What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Thecallofduty

Re: What lifestyle creep made you happier?

Post by Thecallofduty »

DELIVERY SERVICE :sharebeer
we have kids. I no longer spend 2 hours on my first day off work going grocery shopping. i save time by having groceries delivered. Worth every penny. Its a life changer.

- based on other replies maybe we should hire cleaning service. Seems to be the consistent theme
-thecallofduty
hunterg

Post by hunterg »

Flying first class
Taking more regular vacations that aren’t visits to family and last more than a few days
Buying things for their value and quality rather than price
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

No longer having to work except when i choose to and from any location. Travel and dining without regard to cost. Having a view of the Pacific each morning.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I find us going backwards in some areas. It was a stretch to upgrade my electronics often enough growing up. It's certainly more affordable for me now, but I'd rather my items stay functional longer. A new smartphone every year or two isn't putting the same smile on my face I imagined it would. Likewise, the Xbox One X doesn't help me enjoy my gaming time anymore than I did on the Xbox One S. I like cheap food. $5 Burger Basket or $5 Hot & Ready have never stretched my budget.

Likewise with cars. If I can get my basic minivan to last 10-15 years that's a win. No needs to get the latest one next year or in 5 years.

I suppose the idea of affording a decent/quality tool vs. settling for something more affordable does make me happier.

I was happy to purchase outright our Honda Odyssey rather than lease a Chrysler Pacifica or buy a used model.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

BusterMcTaco wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:29 pm First/business class (when reasonably priced).
Good restaurants and bars.
Good wine.
Upper end hotels when traveling.
Using ride share instead of public transit.
Good ones!

For some reasons, I prefer public transit over ride shares. I find public transit much more streamlined, and efficient, effective, and boring.

Half the time, I feel like ride share drivers are trying to engage / entertain me, and the other half the time I feel like I am entertaining / engaging them. Too much work.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Not sweating the small stuff, i.e. paying a little extra or unexpected expenses.
trees

Post by trees »

Generally, things that save me time or make my environment cleaner / nicer:
- Monthly housecleaning (clean house, forcing function for me to pickup any mess that’s built up)
- Roomba (no more cat hair buildup in my bedroom because it runs daily)
- Lawn mowing (more weekend time, less guilt staring at super long grass and weeds)
- Ocassionally buying flower bouquets just because
- Instacart / prime now for grocery shopping & delivery (saves me a bunch of time and energy, but not sure it’s actually a lifestyle creep in the financial sense as now my grocery purchases tend to be more focused with less impulse additions - I might even be coming out ahead)

After doing a significant purge of excess stuff (year of significant effort, followed by another year or two of slower focused improvements in follow on areas) and a decade in my house, identifying the areas of the house where I wasn’t satisfied and allowing myself to buy replacements even though the existing product was functionally ok. For example, new bedroom drapes and a new desk (replacing one I’d had since college that was a cubicle style desk).

Focusing on food with qualities I enjoy or value, despite often higher costs. Loose leaf tea (why do I have to like the more expensive green teas?), local and/or organic produce, good cheese, etc.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

Working part time, hiring helpers to clean house and work on yard, and traveling to nicer places.

TravelforFun
Last edited by TravelforFun on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 »

Huge paycut for a much easier job.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Eating out more, because I absolutely hate cooking. Really, if you want to know what lifestyle creep will make you happier, think of things you really hate doing, and spend money to not have to do them.

Most other lifestyle creeps I've tried I've regretted because it just didn't seem worth the money (I didn't hate them enough). For example, I don't like mowing the lawn, but I also didn't like paying someone to do it for me, so I still mow my lawn. Buying and preparing food, then cleaning up afterwards though...you couldn't pay me any amount of money to do that. So I pay someone else to.
lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 »

Buying a Can Am Commander

My DH thought it was for him, but when we bought it, I knew it was for me. I use it to haul stuff on the property. Backing it out of the garage and off-roading into the hills isn't too bad either.
s8r

Post by s8r »

squirm wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 pm Home location - being away from people.

But not sure how this is actionable.
Ah, a fellow hermit. Why do most people insist on having neighbors? Life is much nicer without. :D

Post by 123 »

While I always enjoyed the self-sufficiency aspect of doing things myself (and that's how I was raised) I learned that for a lot of stuff it doesn't matter and that I can often save significant time (and money at times) by having services done by outsiders like automotive oil changes and mechanical repairs. As cars became more complex mistakes on some mechanical repairs got more expensive and often special tools or skills (practice) were important to get the job done right the first time. Sometimes what used to be a simple task, like replacing a headlight bulb, on some vehicles takes a certain dexterity to do it without having to sometimes remove a number of other parts. While I'll fix a flat on a bicycle or replace the brake pads myself I'll take it to a shop if it has shifting problems. I could put in the time and learn to do it myself but if a $100 tune-up at a bike shop will cure all the issues it for a couple of years I'm satisfied with that.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
shreyasfifa

Post by shreyasfifa »

AlphaLess wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 pm One other thing: I am able to help less fortunate relatives.
I'm curious. Do you set aside a certain amount to help your relatives? I got a call from one of my realtives since they know/think I'm well off and I had to decline their request for money. I knew that getting it back would have been next to impossible.

I want to know how you do it. Thanks!
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

The short answer is everything. If the item I buy didn't make me happier, I would have bought the cheaper alternative or nothing at all.

Of course there are some things that I regret buying.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

A reliable kicker and really blush towels for the coaches locker room.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

shreyasfifa wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:23 am
AlphaLess wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 pm One other thing: I am able to help less fortunate relatives.
I'm curious. Do you set aside a certain amount to help your relatives? I got a call from one of my realtives since they know/think I'm well off and I had to decline their request for money. I knew that getting it back would have been next to impossible.

I want to know how you do it. Thanks!
Everyone's situation is different but

We are helping my sister in law, who has a 3 year old.

#1 As soon as the money leaves my wallet, I know I'm never going to get it back.

#2 By giving her this money, she is now giving me the right to tell her when she is doing something stupid. I treat this 35 year old woman like she is a kid since she acts like one financially. When she stops borrowing money from me, I will stop giving my opinion unless she asks for it.

#3 I love my niece and this is the only reason we help my SIL. If it wasn't for my niece, the SIL would get $0. She has proven to be worthless over the last 17 years and I don't see that changing.

#4 I try to give items that only can be used for our niece. When I do give money for things like heat, I pay directly to bill.

#5 We're saving for our nieces future. Just my wife and I know this. We also need to adjust our will so that our niece is taken care of but her mother is not.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Steinway D has finally satisfied the picky pianist in the house who put up with a less perfect instrument for more than 20 years. Not sure that was creep, more like lifestyle surge. It was a lot more than we have ever or may ever spend on say, a vehicle.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Buying a larger house than we need.

Tim
Toons

Post by Toons »

Irobot
Traveling

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
azanon

Post by azanon »

Definitely yard service (mowing + everything else). I used to be the biggest opponent of this as a waste of money, but now after-the-fact I cannot possibly convey the pleasure derived from seeing 4-6 men mow and manicure my lawn.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

We use Uber and Lyft when eating out in the city...Love convenience of not having to deal with finding parking lots, no fear of DUI’s if we decide to have a few drinks, and the security of being dropped off and picked up in front of the restaurant...

Also, when I play a musical gig in the city, I use Uber to get to and from the venue...I order a large enough Uber for my equipment and tip the driver extra...The drivers tell me this is not an unusual situation...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
SGM

Post by SGM »

Beach house.

Give larger tips.

Treat friends to meals and theater.

Take classes to learn new skills. Mostly painting and sculpture.

Don't fly coach.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

house cleaners - because of long hours at work.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Children.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Space creep: buying physical books
Location creep: living in a metropolitan area
Travel creep: trips to Europe at least twice per year
Comfort creep: flying *to* Europe in business class
Mood creep: improv and standup classes and performances
Stimulating company creep: I have recently enrolled in a paid-for online community and I am planning continuing it in the foreseeable future.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
rmelvey

Post by rmelvey »

Hiring a biweekly cleaner has made a big difference. If you think about it as a housing expense it's not that bad. Renting a slightly a cheaper space that is always spotless looks better than a more expensive apartment that is dirty.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Yard service.
House cleaning help.
Grocery shopping without price checking.
Health care without factoring in price.
Regular massages.
Shopping for and buying nice original art.
Netflix.
Staying at nicer hotels.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

In no particular order.
Downsized the home
Association fee covers lawn service and snow removal
Flying B.C!
More vacations
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

- helping our parents
- helping our children
- travel
- different home
- boating
- volunteering/donating
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Lawn service
leeks

Post by leeks »

• Neighborhood: being able to afford a NYC location that offers a desirable commute, close-knit community, family-friendly everything, walkable/bikeable/transit, and our own backyard.
  • Upgrading to a more expensive 2-br apartment (same neighborhood) after our 2nd child - nicer backyard, dining room, bigger kitchen, guest space in basement and ....our first time as adults having a dishwasher! More usable cooking/eating/cleanup space means we eat out/order delivery less and we enjoy our home much more. Being a full-time parent at home with two little ones, a more comfortable (though still small) space improved daily life.
  • Groceries - being able to get them delivered (freshdirect/Amazon fresh) as well as getting smaller batches at farmers market and grocery stores within walking distance. Buying based on quality and convenience. Shopping for food without worrying much about price is quite the luxury.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

All of them. If they werent making me happier, I wouldnt have done them.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

lawn service
first/business class
I like whoever said "not sweating the small stuff"
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

letsgobobby wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:08 pm
ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 pm I'm curious for those who were able to make increase in their lifestyle, what things actually made you happier?
Kids.

Most of the time.
:D

Great response.

When 'Most of the time' takes place, a well deserved lifestyle creep vacation follows.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Probably the two big ones were:
1) Inground Swimming Pool: Lots of memories of the spending times with the kids on the weekends and evenings out there and today (kids are now grown), for me, nothing beats sitting poolside with a gin-and-tonic on a hot summer afternoon.
2) Home fitness area: No more having to drive back and forth to the gym; wait in-line for equipment; etc. I work out far more regularly ever since taking this step.
I'd say the third is nicer vacations - trips to Europe, Cruises, etc.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

As I get older I am finding happiness within. Health, family and friends are the most important to me. Building wealth is a tool that will allow more flexibility with family, friends and activity involving family and friends.
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa »

I was remembering the other day how I used to HAVE to watch EVERY PENNY I spent. Now, I can pretty much buy anything I want within reason. Things I am very thankful for:

New(er) car with backup camera and other bells and whistles
House cleaner once a month
More frequent and longer vacations
Working less so I can spend more time with my kids
goingup

Post by goingup »

Better hotel stays--Marriott, Hilton, Westin rather than Days Inn, etc. We always have traveled, but the accommodations have improved!
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

Buying the farm was planned for a long time (a stretch but not really creep). It has provided immense joy/happiness/satisfaction in many ways.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Getting a great easy-care dog. Taking care of neighbors' dogs when they are on vacation. They take care of our dog when we are gone.

Most of the other things listed in this thread creeped into life about 35 years ago, especially maids, eating in restaurants, children, travel, fitness. But I suspect many people already had pets in their lives, so they don't see a dog as creepy.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

-House cleaning service every two weeks
-Roomba
-Grocery delivery
-Kids

Not necessarily in that order. But basically anything that saves me time that allows me to spend more quality time with my kids and wife.
Minty

Post by Minty »

* 65 inch TV, middle of the line

* AmEx Platinum
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

VictoriaF wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:50 am Space creep: buying physical books
Location creep: living in a metropolitan area
Travel creep: trips to Europe at least twice per year
Comfort creep: flying *to* Europe in business class
Mood creep: improv and standup classes and performances
Stimulating company creep: I have recently enrolled in a paid-for online community and I am planning continuing it in the foreseeable future.

Victoria
I'm curious about this. Can you elaborate? If you don't want to name it, can you tell us the nature of it (hobby related, professional related, specific subject area, etc)?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

My Brompton folding bike makes me happy.

Unfortunately the high will be -7F and dropping today. I think I should pair my bike with living in a warmer climate. :oops:

-15F is the forecast high for next Wednesday. -30F for the low. Cold weather slows lifestyle creep to a crawling creep. :wink:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

LFKB wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:40 pm All of it - bigger house with a pool/hot tub, upgraded cars, nicer golf courses, better vacations, better tickets for shows, concerts and sporting events, house cleaning help, nanny, better wine and booze at the house, flying first class, getting massages, better furniture, etc

If I didn’t derive pleasure from it, I wouldn’t pay more for it
+1

Exactly my thoughts, though our lists may differ somewhat.

IMHO lifestyle creep is a feature--not a bug. That's what money is for.
Socal77

Post by Socal77 »

pdavi21 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 am Huge paycut for a much easier job.
What job did you switch from and to?

Post by 2015 »

Moving to paradise has been one of the biggest fulfillment creeps of my entire life. Right now, at 8:30 in the morning, I'm marveling out my bedroom window at the moon dipping into the top of the mountains right in front of me. I have gobs of money to travel this year, yet no desire to go anywhere.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Major upgrade to back yard last year, new deck, stone subpatios, irrigation and some planted trees. My wife loves spending time with plants and flowers and what a great peaceful place in the summer to just hang out or look out the window.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph »

Custom fitted suits.