Have you searched for your unclaimed property?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fundseeker

Have you searched for your unclaimed property?

Post by fundseeker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 am

It has been a few years since this was suggested here, so I wanted to mention it again. It is a great idea to check for unclaimed money in your state, but you should always go straight to the state's websites and definitely never pay any online service to find or process these for you.

You can find your state's site by googling your state's name and unclaimed property, then, at your state's site, search by last name.

Also, if you're bored, you can plug in names of friends or family. I just found several for people I know. I doubt they'd mind if you let them know there is money out there for them.

runner3081

Re: Have you searched for your unclaimed property?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:03 am

I have, always comes back with nothing.

To be honest, I am pretty diligent/OCD when it comes to money. Not likely to forget a closed bank account, etc.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:08 am

I have a few semi-dormant bank accounts.

I thought one of them had around $5-10.

When I recently logged on, I saw a 4 figure sum.

I was pretty happy. So, even though it was not to the degree of unclaimed property, I felt like it was.

I always setup small transfers in or out of dormant bank accounts.
Or make sure they are interest bearing.

No need for Nashville to take any more taxes.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

FS51

Post by FS51 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am

I did this about 10 years ago and never got around to mailing the form in. I finally did about 6 months ago and I had a Western Digital Rebate from when I was in college. Figured it would be about $5 bucks. It was $80 and I was thrilled. Good day. It's the little things...

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 am

[...]
Last edited by JoMoney on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Northster

Post by Northster » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am

I had an interesting experience a few years ago when a vendor I had used (and not a large one), took the time to check and notify me of some lost funds. I too thought I was pretty careful, but this one fell through the cracks.

Topic Author
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 am

And as I mentioned, if you search names of relatives (even deceased ones) and friends, you might find something for them. I found an AARP policy for one, but we haven't let them know yet. Good luck in your searches!

Blake7

Post by Blake7 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 am

I check periodically (myself and family). Several family members have a few bucks here and there, but not enough to make it worthwhile. However, I recently put an email to everyone where I work to check their own names in the database, as most people have no idea it exists, and there were over a dozen who had substantial balances, some a few hundred dollars, one even had over a thousand. I suggested I’m partial to single malt scotch in the email incase there were any decent finds, but luck on that one. :annoyed

Compound

Post by Compound » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:25 am

Years ago I had an admin assistant that searched my name (along with several other employees) after she saw a report on the news about this type of thing. She notified me that my name popped up as having unclaimed cash. I followed up with the state and was pleasantly surprised to receive several hundred dollars from a check that was incorrectly sent to a prior address and was never forwarded. :moneybag

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:35 am

thanks for the heads up...
My deceased bother of 12 years is on the list for over $100 and I'm the executor. Other friends and family members also on the list ,will give them the word.

doss

Post by doss » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:36 am

$34 for me and $150 for my brother! Thanks!

Now, I also need to check another state but their site is down at the moment...

Saelina

Post by Saelina » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:39 am

I claimed mine, and received it last year. Was about $170 . Just got a 1099-INT for $66 of it. lol

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:46 am

We discovered about ten years ago that my grandfather, who died in the 80’s, has >$100 of unclaimed property, according to his state’s website. The trouble is getting it. Basically, we would have had to reopen probate on his estate to even find out how much money or what it was from. Dad was alive back then, so I handed the task off to him. He eventually decided it wasn’t worth the bother. Grandpa wasn’t a wealthy guy, so it probably wasn’t much money, grandma had died by the time we discovered this, and any money distributed would have been split 8 ways.

I wish we had found it while grandma was still alive. It would have been much simpler to prove things, and grandma could have used the money.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:55 am

I have checked our state site several times over the years, until today I never found anything.

Today I see an unclaimed amount of $48.88 from UPROMISE.

Not bad for 10 minutes work. :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999

Edited to add: Is there clearing house of info for "paid up" life insurance policies that are in force but policyholders are unaware, have forgotten about, etc.?

I seem to recall being told about it when I was still at home, that would have been latest 1971. No idea who the possible company was, the amount, or any other info. Parents and siblings are all deceased, so no info there.

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999.
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 am

Nothing for me, but there's money for my late father, some at his office and some at his home, both of those from decades and several addresses ago, so I've considered documenting them to be more work than it's worth.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:57 am

Last year I received a letter from a company that scours the unclaimed property databases, notifies people that they have unclaimed property, and tries to get people have the company act as their agent (for a 20% fee). 25 years ago I probably would have paid the fee, but 20 seconds of Google searching informed me that I should just contact my state and get the money for free.

Mapache

Post by Mapache » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:58 am

I do this every couple of years and have always found monies for family and friends. Two weeks ago, I found almost $1;000 for my brothers.

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:06 am

I contacted my state (Ohio) and found out I have about $50 in unclaimed funds from Cleveland Indians baseball stock. As a gift from my best friend at his wedding, he gave the bridal party framed stock certificates from the Indians. This was about 20 years ago when they were pretty good, so the certificates are actually kinda cool sports memorabilia.

With the change of ownership over the years, the business was probably bought out somehow. The state sent me the forms at my request. Just need to fill them out.

Topic Author
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:43 pm

So, I'm glad it worked for some. Any more success stories?

averagedude

Post by averagedude » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Most people would be surprised at how many people have unclaimed money. I have done this and my name and 50% of my immediate family members have it. Unfortunately, most of the money is less than 20 dollars. I am a frugal person and i didn't claim the less the $10 that was owed to me since it was such a small amount of money. I'm sure some of you would say I'm a fraud when it comes to frugality.

erictiger

Post by erictiger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:39 pm

I searched couple months ago and state of Illinois has my $37 unclaimed money. I filled out all the necessary information online but was told that I also need to print out the form and mail it back with my ssn. I decided not worth all the risk for the $37.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:01 pm

found a couple for a family member.
Notified them.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 pm

Important point to go to the state's own site. This site is the National Association of State Treasurers, and sends you to your state specific site - https://www.unclaimed.org/

We had a claim for an estate that we had closed, that wasn't showing before we closed it. I was able to get the state (Mass) to tell me how much it was, so we could determine whether it made sense to re-open the estate. It did not.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:19 pm

The first time I did it was a couple of years ago. I had a couple of hundred in TravelZoo stock (back in the crazy internet boom they gave away free stock to folks that signed up for their newletter and other actions - at some point they liquidated it and paid everyone out but didn't track folks down to pay them) as well as some $15 rebate from a product decades ago (A check that was lost in the mail maybe).
I had no idea what to do with the TravelZoo stock on my tax return ...

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 pm

I ran my deceased FIL's name and found about $1800 payable to DW and her brother.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:55 am
I have checked our state site several times over the years, until today I never found anything.

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999.
but you're only done w/ the easy part.....finding the loot. :happy
You still need to get it back from the state..........I wonder how easy that is........haven't done it
myself but I know a few folks that gave up saying it wasn't worth their time.

My only experience was that I got notice from the state saying someone (party A)had my funds and that if
I didn't get it back from party A within 60 days, the funds would go to the state and recovery would have to be
from them (the state). I decided to bypass the state and get it directly from party A. Even then, it took a few
followups and 3-4 months of waiting.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm

The only money I ever forgot about was in a Wells Fargo Bank account. Luckily, they called me back years later to try to sell me death and dismemberment insurance. Got my 46 bucks back. My grandpa lost his pension for a US Megacorp. They couldn't find it for us, but he died young.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

cas

Post by cas » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:41 pm

erictiger wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:39 pm
I searched couple months ago and state of Illinois has my $37 unclaimed money. I filled out all the necessary information online but was told that I also need to print out the form and mail it back with my ssn. I decided not worth all the risk for the $37.
I have about the same amount, under my maiden name, that is something from a former employer.

As I recall, in order to retrieve it, I would have had to send in copies of my SS card, driver's license, and marriage license. (As well as something proving I once "lived" at that "address", which was listed as one of many, many cubicles I inhabited at various times during many years in a big corporation.)

I, too, decided it wasn't worth the risk.

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:54 pm

I know I have some $$ out there from when I interned in DC in college and sublet a house and opened phone service for us - but I have no old utility bills to prove an address so I can't claim it. I expect it was like $80 or so...oh well.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm

kaneohe wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999.
You still need to get it back from the state..........I wonder how easy that is........haven't done it

My only experience was that I got notice from the state saying someone (party A)had my funds and that if
I didn't get it back from party A within 60 days, the funds would go to the state and recovery would have to be
from them (the state). I decided to bypass the state and get it directly from party A. Even then, it took a few
Actually after finding the "treasure", I was able to complete the claim via the state website. Received an email confirming the submission of the online claim. So, I just wait.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:48 pm

For some reason, some states just list that the unclaimed property is either more than $100 or less than $100. Maybe someone did a study and decided that was the cut off amount for people willing to bother with the claim. Anyway, hope you all don't leave money on the table!

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm

About 30 days ago I found my name on the State of California's site.

Since the money had yet to be turned over to the State, with just one phone call to Comenity Bank my check for $0.01 is on its way.

chevca

Post by chevca » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm

I've checked a few times, but no one ever has anything for me. I feel left out. :happy

Post by 123 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:42 pm

You may also want to check the names of elderly or deceased relatives. There were a lot of people who held life insurance policies by MetLife and Prudential etc before they were demutualizied. A lot of shares that were passed out to policy holders ended up getting passed to the respective states when the address the insurance company had wasn't valid. The funny thing is that most of the time no effort was made by the insurance companies to check or resolve the status of the shares distributed from the demutualization when the life insurance policies were submitted with claims due to the death of the individual, often years later. I checked a number of names of (then) older teachers I had in school and many of them (now long passed away) had unclaimed distributions from the demutualization sitting in the unclaimed property office.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

BabyRN

Post by BabyRN » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03 pm

We received a letter from one of those " recovery services" that we had a fairly large amount at the PA treasury. We investigated and filed the claim ourselves. Also found 2 smaller amounts totaling $800.The "service" was annoying because even though we made no contact with them they called me multiple times.I just never answered.
We are actually not exactly sure what the smaller lost funds were other than they were from my husband's employer.We don't know why they would have sent a check instead of direct deposit.Those came much quicker than the other, larger one. The larger one did involve getting a notary signature and probably took 6 months to recover.
On the PA site you could talk to someone if you had questions and the one time my husband called the person was quite helpful.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 pm

Well, I'm kind of hacked. Found my dad's name on the NC website with what looks like a small premium refund (probably unearned premium) from the life insurance co. that paid out when he died. I was the executor and they knew that -- I handled all the paperwork so that the proceeds could be distributed to the beneficiaries. I haven't moved. All his mail came to me for years before he died, including the premium invoices. I simply don't understand how this didn't get dealt with during any of the five years the estate was open. :annoyed

NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:32 pm

Wonder if I can get paid in bitcoin?

Type of Property: Aggregrate Item
Cash Reported: $0.34
Reported By: CAPITAL ONE BANK NATIONAL ASSOCIATION

BL

Post by BL » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:17 am

I finally found my name there. I filled out a questionaire and they said it was enough so supposedly I will get a check in the mail one day. Probably a small whole life dividend check that wasn't cashed.

kacang

Post by kacang » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:34 am

Thanks! Found a long forgotten savings account (>$100) and a refund (<$100) that belonged to DH. Have forwarded the info to him.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:23 am

OMG!
Two things showed up.
First, something from the local county, greater than $100. Unable to connect to claim though. Perhaps it is double paid property taxes, if so should be 500-1000.
Other, from state I used to live in, again > 50 or 100, forget now. 1993. My name appeared as having 400 listings, no middle name-and it is all kind of generic. But it lists a town I used to live in. I open the claim info, google the street image of the address where the person was listed as living in Apt C, Holy claim Batman, it is where I used to live... I am mailing that claim form in. Health Care Services Corporation web site today says that

Health Care Service Corporation, a Mutual Legal Reserve Company (HCSC), offers a wide variety of health and life insurance products and related services, through its operating divisions and subsidiaries.

I have no idea what it could be, hope they put it in something interest bearing!

Family checked years ago and got a few hundred right before a vacation.

Thanks TA! :sharebeer
Pale Blue Dot

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:32 am

Got $750 from it. Not bad.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 am

I am sufficiently diligent about keeping track of my property that there is almost zero possibility that I would have unclaimed property, so I never take time to search those websites.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:48 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 am
I am sufficiently diligent about keeping track of my property that there is almost zero possibility that I would have unclaimed property, so I never take time to search those websites.
What if it is a life insurance check from another deceased party and you were the bene? Do you keep track of that also?
What if you paid something and say an insurance commissioner came back and so, oh no, too much, refund some money? Do you keep track?
What if you were the bene in a will and they could not track you? Do you keep track of that?

Stay proud, but what if you were wrong?
Pale Blue Dot

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 am

4nursebee wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:48 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 am
What if it is a life insurance check from another deceased party and you were the bene? Do you keep track of that also?
What if you paid something and say an insurance commissioner came back and so, oh no, too much, refund some money? Do you keep track?
What if you were the bene in a will and they could not track you? Do you keep track of that?

Stay proud, but what if you were wrong?
I checked. I wasn't wrong. But I'm not "proud," just don't feel like wasting my time when I already know the answer.

And, yes, I know who has died in my family in the last 50 years and whether or not I am an heir or a life insurance beneficiary, and I've done business with only a few insurance companies over the years, and all but two of those accounts are still active.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm
kaneohe wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999.

Actually after finding the "treasure", I was able to complete the claim via the state website. Received an email confirming the submission of the online claim. So, I just wait.

Broken Man 1999
Wow! Received a email this morning from the State of Florida's CFO's office telling me the claim was approved, and to allow up to 14 days to receive payment. Not too shabby of a turn-around time if it holds.

Broken Man 1999

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:00 am

Many years ago shortly after I got married, my wife's mother passed away, leaving my wife as the beneficiary on a small life insurance policy.

When we traveled to her hometown to settle things, my wife went to the bank to claim the insurance policy. The policy was supposed to pay out a double payment (I don't recall the details), but the bank insisted that it was only to pay out a single amount. My wife relented and took the payment.

About two years later, I searched her name on the state's unclaimed property, and sure enough, she showed up as being owed money from that bank. She filed the claim for the property, and finally received the other half of the life insurance payment.

A few years ago, her brother passed away. His name now shows up in the unclaimed property report, so the family has to provide documentation showing his death and their relationship. She hasn't started that process yet.

-B

bkweathe

Post by bkweathe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:36 pm

We found several payments that had been sent to my dad at an old address, apparently after he passed away. Some went to Ohio & some to Kansas.

I couldn't get my mom & siblings to deal with it before Mom passed away. When we finally made the effort, Mom's passing made it much more difficult to assemble the necessary documentation. However we ended up w/ enough to pay for her funeral & to get a nice payout for each of her children.

I'm not sure of the reasons, but it seems to have been easier to recover the money from Kansas than from Ohio.

Brad

Thecallofduty

Post by Thecallofduty » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:51 pm

Thank you for posting this thread. I have family that have benefited from checking.
-thecallofduty

MP173

Post by MP173 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:21 pm

$.25 (25 cent) dividend from Coca Cola.
$430.00 dividend from Alphabet.

Thanks for reminder

Topic Author
fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:22 am

Congratulations to those who found some money! Hopefully you found an extra minute to search names of others and use your powers for good :)