Please help me understand my Data Plan

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PinotGris

Please help me understand my Data Plan

Post by PinotGris »

I have an iphone and have been on a legacy plan with TMobile for text and phone only. I use WiFi for everything else and when not at home I use what is available at coffee shops, malls, library etc and it has worked out mostly fine so far. We use a GPS device for the car.
Except now we are beginning to use Uber and that needs a data plan.
I signed up for a T-Mobile Simply Prepaid plan for $45. 4GB 4G LTE
The plan says Unlimited data of "3.4 MB/ unlimited all on-network data - I don't know what that slash signifies.
In addition:
"Upto 4 GB hi speed data."
These are my questions:
1. What is Data? Is the same as access to WiFi? That is all I care about, WiFi so I can text my Uber driver and let him know my location.
2. Would I always have Data/Wifi available as long as I keep my account filled?
3. What is 3.4 MB? Is that the upload, download speed? I don"t stream or play games on my phone. Does it matter to me? Will this allow me to access apps such as my bird ID app when I am on the trails?
4. Should I worry that the phone works off my house WiFi when I use it at home and not use my data plan, such as when I check Bogleheads or use WhasApp at home?
$. The Settings on my phone. Should I keep the Cellular Data on ON all the time?
6. What do I set Cellular Data Options?
7. What about Wi-Fi Calling - should it be off or on?
Thank you so much if you have read so far
michaeljc70

Re: Please help me understand my Data Plan

Post by michaeljc70 »

PinotGris wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:07 pm I have an iphone and have been on a legacy plan with TMobile for text and phone only. I use WiFi for everything else and when not at home I use what is available at coffee shops, malls, library etc and it has worked out mostly fine so far. We use a GPS device for the car.
Except now we are beginning to use Uber and that needs a data plan.
I signed up for a T-Mobile Simply Prepaid plan for $45. 4GB 4G LTE
The plan says Unlimited data of "3.4 MB/ unlimited all on-network data - I don't know what that slash signifies.
In addition:
"Upto 4 GB hi speed data."
These are my questions:
1. What is Data? Is the same as access to WiFi? That is all I care about, WiFi so I can text my Uber driver and let him know my location. Data is anything transmitted over the cellular network or wifi over the internet. Basically, anything that isn't a text or phone call. You don't need a data plan for texting.
2. Would I always have Data/Wifi available as long as I keep my account filled? You should have cell data. Wifi depends on your home internet (or coffee shop internet or whatever).
3. What is 3.4 MB? Is that the upload, download speed? I don"t stream or play games on my phone. Does it matter to me? Will this allow me to access apps such as my bird ID app when I am on the trails? That doesn't sound right. Not sure what that is. If it was 3.4 Mbps that would be a speed.
4. Should I worry that the phone works off my house WiFi when I use it at home and not use my data plan, such as when I check Bogleheads or use WhasApp at home? As long as you have Wifi on on your phone, it will use the wifi and not your data plan.
$. The Settings on my phone. Should I keep the Cellular Data on ON all the time? I would say no. If you are getting 4GB of data/month, that is quite a bit. There are apps that use data in the background, so turning cell data off would stop that, but I don't think it is necessary. I would monitor how much data you are using (either through the phone settings or T-mobile website) and see how it goes with cell data always on.
6. What do I set Cellular Data Options? Not sure. I don't have T-mobile or an iPhone.
7. What about Wi-Fi Calling - should it be off or on? Not sure.
Thank you so much if you have read so far
Laundry_Service

Post by Laundry_Service »

It looks like you get 4 GB a month of unlimited high speed data. The 3.4MB you have used is approximately .1% of your your high speed data for the month. Once you go over that limit it will go to a slower speed until your next billing cycle but you shouldn't get charged any extra.

When you are on wifi at home or wherever else any data you use doesn't count again your 4GB of high speed unlimited data.

It would appear at this time you can use your phone as much as you'd like and probably wouldn't have any issues.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I have my phone wifi setting set to off. I'm always using cellular. I use it for text, web use, google maps, text and talk. I've never hit even 1G in a month. My older son who is constantly streaming everything, watching videos, snap chat surfing uses about 5G a month but will use wifi when it's appropriate (as in not driving somewhere, but at college or our house).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

With such minimal data requirements, why don’t you use a prepaid plan from someone like Red Pocket or Pageplus? It would save you tons of money and still give you a usable plan. By the way, if you have WiFi access you can easily use Uber. I’ve done it several times when traveling in Europe.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:06 pm I have my phone wifi setting set to off. I'm always using cellular. I use it for text, web use, google maps, text and talk. I've never hit even 1G in a month. My older son who is constantly streaming everything, watching videos, snap chat surfing uses about 5G a month but will use wifi when it's appropriate (as in not driving somewhere, but at college or our house).
+1

I use WiFi at home, but keep it off at all other times.

Why? I sometimes use my phone to access financial data, have bank apps, and have credit card numbers stored. Sure, all this stuff is supposed to be protected, but when the pimply kid who works at a fast food joint discovers a new virus on the dark web he just might be able to get their internet server to serve it up to my phone along with my burger and fries.

Now my bank account may look anemic to me, but it looks like the source of all wealth to some people. And, if he manages to get my information sent back to him, my money can be gone...

I trust the phone company to not serve up a virus with their data a lot more than I trust some burger joint where "free internet" is an advertising benefit, not their primary business.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

CurlyDave wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:25 am I trust the phone company to not serve up a virus with their data a lot more than I trust some burger joint where "free internet" is an advertising benefit, not their primary business.
When you send/receive data over your cellphone, how do you know that you are connected to the phone company's cell tower? Do you know about "stingray" cellphone tower simulators?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

--vtMaps
"Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" --Voltaire, as translated by Norman Lewis Torrey
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

vtMaps wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 am ...When you send/receive data over your cellphone, how do you know that you are connected to the phone company's cell tower? Do you know about "stingray" cellphone tower simulators?

--vtMaps
I know about "Stingrays" and "Dirt Boxes".

1. They are illegal for private ownership -- the kid at the burger joint doesn't have one.

2. They are mostly used for law enforcement, where the interest is more drugs and a little bit of foreign espionage.

3. The government doesn't need high tech to steal my money -- they already have the tax code.

4. If I am going to use the internet I have to trust someone. Who do I trust more, the phone company or the burger joint?
student

Post by student »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:07 am
vtMaps wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 am ...When you send/receive data over your cellphone, how do you know that you are connected to the phone company's cell tower? Do you know about "stingray" cellphone tower simulators?

--vtMaps
I know about "Stingrays" and "Dirt Boxes".

1. They are illegal for private ownership -- the kid at the burger joint doesn't have one.

2. They are mostly used for law enforcement, where the interest is more drugs and a little bit of foreign espionage.

3. The government doesn't need high tech to steal my money -- they already have the tax code.

4. If I am going to use the internet I have to trust someone. Who do I trust more, the phone company or the burger joint?
I am a bit confused. Don't you have to click a button to join the burger joint wifi even when wifi is turned on?
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

student wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 am
...I am a bit confused. Don't you have to click a button to join the burger joint wifi even when wifi is turned on?
Only the first time. After that it is an automatic join.
student

Post by student »

CurlyDave wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:01 am
student wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 am
...I am a bit confused. Don't you have to click a button to join the burger joint wifi even when wifi is turned on?
Only the first time. After that it is an automatic join.
Yes. I understand that. I believe one can disable auto join. In any case, as long as one never gives permission to join in the first place, I think it is not necessary to turn off wifi while not at home.