
Bir48die

Post by Bir48die »

Buying a different house two years before retirement. Was pissed because it added $70k to what was a paid off mortgage but we cleared that out in a year. It's bigger than the last but a better setup with daylight basement that you can send family and guests down to live in and have privacy. Have a green space behind us and we're off two major highways so the access to all parts of Portland are easy. Awesome deck to sit out on. We'll have to be dragged out of here.
slyboots

Post by slyboots »

Moved from a small rented downtown luxury apartment to a townhouse about this time last year. Never had outdoor space before; now I have two grills and a nice little backyard. Live across the road from a park. It would have been nice under normal circumstances. With Covid it is truly excellent as DW and I are not in each other's hair at all times and we can barbecue outside. It's pricey but has turned out to be well worth it.
AnonLady

Post by AnonLady »

arrieros81 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:02 pm
pennywise wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 pm
1. House cleaning help
2. Regular massages
I was going to say Roomba made me happier. +1 on the massages as well.

Oh, and increasing the food budget.
You convinced me to get a Roomba or other robot vacuum. Spend a few hundred now and my floor gets cleaned automatically? Why haven't I gotten one before? I can't afford to pay someone right now for housecleaning help, but I can afford to pay once for a housecleaning robot.

Now if only they could make a robot that would do the dishes...
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

Fever Tree Light tonic water.

Fever Tree makes several premium tonic waters that are sweetened with sugar. They are just as sweet as the well known national brands (e.g. Schweppes) that are sweetened with corn syrup. I am not convinced that they are worth 4 times the price of the national brands.

But then I tried Fever Tree Light tonic water. Same recipe as regular Fever Tree, but about half the sugar. There's no going back... other tonic waters now seems way too sweet.

Enjoy your G&Ts!

--vtMaps
Historical Fact: Justin Smith Morrill represented Vermont in congress, had a dog named 'Trump', and wrote legislation establishing the Land Grant Colleges.