Cell Phone Plans - Question Re Best Plan for Combining Husband & Wife

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CaptainMarvel

Cell Phone Plans - Question Re Best Plan for Combining Husband & Wife

Post by CaptainMarvel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 am

I currently have Verizon for my cell phone plan. I'm paying $60 per month for unlimited talk & text and 5 gb max data per month. My wife has Sprint. She's paying $80 per month for unlimited talk & text and unlimited data. We are both happy with the respective carriers and plans but I'd like to get the two of us on one plan to save money. I called Verizon and they've offered a family plan covering the two of us for $110-$120 per month with unlimited talk & text but with a data cap of 4 gb per month. Neither of us mind this lower data cap since we're usually on WiFi and barely exceed 3 gb at most each month.

Any idea which major carrier (i.e., TMobile, Sprint) would have the least expensive plan that would cover the two of us and that could beat the proposed Verizon plan above? I thought perhaps someone on the forum was also shopping for a group/family plan or had recently shopped for one. Our kids are very young so there's no need to include them on the plan. We are both happy with our phones too so we don't have a need for getting a new phone as part of a new plan.

Thank you.

student

Re: Cell Phone Plans - Question Re Best Plan for Combining Husband & Wife

Post by student » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 am

If you are 55 or older, consider https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobil ... limited-55
If you have comcast, consider xfinity mobile.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:53 am

If you have Comcast internet, consider Xfinity mobile. Our 2 lines with minimal data cost under $6/mo, including all tax & fees. You then pay for data, but unlimited data is $45/line. So at most it’s under $100. On the Verizon network.

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:04 am

Spectrum internet also has a Verizon based plan that is cheaper.

At T-Mobile, I believe you can get $120 for 2 people including all taxes and fees. It also includes basic Netflix. It's unlimited, although it might have a cap for 4G speed. It also allows text and data in a slew of other countries. Very nice when traveling!

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 am

+1 for Xfinity Mobile if you have have Xfinity internet. $12 per GB (and partial GB) plus a few dollars in fees...that's it. You'd be looking at around $55 per month.

pj1983

Post by pj1983 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:17 am

+1 on the TMUS 55+ plan, if their coverage meets your needs and you qualify. We had to install one of their "cellspot" signal boosters to get coverage at home; coverage is pretty good everywhere else but we don't do a lot of traveling outside the local area.

Definitely recommend shopping one of the independent brokers to get comparison on plans and pricing. If you talk to each company individually it's hard to compare apples to oranges. We were very pleased going through the dealer hosted by Costco.

crit

Post by crit » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am

Google Fi. $30/mo for both spouse and me.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:22 am

dsmil wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:09 am
+1 for Xfinity Mobile if you have have Xfinity internet. $12 per GB (and partial GB) plus a few dollars in fees...that's it. You'd be looking at around $55 per month.
+2 for XFINITY Mobile. Our bills are regularly $17-28 per month (tax included). We stay under 2 gigs data per month though. Verizon network, so excellent coverage.
Last edited by 3-20Characters on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:22 am

TotalWireless.com

2 lines sharing 15GB of data for $57+tax/month with auto-pay.

Verizon towers. Unlimited calls/texts.

Keep using your existing phones. You can pay less for lower data. TW is pretty competitive and keeps you on Verizon. No need to turn on Wi-Fi. :twisted:

Be wary of Sprint/T-Mobile plans where coverage will be more focused on urban areas. Also "pay per usage" can heavily vary based on your usage. Use zero data, get rewarded with a smaller bill. Ting/GoogleFI are "pay based on usage".
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

AerialP

Post by AerialP » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 am

Yes, strongly consider Google Fi. Everyone I've known to migrate to them has been tickled with every aspect.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 am

crit wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am
I looked at Google FI, and almost went that direction. But it would have cost $35/mo plus tax and fees for our 2 lines, with zero data. Our Xfinity bill comes to $5.8, INCLUDING tax and fees. And the 1-2GB we typically share is also cheaper.
Last edited by neilpilot on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

altruist

Post by altruist » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:36 am

crit wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am
Looks like it's $35 now for two people. Are you grandfathered in at a lower rate for second person (10 instead of 15, after 20 base), or doing something else?

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 am

Oof, these plans are terrible. We're paying $36 combined after taxes and fees for my wife and me with T-Mobile. Unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data (each line can get throttled if it goes above 2.5GB data, but nobody ever even comes close to 1GB).

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:37 am
Oof, these plans are terrible. We're paying $36 combined after taxes and fees for my wife and me with T-Mobile. Unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data (each line can get throttled if it goes above 2.5GB data, but nobody ever even comes close to 1GB).
I considered T-Mobile for the over 55 unlimited plan, but it cost way more than $36. So I challenge you to provide a link or other info that shows 2-lines from T-Mobile, unlimited everything, that comes at or near $40 total. Without any special concessions.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
At less than 1 gig data combined for both, this would cost you anywhere between $0-$12 plus tax at Xfinity Mobile.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 am

CaptainMarvel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 am
I currently have Verizon for my cell phone plan. I'm paying $60 per month for unlimited talk & text and 5 gb max data per month. My wife has Sprint. She's paying $80 per month for unlimited talk & text and unlimited data. We are both happy with the respective carriers and plans but I'd like to get the two of us on one plan to save money. I called Verizon and they've offered a family plan covering the two of us for $110-$120 per month with unlimited talk & text but with a data cap of 4 gb per month. Neither of us mind this lower data cap since we're usually on WiFi and barely exceed 3 gb at most each month.

Any idea which major carrier (i.e., TMobile, Sprint) would have the least expensive plan that would cover the two of us and that could beat the proposed Verizon plan above? I thought perhaps someone on the forum was also shopping for a group/family plan or had recently shopped for one. Our kids are very young so there's no need to include them on the plan. We are both happy with our phones too so we don't have a need for getting a new phone as part of a new plan.

Thank you.
Basing your choice on random people's idea of "best" and "cheapest" is not a good idea. Your choice needs to be based on what carrier has the best network in your area as they are different in every state.

Also Verizon and Sprint use the CDMA radio network while AT&T and T-MO uses GSM so if you move between them you will buy new phones it is not an option.
Last edited by brad.clarkston on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
I considered T-Mobile for the over 55 unlimited plan, but it cost way more than $36. So I challenge you to provide a link or other info that shows 2-lines from T-Mobile, unlimited everything, that comes at or near $40 total. Without any special concessions.
I'd like to see that link too because I have T-Mobile unlimited everything and pay nowhere near that.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am

neilpilot wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Okay, here's a screenshot of my bill: https://imgur.com/a/Q2nBhQU. It's normally about five dollars cheaper than that, but last month we temporarily turned on unlimited North America access in order to use calling/texting/data in Mexico. Ten lines, after tax/fees is under $200, which is under $20 per line, which is under $40 for two lines.
3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:45 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
At less than 1 gig data combined for both, this would cost you anywhere between $0-$12 plus tax at Xfinity Mobile.
Ugh, then I'd have to use Comcast. And I'd have to watch my data usage. No thanks.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am
neilpilot wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Okay, here's a screenshot of my bill: https://imgur.com/a/Q2nBhQU. It's normally about five dollars cheaper than that, but last month we temporarily turned on unlimited North America access in order to use calling/texting/data in Mexico. Ten lines, after tax/fees is under $200, which is under $20 per line, which is under $40 for two lines.
3-20Characters wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Ugh, then I'd have to use Comcast. And I'd have to watch my data usage. No thanks.
So you get a huge discount for having 10 lines. That really does make a difference. You can't get just 2 lines at that price. My family pays over $100/month for 3 lines.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:
3-20Characters wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:
So you get a huge discount for having 10 lines. That really does make a difference. You can't get just 2 lines at that price.
Indeed you cannot. If I recall correctly from when I signed up for the plan, the first line was $50, the second line was $30, and lines 3+ were $10 each. So you just get your siblings, parents, whomever you want all together and connect on the same plan. I've got me, my wife, my mom, my dad, my sister, her husband, my other sister, her husband, my other sister, and my brother. I get the bill from T-Mobile, I pay the bill, every one mails me a check for their portion, which is divided evenly.

Nothing stops other people from doing the same.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:27 am

If you have good Sprint coverage, seriously consider Tello.com, $14 a month, unlimited talk and text and 1 gb data; upgrade to 4 gb data, $29 total; upgrade to 10 gb data, $39 total.
If you need new phone, here's a good one:
https://www.costco.com/Moto-G6-Unlocked ... 22868.html
Last edited by bryansmile on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

peetsperk

Post by peetsperk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:28 am

First, this might require some homework on your part. You need to check coverage in your area for different carrier options. Once you have narrowed the list to those that provide good coverage in your area, next you need to decide if you’re bringing your current phones or replacing them. This decision can also determine which options will or won’t work. We just went through the same process. Google Fi, which utilizes T-Mobile/U.S. Cellular/Sprint towers was approximately $80.25 per month for unlimited talk & text and 4 gigs of data. I believe each additional gig was $10. Fi requires no contract. T-Mobile Unlimited 55 was $70 total, including taxes, fees and everything else. If you buy phones from them they will try to lock you into a contract by issuing credits that can extend up to 36 months. If you buy unlocked phones elsewhere, this problem can be solved. Finally, we selected Consumer Cellular which utilizes T-Mobile and AT&T towers. For us, coverage was very good and the total monthly cost was $58.85 which includes two lines with unlimited talk and text, plus 5 gigs of data and local 7% tax. There is no contract and plan can be changed at any time. Hope this helps.

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am

Another vote for Google Fi. Great price and coverage, and no data roaming charges overseas (this is HUGE).

Also calls to Canada are not charged extra.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Well you failed my challenge, since I specified 2-line service, not 10 lines you apparently have that I consider a concession.

That's like saying my 100GB internet service costs only $33/mo including tax and fees, which it does, except that I have a discount plan thru my DW's former employer.

Or that my 2 mobile phone lines are free, when the service is really paid by my employer.

Except they are free, since I typically use very little data and have Xfinity Mobile. :!:

Also from what I've heard from friends that have T-Mobile service, especially when they travel, isn't nearly as good as mine thru Verizon.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:36 am

ArmchairArchitect wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am
Another vote for Google Fi. Great price and coverage, and no data roaming charges overseas (this is HUGE).

Also calls to Canada are not charged extra.
Caveat emptor on "Great price and coverage". $10/GB of data is very expensive per GB and implies to get a great price you use very little data.

Sprint/T-mobile/US Cellular combined do not have as good of coverage as Verizon or AT&T (not saying everywhere, but overall).

Lots of nuances. As long as people do the research for their area and usage they will be fine. Getting the ultimate lowest cost plans will come at a sacrifice of some sort.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:41 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:32 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
neilpilot wrote:
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Well you failed my challenge, since I specified 2-line service, not 10 lines you apparently have that I consider a concession.

That's like saying my 100GB internet service costs only $33/mo including tax and fees, which it does, except that I have a discount plan thru my DW's former employer.

Or that my 2 mobile phone lines are free, when the service is really paid by my employer.

Except they are free, since I typically use very little data and have Xfinity Mobile. :!:

Also from what I've heard from friends that have T-Mobile service, especially when they travel, isn't nearly as good as mine thru Verizon.
I find that odd that you consider that a "concession", which you're apparently equating to getting something for free through an employer, but whatever. Nobody needs your personal stamp of approval for us to have two cell lines of unlimited talk/text/data for sub-$40, via a plan that anybody could sign up for. And my Internet is free Google Fiber, but I'm guessing you're going to call that a "concession," too, because you have to live in a place that has Google Fiber. I'm sensing bitterness and defensiveness in your post.

Also, yes, T-Mobile reception is terrible compared to Verizon's (my wife was on Verizon when we were dating). But nobody is talking about reception - only price.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 am

There’s lots of options. If you like Verizon and own your phones outright I would recommend Verizon prepaid. You can then mix and match plans for each of you. In addition you can buy Verizon prepaid refills on eBay for 25-35% off regularly to save even more money.

For example you could each have unlimited talk/text and 3gb data for $60 a month. If you bought discounted refills on eBay that could bring your monthly cost down to about $40 a month. If you want/need more data you could each have 8gb for about $50 a month after discounts. And you’ll get the added benefit of having the service directly with Verizon and not have to mess around with an MVNO. This means you’ll have higher network priority over MVNO users, unthrottled data, and the ability to easily add international roaming plans.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:41 am

I find that odd that you consider that a "concession", which you're apparently equating to getting something for free through an employer, but whatever. Nobody needs your personal stamp of approval for us to have two cell lines of unlimited talk/text/data for sub-$40, via a plan that anybody could sign up for. And my Internet is free Google Fiber, but I'm guessing you're going to call that a "concession," too, because you have to live in a place that has Google Fiber. I'm sensing bitterness and defensiveness in your post.

Also, yes, T-Mobile reception is terrible compared to Verizon's (my wife was on Verizon when we were dating). But nobody is talking about reception - only price.
OK, talking only price. My monthly bill for internet and 2-line mobile phone service, INCLUDING all tax & fees, is sub-$39. I can't believe your willing to pay that extra $1. :oops:

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 am
If I recall correctly from when I signed up for the plan, the first line was $50, the second line was $30, and lines 3+ were $10 each. So you just get your siblings, parents, whomever you want all together and connect on the same plan. I've got me, my wife, my mom, my dad, my sister, her husband, my other sister, her husband, my other sister, and my brother. I get the bill from T-Mobile, I pay the bill, every one mails me a check for their portion, which is divided evenly.

Other people can't do the same, because T-Mobile stopped offering that plan (Simple Choice) a couple of years ago in favor of more expensive T-Mobile ONE plans. Existing customers were grandfathered but OP can't get this plan.

uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:49 am

We have simple mobile. They use T mobile network. Everything unlimited including hot spots for $75 for both of us.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:51 am

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:56 am
Also Verizon and Sprint use the CDMA radio network while AT&T and T-MO uses GSM so if you move between them you will buy new phones it is not an option.
This used to be true, but as Verizon and Sprint begin to phase out CDMA (Verizon is ahead in this) in favor of LTE, increasingly all four major carriers have inter-operable phones. For example, any current-gen iPhone can be used on any of the four, and other manufacturers have also largely moved toward a single model for all four carriers. Sometimes carriers still lock phones, especially if you buy a phone with subsidized pricing, but you can usually get an unlock if you've paid off your phone or if you've been on the network for a certain amount of time.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 am

Since OP is happy with Verizon and Sprint coverage, I'd recommend checking out one of the MVNOs that use either/both networks. The cheapest option is probably Red Pocket, which you can use with any of the four carriers - unlimited data (slowed down after the first 2GB/mo) and calling for around $20/mo. Cheapest way is their eBay store: http://www.ebaystores.com/Red-Pocket-Store
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 am

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:41 am

OK, talking only price. My monthly bill for internet and 2-line mobile phone service, INCLUDING all tax & fees, is sub-$39. I can't believe your willing to pay that extra $1. :oops:
Mine's $36 monthly after taxes and fees for Internet and two cell phone lines (seems you're factoring the extra money my sister paid for unlimited calling/texting/data in Mexico last month as if it was something I pay for). I can't believe you're willing to pay that extra $3. Are we trying to get into some kind of frugal-measuring contest that will just derail the thread and get it locked?
02nz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:45 am
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 am
If I recall correctly from when I signed up for the plan, the first line was $50, the second line was $30, and lines 3+ were $10 each. So you just get your siblings, parents, whomever you want all together and connect on the same plan. I've got me, my wife, my mom, my dad, my sister, her husband, my other sister, her husband, my other sister, and my brother. I get the bill from T-Mobile, I pay the bill, every one mails me a check for their portion, which is divided evenly.

Other people can't do the same, because T-Mobile stopped offering that plan (Simple Choice) a couple of years ago in favor of more expensive T-Mobile ONE plans. Existing customers were grandfathered but OP can't get this plan.
Oh, really? That sucks. I got my plan seven years ago and have had no reason to look at other plans since then. And I guess I won't. :D Guess that's a win for the status quo. In that case, OP, I'm not sure what to do because T-Mobile apparently no longer offers the cheap plans. I'm under the impression that Sprint is also cheap, maybe they're cheaper than T-Mobile now? I'd recommend just heading over to the mall, because there will be T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon stores there and just get the current pamphlet from each and compare them.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:03 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 am
I'd recommend just heading over to the mall, because there will be T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon stores there and just get the current pamphlet from each and compare them.
No, OP should not do that. The mall kiosks are staffed by people who are incentivized to get you to pay more. And their best deals are online-only anyway. For example, OP can switch the Verizon line over to Sprint with an unlocked or Sprint phone, and get a year of service "free." I put it in quotation marks because there are still some Sprint "admin fees" but it's a few dollars a month. See: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/f ... mited.html

Or do their Unlimited Kickstart promo for $25/mo: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans/un ... start.html. This one is only good for another day.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Oof, these plans are terrible. We're paying $36 combined after taxes and fees for my wife and me with T-Mobile. To get this rate, we had to find 8 other family members and/or friends to come onto our plan. We also have taken on monthly accounting and billing for the rest of the group, since we typically get billed about $200/mo.Unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data (each line can get throttled if it goes above 2.5GB data, but nobody ever even comes close to 1GB).

Oh, BTW, the plan we have thru T-Mobile has been discontinued. But maybe you can find a friend and talk him into adding him to his grandfathered plan.
I added the above comments in RED based on further discussion. They are meant to be amusing, and not critical of LiterallyIronic, although maybe the name fits the post. :sharebeer

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:31 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:51 am
brad.clarkston wrote:
This used to be true, but as Verizon and Sprint begin to phase out CDMA (Verizon is ahead in this) in favor of LTE, increasingly all four major carriers have inter-operable phones. For example, any current-gen iPhone can be used on any of the four, and other manufacturers have also largely moved toward a single model for all four carriers. Sometimes carriers still lock phones, especially if you buy a phone with subsidized pricing, but you can usually get an unlock if you've paid off your phone or if you've been on the network for a certain amount of time.
Ah no not really. As a Sprint Network Eng my statement is correct. I'm not sure what website your basing that clam off of but Verizon is not ahead in anything they are not moving from CDMA it's a nightmare. Sprint has been moving away from CDMA in the labs for a few years now mostly because of the merger talks but nothing has been rolled out on the big network (LTE). The VoLTE rollout came first and 5G is eating most of the available employ cycles the moment.

Sprint & Verizon phones can be moved between each other *if* you've actually paid for the phone if it's leased like 90% of the phones out there are then no we can't leagly take it. Both companies have an entire department due to this issue it's a bureaucrats nirvana. Likewise AT&T and T-Mo phones can be ported if you own the phone.

Try taking a Verizon or Sprint phone into AT&T or T-Mo right now and see if they will port it - and yes I know the answer.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:31 pm
02nz wrote:
brad.clarkston wrote:
Ah no not really. As a Sprint Network Eng my statement is correct. I'm not sure what website your basing that clam off of but Verizon is not ahead in anything they are not moving from CDMA it's a nightmare. Sprint has been moving away from CDMA in the labs for a few years now mostly because of the merger talks but nothing has been rolled out on the big network (LTE). The VoLTE rollout came first and 5G is eating most of the available employ cycles the moment.

Sprint & Verizon phones can be moved between each other *if* you've actually paid for the phone if it's leased like 90% of the phones out there are then no we can't leagly take it. Both companies have an entire department due to this issue it's a bureaucrats nirvana. Likewise AT&T and T-Mo phones can be ported if you own the phone.

Try taking a Verizon or Sprint phone into AT&T or T-Mo right now and see if they will port it - and yes I know the answer.
Verizon is absolutely phasing out CDMA. See for example https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless ... down-looms. There was another thread here just a few days ago about the iPhone 5S not working on Verizon in the future because it doesn't support VoLTE. Sprint isn't nearly as far along, they haven't begun the processing of deactivating the CDMA network, but the move toward VoLTE makes clear which way they're headed, and that won't change even if the merger falls through.

As for taking a Verizon/Sprint phone to AT&T and T-Mobile: I've done exactly that, and vice versa. It absolutely works as long as you don't have a carrier lock, as I noted in my earlier post.

Now please get back to work so I can get more than one bar on your network. :-P

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:46 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Oh, really? That sucks. I got my plan seven years ago and have had no reason to look at other plans since then. And I guess I won't. :D Guess that's a win for the status quo. In that case, OP, I'm not sure what to do because T-Mobile apparently no longer offers the cheap plans. I'm under the impression that Sprint is also cheap, maybe they're cheaper than T-Mobile now? I'd recommend just heading over to the mall, because there will be T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon stores there and just get the current pamphlet from each and compare them.
Sprint has been very aggressive over the last two years the Unlimited and Unlimited Plus (god I still hate those names) are the cheapest on paper but it depends on other things than just the plan. Local coverage is king and it's all about the lease agreement - no 18 month lease then it's not cheaper.

I know there's been some high level talk about ending the lease program but I don't know if it's gone anywhere as it's a major money maker (think Ford credit program) and it's just hard to change something that big.

I'm not bashing the carriers (to much) but there's more to it than just asking a internet forum what there favorite cheap plan is. For instance I would never recommend one of the unaffiliated MVNO's that isn't owned by the carriers - the ones that will support any carrier. If you want a reliable long term service go with the big four in the USA.

I've yet to see a business plan where these unaffiliated MVNO's make money long term. They are buying pre-pay plans from the carriers and then charging you less for them. The math doesn't work long term unless they are trying to offer other services and using these pre-play plans as a loss leader. If you are the type of person that can jump between services easily and understands it then go for it you can save some money but if your a buy it and forget it type of person then no I wouldn't recommend them.

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:22 am
TotalWireless.com

2 lines sharing 15GB of data for $57+tax/month with auto-pay.

Verizon towers. Unlimited calls/texts.

Keep using your existing phones. You can pay less for lower data. TW is pretty competitive and keeps you on Verizon. No need to turn on Wi-Fi. :twisted:

Another vote for total wireless. We pay $87.26 all in for 3 lines, 25GB on auto-refill. I needed to stay on verizon network because of where I live, only Verizon really reaches our home. One caveat is that you currently cannot make calls over wifi with TW...my office is hit or miss (interior of the bldg) with cell service and some of my calls are dropped.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:03 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
I'd recommend just heading over to the mall, because there will be T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon stores there and just get the current pamphlet from each and compare them.
No, OP should not do that. The mall kiosks are staffed by people who are incentivized to get you to pay more. And their best deals are online-only anyway. For example, OP can switch the Verizon line over to Sprint with an unlocked or Sprint phone, and get a year of service "free." I put it in quotation marks because there are still some Sprint "admin fees" but it's a few dollars a month. See: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/offers/f ... mited.html
The kiosk vendors are 3rd party resellers so they are buying from another 3rd party typically.

Yes the fee's are between $10 to $18 a month.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Verizon is absolutely phasing out CDMA. See for example https://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless ... down-looms. There was another thread here just a few days ago about the iPhone 5S not working on Verizon in the future because it doesn't support VoLTE. Sprint isn't nearly as far along, they haven't begun the processing of deactivating the CDMA network, but the move toward VoLTE makes clear which way they're headed, and that won't change even if the merger falls through.
You maybe correct, but when read the linked articles I come away with a different impression. I really don't know if CDMA is being phased out.

The link states that Verizon is phasing out their "2G CDMA 1X network" and "refarming its 3G, CDMA EV-DO spectrum". Does this mean that Verizon is phasing out their obsolete CDMA format but not necessarily phasing out CDMA?

When I switched to Xfinity (on Verizon's network) we bought 2 LG Phones ($1 each using a promotion) that are both GSM & CDMA, so they should work in either case.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:59 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:46 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Sprint has been very aggressive over the last two years the Unlimited and Unlimited Plus (god I still hate those names) are the cheapest on paper but it depends on other things than just the plan. Local coverage is king and it's all about the lease agreement - no 18 month lease then it's not cheaper.

I know there's been some high level talk about ending the lease program but I don't know if it's gone anywhere as it's a major money maker (think Ford credit program) and it's just hard to change something that big.
Man, what's the deal with these bums? If I walk into a Sprint and say, "How much will it cost for two phone lines?" they'll reply with "Are you paying for your phone in cash or over the next 18 months?" That's ridiculous. If you can't afford to swipe your card and buy the phone, then you can't afford the phone. The only thing that should be financed is a house.

I looked up T-Mobile's "One" plan, and it's literally double the price of my plan for the same service. Guess I missed that inflation was 100% over the last seven years. Looks like Sprint is offering "Unlimited Kickstart" for $25/month (though no discount for adding more lines), which seems decent. It appears to me, at a cursory look, that Sprint has overtaken T-Mobile as the cheapest of the big four.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:05 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm
You maybe correct, but when read the linked articles I come away with a different impression. I really don't know if CDMA is being phased out.

The link states that Verizon is phasing out their "2G CDMA 1X network" and "refarming its 3G, CDMA EV-DO spectrum". Does this mean that Verizon is phasing out their obsolete CDMA format but not necessarily phasing out CDMA?

When I switched to Xfinity (on Verizon's network) we bought 2 LG Phones ($1 each using a promotion) that are both GSM & CDMA, so they should work in either case.
No, the article I linked is mainly talking about the shutdown of the 3G CDMA network. And here it is from the horse's mouth: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support ... se-218813/

"Verizon Wireless is retiring its CDMA (3G) network at the end of 2019. As a result, we are no longer allowing activation of CDMA-only devices, including CDMA-only basic phones and smartphones, or 4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice service. Current users of CDMA-only devices or 4G LTE voice-capable devices that do not support HD Voice service can continue to use their current devices until we retire our CDMA network, or can change devices as follows ..."

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm
02nz wrote:

CDMA is being phased out.

CDMA 1x is a voice and data carrier.
CDMA EV-DO is a data carrier.

I am not aware of a particular limitation with EVDO to prevent voice communications, but as it currently sits, traditional voice calls will not transmit over Sprint’s or Verizon’s EVDO network. Back in the day you’d occasionally run into a situation where you’d have bars and a 3G indicator but when you went to make a phone call it would fail because when the phone would try to switch to 1x there would be no signal.

Almost all current gen phones made for Verizon and Sprint will work on T-Mobile or AT&T. LTE phones without CDMA can be activated on Verizon. LTE phones without CDMA cannot currently be activated on Sprint.

brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm

02nz wrote:
brad.clarkston wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:31 pm
02nz wrote:
brad.clarkston wrote:

As for taking a Verizon/Sprint phone to AT&T and T-Mobile: I've done exactly that, and vice versa. It absolutely works as long as you don't have a carrier lock, as I noted in my earlier post.

Now please get back to work so I can get more than one bar on your network. :-P
I love armchair quarterbacks I really do.

Yes Verizon is shutting down there "2G" & "3G" CDMA networks - just like everyone else. But guess what standard there LTE network runs on ?

Here's the kicker the reason it's so hard to port between Verizon/Sprint to AT&T/T-Mo is because CDMA doesn't use SIM cards. While it's true we can put a fake SIM in a phone and make it work, in practice Sprint and Verizon almost never does it for a customer as up-selling a new phone is pure profit.

That's the part Verizon did first they added SIM support to the network we (Sprint) just rolled that out late last year along with VoltE. I will admit Verizon has a better allowed phone list than Sprint that's my main heartache. Just because most phones out there support both CDMA band's doesn't mean it's going to get activated on the network they limit the hell out of what phones are allowed. If you paid outright for a modern Galaxy or iPhone sure they will probably do it. For a 1+4/5/6 or a Google Pixel, or just about anything not flagship? Sadly no.

As far as moving to GSM that turns out to be pretty hard. Verizon doesn't really have a reason to do it outside of making fake SIM cards work for the MVNO's they might do it or might not in the long run. Sprint is doing it for the merger - tho even if the merger gets killed they will still probably do it due to the money that's already been invested.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm

Consumer Cellular:

- the current "plan" services smart phones for DW and me
- unlimited text and talk
-2 GB of data (typically much more than necessary for us since bulk of our online activity is via wifi)
- no contract
- can easily increase or decrease data, as frequently as month to month
- occasional data plan upgrades are provided by CC at no additional cost
- easy online bill pay
- $43 to $45 per month

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Austintatious wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm
Consumer Cellular:

-2 GB of data (typically much more than necessary for us since bulk of our online activity is via wifi)
- no contract
- easy online bill pay
- $43 to $45 per month
Again, that would be $30 with Xfinity. If you have a month where shared data goes up to 3G it goes to $42. If you go down to 1G it’ll be $18. No need to change your data plan each month.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:37 pm
Austintatious wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:21 pm
Consumer Cellular:

- no contract
- easy online bill pay
- $43 to $45 per month
Again, that would be $30 with Xfinity. If you have a month where shared data goes up to 3G it goes to $42. If you go down to 1G it’ll be $18. No need to change your data plan each month.
Well, I certainly would not turn my nose up at saving $180 per year on cellphone service but, as some of the visitors to our rural community come to learn, Verizon is not truly the "nation wide" presence it professes to be. Thanks for the response.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:25 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:
Oof, these plans are terrible. We're paying $36 combined after taxes and fees for my wife and me with T-Mobile. To get this rate, we had to find 8 other family members and/or friends to come onto our plan. We also have taken on monthly accounting and billing for the rest of the group, since we typically get billed about $200/mo.Unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data (each line can get throttled if it goes above 2.5GB data, but nobody ever even comes close to 1GB).

Oh, BTW, the plan we have thru T-Mobile has been discontinued. But maybe you can find a friend and talk him into adding him to his grandfathered plan.
I added the above comments in RED based on further discussion. They are meant to be amusing, and not critical of LiterallyIronic, although maybe the name fits the post. :sharebeer
:beer Well, that’s some serious fine print there, isn’t it?

wander

Post by wander » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm

If you like Verizon coverage, consider Visible wireless. It is Verizon prepaid. Unlimited for $40 including tax. You can turn on hotspot for your labtop or whatever devices you want. It does not have family plan so the cost is $80 for two.